Cunard dress code

newcruiserman

I wonder which would create the most interest, a woman in a tux or a man in a dress?

On the January crossing it is alleged there was a man in a dress (very big hands) I didn't see it myself - just thought 'she might very well pass for sixty three in the dusk with the light behind her'....with apologies to Gilbert & Sullivan....but no way could she (or he) have passed for forty three...In any case the presence of convicted then acquitted (for murder) Sion Jenkins caused more comment...

Peter

Besides, the rely pseudo-snobs keep themselves to the QE2.

Oh no Karie - there are real snobs too! And also on the QM2....but as Eleanor Roosevelt said 'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent'.

Peter

If Mr Grumpy ever needs a wife, he now knows where to look!;)

Nothing on cruise forums are ever as likely to start a heated debate as dress codes.

Well here is my view. We love to dress up and as such Cunard will be right up our street. For us it's not about class or oneupmanship. We just love that feeling of being special along with other like minded people for a couple of hours a night.

In all honesty if you are not the type of people who like that sort of thing why would you chose Cunard anyway. Everyone knows they have always been more of a formal type company playing on old traditions.

We have cruised with Royal Carribbean and Princess and would not hesitate to return to their excellent brand if we wanted something slightly less formal.

It's about what makes you happy for those precious few days of your holiday.

"Let comfort rule. Don't want to be corseted or girdled. Still have nightmares about those ghastly yellow playtex things when everyone weighed little more than 100 pounds. I guess it was to keep your virture or make them die trying to get it. Uh, oh, think I am sounding crass. So I get the Durango, and you both are Scots? I plan to be in NYC on Jan 11, 2008, everyone here in CA keep saying "77 DAYS" I say hurray!"

I hear you about the comfort. The men have it so easy. As to the posting name, Durango is the place and scots are the dogs (3 of them and is that going to be a heft boarding bill!!!!!!). However, I am also a transplanted (many, many years ago, Scot). We plan to be in NYC, arriving on the 10th since we want to do some sight seeing and maybe a little last minute shopping. We will be flying from San Diego. And like you, I say Hurray!!!!!

WTP,

Ignore the COUPLE of people here who could not find their way to civility with a road map. Despite their constant whining about people not living up to their rarefied standards, the ship is not truly like that.

I honestly believe Nancy (Freckles67) had a bad time because there was SO much LOUD emphasis on these boards by the SAME FEW PEOPLE (who seem to think they speak for all), that she saw disdain and snobbery around every corner. After all, that's what she had read here- that people would be disapproving and superioristic. Do not take that to heart. I should send you the fabulous pictures of our cruise critics gathering. We presented our own queen mum (well, okay- she just acted like royalty- a royal ... no never mind!<G>) Nah, We presented her with a lovely purple T-Shirt (Which she later wore on board <gasp!>) that said, (and I quote) "Well La-Te-Da!" It looked magnificent with her bald head and tiara. Yep. She's not posting right now, because she is nursing a sore arm from

lymphedema from her cancer treatment. My Marc wore jeans during the day (and cleaned up right nice at night!) At my dining table this time, we laughed until it hurt! We made horrible jokes and even wore a banner one night of "danger, do not cross" tape (The first night out was rough, the table next to us suffered a bit of the mal de mer. Suddenly, someone dressed like the Intel guys in the white tyvek suit, head to toe, and someone who looked like Carol Burnett's Washerwoman with a bucket and some rags, wearing ugly rubber gloves came scurrying over to scrub down the table- This in the middle of a somewhat formal (Might have been semi-formal. But dressy all the same) night! So if we could watch this in awe and amazement, and somehow it did not ruin our enjoyment, I think you will have a marvelous times. Besides, the rely pseudo-snobs keep themselves to the QE2. (too bad for the QE2 to be harnessed with folks wearing their girdles too tight, And BTW, Men can wear girdles too) They would never deign to sully themselves by stepping down to the MERE, somewhat more egalitarian QM2! Since you will be on the QM2, you can assure yourself that most of the people on board will be fun-loving, delightful souls who don't have the dour facial expressions of a sepia toned Victorian daguerreotypes!

