Cunard dress code

newcruiserman

I never felt comfortable due to the dress codes.

That is one (of the many) good things about being on this board. You can ask what may seem to you to be a silly niggle (not just on what to wear) and get opinions about what you should do. That should help to make sure that you don't feel "uncomfortable" once onboard.

By Thursday of the week I was fed up with the whole dress code thing.... It will be a relief to not feel uncomfortable about dress codes on my next cruise in April, which is NOT on Cunard. :(

I am sorry that you had to go on a Cunard ship to find that they are quite dressy. If you don't like dressing up then I doubt there are many people on this board would say that a Cunard cruise was for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cunardqueen

Matthew

A merkin when l was told what it was l didnt believe it, and asked some friends, after they stopped laughing, l definately didnt believe it!!!!

On our cruise in October l will confide in you the answer l was given, and buy you a drink, If im wrong you can buy me a drink

I googled it - way too much information:

Kindlychap,

Guess this tight fisted scotsman owes you a drink, Remind me is it still or sparkling water:eek:

As for the dress code issue, l have no problems at all with it, and am very pleased to get all dolled up on formal nights, and informal nights, and QE2 wouldnt be the same if she ever went doen the road of the no dress code.

IMHO She is and always should be a formal expereince

I don't know, what if I pinned $1,000 dollar bills and gold stock certificates to my dress... along with seven Rolex watches per arm, plus gobs of diamonds hanging round my neck. Isn't that the point? like those bad boys with their bling? Looks like gold tire chains or dog leashes round their necks?

Karie my dear, that would be just so cheap and nasty, and you would lose all resepct from your fellow posters:eek:

Myles

Malcolm- You said: I am sorry that you had to go on a Cunard ship to find that they are quite dressy. If you don't like dressing up then I doubt there are many people on this board would say that a Cunard cruise was for you.

Malcolm,

I went on Cunard to experience the SHIP Queen Mary 2. There is no other like it in the world. I loved exploring the ship... it is amazing and fulfilled my expectations. I knew that I would have trouble with the formal atmosphere. I am much too casual to enjoy dressing up that many nights in a row. I felt very out of place in the Queen's Grill and wished I was in the Britannia instead. I was uncomfortable with having a butler (she was wonderful) and gave her a night off because I felt so sorry for her. (She worked from 6:30 am til 10pm with no days off.) I wish there was another QM2 for those of us who prefer to wear jeans instead of tuxedos, without all of the formalities.... But now I've been there and done that and don't really want to do it again. I thought I'd come back with happy memories of my week on QM2, but looking back I just remember stress and feeling very out of place. Live and learn....;)

I went on Cunard to experience the SHIP Queen Mary 2. There is no other like it in the world. I loved exploring the ship... it is amazing and fulfilled my expectations. atmosphere. I wish there was another QM2 for those of us who prefer to wear jeans instead of tuxedos, ;)

One of the reasons that all Cunard ships are what they are is the total ambiance which of course includes not only the physical ship but the passengers and how they dress in the traditional style that so very well fits the ship's decor etc. If the passengers chose to dress in jeans and other such basic dress then the QM2, The QE2 and the Vic would not have that ambiance that you went on board to experience.

As to finding another grand ship that allows very casual attire at all times, it will be difficult because few if any ships still in service are liners vs cruisers but there are hundreds of very elegantly appointed vessels that allow people to do what they want, dress however they care to and act in what ever manner serves them as individuals at the moment. The ships are lovely but there is lacking that ambiance that makes Cunard what it is.

One of the very last bastions of civility on the high seas. May the line always hold its standards high for those of us who relish such surroundings.

I dressed up every night on my TA last year. Different frock every night. (Same flat shoes though cos of my accident, which saved a fair bit of the suitcase space that hubby had to carry!!)

