Grand Princess Anytime Dining vs Traditional

Joe & Kim

My DW and I will be on the Grand the same week. Come join us in the roll calls section. We have a nice group going and are planning a sail away get together.

To answer your question, if you are 2 people and are willing to sit with others, you should never have to wait more that 5 or 10 minutes to be seated. Last Year on the Golden the only time we waited to be seated was one nite when we wanted to be seated with 5 others and that was only a 10 minute wait. And that was at peak time.

Then again if you choose to sit at a table for 2, that may take a little more time. I believe you can call the dinnig room in advance and make a reservation, although i never have done so.

Mark

We always do anytime dining because of the flexibility. Often the first night seems a bit chaotic. They are checking your room cards to make sure you have the correct dining room, and that takes time. Everybody seems to want to eat early the first night, so the wait is often longer. After that, we never had to wait more than 5 or 10 minutes. It's fun meeting so many people at dinner. I'm sure you'll have a great time!:D

I did not like anytime dining. First of all, most people make reservations as soon as they board to assure they have a 7PM seating. So, if you don't have a reservation, you have to wait. I don't call that anytime. It makes one feel like they are at a restaurant with a pager.

To me dressing for dinner isn't a hardship. Being at the early seating isn't a hardship. I am more than ready to eat at 6PM and never feel rushed.

Plus with traditional dining you have a comradery with your tablemates and serving team. This is just my opinion but on NCL and Princess, I missed that aspect of cruising.

I'd stick with traditional.

I would never choose anytime again (we didn't choose it - that was all that was left 11 months in advance). For us on the Grand, the longest wait was 45 minutes on formal night arriving at 8:00 pm. The shortest wait was 5 minutes arriving at 6:00 pm and the average was about 10-15 minutes. The dining room service was disappointing compared to my RCI cruises. This was 14 months ago from Galveston, so things might have changed. If you are used to traditional and like it, you might want to try for it.

I'm not a big fan of anytime dining, but we've done it twice and never waited at all! This Dec., on the Grand, we usually went down around 6:30 or so; a couple of times we went around 8. We are always willing to join a group and weren't particular about a certain table or area, so maybe that helps. We didn't make reservations either.

We were very worried about having anytime dining. We had been waitlisted at 433 for traditional, so we knew there was no chance of getting it. We would call down each night and request the same table and same wait staff so we made it like traditional dining. We loved our waiters!!! They were from Poland and so much fun. They were learning about the Texas culture and were very quick about the nuances of Texans. We did have a party of six so that might have made a difference. We also chose to eat earlier when they first opened the dining room. The food is fantastic. Be sure to try the drink called a limencello if you have never tried one before. Try new foods you have never tried before. If you don't like it, they will bring you something else. The pastas in the dining room are to die for. I am still looking for the lasagna recipe from a lunch dining room, but Princess does not have that one available. I have the cookbook twice hoping it was in there. I have e-mailed and asked but I have received salad dressing recipes instead.

If you are going to reserve a table for two for each night of the cruise. Why don't you just do traditional dining up front. Then all the arrangements are made in advance and you won't be standing in line trying to sort it out with the Maitre D.

Like the above poster said, she went ahead a reserved with the same wait team and went early. That's what I call Traditional dining. So why even bother with anytime? The way I see it, and what I have done in the past, is if we don't want to or can't be at the assigned seating- we wing it and do the buffet or specialty restuarants. It works out fine.

I would never choose anytime again (we didn't choose it - that was all that was left 11 months in advance). For us on the Grand, the longest wait was 45 minutes on formal night arriving at 8:00 pm. The shortest wait was 5 minutes arriving at 6:00 pm and the average was about 10-15 minutes. The dining room service was disappointing compared to my RCI cruises. This was 14 months ago from Galveston, so things might have changed. If you are used to traditional and like it, you might want to try for it.

We're not fans of anytime dining. We had to use it the first night last year because somehow even though we had been confirmed for late traditional for about 10 months, when we checked in we had been assigned to anytime dining. I was probably predisposed to dislike it, but I thought the service was very impersonal compared to the traditional dining room, and the meal didn't have the same flow it does in traditional where everyone is at a similar place in the meal. We both prefer to get to know a waitstaff over the course of a week, and sit at a large table with set tablemates. Since we usually travel as a couple, it's a nice way to get to know a group of people and share experiences. The anytime experience is more like open seating lunch or breakfast where you may sit with different passengers for every meal unless you're with a group.

We are signed up for anytime dinning and for the vast majority of the nights we will want a two table top. Are the tables for two hard to come by? Would it be best for use to reserve the same table for the whole week on the first day of the cruise?????