Nope! They may not call it the Fun Ships,. But her passengers are fun. Ignore the spoilsports. You'll have a marvelous time. I am about as irreverent as they come. And they let me on there! Numerous times, in fact!

Karie,

who is so tired of people trying to scare everyone else off so they can have the best all to themselves!

Please don't make fun of a very much loved member of our Royals who has sadly died. A little respect is sometimes due. You seem to think that we should all wear jeans,but forget that many of us are 6o+ and the weight has piled on leaving many of us at 160 pounds plus, It would hardly be appropiate for us to wear jeans,except at home with the cat blindfolded. We live our lives according to the standards we have been set and that is our comfort zone. Life on QE2 is how we like it, how we were brought up and where we feel comfortable. I am fed up with the continual mocking of other peoples standards. Manners maketh man.

P.S. Can anyone tell me? Does Miss Bea on the QE2 wear a formal gown every night?
Beau is always very well presented : usually gowned and jewelled, always on formal nights. And absolutely always with impeccable hair.

Well, it is her ship. Just ask her.....

Dear T - To - Go

Sorry if I come across as being harsh in my postings. I am slightly beyond retirement age here in the US and all my life I have wanted to be able to enjoy the better things in life. One of which is dressing up and cruising in the Grand Manner. Unfortunately, until now I could not afford much of that type of life style. Now that I can, I have great difficulty finding it. Where I live, wearing a good pair of kahkis and loafers is over dressed. So when I see the last bastion of traditional style sailing being questioned or complained about, I tend to get a wee bit testy.

I have watched the entire NCL line go from a decent inexpensive offering to a mass floating McDonald's in a period of three years. That can happen to any line if the passengers do not stand up and be counted. HAL is also rapidally sliding under the waves of the casual attack. Can't we have at least one line where people can enjoy all of the traditions without being questioned as to their motives?

I have a friend who calls Carnival "Sizzler on the Sea" His Dad just returned from a 7 day Mexican Coastal cruise and they arrived in port a day and a half late. He said rowboats were passing them.

I will be Amtraking from San Diego (actually Oceanside) to NYC. Here's to my phobia. See the world the old fashioned way.

As far as I am concerned Amtrak is the way to go. Last year when I finished up the 14 day segment on the QE2 from NYC to LA, I took the train back across the country. Took the long route LA to San Antonio, then up to Chicago then over to Boston. It was a great trip. Saw parts of the country I would never see by any other means. Saw parts of Mexico that the Mexican Government should be embarrased to have seen and met lots of very nice people.

Ther are only three ways to see the world, auto, train and ship and there is no place that one can not get to by one of the three. So I leave flying to the rest of the world, They can have it.

As far as I am concerned Amtrak is the way to go.

Ther are only three ways to see the world, auto, train and ship and there is no place that one can not get to by one of the three. So I leave flying to the rest of the world, They can have it.

We are leaving from Hemet. So how much luggage can you take on Amtrak? While I love train travel, I would be a bit concerned about the weather in the mid-section of the country. We were planning to fly and ship some luggage. I took a great train trip about 23 years ago ... train from Hong-Kong to London with plenty of stops along the way. China, Outer Mongolia, Russia, Poland, Germany, France, and U.K. Had a great time!!!!

Susan

We are leaving from Hemet. So how much luggage can you take on Amtrak? While I love train travel, I would be a bit concerned about the weather in the mid-section of the country. We were planning to fly and ship some luggage. I took a great train trip about 23 years ago ... train from Hong-Kong to London with plenty of stops along the way. China, Outer Mongolia, Russia, Poland, Germany, France, and U.K. Had a great time!!!!

Susan

Now that is my kind of train trip. I have always wanted to do the trans siberian rail journey.