For me dressing up was part of the whole experience. (Must admit I got some good bargains in the January sales incl. TK Maxx in the UK)

Dear Freckles:

I am sorry you did not enjoy your cruise. They are much too expensive not to enjoy to the fullest. I am suprised that the formality took you by suprise. Every brochure prominently shows the passengers-all older, no children pictured, many in formal attire, especilly when featuring the dining. The brochures are always a good visual way to discern who you will be cruising with-ages, activities, formality etc. Either Cunard or your travel agent could have told you how many formal nights were scheduled for your cruise. I,for one,choose Cunard mainly because of the formality. I love dressing up! And I have so few opportunities in real life to get gussied up. I would like to experience Seaborn or Silverseas, but as they are less formal in general than Cunard, I keep comming back to Cunard.

Maybe I am in the minority, but when I am going on a vacation that costs as much as a small car! I research it as much as I would any other major purchase. It heightens my enjoyment and there aren't any unpleasant suprises. These boards are a wonderful resource, by people who have been there. I am sure there isn't a question that could not be answered here. Thank you to all who share you knowledge and experiences.

Quote:

Kindlychap,

Guess this tight fisted scotsman owes you a drink, Remind me is it still or sparkling water

Myles

Chart Room in October then?

All the best,

Matthew

Matthew,

l was rather hoping that based on your previous posts l would be invited to "that" place we speak of in very hushed tones:eek:

Who knows l might even host my usual cabin party away down in steerage;)

cheers,

Myles

Malcolm wrote:

When I saw an American brochure I was astonished how much emphasis it put on that feeling of superiority, something you just don't get in the UK.

Well, of course not. The Americans ARE superior. How could you put on the feeling if your weren't superior? <G> Sorry about you Brits!

Freckles wrote:

By Thursday of the week I was fed up with the whole dress code thing. I was tired of wondering if someone was judging me as inappropriate for the ever so elegant atmosphere.

It will be a relief to not feel uncomfortable about dress codes on my next cruise in April, which is NOT on Cunard. :(

Freckles, I am so sorry. I feel a bit responsible, as I am one person who told you to go, dress nicely and don't worry about it. While I, too, usually feel more comfortable in jeans, mainly because it is difficult for me to find clothes that look decent on my odd figure. I am not JUST fat, my weight is prominent in certain places, due to the way prednisone works and where you put the weight on- They do not make clothes for my figure, and it is hard to find clothes that fit, are comfortable and look good. Due to how my weight is distributed, I wear elastic waists (or my pants would fall down- and I still have problems if the elastic loosens over time) and scrub shirts to work most days. I don't think they make those in a formal version!

In some ways coming on to these boards can be detrimental to your enjoyment of a Cunard ship. There are a few people, in particular, who speak quite harshly and judgementally of those who "do not meet their imposed standards" Now, they may argue that Cunard sets the standard, but I do believe that no matter how hard they try to hold onto a bygone era, and in some cases seem to demand a rigid standard to bolster their own (perhaps faltering) egos and insecurities, that Cunard make "suggestions" and gives a bit more leeway than do some of these posters. Trust me. they may be vulgar and loud, but they are in the minority (and yes, it is always vulgar to criticize or look down one's nose at others) Next time you are on the ship (if you will ever go with us again) look at some of the wealthy dowagers, usually old money, and how they dress, especially if you attend the officer's private cocktail party. Yes, some of them dress as if they are trying to impress someone with how much money and jewels they have, and just how much "haughtier-than-thou" they can be, but just as many are wearing a simple pantsuit- elegant, but unadorned. It needn't be all sequins and gaudiness. You CAN be comfortable. Some of them even wear <horrors!> "sensible shoes!" (Men invented those godless pointy toes that squeeze your feet and toes, and elevate your heel so you are off kilter. Insecure men like women who are made to be a bit helpless- and can't easily run from them when bored to tears with their urbanities and "wit"!)

