RCCL vs. Celebrity

I just returned from a cruise on Adventure of the seas and proceeded to book a new cruise with RCCL, but I had the loyalty ambassador price both RCCL and Celebrity for comparison. Celebrity came in $600 cheaper for the same date and room type. I thought Celebrity was more up scale and therefore more expensive. Does anyone have any idea why RCCL is so much more expensive?

I did book the Serenade, but I am thinking of switching to Celebrity. RCCL prices seem extremely high, they quoted me $1450 for an E1. Celebrity was $1100 for Concierge Class room. Does anyone have any ideas why the price difference?

Thanks,

Jerry

On the other hand, if you feel the cruises and cabins are about the same, I would go with X. We have cruised more with RCCL, but like them both. The main difference I have noticed is that X has fewer loudspeaker announcements telling you how many minutes it will be until bingo. Nancy

If you are not going to be using the rock climbing and the golf, etc then go on X cruise. The food is supposedly better and the entertainment about the same. Heard it was a bit more sedate than RCI. But the cruise credits are not shared although accepted by each for level you are at, but this will not add one more cruise to the crown and anchor count you have with RCI. But if you are diamond level then X will give you that level of perks.

Definitely more sedate -- I don't mean comatose, just a more refined, "old school cruising" experience.

I agree that the dining room is FAR superior. The French and Italian sauces and such actually tasted French and Italian! :D (unfortunately I wouldn't know how authentic the other ethnic cuisines are) However, for what it's worth, I much preferred the buffets, poolside grills etc. on RCI. The bottom line is that we enjoy both lines for different reasons. Personally, I would recommend that you give X a try. :)

The ships are nearly identical is size, Serenade is slightly smaller with 500 more passengers. So dollar for dollar, cabin versus cabin- I'd go with the Summit.

I have no idea why RCL is more expensive for that particular sailing. I am sailing RCL for the first time in years in April. I am a big fan of Celebrity however and have been on the Millenium and Constellation. So far, they have been my favorite ships.

Give Celebrity a try. It is going to be more sedate than Royal Caribbean. If nightlife is really important to you- then Celebrity isn't going to be your ship. There are people up until about midnight but it is a family type cruise experience with generations of family members or older couples.

Celebrity ships are understated and sophisticated but lack drama- if that is what you are looking for. I think they are great Oceanliner type vessels with expansive views of the sea. I am going on the Radiance of the Seas, though and am looking forward to it. I got a nice balcony stateroom for $899 per person. The same cabin would be over a thousand on Celebrity (normally).

While I believe that Celebrity will have a good children's program available for your so, I only have personal experience with RCI's kids program which was first rate and enjoyed very much by our grandkids who were in the same age category as your son. There may also be more kids his age on Serenade although neither Serenade or Summit have quite as much for the kids as Voyager or Freedom class ships. Whether those factors would justify the price difference for you is really a decision you have to make. I didn't check to see how similar or different the two itineraries are, but that could be part of the reason for the price difference. Just as a matter of interest you might want to track the prices of the two cruises. It may be that the Summit's prices will rise or the Serenade's will drop as the sailing date approaches.

Jerry

By coincidence I asked the individual who booked cruises on board last week--He was quick to point out that RCCL and X are different products-X is more upscale-better food -better service but less activities

You will miss the belly flop contest and horde racing on X

Your son will love the kids program on Celebrity. 3-6 is the perfect age for the kids program. My son has been in the kids program three times on Celebrity and loved it! He begged to go there day and night. Celebrity offers kids dinner every nite (except the the day of embarkation) at 6PM for a nominal fee ($ 6.00)- so your son doesn't have to go to the fancy dinners if he doesn't want to. Sometimes I would take my son to dinner for alittle while and then drop him off at the Fun Factory and have my dessert and coffee in peace.

As a parent I love the fact that the Fun Factory never shuts down from 9AM- 1AM. On our two week transatlantic there were only 30 kids on board. He had about seven little playmates his age and he was in seventh heaven. I believe the kids program is the best on Celebrity because it isn't over run with kids- except of course for Easter and Christmas. At which point Celebrity hires additional youth staff (at least 5 extra). I have traveled at peak season (where 300 kids are on board) too and he still had a great time.

Kids are easy to please but the Fun Factory is really great!

Thanks, to all that have helped

Mark, you are right the Adventure was fantasic last week, we were booking our Serenade trip and I happened to ask about Celebrity, I was curious about how much more it would be and by surprise it was $600 cheaper. Go figure, I thought that being more upscale it would therefore would cost more.

