New law - Children DO NOT need passports...

Cotton

I just saw this on Yahoo news page. I hope it hasn't already been posted....I didn't see it.

When the new law goes into effect in 2008, children 15 or younger do not have to have a passport. Should make a lotta parents happy! Here's the link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070222/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_passports_children

The story doesn't say whether Mexico is included or not, much less about the Caribbean. The story only mentioned Canada. Has anyone else read a story differently? I guess we'll have to read further when its announced publicily.

While its great for Canada and Ameriicans close to the Canadian border, I am much more interested with the Caribbean and Mexican border and cruises to these locations.

I don't care what the age is, my DD will have her passport weather she needs one or not.

Yes it is only for 5 years but the price is cheaper than the 10 year also.

In my opinion, it is much safer to have a passport for my child than just a BC.

Actually, it would be much safer to never let her out of your sight, out of your house, or to even breathe unfiltered air. :rolleyes:

As for the price difference...$15 less for 5 years less....heck of a deal. (97 vs 82)

A passport is not some "magic shield" that protects you from everything and solves all your problems.

But, what do I care. Just like all the other opinions, everybodys got one.

The story doesn't say whether Mexico is included or not, much less about the Caribbean. The story only mentioned Canada. Has anyone else read a story differently? I guess we'll have to read further when its announced publicily.

While its great for Canada and Ameriicans close to the Canadian border, I am much more interested with the Caribbean and Mexican border and cruises to these locations.

Read the article again, it includes, Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Okay, maybe it's just me... but I would think that a passport requirement would be a good thing in parent's eyes. Anything that would make it harder for a child abductor to take their child over the border.

You don't need the passport to leave the country. It's for your return. :rolleyes:

Okay, maybe it's just me... but I would think that a passport requirement would be a good thing in parent's eyes. Anything that would make it harder for a child abductor to take their child over the border.

Like other posters I can't remember the last time leaving the U.S. anyone even glanced at my passport. Coming back into the U.S. it's a different story. I can't see how a passport would make it harder for a child abductor, I wish it would.

You don't need the passport to leave the country. It's for your return. :rolleyes:

Under the new law, it should be seen by the other country's border patrol when you go through. And they are supposed to be communicating the data back and forth. (Though to be honest, when I went to Mexico last time, there was no one checking.... you just walked across. But we get questioned every time we visit the US and they have started asking for ID when coming back to Canada from the US, now.

Under the new law, it should be seen by the other country's border patrol when you go through. And they are supposed to be communicating the data back and forth. (Though to be honest, when I went to Mexico last time, there was no one checking.... you just walked across. But we get questioned every time we visit the US and they have started asking for ID when coming back to Canada from the US, now.

Well in all honesty, any perp sick enough to attempt to smuggle your child out of the country would most likely have obtained a fake passport as well.

I don't see passports as anything that will remotely make your child safer. That argument doesn't make any sense to me.

It's the same old "it's not required so why should I do it?" When my oldest son (now 23) was a baby I went to Texas to visit family. The car seat law was in effect in VA, but not in TX yet. I brought mine with me and family with a new baby said "it's not the law yet so we're not doing it". I didnt' get it then and I don't get it now. Yes, child safety in a car and a passport are two different things, but why is it such a big deal to get one? Just because it's not actually in effect yet doesn't change the ease of use. It's not worth the possible issue of another country not recognizing it and the reality is they're just not that expensive in relation to the cost of a vacation. Spread out over years, it's very inexpensive. For every parent who complains about the cost, how many video games, pieces of clothing, etc that your child has wanted have you bought them this year? It just comes across as "you can't make me!" This has been beaten over and over and over again. I personally think passports should have always been required for sea travel as well as travel to Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean all along, just like any other foreign travel.

It's the same old "it's not required so why should I do it?" When my oldest son (now 23) was a baby I went to Texas to visit family. The car seat law was in effect in VA, but not in TX yet. I brought mine with me and family with a new baby said "it's not the law yet so we're not doing it". I didnt' get it then and I don't get it now. Yes, child safety in a car and a passport are two different things, but why is it such a big deal to get one? Just because it's not actually in effect yet doesn't change the ease of use. It's not worth the possible issue of another country not recognizing it and the reality is they're just not that expensive in relation to the cost of a vacation. Spread out over years, it's very inexpensive. For every parent who complains about the cost, how many video games, pieces of clothing, etc that your child has wanted have you bought them this year? It just comes across as "you can't make me!" This has been beaten over and over and over again. I personally think passports should have always been required for sea travel as well as travel to Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean all along, just like any other foreign travel.

That is an apples and oranges example. Has absolutely nothing to do with it. A passport does not make you "safer" as another poster put it. A seatbelt/car seat DOES.

You're probably all for the National ID card as well. That will make you all safe and cozy won't it. :rolleyes:

My husband and myself made sure our son of eight months will be traveling with a passport as well as ourselves just in case something happens medically and we need to be flown into USA for medical emergency. I believe if you don't have a passport you won't be able to fly back into US and will be treated at a hospital in Mexico. Just a heads up.

My husband and myself made sure our son of eight months will be traveling with a passport as well as ourselves just in case something happens medically and we need to be flown into USA for medical emergency. I believe if you don't have a passport you won't be able to fly back into US and will be treated at a hospital in Mexico. Just a heads up.

This is one of the biggest misconceptions on this board. A passport is required for all planned flights to the U.S. If something would happen medically the State Department is more than prepared to get you back into the country. What people fail to understand is that your name has already been sent to the TSA right after you set sail. It would be a minor issue to get back. Come on give the State Department more credit than to think they made rules to leave U.S. citizens stranded in foreign countries.

Archived