At any rate. I am so sorry you had a less than scintillating time due to the rudeness and ill-bred manners of those who somehow thought themselves superioir to you, or qualified to judge you. I'd rather be a kind, caring person (and having fun, at that) in rags, than a cold, imperious, witch in the finest silks.

Judge THAT, folks! If you see yourself in this, Please keep it to yourself. however, those who most should heed this will not see themselves. They think (wrongly) that they are always, oh, so right.

Freckles, If Jo, Maria, Penny, David (Bramcruiser), Beth, Trish, Deb Belledeb), Randy and Mary (of world cruise blog fame) the other Randy (of the dec 2 cruise bunch) and so many more- Let's see, I bet I could include neukruizer, cusyl, Gosh, so many I cannot count- If any of us are on a cruise, you sign up for that with us. We'll show you a good time, as for me, you can definitely sit at my table, and we will protect you from the rude disapproving looks down the nose of those who think their don't stink, as they say. One does not take a cruise SIMPLY to show off one's wardrobe or alleged taste in dinner clothing. That would be really obnoxious and truly tacky. Dinner is two hours of the day- Or if you ascribe to the adage that you can't come out after dark, then 4 or 5 hours of the day. This is not a prison ward or a military barracks- or a girls school, with uniforms. I think WAY too much emphasis is put on the WISHES of a sullen and pinched-lipped few. Ignore them. they have no class whatoever. Clothes do NOT make the man (or woman)no matter what they seem to think. You can put lipstick on a pig, as they say, but it is still a pig.

And Songanddance, I am sorry. I cannot equate civility with the kind of attitude that made this perfectly deserving person, no less of a marvelous human being than you or me, feel ashamed, or uncomfortable, or looked down upon. that is not civility. That is incivility, and has no place on, as you say, an elegant ship. As the Queen was reported to have said, (regarding the fact that she and -was it Margaret Thatcher?- had worn the same dress. "the Queen does not notice what other people are wearing. " Perhaps if a few more of us subscribed to that value, except perchance to compliment someone, maybe the world would be a better place.

Karie,

not in a good mood, as someone I care about was hurt by the poor and selfish attitudes of some people on this board. :mad: :(

Newcruiserman

As I am sure that you can tell, the whole dress code thing is an emotive issue!

My summary is: On formal nights most people do go 'posh' and most women do wear a dress. The thing to stress here is 'most' - its not all. If your wife wore a fancy 'pant suit' because she was not a 'frock' kind of girl, then that would be fine.

And like it or not (just so that you know) people on the QM2 do go casual during the day and they do wear jeans. The opinions of anyone on this board will not change this no mater how much they start upsetting each other.

(Karie - I hope that you have calmed down! If you were in the UK I'd get you to take a couple of deep breaths and have a cuppa....)

Dear T - To - Go

Sorry if I come across as being harsh in my postings. I am slightly beyond retirement age here in the US and all my life I have wanted to be able to enjoy the better things in life. One of which is dressing up and cruising in the Grand Manner. Unfortunately, until now I could not afford much of that type of life style. Now that I can, I have great difficulty finding it. Where I live, wearing a good pair of kahkis and loafers is over dressed. So when I see the last bastion of traditional style sailing being questioned or complained about, I tend to get a wee bit testy.

I have watched the entire NCL line go from a decent inexpensive offering to a mass floating McDonald's in a period of three years. That can happen to any line if the passengers do not stand up and be counted. HAL is also rapidally sliding under the waves of the casual attack. Can't we have at least one line where people can enjoy all of the traditions without being questioned as to their motives?

I feel a bit responsible, as I am one person who told you to go, dress nicely and don't worry about it.

And so you should!:D (To her credit Freckles67 does say "I knew that I would have trouble with the formal atmosphere")

Next time you are on the ship (if you will ever go with us again) look at some of the wealthy dowagers, usually old money, and how they dress, especially if you attend the officer's private cocktail party. Yes, some of them dress as if they are trying to impress someone with how much money and jewels they have, and just how much "haughtier-than-thou" they can be, but just as many are wearing a simple pantsuit- elegant, but unadorned.