Amtrak allows two carry on bags per person and you can check up to three more each at no extra charge. So it works very nicely for cruising. I would say that you have a better chance of getting through on the train than by plane if there is a storm. Of course if we get something like the western New York or Colorado snows of this winter next January then all bets are off.

Please don't make fun of a very much loved member of our Royals who has sadly died. A little respect is sometimes due. You seem to think that we should all wear jeans,but forget that many of us are 6o+ and the weight has piled on leaving many of us at 160 pounds plus, It would hardly be appropiate for us to wear jeans,except at home with the cat blindfolded. We live our lives according to the standards we have been set and that is our comfort zone. Life on QE2 is how we like it, how we were brought up and where we feel comfortable. I am fed up with the continual mocking of other peoples standards. Manners maketh man.

I can't find any reference to jeans being compulsory in Karie's post. I don't find her reference to the late Queen Mother offensive. Am I missing something?

Perhaps we poisoned the atmosphere with our strong emphasis on our disdain for those who did not conform absolutely.

Perhaps some people on this board were too keen to believe that everyone would like what they like and insist that they travel on a ship that wasn't suitable.:confused:

I just returned from a cruise on the Celebrity Line and it was considered "a formal ship" that asked that those sailing adhere to a suggested dress code. I completely enjoyed the whole routine of dressing up and making the evening special. While, I too reside in California and work in a casual environment (it is not uncommon for the owner of the company to wear shorts to work) the atmosphere created by the dressy attire was very special.

I am looking at cruises and therefore reading boards and franky I want to go on a Cunard cruise because of the reputation of the company and part of that reputation is the atmosphere. Part of that atmosphere is created by the standards set with the attire.

When people make a decision and choose to go on a cruise, spend tens of thousands of dollars on the trip, they expect to have others respect that atmosphere.

That being said, someone in jeans is not going to spoil my trip.

Conversly there are certainly choices that are comfortable, attractive (on other than size 5 people) other than jeans.

Just because someone chooses to respect the atmosphere and style of the cruise and follow the suggested dress code, does not make them a snob, a snooty pinched lip arrogant jerk. I think respecting the dress code is just that, a matter of respect.

If Mr Grumpy ever needs a wife, he now knows where to look!;)

Who, MOI!?:o

Nothing on cruise forums are ever as likely to start a heated debate as dress codes.

Well here is my view. We love to dress up We just love that feeling of being special.

In all honesty if you are not the type of people who like that sort of thing why would you chose Cunard anyway.

Sure there are other subjects:

Tipping

Bringing liquor on board

Food quality

The Entertainment

I can think of a few more!

I, too love to dress up. Never said I didn't! But I also respect that not all people are like me. And I cannot cope for too long with being dressed in certain things (stockings and heels for instance) I am handicapped. Too long in those clothes (the kind which would require dressy shoes and stockings- Mind you they don't have to be heels, but I don't think anyone wants to see me in a gown and sneakers!) and I cannot stand, never mind walk. Your description of dressing up (abridged somewhat here for space- scroll back for the original) describes to a tee my feeling. I get so few opportunities in my regular life. I have a closet full of formal gowns, but always seem to find an excuse to buy a new one with each cruise!

As for why anyone would choose to cruise on Cunard if they don't like to dress up:

Biggest library at sea

Some of the greatest culinary experiences at sea

Fabulous service

The only true liners left (or the last of the, or whatever)

Great, well appointed ship

Transatlantic Crossings (no other line does this regularly)

Oxford Discovery series

The only planetarium at sea.

Canyon Ranch Spa at sea

Need I go on? If dressing formally were the only reason to go on Cunard I would stay home and play dress-up much cheaper! and I could just as well go on NEARLY any other ship- even Carnival and wear a formal. There are still people who wear tuxes and formals, even on Carnival. Honest! I wore my gowns on numerous other cruise lines.

