Cunard dress code

newcruiserman

I'm a first-timer, taking the QM2's transatlantic route. I've searched the web and am getting confusing messages about dress code. For men, it's fairly clear, but could someone please tell me what kind of clothes my wife should pack? For example, does "formal", for women, mean long dresses? And on what occasions might a pants suit be appropriate? Thanks.

I'm a first-timer, taking the QM2's transatlantic route. I've searched the web and am getting confusing messages about dress code. For men, it's fairly clear, but could someone please tell me what kind of clothes my wife should pack? For example, does "formal", for women, mean long dresses? And on what occasions might a pants suit be appropriate? Thanks.

Rule one - don't ever tell your wife what to wear. ;)

Rule two - see rule one! :D

(I'll now leave this thread for some of our lovely lady members!)

Matthew

I haven't been on the QM2, but from what I've read, Cunard is more formal than most cruise lines, where "formal" to some guests means a collared long-sleeved shirt. :mad:

Traditionally (and thus apparently on Cunard), "formal" means long or ankle-length dresses for ladies and tuxes for men. Obviously, some men will wear dark suits and some women will wear short cocktail dresses -- but doing so may put you in the minority on Cunard whereas you'd be in the majority on most lines.

Informal traditionally means suits for the gents and cocktail dresses -- or dressy evening-style pants suits -- for the ladies.

Casual on most lines means anything but shorts or jeans. I think on Cunard it means business casual -- on the QE2, men still must wear a jacket.

We're going on QE2 this summer for 12 nights. I'm planning to pack two lightweight formals (assuming 3 formal nights) and probably 3-4 cocktail dresses (probably wearing each twice) and then a regular summer dress for the casual nights. Trying to avoid voluminous dresses and/or heavy (beaded) outfits. Trying to go with just black shoes. :rolleyes:

Part of the packing depends on whether your wife cares if people see her in the same outfit on more than one night -- some women do and some don't. Also, I believe the buffet restaurant allows more casual attire, so that may be an option.

I think people should wear what they are comfortable wearing. On the Cunard website under dress code it says that they put the "suggested" dress code for the evening on their daily navigator each day. Also, formal to one person is different from formal to someone else. I been on 3 different cruise lines and I've seen everything on formal night from gowns and tiarra's to black slacks with a nice blouse. I think they all looked fabulous!!! lol Have fun!

Not to step on anyone's "vacation" but Cunard is a very traditional line where the ladies and gentlemen enjoy dressing properly at all times. I would have to beg a difference of opinion as to the interpretation of Formal. I do not see an interpretation in the dictionary only a definition.

Cunard and particularly the QE2 appears to be the last bastion of good taste and civility, please let us not try to push the envelope here as has been done on so many othe lines. I have personally seen NCL go from a casual but attractive line to a work clothes line in the period of less than two years. So once the code is breached the hordes will over run the fort in short order.

You are correct that Cunard puts the daily attire code on the front of the Daily Programme and it reads at least on the QE2 "Required" not suggested. And of course there is always room service should one not care to participate in the festivities of the ship.

Back to your original question. Formal doesn't necessarily mean a long dress; it can be a quite dressy shorter dress or a lovely pair of silk pants and a sparkly or formal type of top. You will see a huge mixture of formal clothing for ladies and they are all appropriate. Pant suits, if they are casual, could be used for the first and last nights which are more casual or during the day. If the pant suit is dressier, it might be perfect for an informal night with heels. Depends on what type of pant suit you are asking about.

Aloha, Patti

This phrase 'Pants suit' causes us brits quite a lot of amusement. Pants in britain usually refers to mens underwear. After a few drinks one night one lady we spoke to said that if she sewed sequins on her husband pants and wore those would that be ok as dressy pants? I beleive QE2 has started calling these outfits 'Trouser Suits' What ever they are called as long as they are evening wear they are OK. Cunard used to state (I don't know if still does) that the dress code applied to the whole ship after 6.00 pm. I know a lot of people now change after dinner, but this is not really in the spirit of things. At one time Jeans were never seen anywhere on a cruise not even in the departure lounge. Freinds of mine travel to Southampton in casual clothes or shorts and change in the last motorway service station before southampton, the men changing to trousers shirt jacket and tie. I guess this is the British way of doing things the way the over 50's were brought up.