The important word is elegant.

I tried to post a reply yesterday, but it took so ling to load, it deleted it and I do not know how to get it back.

I am one of those that love dressing up. I choose Cunard because of the number of formal nights. The original poster might have known this if they had asked their TA or Cunard how many formal nights were scheduled for their cruise/crossing or observed the dress of the people pictured in the brochure. The brochure gives you a good indication of the type and style of cruise you are booking. The pictures generally show older(no teenagers in wet tshirts, no children, most over the age of 50? and almost always in formal attire when pictured in the dining rooms) When I am booking a vacation that costs as much as a small car! I do my research as diligently as I would with any other major purchase. It adds to my enjoyment when I know what to expect. this would mean no unpleasant suprises.

In my real life, I do not have the opportunity to dress up-certainly not as formal as you can on the QE2. I truly enjoy that aspect of it. It is why I choose Cunard. I would love to try Seabourn or Silversea some time, but since they have gone to more country club casual, I would miss the over the top dressing I enjoy with Cunard.

On the other hand, we were on the QM2 last summer and a family we became acquainted with on board (and invited to join our table at dinner) wore very casual clothes at every meal. A denim skirt was "dressy" for them. And I do not believe they felt uncomfortable or judged in any way.

If freckles felt uncomfrotable, perhaps it was trying to be or act like something he/she was not. Not every ship is for every person. I would not like the NCL style. I do not think I would like Costa as it appears to have many children on board. Don't get me wrong-I love children, in fact I am a child care provider 50 hours per week! But I do not necessarily want unruly banshees on my vacation. By the same token, I , by necessity, wear very casual clothes every day for work, so I love dressing more formal on my vacations. Luckily, I have a husband and daughter who are willing to humor me. There are styles and vacations for all. I do not want to see Cunard dressed down though!

I tried to post a reply yesterday, but it took so ling to load, it deleted it and I do not know how to get it back.

I am one of those that love dressing up. I choose Cunard because of the number of formal nights. The original poster might have known this if they had asked their TA or Cunard how many formal nights were scheduled for their cruise/crossing or observed the dress of the people pictured in the brochure. The brochure gives you a good indication of the type and style of cruise you are booking. The pictures generally show older(no teenagers in wet tshirts, no children, most over the age of 50? and almost always in formal attire when pictured in the dining rooms) When I am booking a vacation that costs as much as a small car! I do my research as diligently as I would with any other major purchase. It adds to my enjoyment when I know what to expect. this would mean no unpleasant suprises.

In my real life, I do not have the opportunity to dress up-certainly not as formal as you can on the QE2. I truly enjoy that aspect of it. It is why I choose Cunard. I would love to try Seabourn or Silversea some time, but since they have gone to more country club casual, I would miss the over the top dressing I enjoy with Cunard.

On the other hand, we were on the QM2 last summer and a family we became acquainted with on board (and invited to join our table at dinner) wore very casual clothes at every meal. A denim skirt was "dressy" for them. And I do not believe they felt uncomfortable or judged in any way.

If freckles felt uncomfrotable, perhaps it was trying to be or act like something he/she was not. Not every ship is for every person. I would not like the NCL style. I do not think I would like Costa as it appears to have many children on board. Don't get me wrong-I love children, in fact I am a child care provider 50 hours per week! But I do not necessarily want unruly banshees on my vacation. By the same token, I , by necessity, wear very casual clothes every day for work, so I love dressing more formal on my vacations. Luckily, I have a husband and daughter who are willing to humor me. There are styles and vacations for all. I do not want to see Cunard dressed down though!

Quote:

Matthew,

l was rather hoping that based on your previous posts l would be invited to "that" place we speak of in very hushed tones

cheers,

Myles

I had that in mind for the return match, so to speak!

