New law - Children DO NOT need passports...

Cotton

For the person who complained that kids' passports only last 5 years anyway, ALL Canadian passports last 5 years (at least the ones for normal people), and cost 80-something dollars. Your 15 dollars is not a big deal.

StuartLittle: It seems maybe your defensive and hostile comments on this matter might have something to do with the fact that you're the ONLY one on this thread who is speaking so strongly of this opinion. Others are happy to say what they will be doing and leave it at that, but you seem to believe that everyone must see it your way. There are more important things in life than this discussion, you should try to enjoy them.

For the person who complained that kids' passports only last 5 years anyway, ALL Canadian passports last 5 years (at least the ones for normal people), and cost 80-something dollars. Your 15 dollars is not a big deal.

StuartLittle: It seems maybe your defensive and hostile comments on this matter might have something to do with the fact that you're the ONLY one on this thread who is speaking so strongly of this opinion. Others are happy to say what they will be doing and leave it at that, but you seem to believe that everyone must see it your way. There are more important things in life than this discussion, you should try to enjoy them.

I would not say Stuart is hostile, but some of the arguments that people use to justify why you should have a passport are just plain humorous and Stuart is calling them on it - with a healthy dose of sarcasm.

...and passports are not $15 in the USA they are about $92, not sure where you got that.

Not hostile at all. I just find some of the reasons people give for "absolutely having them" humorous. Many are presented as "fact" when they aren't. Others try to scare people into getting them, which is silly.

I actually look forward to some of the replies. I LMAO!!!

As for the "to get a passport or not" discussion, I don't care either way. But at least make an informed decision, not one based on hysteria.

False sense of security maybe? I agree, if you don't need one, what's the point? I just got tired of reading the, "now you do.....now you don't....now kids don't...." Money wasn't an issue so Ali McG went ahead and laid out the coinage. Now I don't have to worry one way or the other. Of course I'm reading this thread so I guess I am somewhat concerned.....interested may be the better word. That and StuartLittle's responses. BTW, the kids loved your movies.

Okay, I've got to ask ...

1) Who are the non-normal people?

2) How do you tell a non-normal person from a normal one?

3) How long does a non-normal person's passports last?

There have been people who post on these boards and had their passports stolen in foreign countries and it was a minor inconvenience. As a person who travels a lot for business I am one of those people who leave their passport on board were it is nice and safe. I have had mine stolen and I can assure you it's a bigger deal to get it replaced. On foreign soil in the Caribbean they could care less if you have a passport. The passport is only required to enter the U.S. and the only reason it is checked by the airlines before you board is because its the airlines regulation not the governments.

OK, so enlighten us. What kind of hassle is involved in getting a replacement passport? The Dept. of State website indicates that the process is similar to getting an original passport. You fill out a couple forms and pay for a new passport. The only difference is that you have to apply in person at an acceptance center. I just checked and there are 8 of these within 10 miles of my home. I guess this would be an inconvenience if you lived in a log cabin in the Alaskan wilderness. Even so, I don't see how this would be more of a hassle than being delayed in a Mexican airport trying to get home. The U.S. Dept. of State reccommends that when travelling abroad, you should carry your passport with you. This isn't hype. This isn't doom and gloom. It is sound advice. As I said, $90 is a small price to pay to be able to travel freely, without question.

OK, so enlighten us. What kind of hassle is involved in getting a replacement passport? The Dept. of State website indicates that the process is similar to getting an original passport. You fill out a couple forms and pay for a new passport. The only difference is that you have to apply in person at an acceptance center. I just checked and there are 8 of these within 10 miles of my home. I guess this would be an inconvenience if you lived in a log cabin in the Alaskan wilderness. Even so, I don't see how this would be more of a hassle than being delayed in a Mexican airport trying to get home. The U.S. Dept. of State reccommends that when traveling abroad, you should carry your passport with you. This isn't hype. This isn't doom and gloom. It is sound advice. As I said, $90 is a small price to pay to be able to travel freely, without question.

The hassle is that when you get caught in a ruse so someone can break into your room and steal the passport the night before you are to leave the country. It becomes a hassle when you have to cancel the trip loose money on rooms etc. Passports are a hot commodity to steal and I inadvertently showed mine for ID checking into the hotel and the next thing I know I get a call saying that something is wrong with my account. So I grab my wallet go downstairs and by the time I figure out somethings up my rooms been robbed.

This isn't doom and gloom. It is sound advice. As I said, $90 is a small price to pay to be able to travel freely, without question (especially families).

For some people, $95 is a high price to pay for something they don't even need right now. Why buy something you don't need? Oh, that's right, the old "peace of mind". $95 will buy me plenty of that and then some without the "cardboard savior".

My kids travel with me just fine (for now and where we go) without the additional cost. When it's needed, we'll get it. Until then, that birth certificate seems to allow them to travel as you said "freely, without question".

If the gov't were to announce in 2009 that you had to re-enter the US "flapping your arms like a chicken", some of you would start taking classes tomorrow. It's a small price to pay for "peace of mind"

Okay, I've got to ask ...

1) Who are the non-normal people?

2) How do you tell a non-normal person from a normal one?

3) How long does a non-normal person's passports last?

Lol! I don't know what rules apply to diplomatic passports, etc... So the answers to your questions would be:

1) They're everywhere!

2) They walk around like you and me

3) Some of them don't even realize they're...

Wait, I'm thinking of something else. I see non-normal people...

For me, traveling the world means a whole lot more than schlepping down to Mexico and the Caribbean. Since I want to see as much of the world as possible, I and my children have passports.

I can see passports bringing peace of mind in that you know you don't have to screw with it if the laws change suddenly, you're already covered.

But I have to agree that I fail to see how passports can make anyone safer. Once misfortune befalls you, it may aid you in dealing with your troubles, but having a passport isn't likely to protect you from harm.

Most people keep their drivers licenses and credit cards in their wallets which are just as easily stolen as a passport and more rewarding to a theif. Since a passport does not fit my wallet, I keep my passport and wallet in a money belt.

While children may have been givien a break, adults next year will need a passport to sail abroad. If anyone thinks that sea passage passports will be delayed another year, keep in mind many many more people fly than sail. I did not notice any delays this year for air travel.

For those who say we still don't need them, next year you will if you are an adult.

Some may discount the US passport, but the reality is that in some places of the world it holds a lot of power. I travel very regularly all over the world and I often fly with people of different nationalities and I get to see the pain that people from China, Romania and even Germany have to go through in order to enter other countries... it is been eye opening to see these experiences first hand. In one case, one of my co-workers couldn't go on a trip with us because she didn't have a visa. Americans didn't need a visa but people from China had to have one.

No matter what you think of our state department, they have done a lot to pave the way forward into these countries.

BTW, I had this same conversation many years ago with some eastern Europeans and their comment was, "that little blue book opens a lot of doors that others can't get through so easily".

Archived