Thanks

I don't think they will allow you to make a set reservation for the whole week unless you want to eat very early or very late. I believe the times between 6:30-8:30 can't be reserved for a whole week. Maybe somebody who's been on the Grand recently can give you better information than I can. The anytime dining rooms have a LOT more tables for two than the traditional dining room. You'll probably be seated the fastest if you are flexible about your seating arrangements and eat at slightly off hours. From what I saw on the Grand the last two years, the biggest problem is people with traditional dining using anytime because it fits their schedule better on that day. This makes the waits for a table longer than necessary, especially between 7:00-8:00. The longest waits were on formal nights.

It is a big reason we have not tried another cruise line in a while. True it does make for a different dining experience, since all diners are not in the same stage of dining. This does make more work for the staff, since they have to manage their time differently. I equate it more to restaurant dining than wedding or banquet. In a restaurant, the diners all come in at different times. At a banquet or wedding the courses are all sent out together.

We prefer to come when we are ready and hungry. Yes we have had to wait. But in 4 cruises with anytime dining we have waited 5 times...total. Granted, we don't come between 7:15 and 7:45 often, which seem to be peak dining times.

As for a table for two, we have NEVER been able to secure one in a traditional dining room. We have had one whenever we asked in anytime...we did wait for one once.

The dining room does seem slightly more chaotic in the anytime dining room, because they are not following the carefully orchestrated dance of traditional dining. It is impossible to "plan" anytime dining, therefore it inherently will be more chaotic. That is why I like the Princess dining rooms. The are segmented to feel like small dining rooms, it helps keep the room feeling intimate and therefore more in control.

I do think that anytime dining would have less problems with waits however, if they did not allow traditional diners to "try out" anytime dining...anytime they want. That creates an unexpected number of extra diners for those dining rooms. It would only work if they let anytime diners "try out" traditional dining rooms too. You know, you could go to the traditional dining room and if there were empty seats, you could eat there.....but that will not happen. Just a dream.

We did anytime dining on the Grand on the Jan 27 cruise. We had no problems at all eating around 6:15 or 6:30. We preferred to eat early so we could attend some of the 8:00 shows.

Enjoyed visiting the other folks at our table and never had to wait more than 5 minutes or so. The formal night pics were taken it was quite a wait, however.

Also, we were on the ship only 4 dinners because of a death in the family and having to leave early. However, we'd choose anytime again.

If you are going to reserve a table for two for each night of the cruise. Why don't you just do traditional dining up front. Then all the arrangements are made in advance and you won't be standing in line trying to sort it out with the Maitre D.

Like the above poster said, she went ahead a reserved with the same wait team and went early. That's what I call Traditional dining. So why even bother with anytime? The way I see it, and what I have done in the past, is if we don't want to or can't be at the assigned seating- we wing it and do the buffet or specialty restuarants. It works out fine.

Because typically Traditional books up first and is waitlisted. Then you are forced to do Anytime. Which is my complaint Princess, if the customers speak and request mostly traditional which is usually waitlisted every cruise, why not get rid of anytime?

Our big thing is our kids 10 and 12 hated main seating last year but get very hungry and will not like having to wait.. They ate and split for the kids program. We could have made them stay but it is their vacation too. The day all of us were happy. This was on Celebrity and in traditional dining our waiter brought our kids main course early since they are not appetizer and salad eaters. Is the pizza and grill open during the dining hours?

My DW and I tried anytime dining on the Grand princess in June sailing from Venice to Barcelona. We loved it and would never go back to traditional dining if anytime dining is available. We never waited, but then again we were not picky as to sitting with others. We always took whatever seat was available, which usually meant a table for eight. We met many wonderful people and never had a problem with the wait staff. Sure some wait staff are better than others, but we were on vacation and having fun. Why worry if your dinner takes five minutes longer than it may take at a different table?

If you don't mind meeting new people every night, if you don't care if the waiter remembers what you like to drink, and you want to eat when you are hungry, then I am sure you will enjoy anytime dining.

Any experience in life gives you back what you put into it.

Our group of six had booked anytime dining, but only used it on the first formal night. We preferred the buffet, which was literally open 24 hours a day - never closing for cleaning or setup. We were amazed at the choices - from omelets and eggs Benedict, to pheasant and prime rib. We never got these types of things on the buffets of Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and NCL. My parents are in their 80's and don't want to change clothes just for dinner, when the selection at the buffets was so extensive. Even the pizza, burgers, and hot dogs were delicious. We're not all that picky, and we have a load of fun on cruise ships.

The first formal night, 3 of us waited about 20 minutes, walking around shopping and holding a beeper. I was at first disappointed at having to share a table for eight with four strangers, but they ended up being some of the nicest people I've ever met, and I greeted them eagerly every time I saw them for the rest of the cruise. I need to learn to be more social and maybe less group-oriented.