Matthew

:D :D :D :D ;) Thankyou !!!

I dont know that the brochures are a good indication of what to expect. I still remember some ten years ago when we took our first cruise... It was a Carnival cruise, never been on a cruise before and I did belevie thier brochure pictures of guests dressed to the nines, so elegant and formal. I was so disappointed to find it was not true... I guess 10 years later I am still chasing thoes pictures in the brochures, and booked a QM2!!

On my 4 crossings on the QE2 I never felt uncomfortable or in or out of any class. Could care less. I did enjoy the atmosphere of civility. The lectures, concerts and dinning companions were my favorite part of the whole experience. I have been curious about the world cruise and the many, many formal evenings. I am just going to switch things around a bit. Who knows maybe I will get myself a woman's tuxedo? We are all in the same class, the human species. Show me someone who escapes death and then I will be impressed with their status.

I had thought about a woman's tux. Also thought about ordering up a denim formal .... like you, coming from California (where I will be before the journey to New York) I am going to be traveling light .... so..... Mix and match is the standard. Ball dresses, probably not. I am a bit too heavy (being polite to myself) and too long in the tooth for them. It will be appropriate, not flashy, and not jeans for dinner even though now that I am retired I tend to live in them at home. And, in Durango, dressy here can include fancy jeans and a formal top (I will spare you that). But I hate to see someone's cruise spoiled by worrying about what other people are thinking when they are trying to do the right thing.

Let comfort rule. Don't want to be corseted or girdled. Still have nightmares about those ghastly yellow playtex things when everyone weighed little more than 100 pounds. I guess it was to keep your virture or make them die trying to get it. Uh, oh, think I am sounding crass. So I get the Durango, and you both are Scots? I plan to be in NYC on Jan 11, 2008, everyone here in CA keep saying "77 DAYS" I say hurray!

Dear T - To - Go

Sorry if I come across as being harsh in my postings. I am slightly beyond retirement age here in the US and all my life I have wanted to be able to enjoy the better things in life. One of which is dressing up and cruising in the Grand Manner. Unfortunately, until now I could not afford much of that type of life style. Now that I can, I have great difficulty finding it. Where I live, wearing a good pair of kahkis and loafers is over dressed. So when I see the last bastion of traditional style sailing being questioned or complained about, I tend to get a wee bit testy.

I have watched the entire NCL line go from a decent inexpensive offering to a mass floating McDonald's in a period of three years. That can happen to any line if the passengers do not stand up and be counted. HAL is also rapidally sliding under the waves of the casual attack. Can't we have at least one line where people can enjoy all of the traditions without being questioned as to their motives?

S&D,

Sorry I'm so cranky. As one of my favorite posters from college says (picture Ziggy, sitting on the can, pants around the ankles, with an empty roll) "Ever have one of those lives when nothing went right?" That's been the last year for me. We've suffered several losses. We just came in from an Irish pub Where the two of us sat looking downcast and Marc was almost in tears over one of our cats which died this week. (One of the quarantined ones we have spent a king's ransom saving from destruction by the animal control officer. We were all possibly exposed to rabies. We've already gone through all of the shots for humans, They are still quarantined in our garage) . I worked nights this week- I got moved from a job I loved where I was the king of the mountain (and always getting praised from even high up) to a job where I don't know anything, I'm not pulling my (considerable) weight, people resent me, I don't have the knowledge or tools to do my job and after a week of nights, afraid to call someone for help, and not enough judgment to know what warrants an emergency, and what doesn't, well, I'm not feeling too good about myself right now, we've had to spend some money unexpectedly (who doesn't!) don't know when we can book another cruise. (I know, "ya want cheese with that whine?")