There are many, many reasons why one would want to cruise Cunard. My first cruise was on Cunard, and my TA at the time found a great sale. I didn't know one line from another, except to know that Cunard was a well-respected name. Many love the history, the type of ship, the routes she travels, the food, and more. That doesn't mean they necessarily love dressing up. Maybe a spouse had their heart set on it. How many husbands out there (or wives, or partners) have complained about wearing a monkey suit, (or equivalent) "but I do it for you dear"?

And by the way, I dress well enough to have been invited to both the Chief Engineer's table and the Captains' table.

Dorch, I was chiding a friend who has been know to act in a queenly manner. And owning a house on Fire Island she is honorary mother to many queens.;) Notice I deliberately used the lower case q in my previous post. Meaning that I was not referring to "the Queen Mum" Put your nose back in joint, please. I meant no disrespect to Her Majesty. (Is that appropriate? Or does that refer only to the Queen herself, and perhaps the Queen Consort [his majesty] I apologize for not being absolutely certain on protocols. I do try to respect them in any and ALL cultures, and apologize if I got that wrong through my ignorance.) I do not think that ALL should wear jeans any more than I think it is my place to tell someone they shouldn't. I try to be inclusive and respect people's personal choices for themselves. I am not so enamored of those who feel that it is their place to foist THEIR personal choices on others! I don't believe a single poster here has said they wish to wear jeans to dinner in the dining room on formal night. Not that I remember.

And since you bring up the subject, I am 52. I weigh 280 pounds. No that is not a misprint, I am not proud of it, and have mentioned that I am large, plus sized, and other euphemisms before. If anyone chooses to think differently of me because of it (yep- lazy slob that I am- I must be, else how could I be so fat! I must be morally degenerate to have done that to myself, not to mention deliberately ruining the lovely scenery for those who have been forced to look upon my ugly continence...or is that continents?<G>) Well, I am the same person at 280 that I was at 107- Which is 40 pounds less than the lowest weight on the Metropolitan Weight Tables (the older ones which have LOWER limits than the revised ones of today) for my structure and height, back when I had horrible Crohn's disease and could not keep weight on no matter how I tried. Now, thanks to the miracle of prednisone and the total destruction of my metabolism from this wonder drug, the 18 drugs a day I have to take to stay alive, some of which counteract the side effects of the other ones, and many of which have a side effect of weight gain. There's just a whole lot more of me. Do I like being like this? No. But I cried when I got my wedding pictures which could not hide the sunken cheeks and eyes, the collar bones you could ring your fingers around, the rib cage showing, I was ugly. Purely ugly. No hiding it. Especially the horrid sunken bony face. But I had no choice then either. Do I like being unhealthy? no. But it is the hand that life dealt me and I live with it. Do I get judged by people? hell yeah! Do I like that feeling? Absolutely not- There but for the grace of God go you- I modeled in High School (though I was never a tiny thing. My Bone structure was still what it is- why I was sticking out all over when I was underweight.)

Is it possible you will judge me for that? Go ahead, if it suits your purposes to do so. I can't do anything about that. I still have a loving caring soul, still do not wish to see people made to feel they are not good enough for this ship or any of its passengers because those passengers have judged her attire and found her wanting. You may have your standards. Just make sure you are perfect before you use them as a cudgel on someone else. I think that Nancy has fine standards. She is a marvelous person with a fascinating, scintillating personality who would never dream of saying something mean or hurtful of someone else. Her excitement about this ship shines so much it makes others smile. It's too bad some people seem to have found her wanting, according to all they hold dear. Those people should hang their heads in shame, whoever they are. I suspect at the Pearly Gates, St Peter will not be checking out your attire, but rather whether you have had a life of kindness and compassion. Or whatever type of true judgment there is in life- even if only our own. Who would you rather know? The clothes horse or the kind soul? Yes, I am being quite rhetorical and very black and white. Life is not that way. All of us have good and not-so-good in us.