Hi,

I think if your wife wore a long dress or dressy cocktail dress (the first is better) on Formal nights she shouldn't feel out of place. That said, I've only been on QE2 where Formal means long dress (I'm not one for trouser suits) and DJ, Informal means cocktail dress and lounge suit, which is one of the reasons we choose QE2 and Cunard.

I think the requirement to dress on QE2 is wonderful - everone looks so elegant. The ladies look fabulous and any man looks better in a well cut DJ...

She should enjoy the rare opportunity to dress up!

And * more importantly * the excuse to buy new dresses, shoes, handbags...:p

I think people should wear what they are comfortable wearing.

I agree:) I think that if they want to wear "casual" clothes every evening they should find a ship that accepts that, in the same way if they go on a dressier ship then they should expect to have to dress up. CC is a very good place to find out what one should expect from a ship.

Cunard used to state (I don't know if still does) that the dress code applied to the whole ship after 6.00 pm.

It depends where you look - in some places they say that "elegant casual" is OK on any night in the Lido on QE2.

This phrase 'Pants suit' causes us brits quite a lot of amusement. Pants in britain usually refers to mens underwear. After a few drinks one night one lady we spoke to said that if she sewed sequins on her husband pants and wore those would that be ok as dressy pants? I beleive QE2 has started calling these outfits 'Trouser Suits' What ever they are called as long as they are evening wear they are OK. Cunard used to state (I don't know if still does) that the dress code applied to the whole ship after 6.00 pm. I know a lot of people now change after dinner, but this is not really in the spirit of things. At one time Jeans were never seen anywhere on a cruise not even in the departure lounge. Freinds of mine travel to Southampton in casual clothes or shorts and change in the last motorway service station before southampton, the men changing to trousers shirt jacket and tie. I guess this is the British way of doing things the way the over 50's were brought up.

<LOL>

How many times have I sat on these boards and wondered what in the heck the Brits were talking about! I kept scratching my head at "Jumpers" To us 'Murkins" (Americans) a jumpers is a sort of dress a little girl might wear with a blouse under it (as the bodice would not completely cover the chest) When it was applied to men, I thought of piloting and skydiving. The one piece pant and shirt sewn together at a high waist (or no waist at all, in some cases) like a "Flight suit" that the Top Gun Pilots might wear, is often calls a jumpsuit, particularly in skydiving, It's what one would "jump" in! I finally had to break down and ask what in heck they were talking about- Sweaters- I don't know if that's the cardigan style, Like Mr. Rogers wore, or the preppie type, over the head, on top of an oxford type shirt, or if it could be either. I was afraid to ask! OTOH, a leisure suit is something that men wore in the sixties (especially middle-aged men trying to look "cool") that was often polyester double-knit, in pastel colors (like livid lime green or baby blue) and with contrast stitching along collars, hems, pockets, etc. They were hideous, and should remain buried in some "land fill" (Which consist of anything BUT land) where never air or sun could reach it as they were SURELY not biodegradable! Probably could use it successfully to coat the outside of the space shuttle and make it through the burn-up of the atmosphere unharmed.

