Budget Queen: Excursion Questions

palermo22

Budget Queen: it appears you are probably the most knowledgeable on this particular Board - and while you may have listed it elsewhere (and if you have - please lead me to the link so you don't waste your time writing it over again) - I wonder if you would be so kind to list the following (obviously, this is all subjective and based on your experiences):

What are the best $50 (pp) - $100 - $150 - $200 tours one can take in the following cities (or areas) - also, please keep in mind that we will be at these places in Sept 18 - 24. Just to compound the question, I am looking at both non-athletic (or, non-participation - for my wife) and more athletic (or participation for myself). In advance: thanks!

Ketchikan

Skagway

Juneau

Sitka

The above will give you a good start on area attractions. Flights are always top on my list so that would be the most costly. These go all the way down to good walking tours that can be free. :) I could likely offer more if you post your interests a little more specifically. Important to note with your timeframe- dusk will be by 7pm, cool temps maybe rain- so you may not want to consider long hikes etc??

Budget Queen,

We'll be using Carlin Air (8:30 am) Misty Fjords in Ket. on 9/16 and would also want to visit Saxman Village. Would you know of an independent company we can use? I tried the Visitor's site but no one has called or emailed me. Thanks very much.

There will be plenty of operators for Saxman Village, lined up at the visitor center- on a $25 tour- the people and guides constantly change. The tours are basically the same and worth the money if interested. As for Sitka- do you have all day there? Half port days usually only allow the boat trip timewise. If in port longer, I would book the first or last available boat tour- if going with the ship contractor, then fit in the Raptor center and dancers if time allows.

Does anyone have any info on glacier helicopter rides in Wrangell? We could do it in Juneau but would prefer to do it in Wrangell since we are in port longer there. Any help appreciated! WE are on NCL Sun.

Budget Queen,

In Sitka I am torn between the Sea Otter adventure and the visiting the Raptor Center, I also want to see the Dancers. Any thoughts? Can I possible do all 3?

thanks very much, again,

Nan

You should have time to go to Raptor Center and do the Sea Otter Adventure? Depending on your port call you might be able to do all three.. Sitka's a tendering port so you have a time lag there with that. Sea Otter when we did it departed at 1:00 and we caught the local "shutle" for $5 (that was in 2000), went to St Michael's, Bishops' House, Raptor Center, stopped at the bowling alley for milkshakes and then did Sea Otter -- we booked it through the ship for just a few dollars more since it was our afternoon activity and if there was a delay we didn't want to risk being late due to some unforeseen circumstance. The Archangel dancers do have set times .. check out http://www.sitka.org -- the times may be posted there. There's so much to do in Sitka it's really a shame so many ships miss it!

Archived