San Juan boarding

its2quiet

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find it and search won't work for me. So..... We are thinking a Southern Caribbean out of San Juan on either Serenade or Adventure. What time can you board the ship when they set sail at 10 pm? TIA

Just slightly off topic....is there priorty boarding at San Juan? That'll be my first Platinum experience!

When we cruised on the Adventure from the Pan Am pier, there was. It really didn't make much of a difference, since the terminal was not crowded. That was around 1:00 pm.

They call it priority boarding but it's exactly the same as all the rest. We were checked in in 5 minutes and went straight onboard. We were at the pier by 11:15 and on the ship (Serenade) before noon.

What was awesome was disembarking as a diamond member. We were the first off the ship (and I mean we were first). We got the first cab in line and off to the airport.

Just slightly off topic....is there priorty boarding at San Juan? That'll be my first Platinum experience!

People go early to get in line for this cruise and the line stays long outside. PLATINIUM and up priority check in line is not clearly marked nor is it easy to find. Basically half way back the line (and sometimes hid bid it) is a little area (roped off) where Priority Check In leave their bags and walk up the inside of the sidewalk (closest to the ship) without having to wait in the line.

We asked half a dozen times about priority check in without getting a clear answer then finally someone who knew what they were doing came out of the building and told PLATINUM and up to leave bags and proceed inside.

Inside there were no lines -- right to the counter and then onto the ship.

And to answer another question, yes - you can check in and then go off the ship. Just remember your cabin won't be ready until probably 1pm.

My wife and I are on the 3/17/07 5 night cruise on the Serenade and our cruise documents said boarding was at 7:00pm with a 10:00 departure.

I have been out of San Juan on several cruises and have always been able to board around 12:00 or so. I called Rccl 2 times and they said both times no boarding until 7:00 pm on this cruise. So I thought maybe the 3/10 sailing had a late arrival but I couldn't find anything on it, Until I found out it was a Gay cruise. So maybe they want all the (guys) off before we get there or they expect to do a little extra cleaning ...I would have been nice to know this before we booked we would have gone on another date or another ship Aos.

The late departure helps with the crowds as people trickle in all day spreading out the boarding rush. One thing I loved about my San Juan late night departure was cruising out past El Morro and watching it fade away. At night they have the fortress lit in such a way that it makes a truly impressive sight.

They have late sailings from San Juan because the people that fly in the day of the cruise don't usually get there until late afternoon or early evening. The smart ones [like us], fly in the day before and can get on board at noon and enjoy the ship for an extra day. The southern itineraries are great. Enjoy!

They have late sailings from San Juan because the people that fly in the day of the cruise don't usually get there until late afternoon or early evening. The smart ones [like us], fly in the day before and can get on board at noon and enjoy the ship for an extra day. The southern itineraries are great. Enjoy!

Ahh! But If you fly in early, morning, you'll still have time to enjoy the ship.

I have done this on many occasions...Never had a problem....

Noon time is best to board.... 3pm- lines are long....

Once you have boarded, can you get back off the ship and explore San Juan, I would rather check in and get rid of the luggage and then get back of and sight see!

Yes, once you have boarded you can come and go from the ship just like you can at any other port of call. You just use your seapass card to get back into the terminal when you go back to the ship.

Yes, once you have boarded you can come and go from the ship just like you can at any other port of call. You just use your seapass card to get back into the terminal when you go back to the ship.

That's great, thanks for your response

The smart ones [like us], fly in the day before and can get on board at noon and enjoy the ship for an extra day.

I'm flying in day-of (4/7) and will be there 10:30am to spend all day either in Old San Juan or on the ship. Oh, and I don't have to spend $$ on a hotel like you 'smart ones'.

I'm flying in day-of (4/7) and will be there 10:30am to spend all day either in Old San Juan or on the ship. Oh, and I don't have to spend $$ on a hotel like you 'smart ones'.

That is true, but we "smart ones" will not be tired from flying, nor will we have the stress of hoping that we don't have any cancelled flights nor delays which could cause us missing our next flight. To us it is worth the $$$. To each their own.