I don't mean to be picking on you, and I am not saying that you are mean, or in any way judgmental. I am only answering your question and speaking to some of the attitudes I have witnessed on these boards. I love to dress to the nines, and believe me it isn't easy to do so in a size 24 gown. But I manage. Anyone who is totally grossed out doesn't have to look.

So, Yorky, while I feel you and I are probably more alike (In some ways, different in others- lucky for you! <G>) I also have compassion for those who don't share my love of dressing up, but are not in-your-face about it. And BTW, (Yorky? Cats? Place or terriers?) my cats love me in jeans... as long as I am holding a treat. Their only complaint about my ample heft is that my belly sometimes takes up that part of my lap which they wish to claim as their won. (and Joy! One of the original ferals that a mom-cat dropped off with us as kittens five or six years ago and whom we trapped, fixed, and released has shown up on our doorstep tonight! Her brother is one of the quarantined cats we are keeping right now, and her three kittens are our permanent pets! She acts like she wants to come in, will come in. but only if we hold the door open. If we close it, her outside, she climbs up the screen door to try to get in, just like she used to as a kitten! She is welcome any time, but we have had a rabies epidemic- we just got through the human shots- so she would have to be quarantined also if we took her in)

Yorky, I agree and will fight to the end your right to live to your standard. I respect it, and think it is an admirable standard. I will NOT fight to the end your right to insist someone else live to your standards (Of attire, at least!)

Karie,

who really does try to love all people. And wishes everyone would. Life is too short. Enjoy! Your next breath could be your last. Take it in with gusto! in a gown, or jeans.

Who, MOI!?:o

Sure there are other subjects:

Tipping

Bringing liquor on board

Food quality

The Entertainment

I can think of a few more!

I, too love to dress up. Never said I didn't! But I also respect that not all people are like me. And I cannot cope for too long with being dressed in certain things (stockings and heels for instance) I am handicapped. Too long in those clothes (the kind which would require dressy shoes and stockings- Mind you they don't have to be heels, but I don't think anyone wants to see me in a gown and sneakers!) and I cannot stand, never mind walk. Your description of dressing up (abridged somewhat here for space- scroll back for the original) describes to a tee my feeling. I get so few opportunities in my regular life. I have a closet full of formal gowns, but always seem to find an excuse to buy a new one with each cruise!

As for why anyone would choose to cruise on Cunard if they don't like to dress up:

Biggest library at sea

Some of the greatest culinary experiences at sea

Fabulous service

The only true liners left (or the last of the, or whatever)

Great, well appointed ship

Transatlantic Crossings (no other line does this regularly)

Oxford Discovery series

The only planetarium at sea.

Canyon Ranch Spa at sea

Need I go on? If dressing formally were the only reason to go on Cunard I would stay home and play dress-up much cheaper! and I could just as well go on NEARLY any other ship- even Carnival and wear a formal. There are still people who wear tuxes and formals, even on Carnival. Honest! I wore my gowns on numerous other cruise lines.

There are many, many reasons why one would want to cruise Cunard. My first cruise was on Cunard, and my TA at the time found a great sale. I didn't know one line from another, except to know that Cunard was a well-respected name. Many love the history, the type of ship, the routes she travels, the food, and more. That doesn't mean they necessarily love dressing up. Maybe a spouse had their heart set on it. How many husbands out there (or wives, or partners) have complained about wearing a monkey suit, (or equivalent) "but I do it for you dear"?

And by the way, I dress well enough to have been invited to both the Chief Engineer's table and the Captains' table.

Dorch, I was chiding a friend who has been know to act in a queenly manner. And owning a house on Fire Island she is honorary mother to many queens.;) Notice I deliberately used the lower case q in my previous post. Meaning that I was not referring to "the Queen Mum" Put your nose back in joint, please. I meant no disrespect to Her Majesty. (Is that appropriate? Or does that refer only to the Queen herself, and perhaps the Queen Consort [his majesty] I apologize for not being absolutely certain on protocols. I do try to respect them in any and ALL cultures, and apologize if I got that wrong through my ignorance.) I do not think that ALL should wear jeans any more than I think it is my place to tell someone they shouldn't. I try to be inclusive and respect people's personal choices for themselves. I am not so enamored of those who feel that it is their place to foist THEIR personal choices on others! I don't believe a single poster here has said they wish to wear jeans to dinner in the dining room on formal night. Not that I remember.