Now one thing I simply can't do, despite the photos, despite wanting to put my best foot forward one embarking on my nice formal holiday, is to dress for the occasion. The reason? I am a decrepit old hag of 52, overweight, I get overwrought, sweaty, and broken down so easily, and my left leg goes numb after five minutes standing. Now if I were to park my car, not have to struggle through the snow ice and mud, in the cold rain, to the porters with my luggage, whisk over to the check in line for my on-board ID and charge and climb the ramp to the entrance lobby, and to my cabin to drop off the handhelds I could do just that, and look fresh, breezy, and gay (in the older sense of the term) maybe a hat box in hand, poodle on the arm, huge sunglasses and wide brimmed hat (trimmed, perhaps in real ocelot?) Well, I'd probably have to rent the poodle- But no, Instead, I wait in an interminable line in an often hot, airless, glass and concrete building, carrying heavy coat or jacket, winter gloves, purse, 2 or three carryons including the one with the once-cold Bon Voyage champagne and wilted flowers, The days newspaper, half-read, grabbed as we pulled out of the driveway, the half empty soda spilling on me, my passport, license, credit card, tickets, the paper promising I hadn't thrown up in the past 24 hours, the pen I dug out of my purse to fill it out with, and maybe an extra odd duffle or roll-on case which doesn't roll any more. at least not without loud protest, so you carry/walk it on its little feet to avoid having every turn to look at me. I'm standing for two and a half hours behind a tired mother and angry father as their two young children in pink crinolined party dresses find two more young children to play hide and seek with and duck behind people and under the velvet (or perhaps more utilitarian meshed canvas) ropes separating the snaking line. shrieking out their fun and gaiety, until a sharp rebuke from one parent or another has them clinging to their mother's arm, pulling down on it like they no longer have the strength to stand on their own, pouting so hard that, As my dear Daddy used to say, "If you stick that lower lip out any further, you're gonna step on it" which was necessarily followed by a spat out, "you're mean" and wails of hurt tears- To cover up that I was trying not to laugh or smile. By the time I got to the front of the line, my hair would be in fly-away tangles and knots, a prominent piece sweaty and plastered across my forehead, except for the stubborn cowlick sticking up straight, my lip would be swollen from bumping it with all of the heavy stuff in my hand while trying to brush the sweat off, and having an allergic reaction (probably from all the concrete dust and sweat) <plink> they take the picture, and thank goodness it is washed out and overexposed- because that's who I am going to be every time I buy a drink or go ashore fore the next 12 days.

But other than that, I step gracefully out of the chauffeured limo, a dashing young man takes my hand and checks to make sure I don't turn my ankle in my lovely 3 inch spiked Manolo Blahniks (sp?) and my oh-so-smart Chanel suit, with patching hat, a la Jackie O in the early days.

Ah, who am I kidding. Back to the mechanics "jumpsuit;

Karie,

who will NEVER make the ads for "elegant cruise embarkation

So, you wonder why I don't wear a light carefree sailor suit? hat jauntily perched on my lovely tresses> Truthfully, I should be wearing a mechanic's coveralls, Lots of pockets for the stray tool, already greasy with handprints so my dity handprints owon't matter.

I think people should wear what they are comfortable wearing. On the Cunard website under dress code it says that they put the "suggested" dress code for the evening on their daily navigator each day. Also, formal to one person is different from formal to someone else. I been on 3 different cruise lines and I've seen everything on formal night from gowns and tiarra's to black slacks with a nice blouse. I think they all looked fabulous!!! lol Have fun!

I too must say the reason my wife and I chose Cunard for at sea holidays is because of the measure of civility and class they expect. I really don't understand those that know full well what is expected of them, and then attempt to drag down the standard to suit their personal preference. I don't for a moment suggest the original poster has this motive, but far too often, someone wants to know if they can get away without dressing accordingly. If you don't want to dress accordingly, why not simply choose a different line that welcomes a barrel and suspenders mentality? In my mind, it's like buying a ticket to a hockey game in a non alcoholic section and then complaining when the usher tells you that you cannot bring your beer to your seat. You knew ahead of time!!!

Karie,

You know what a merkin is over here?

Talk about sweaters....

Dorchester,

Changing at the Services? Hardly Cunard style....

What is wrong in driving down properly dressed?

Matthew

Matthew

A merkin:eek::eek: :eek: when l was told what it was l didnt believe it, and asked some friends, after they stopped laughing, l definately didnt believe it!!!!

On our cruise in October l will confide in you the answer l was given, and buy you a drink, If im wrong you can buy me a drink:D

Matthew

A merkin:eek::eek: :eek: when l was told what it was l didnt believe it, and asked some friends, after they stopped laughing, l definately didnt believe it!!!!

On our cruise in October l will confide in you the answer l was given, and buy you a drink, If im wrong you can buy me a drink:D

I googled it - way too much information:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_232.html

Peter

I think its insulting that you think someone has no class just because they may not want to shove their finest wardrobe into a suitcase to prance around in front of 3000 strangers! It's no wonder Cunard has so few ships!

The reason why Cunard has only a few first class ships is the same reason why Tiffany's has fewer stores than Wal-Mart. There are simply not that many people left in the world that appreciate the finer things in life and are willing to pay a premium for them.