Rebeccalouise, Does the kids program cost $6.00 per day or what does it cost, and what are there hours?

Jerry

There is no fee for the Fun Factory between the hours of 9AM- 10PM, with the exception of port days. If you leave your child in the fun factory on port days during lunch 12-2 there is a charge or $ 6.00 per hour. If you leave your child in the Fun Factory after 10PM it is $6.00 per hour. If you send your child to eat with the kids at 6PM (they go to the buffet) there is a $ 6.00 charge.

So to make this simple, other than the times I just outlined- it is free.

YOu can see by my signature - we go back and forth. Here's my 2 cents.

Celebrity - more sophisticated but not snobby (for example the pool chairs are padded, not the plastic bands that tattoo you), better breakfast room service if interested, yes less children but really less in the school age zone and teens,food - no comparison, X far superior in every way, decor more refined, passengers more of the middle class, upper middle class variety. Less 20s more in the 30s to 60s. Fewer families but we have cruised in low kid times anyway. We have always found plenty to do at night. The only announcement is a noon announcement from the captain or the cruise director.

RCCL - atmosphere is more casual, food presentation is simpler but no complaints on dinner - breakfast and lunch the food can be bland. Louder presence and activities - but that can be attributed to younger and rowdier passengers. More diversity in ages and in income/education levels (not meant in a negative way - don't attack me for a general observation), crew is a little more casual toward passengers, not as formal

We have learned to appreciate the differences and have certain things that we favor. This helps our expectations before each cruise.

What is this about the credits not trasfering over? I thought they did. Is it that once you achieve a certain status on RCL or X, you then have the same status on the other? We were going to plan a Celebrity cruise, but we thought that would bring our points to three. Not 2 and 1. Can anyone clarify? Thanks

What is this about the credits not trasfering over? I thought they did. Is it that once you achieve a certain status on RCL or X, you then have the same status on the other? We were going to plan a Celebrity cruise, but we thought that would bring our points to three. Not 2 and 1. Can anyone clarify? Thanks

You cannot combine Celebrity and RCI cruises for your cruise credit total. However, whatever is the highest level you have earned on one line will get reciprocal recognition on the other.If you have two cruises on RCI and then cruise on Celebrity, you will have 2 and 1. You would need three more RCI cruise credits or 4 more Celebrity cruise credits to advance to the next level in their loyalty programs.

You cannot combine Celebrity and RCI cruises for your cruise credit total. However, whatever is the highest level you have earned on one line will get reciprocal recognition on the other.If you have two cruises on RCI and then cruise on Celebrity, you will have 2 and 1. You would need three more RCI cruise credits or 4 more Celebrity cruise credits to advance to the next level in their loyalty programs.

Basically what we were going to do.

I have 5 RCL 0 X

We cruise in Oct JS 7 nt cruise so I will hav 7 RCL 0 X

Cruise one more JS I will have 9 RCL 0 X

1 weekend jaunt in standard outstide state room I will have 10 RCL 0 X, this puts me Diamond level on RCL. From here take any cruise on X and I am in their top tier automatically PROVIDED that is the frist X cruise I have taken and join their program.

I'd take the RCL one but your prirorities might be different. We're learning that activities and entertainment are the most important thing to us and having sailed on X and RCL, RCL wins those contests EASILY. If food is your thing, you might like X better but I didn't feel the X food was necessarily that much better than RCL. THe specialty room on X is amazing, though. We had better table service on RCL. RCL has new bedding and so their cabins are better but X has nice little flourishes, too, like a free glass of champagne as you board. If age is important to you, the average age on Celebrity is ten to fifteen years older.

Credits do not transfer over. At Diamond on RCI, you are entitled to the perks of Elite status on X. These perks are no way as good as RCI's.

My opinion: RCI is very family friendly. X has a good kids program but is decidedly more laid back and attracts fewer families.

I would choose X for the better food and service, the Sommelier service and the Aqua Spa. I also prefer the adult atmosphere and better adherence to the dress code, a joke these days on RCI IMO.

RCI has better nightlife IMO by a wide margin. Activities are totally irrelevent to me as are shows, ice rinks, etc., but I love their fitness centers.

RCI takes much better care of their ships than X.

Bottom line is that RCI is a line that caters to families and I am not a fan of family cruises. If I had kids, they would be my choice.

Archived