And since you bring up the subject, I am 52. I weigh 280 pounds. No that is not a misprint, I am not proud of it, and have mentioned that I am large, plus sized, and other euphemisms before. If anyone chooses to think differently of me because of it (yep- lazy slob that I am- I must be, else how could I be so fat! I must be morally degenerate to have done that to myself, not to mention deliberately ruining the lovely scenery for those who have been forced to look upon my ugly continence...or is that continents?<G>) Well, I am the same person at 280 that I was at 107- Which is 40 pounds less than the lowest weight on the Metropolitan Weight Tables (the older ones which have LOWER limits than the revised ones of today) for my structure and height, back when I had horrible Crohn's disease and could not keep weight on no matter how I tried. Now, thanks to the miracle of prednisone and the total destruction of my metabolism from this wonder drug, the 18 drugs a day I have to take to stay alive, some of which counteract the side effects of the other ones, and many of which have a side effect of weight gain. There's just a whole lot more of me. Do I like being like this? No. But I cried when I got my wedding pictures which could not hide the sunken cheeks and eyes, the collar bones you could ring your fingers around, the rib cage showing, I was ugly. Purely ugly. No hiding it. Especially the horrid sunken bony face. But I had no choice then either. Do I like being unhealthy? no. But it is the hand that life dealt me and I live with it. Do I get judged by people? hell yeah! Do I like that feeling? Absolutely not- There but for the grace of God go you- I modeled in High School (though I was never a tiny thing. My Bone structure was still what it is- why I was sticking out all over when I was underweight.)

Is it possible you will judge me for that? Go ahead, if it suits your purposes to do so. I can't do anything about that. I still have a loving caring soul, still do not wish to see people made to feel they are not good enough for this ship or any of its passengers because those passengers have judged her attire and found her wanting. You may have your standards. Just make sure you are perfect before you use them as a cudgel on someone else. I think that Nancy has fine standards. She is a marvelous person with a fascinating, scintillating personality who would never dream of saying something mean or hurtful of someone else. Her excitement about this ship shines so much it makes others smile. It's too bad some people seem to have found her wanting, according to all they hold dear. Those people should hang their heads in shame, whoever they are. I suspect at the Pearly Gates, St Peter will not be checking out your attire, but rather whether you have had a life of kindness and compassion. Or whatever type of true judgment there is in life- even if only our own. Who would you rather know? The clothes horse or the kind soul? Yes, I am being quite rhetorical and very black and white. Life is not that way. All of us have good and not-so-good in us.

I don't mean to be picking on you, and I am not saying that you are mean, or in any way judgmental. I am only answering your question and speaking to some of the attitudes I have witnessed on these boards. I love to dress to the nines, and believe me it isn't easy to do so in a size 24 gown. But I manage. Anyone who is totally grossed out doesn't have to look.

So, Yorky, while I feel you and I are probably more alike (In some ways, different in others- lucky for you! <G>) I also have compassion for those who don't share my love of dressing up, but are not in-your-face about it. And BTW, (Yorky? Cats? Place or terriers?) my cats love me in jeans... as long as I am holding a treat. Their only complaint about my ample heft is that my belly sometimes takes up that part of my lap which they wish to claim as their won. (and Joy! One of the original ferals that a mom-cat dropped off with us as kittens five or six years ago and whom we trapped, fixed, and released has shown up on our doorstep tonight! Her brother is one of the quarantined cats we are keeping right now, and her three kittens are our permanent pets! She acts like she wants to come in, will come in. but only if we hold the door open. If we close it, her outside, she climbs up the screen door to try to get in, just like she used to as a kitten! She is welcome any time, but we have had a rabies epidemic- we just got through the human shots- so she would have to be quarantined also if we took her in)

Yorky, I agree and will fight to the end your right to live to your standard. I respect it, and think it is an admirable standard. I will NOT fight to the end your right to insist someone else live to your standards (Of attire, at least!)