Truthfully, I agree with most of what people are saying insofar as having a ship where elegance still rules. If 90-95% of the people on board dress to the nines and a small minority dress nice, but maybe not what some might consider formal, (Heck, when I was a little girl, if it snowed, I had to wear my snow pants UNDER my dress. Horrors! You could not wear pants to school- and no, I'm not Catholic, and yes, I'm that old!) then I think that still makes for an elegant cruise. It's not like you've got lots of people in jeans or T-shirts. I really don't think that a little slippage here or there means the whole ship has turned into some Carnival monstrosity with neon everywhere and screaming kids cannonballing into the pool. I still think she is elegant, and we can share her with others who may not be able to maintain the standard of dress that most everyone aspires to. I, for one, can't wear high heels for long, likewise, stockings, to me, are like wearing sandpaper, with the scratchy gritty part against my tender flesh. I love to look like those beautiful creatures who make it all look so easy and effortless, but <sigh> Alas, Life didn't bless me thusly.

I agree about NCL, from what I've seen. Carnival- Four days on one Carnival ship was enough to last a lifetime, thanks. And I only did that because I felt like I had to give it a try. (At the time, the travel agency I did outside work for was a big Carnival agency, the owner was a Carnival-holic, and I loved our rep) Heck, Our trip on Premier's Seabreeze when they were just about to go under (Literally and figuratively- She now lies at the bottom of the sea), the captain apparently sold our fresh water to the island of Roatan after hurricane Mitch destroyed a lot of their infrastructure (so we stopped in Mexico again to pick up fresh water!) was paradise in comparison. I'm not sure where you live, but here in CT, you would be heard pressed to find any restaurant where you wouldn't look like a total idiot (or at least, sadly, way out of place) dressed nicely (Cocktail dress) much less formal! Heck, the Inn at Lake Waramaug (all you need is the name to know it's upscale) saw people wearing corduroys and khaki. I once dated a millionaire. We went out in a 56 Rolls Royce (perfect condition) or Chauffeur Driven Limo. It felt marvelous "playing the part" but eventually, I had to climb back down to reality. <sigh> The upscale image is one thing I like about Cunard, though not the only thing. But a few people under-dressed won't ruin my time. There is so much more to love about Cunard than just the dress. And someone should not be made to feel that they aren't good enough, as happened to Freckles, here and on board. There's simply no excuse for that.

So yes, and especially since you are used to dressing for dance competitions, it is rare these days to find a place where the old elegance is extant. And it is a joy to behold. But I try to leave room for those who may not totally conform to my standards. Heck, Even a totally right-wing fanatic has something to contribute (yes, I'm a leftie) to a conversation or experience. I can always find some common ground, even with those who might seem anathema to me. I never know where another has been, or the experiences they'd had. So how can I judge? (even as I have sat in judgment here myself) I love to feel like I have just dropped into Breakfast at Tiffany's. But it wouldn't mar the experience if someone happened by who wasn't dressed the same.

So yes, I go on Cunard, in part for the exact elegance we have described. And I don't go on NCL or Carnival or RCCL for the same reason. HAL I agree is going downhill. But I like meeting all types. And the waiter serving me, from Romania or Manila has stories to tell which are as fascinating as the CEO sitting next to me. And just as much value, in my eyes.

So I'm sorry I'm so cranky lately. But I always want folks to remember that before you look down on someone else, or their choices, walk a mile in their (flat, "comfortable") shoes. And think how you would feel if you were just trying to have a nice time and someone intimated that you had ruined their experience by your mere presence.

The fact that you re-thought the way your statement may have sounded tells me you are a person with true class. There is nothing wrong in this world with a little humility. (Yeah, I know, I could use a little more myself)

I hope to share this marvelous ship with you some time. Though I am no longer able to dance myself, and truly, have lived my life as a klutz, I should love to see the two of you glide gracefully on clouds.