Originally Posted by YaMamma

For us, there is nothing more relaxing than getting into San Juan a day early, for the peace of mind. Since we live in the Northeastern US and usually cruise during winter months, it it worth every cent we spend on the hotel. Then we take our time walking around Old San Juan, have a great dinner at our favorite restaurant, "Ostra Cosa," then some awesome pina coladas at "Barrachina," where the pina colada was invented . The next day we enjoy a relaxing breakfast and get to the port around 11:15 or so. If there is a line, so be it, but the wait is usually minimal.

You have to do what works best for you. If you feel smarter flying in the day of the cruise, who is to argue? We just prefer the feeling that we are on vacation, by enjoying that night in the port city before sailing.

There is no right or wrong way to do it, if you are happy with your decisions.

Eric

Dear Pomperaugrr,

Thank you for the restaurant recommendation. We will be there on 3/30-31 with our 2 kids ages 6 and 9. Have you ever done any excursions from there - is the rain forest close enough to do it that day? We are staying at the Intercontinental the night before a 10pm cruise (coming from the NE) so we basically have 2 days there.

We've cruised out of Miami twice before -

Thanks!

We were on AOS last week, great trip BTW, and had no problem with boarding. We left our hotel at 12, arrived at the per at 12:15, checked luggage by 12:25, had sea pass by 12:30 and were on board by 12:35. Our rooms were not ready but we placed a couple bags in the closet and went for lunch. The weather was great and the trip could not have been better.

We have not done any excursions while in Puerto Rico. We usually stay at one of the hotels near the airport (based on price and availability), then take a taxi into Old San Juan. The rain forest is a possibility, depending upon how early you get checked in at your hotel. I really can't help you with excursions. The Bacardi Distillery tour is fun, but not so much so for kids.

Here is the restaurant info:

Ostra Cosa, Calle del Cristo 154, Old San Juan, Phone: 787-722-2672 (you may want to make reservations. This is also not a really kid/family oriented atmosphere. It is great for couples.)

Barrachina, 104 Fortaleza St., Old San Juan, Phone: 787-721-5852 It is near the Governor's Mansion. It does not look like much from the outside, but there is a stone marker that documents its claim as the originator of the pina colada. When you go through the entry and down the steps, it open up. This is probably my favorite place. This is actually a very nice and casual restaurant and bar. I love eating in the open courtyard. This is well worth looking for! This would be better suited to dining with kids than Ostra Cosa. The food and service were great.

Here's the link. http://www.barrachina.com/

There is a voucher for a free pina colada on the home page too! They were by far the best I have ever tasted!

Eric

We've taken the AOS out of San Juan and had no problems boarding at 3pm. We're going to take AOS again this April 23rd and plan to board at 12N, so we can enjoy the ship. We're able to do this because we're flying in a day early. I lived there for a 1 1/2 yrs. and there are places I like to visit again, so my next question is a result of living there during our last AOS cruise.

Does anyone know how to be one of the first off the ship with being only a Gold member. We have an 11:25am flight we need to make. Would have loved to stay another day and fly out on Monday, but work won't allow that to happen. I would appreciate any experiences with departing early due to an early flight. We booked the flights ourselves without help from RCCL.

Does anyone know how to be one of the first off the ship with being only a Gold member. We have an 11:25am flight we need to make. Would have loved to stay another day and fly out on Monday, but work won't allow that to happen. I would appreciate any experiences with departing early due to an early flight. We booked the flights ourselves without help from RCCL.

Sometime during the beginning or middle of the week you will be given a form to fill out regarding your flight. They will use this to decide who gets off the ship first. You can also go to the purser and explain your concern. You should be fine with that flight since, as you know, the airport isn't too far away.

Also, if you are flying, I believe it is Delta and maybe American (?), you can pay to have your bags checked at the pier. I believe that the cost is $10 per bag. That would save you time at the airport, also.

Archived