Mark

Our group of six had booked anytime dining, but only used it on the first formal night. We preferred the buffet, which was literally open 24 hours a day - never closing for cleaning or setup. We were amazed at the choices - from omelets and eggs Benedict, to pheasant and prime rib. We never got these types of things on the buffets of Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and NCL. My parents are in their 80's and don't want to change clothes just for dinner, when the selection at the buffets was so extensive. Even the pizza, burgers, and hot dogs were delicious. We're not all that picky, and we have a load of fun on cruise ships.

The first formal night, 3 of us waited about 20 minutes, walking around shopping and holding a beeper. I was at first disappointed at having to share a table for eight with four strangers, but they ended up being some of the nicest people I've ever met, and I greeted them eagerly every time I saw them for the rest of the cruise. I need to learn to be more social and maybe less group-oriented.

Mark

We were on the Grand in Dec and first off, the person who said you have to wait is incorrect. We waited a couple of minutes at most maybe once. The only time you have to wait is if you dont want to share a table.

If you want to sit by yourself and have a special table prepared for your group, then yes, you might wait a few minutes.

btw I was also on the Caribbean Princess late January and the same held true, the only time we waited was when we wanted to sit with our group and not share a table with strangers.

I had anytime dining on both ships, recently and can tell you that you can eat anytime and if you had to wait a couple of minutes it is unusual. We almost always just walked up and were immediately seated.

We were on the Grand in Dec and first off, the person who said you have to wait is incorrect. We waited a couple of minutes at most maybe once. The only time you have to wait is if you dont want to share a table.

If you want to sit by yourself and have a special table prepared for your group, then yes, you might wait a few minutes.

btw I was also on the Caribbean Princess late January and the same held true, the only time we waited was when we wanted to sit with our group and not share a table with strangers.

I had anytime dining on both ships, recently and can tell you that you can eat anytime and if you had to wait a couple of minutes it is unusual. We almost always just walked up and were immediately seated.

Out of 5 nights dining (2 of the 7 in specialty restaurants), we were never seated immediately. We had a group of 4 willing to sit anywhere. I imagine a group of 2 would have an easier time. Once our beeper went off, we had to get in another line to be seated.

We too are sailing on the Grand on 3/31! We LOVED anytime dining last year when my husband and I sailed on the Caribbean Princess. We never had a problem. Then, we didn't take our 2 kids (we are this time) and we usually requested a table for 2. We did have a 20 min. wait one night (but they gave us a pager and you can go anywhere on the ship with it) and we'd go to a bar and have a drink first. It worked out fine. One night they asked us if we minded sitting with a larger table, which was very nice too... We didn't like the idea of being tied down to a definite time for dinner (not knowing what the day would hold) so it really worked out nicely for us. Are you sailing with children too? If so, how old? Ours are 14 and almost 13.

pmck :)

We too are sailing on the Grand on 3/31! We LOVED anytime dining last year when my husband and I sailed on the Caribbean Princess. We never had a problem. Then, we didn't take our 2 kids (we are this time) and we usually requested a table for 2. We did have a 20 min. wait one night (but they gave us a pager and you can go anywhere on the ship with it) and we'd go to a bar and have a drink first. It worked out fine. One night they asked us if we minded sitting with a larger table, which was very nice too... We didn't like the idea of being tied down to a definite time for dinner (not knowing what the day would hold) so it really worked out nicely for us. Are you sailing with children too? If so, how old? Ours are 14 and almost 13.

pmck :)

We LOVE anytime dining. The first time we got it (due to being waitlisted for traditional), we were unhappy, yet it turns out "it's the only way to go" as far as we're concerned. You have so much flexibility. On the Grand last year we never had a problem with getting a table for our party of 6. If there was something specific in the Patter that we wanted to do that night - we just made reservations in the morning for a specific time. Some people on other threads have mentioned that the wait staff doesn't seem as helpful and committed in the "any time" dining rooms because they don't anticipate getting extra tips if they only serve those particular passengers once during the cruise. That was certainly not our experience; however, if we found waiters that we especially liked - we requested their section if available. We'll be on the Grand again next month and we're doing "anytime" dining again. On the CROWN we did anytime dining but usually requested a table for 2 since we were celebrating our anniversary and like Greta Garbo "I vant to be alone". For our upcoming cruise, we're bringing my mother (a first time cruiser celebrating her 70th birthday) and she wants to sit with lots of different people (she's extremely gregarious). The main thing is... enjoy all your experiences and don't sweat the small stuff (even if you have to wait a little while to be seated). HAVE FUN!

We were just on the Grand the week of 2/10-2/17 and the only night our party of eight waited was the first formal evening (Sunday) and that was only about 15 min. We ate all but four of our meals in the dining room and two of those were the Ultimate Balcony Dinner and the Painted Desert Steakhouse.

Mike:)

Archived