So many wonderful posts. So many kind replies. My friend Freckles. (And yes, she was here before her cruise, and knew what to expect) There are truly some elegant AND wonderful people here. (Well, only one wouldn't budge an inch!) I think maybe there were a few people who posted what I consider to be very mean, intolerant, judgmental posts before her cruise, and many who said, go, dress nice, but comfortable, enjoy! (I was one of them) Perhaps we poisoned the atmosphere with our strong emphasis on our disdain for those who did not conform absolutely. When you are told to look for people to look down on you, you tend to see it in every glance, every word.

Freckles, Honey, I'm sorry. I hope you give us another chance to prove we can be fun and accepting and kind. We really can. And yes, you deserve to travel on this marvelous masterpiece of engineering and style.

Thanks, everyone for putting up with my moodiness and crankiness and showing what truly classy people we do have here!

P.S. One more mention of girdles and I shall climb a steeple with an AK-47 and start picking off anyone in less than a size 18, and especially the men we try so hard to please in some of these torture devices! I'm not too young to have owned a few of those, and I still have a few garter belts, too!

I hope everyone has a warm marvelous weekend (Special emphasis on the WARM!)

Karie,

who is on call all weekend, even though I'm exhausted!

P.S. Can anyone tell me? Does Miss Bea on the QE2 wear a formal gown every night?

I have a reservation on the QM2 in August, it will just be myself and my 12 year old son. I personally can deal with the dress code, he will hate it, but he accepts it. My concern actually after reading these post are the people and your interpretation of civility. I like to have fun...no, not hang from the chandelier kind of fun, but I like to laugh and watch funny shows. I don't want to spend a week on a ship where I have to act proper the entire time and no, I don't use foul language either...I just plain like to relax and have a good time! Am I on the wrong ship?

WTP,

Ignore the COUPLE of people here who could not find their way to civility with a road map. Despite their constant whining about people not living up to their rarefied standards, the ship is not truly like that.

I honestly believe Nancy (Freckles67) had a bad time because there was SO much LOUD emphasis on these boards by the SAME FEW PEOPLE (who seem to think they speak for all), that she saw disdain and snobbery around every corner. After all, that's what she had read here- that people would be disapproving and superioristic. Do not take that to heart. I should send you the fabulous pictures of our cruise critics gathering. We presented our own queen mum (well, okay- she just acted like royalty- a royal ... no never mind!<G>) Nah, We presented her with a lovely purple T-Shirt (Which she later wore on board <gasp!>) that said, (and I quote) "Well La-Te-Da!" It looked magnificent with her bald head and tiara. Yep. She's not posting right now, because she is nursing a sore arm from lymphedema from her cancer treatment. My Marc wore jeans during the day (and cleaned up right nice at night!) At my dining table this time, we laughed until it hurt! We made horrible jokes and even wore a banner one night of "danger, do not cross" tape (The first night out was rough, the table next to us suffered a bit of the mal de mer. Suddenly, someone dressed like the Intel guys in the white tyvek suit, head to toe, and someone who looked like Carol Burnett's Washerwoman with a bucket and some rags, wearing ugly rubber gloves came scurrying over to scrub down the table- This in the middle of a somewhat formal (Might have been semi-formal. But dressy all the same) night! So if we could watch this in awe and amazement, and somehow it did not ruin our enjoyment, I think you will have a marvelous times. Besides, the rely pseudo-snobs keep themselves to the QE2. (too bad for the QE2 to be harnessed with folks wearing their girdles too tight, And BTW, Men can wear girdles too) They would never deign to sully themselves by stepping down to the MERE, somewhat more egalitarian QM2! Since you will be on the QM2, you can assure yourself that most of the people on board will be fun-loving, delightful souls who don't have the dour facial expressions of a sepia toned Victorian daguerreotypes!

Nope! They may not call it the Fun Ships,. But her passengers are fun. Ignore the spoilsports. You'll have a marvelous time. I am about as irreverent as they come. And they let me on there! Numerous times, in fact!

Karie,

who is so tired of people trying to scare everyone else off so they can have the best all to themselves!

Archived