Karie,

who really does try to love all people. And wishes everyone would. Life is too short. Enjoy! Your next breath could be your last. Take it in with gusto! in a gown, or jeans.

Wow a lot of points made on that posting.

The reason I stated "why would you want to cruise with Cunard if you don't like dressing up" was more about feeling uncomfortable having to dress up when Cunard seem to be very strict about enforcing the dress code.

Sure they offer a lot more but is it enough if you can't stand the formality. It's their cruise line at the end of the day and surely if people want to book with them it's on the understanding that they are happy with Cunard 's stricy policy in this matter?

I wonder which would create the most interest, a woman in a tux or a man in a dress?

David.

I'll let you know after January. I'm assuming Victoria will have a Black and White and I have my eye on an EXTREMELY elegant (and not exactly cheap) woman's tuxedo outfit. I did wonder about it but many of the fashion magazines, not that I take too much notice of them, are forecasting the return of the ladies tux a la Deitrich

Liz

Wow a lot of points made on that posting.

The reason I stated "why would you want to cruise with Cunard if you don't like dressing up" was more about feeling uncomfortable having to dress up when Cunard seem to be very strict about enforcing the dress code.

Sure they offer a lot more but is it enough if you can't stand the formality. It's their cruise line at the end of the day and surely if people want to book with them it's on the understanding that they are happy with Cunard 's stricy policy in this matter?

Yeah,

Sorry about that. I'm like that in person, too! <G>

Yorky, I posted over on the upgrade thread- (Am I spilling secrets on this thread?) You mentioned you had chosen your cabin and didn't want to chance an upgrade (perhaps to an adjoining room) because you would be on your honeymoon!

So of course, me being the smart aleck that I am, I had to ask? Why are you worried about CLOTHES? You'll be on your hooneymoon! You won't need them! :o

Congratulations!

I'll let you know after January. I'm assuming Victoria will have a Black and White and I have my eye on an EXTREMELY elegant (and not exactly cheap) woman's tuxedo outfit. I did wonder about it but many of the fashion magazines, not that I take too much notice of them, are forecasting the return of the ladies tux a la Deitrich

Liz

I owned one of those some time ago, probably in the Annie Hall days when it was a big thing- women wearing "men's" clothing. It looked really sharp. And I have a picture that used to be on my desk at work of me (at size 12) in a three piece pants suit- (with vest) hair in a bun, big glasses (de rigeur in those days, and before lazik- Now I have the ubiquitous reading glasses perched on my nose! and my hair is tied back to keep it out of my way! (It is waist length!)

Anyway, it looked really sharp. And there is another woman on these boards who wore a woman's tux and her hubby/partner/BF (I forget their marital status) wore a man's kilt! (not a Scottish one, but there is a company over here in Seattle I think, that makes them as a sort of new fashion statement, they make them in everythign from workingmen's clothing, such as carpenters and such, to dressy and formal) I think the gender-bending couple was kind of neat! It hies to the "dress standard" while earmarking their individuality! No one could say they hadn't followed the dress code! Maybe it was thumbing their noses at the dress code, maybe it was just having fun, maybe they prefer a little androgeny in their lives. I figure it isn't my place to judge.

Yorky, you are right in this case. If the person was unfcomrfortable about reactions, then perhaps the wiser choice if she still wants to enjoy the other marvelous features of this ship would be to have room service or dinner in the King's Court, although I think most people still folllow the dress code.

