How long from HOU to Galveston port really? URGENT**

Bluegirl

An family emergency has come up necessitating travel from George Bush Houston on the same day of our cruise's departure. The flight would get in to Houston at 3pm. Is there any conceivable way to get to the port (Pier 2) in time for a 5pm embarkation? The ship's documents state that no one may board after 4:30pm.

THANKS in advance for any information.

An family emergency has come up necessitating travel from George Bush Houston on the same day of our cruise's departure. The flight would get in to Houston at 3pm. Is there any conceivable way to get to the port (Pier 2) in time for a 5pm embarkation? The ship's documents state that no one may board after 4:30pm.

THANKS in advance for any information.

It will be very tight as it takes about 1 1/2 hours from IAH and the traffic could make it longer. If you can fly into Houston Hobby you will stand a much better chance as it is only 45 minutes to Galveston.

I would not chance it on the same day.

I would hate to say "no it can't be done" but I will say that if your plane lands at George HW Bush Intercontinental, and you got your luggage in less than ten minutes and were in a car heading to Galveston by 3:15 then you should get to the port right at 4:30 assuming that there is not an accident or delays (particularly on I-45). If you are driving at that hour during the work week you are likely to hit some delays in Houston. If it is on a Friday afternoon in the spring/summer you are likely to have delays on I-45.

Incidentally, the airport code for GHWBush Interncontinental is IAH. In you title you said HOU which is the code for Houston's Hobby airport. If you are instead flying into Hobby your chances of making it increase because Hobby is south of Houston.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

You will run into a delay on I45S. Just past the interchange of Beltway 8 and I45S at the Dixie Rd. overpass, the freeway funnels from down to three lanes with traffic from three entry ramps trying to merge. You could have a 10-15 min. delay in getting past this bottleneck.

There is freeway construction between Nasa Rd. 1 and the League City exit. Based on your timeline, there is no way you will make a 5:00pm embarkation in Galveston flying into IAH.

If you can fly into Hobby, you would have an outside chance of making it as Hobby is about 45 min. from Galveston. But you still have the traffic to deal with.

Good Luck

An family emergency has come up necessitating travel from George Bush Houston on the same day of our cruise's departure. The flight would get in to Houston at 3pm.

Not to pick nits but HOU = Houston Hobby; IAH = Bush Intercontinental. You don't say what day you're flying in but there's no way you can get from IAH to Galveston in 90 minutes (if you're including deplaning, picking up luggage, finding transport).

... thank you, everyone who responded. When I read your replies this morning, I despaired about getting on the boat with the rest of my family.

What happened was this (and please, no floggings as I've already self-flogged a million times over this since Friday): We had one passport and three birth certificates, the latter for me and my two babies. I had been asking my husband for WEEKS to get the BC's out of our safe - even thinking I would pay the extra expedited fee to FINALLY and definitively get passports for our whole family - mine recently expired - but, alas, time passed and I did not see the documents. Finally he got them out, and Friday night I logged into RCI to get all our SetSail docs in order (we cruise on the Splendour of the Seas out of Galveston on Monday, were planning to fly in Sunday night to avoid and troubles or rushing). And behold! There were TWO BC's for my older son but none for my baby. We have no birth certificate for him! And it was Friday night!

I was trying to figure out how I could drive deep into Denver early Monday morning, get his BC and still fly out in time to make the boat. The only flight we could conceivably make would not land in IAH (not Hobby) until 3pm. NOW I've found out I can get a BC in Boulder (near where we live) at 8am and thus make a flight leaving at 10:40. It lands in IAH at 2pm - an entire hour ahead of the 'red zone' time. That gives us 2 1/2 hours to get to the boat by 4:30pm (barring horrific eventualities, I know, still pushing it). But still - I think we'll make it now. I will not be checking any baggage as my husband and other son will still be flying into Galveston Sunday night with our big group and will take all our luggage along. I'll just have a day bag, stroller, car seat and baby. So I can hop right into a taxi or car (still need to research what the best transportation for two will be to the pier).

So YAY! I will be cruising after all! I thought my heart would break since this is a long-awaited vacation - the first in years - and as I said, with a huge group of 26 friends. It would be awful to be left behind due to such stupidity on our parts. We're still shaking our heads over the fact that we don't seem to have an official birth certificate for our baby anywhere. Now I've really learned my lesson and plan to get us all passports as soon as we return.

THANKS SO MUCH for responding right away when I was in despair and trying to make it all work out. 3 days and counting until the Western Carribean! ...

There are just two of us travelling, but we need to get to the pier quickly since we land (on Monday) at 2pm and must make it to our boat (RCI Splendour of the Seas) by no later than 4:30pm to board! So of course I want the FASTEST way to get there but don't want to break the bank or deal with too much hassle. Would a regular taxi be out of the question, pricewise? Or should I try and reserve a car/limo for 2?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

hope the Denver weather doesn't cause further complications, I know, you didn't need to hear that.

#1) Try getting a RCI transfer. It may be too late for that or 2p may be too late in the day for their transfer. If you could get it through RCI, this would add security as it is ship sponsored. Definitely the way to go given your situation...imo.

#2) Jose Reyes (S Houston Limo/Shuttle) 713-303-8299. He runs out of Hobby, don't know if he does IAH or not. He is very knowledgeable. If he can't help he may know someone who can.

Good Luck.

There's just two of us, so I'm wondering if a taxi wouldn't be best (or a limo). We arrive at IAH at 2pm and must make a 4:30 cutoff for check-in at the pier (this in on Monday). Or would a taxi break the bank? Does anyone have any advice?

. So I can hop right into a taxi or car (still need to research what the best transportation for two will be to the pier).

Taxi from IAH to Galveston will run at least $200, I don't think that's a viable option (unless you have money to burn).

Btw, you said you had an expired passport. Expired passports in the past were still considered to be valid for identification - don't hold me to this as this may have changed.

There's just two of us, so I'm wondering if a taxi wouldn't be best (or a limo). We arrive at IAH at 2pm and must make a 4:30 cutoff for check-in at the pier (this in on Monday). Or would a taxi break the bank? Does anyone have any advice?

IAH is around 60 or so miles from Galveston, a taxi would be very costly. Based on your timeline and with the amount of afternoon traffic you will encounter, I would recommend a cruiseline transfer. If you are running late, they won't sail away without you.

Your timeline is cutting it very close, I live in the Houston area and I45S traffic is horrendous at the time you will be trying to get to Galveston. I really don't see any other way.

Blue Girl,

I don't know what ground transportation you have, but ask them if they can take Beltway 8 South to 225. You would then take a left onto 225 and proceed to Texas 146, then on into Galveston. 146 is a straight shot from 225 to Galveston and may save you some time and traffic headaches.

Texas 146 runs north and south along Galveston Bay and comes out just south of I45 and the Galveston Causeway. You will run into traffic at Kemah, Texas but past that it is clear sailing.

Per Bluegirl's posts on another forum, her cruise on Splendour of The Seas left Monday, 02/26/07. I sincerely hope she made it to the ship in time and comes back to this thread to let us know!

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

Archived