Most people like to gad about in their work clothes or worse in their flip flops and sweat shorts where ever they go. Thankfully they do not do this on any of the Cunard ships. Sounds as if you would love the No dress code policy of NCL. There you can wear your dungarees with the hammer loops with no feeling that you would be even slightly out of place.

A pull-over Kari .... not a cardy.

No one is suggesting wearing shorts or jeans for dinner on Cunard. I think the original question was how dressy ..... If the men are in tux or dark suits, then it behooves us ladies to be in cocktail dresses or long dresses. Look nice!!!! Feel

EEEEEEKKKK!!!! The cyber ghosts kept grabbing my posts and making off with them before I finished. :eek: What I was going to add is that it is not the length of the dress so much as how dressy it is. As to the pants suit question, the same answer applies. Cheers ... (I give up now, I have tried to send full answers about 7 times.... you got two incomplete and, hopefully this one).

WOW! I have learned so much on the messaging board! I didn't know what a merkin was until today. :D I had to look it up.

Not having ever sailed before I probably don't have the right to toss-in my two cents about the proper dress on Cunard. But I have to say that one of the things I am looking most forward to is wearing my long beautiful formals on QM2 next year, I might just wear them every night! I am kind of a Cunard history buff and a lover of the original Queen. One of my favorite things is to dress-up and sip champagne in the Observation Lounge on the RMS Queen Mary. Maybe it's my British heritage. :rolleyes:

Betsy/534

I think its insulting that you think someone has no class just because they may not want to shove their finest wardrobe into a suitcase to prance around in front of 3000 strangers!

I don't think that what someone wears shows their class - just the wearing of something inappropriate!

There you can wear your dungarees with the hammer loops with no feeling that you would be even slightly out of place.

:eek: But where will I carry my hammer on formal nights? :confused: My mother always taught me to come prepared. Lord Baden-Powell would surely appreciate that! Gosh, what if the captain comes running up to me exclaiming, "We're all gonna die! I need a hammer immediately or we're ALL GONNA DIE!!!!":rolleyes:

For want of a nail the war was lost!:D

Karie,

Who is feeling particularly mischievous tonight. I have had to call 911 8 times already, (With 2 different phones) (that would be 112 in Europe and Britain) Next call I'm asking the guy for a date!

(It's my job- we're upgrading emergency communications equipment and I get to make the test calls, Oh joy! )

I don't think that what someone wears shows their class -

I don't know, what if I pinned $1,000 dollar bills and gold stock certificates to my dress... along with seven Rolex watches per arm, plus gobs of diamonds hanging round my neck. Isn't that the point? like those bad boys with their bling? Looks like gold tire chains or dog leashes round their necks?

What's that you say? Money doesn't equal class? Well then what's the point? You mean, I can't BUY class? Welll dammit! If I can't buy it, why bother?

I'll just steal somebody else's!

(Getting worse!)

Okay how about cool. Can I buy some cool?:cool:

That would be 112 in Europe and Britain

Not the UK:mad: (it should work but I've never heard of anyone using it:D ) we'd dial "999".

What's that you say? Money doesn't equal class? Well then what's the point? You mean, I can't BUY class? Well dammit! If I can't buy it, why bother?

Karie - class and dress are two different things. I doubt there are many people in the UK who would bother about your class as long as you were dressed appropriately.

On the subject of class I think that Cunard use it as a USP for their boats in the States whilst in the UK they tend to focus far more on the heritage. When I saw an American brochure I was astonished how much emphasis it put on that feeling of superiority, something you just don't get in the UK.

While I enjoyed my first Cunard voyage (Dec.16-23) I never felt comfortable due to the dress codes. First we had "formal" then we had "semi formal" and then we had "elegant casual." (What the heck is elegant casual???) I worried the whole time that I was not appropriate. By Thursday of the week I was fed up with the whole dress code thing. I was tired of wondering if someone was judging me as inappropriate for the ever so elegant atmosphere. I am not a snob, but I felt that the atmosphere (and some of the posters on this board) are socially way above me. I'd rather be a downtown girl than an uptown lady anytime. This is a lesson I learned from Cunard.

It will be a relief to not feel uncomfortable about dress codes on my next cruise in April, which is NOT on Cunard. :(

Archived