I do think, however, as an aside, that if Cunard missed getting my bags in board, such as our January trip last year when they held the ship for some planes in an ice storm, but not for passenger's luggage, that I would do the best with what I have (since they rarely carry much of anything in my size in the shops, much less something that would look decent) and walk proudly in to dinner. Maybe buy a nice scarf or something, wear my heels or dressy shoes if those were in my carry on- If you can't hide it, I suppose you may as well flaunt it! I've never had to face that problem (we drove down from CT to the pier and left a day early due to the bad weather so we wouldn't get stuck somewhere and not make it. It was still pretty horrible driving.) But there were people on the cruise in that predicament. And the first three days were at sea, so you KNOW there was a formal night.

So just to trun this topic on it's head,

what suggestions would people have in that circumstance. Assume that Cunard did not offer to loan you something, the clothing in the shops are a hundred dollars for a blouse and another two hundred for a long skirt, never mind the hermes scarf and other accessories, and assume even then, they simply didn't have it in your size, or anything flattering to your figure. Would you bite the bullet and buy an outfit that made you look awful, and cost $500.00 or more, hide in your room with room service, Take a piece of cardboard and make a sign to put round your neck

"LOST OUR LUGGAGE!" Or

"I WENT ON A VOYAGE ON THE QM2.

MY LUGGAGE DIDN'T!"

or walk in brave and proud?

Or some other answer.

I'd love to know what people would do.

For that matter, it seems we had someone in exactly that circumstance on the winter crossing club! What did she wear that you gents raved about her ingeniousness!

Karie,

who really wants to know!

I once drove with friends to Nashville Tennessee (from Knoxville) for a wedding. We toilet-papered someone's house in the mud, then realized each of us thought the other had loaded my luggage in the car. It was sitting in the driveway back in Knoxville. All I can say is Thank god for Daddy's credit card!

So just to trun this topic on it's head, what suggestions would people have in that circumstance. Assume that Cunard did not offer to loan you something, the clothing in the shops are a hundred dollars for a blouse and another two hundred for a long skirt, never mind the hermes scarf and other accessories, and assume even then, they simply didn't have it in your size, or anything flattering to your figure. Would you bite the bullet and buy an outfit that made you look awful, and cost $500.00 or more, hide in your room with room service,or walk in brave and proud?

Or some other answer.

I'd love to know what people would do.

For that matter, it seems we had someone in exactly that circumstance on the winter crossing club! What did she wear that you gents raved about her ingeniousness!

Karie,

who really wants to know!

Karie,

I had a little black dress (the famous LGB), black ballet flats, my jewelry and a shawl I bought in the SFO airport in my carry-on. I mixed up the accessories for three different looks. I also spent $415 for a formal dress in the onboard shop (reimbursed by the airline) which I accesorized for three different looks. I bought a skirt and sweater in the shops (much more reasonably priced) and a lovely lady gave me a bag of clothing her friend had left behind. The ship took care of the laundry for free. Did I miss my luggage? Absolutely. Was I going to let it ruin my trip? Absolutely not! Chin up, shoulders back and walk tall.

Julia

who thanks the lovely shop assistant for finding everything they had in my size whether it came from the racks, out of the storeroom or off a mannequin.

Julia,

I wondered how you managed that!

Wow!

Very ingenious. yes, nothing like the BBD (Basic Black Dress!) and different accessories. heck the same large shawl can be worn several ways- Over the shoulder, as a neckerchief or scarf, if you are tiny, as a belt, Even with a kniot tied in the middle (kind of triangular and neat) and the ends tied together in the back. With the right scarf (I have one of those with different colored squares, depending on how you fold it) no one even need know it is the same scarf- Oh, yeah,I forgot, also as a sort of sash/apron (Long on one side) I guess that's why they have scarf tying classes on board, and if you re on a caribbean ship they are bound to have a tasteful pareo- two matching pareos can also go far for the inventive lady! Not exactly formal, but there are things one can do.

Yep! You were perfect for the fahion patrol. In fact, With tht kind of inventiveness, I think you should be made chief of the fashion police!

Karie, who has great admiration for your talent!

Archived