Room Service $17 on Crown

Brad1185

So, just for clarification:

Regular room service (items) don't cost anything, however specialty items, such as the "gift" cheese platter cost money?

MC

Yes. If you carefully read the room service menu, there is a section for room service that is free (very limited) and there is a section with what is considered "gift" items that are extra.

Of the 3 Cruises I've been on with my children I've ALWAYS ordered chocolate milk from room service (they love it and I certainly prefer it to the pop alternative) - sheesh! It's not even on the list, complimentary or for a small fee! I try and take a few from the breakfast buffet for later on but they always run out very early. Never once have I been charged. And get this.. I never even tipped the room server! Not intentionally of course, from plain ignorance (never knew I was suppose to tip each and every visit). Just plain great service a la Princess.

The cheese platter had to have been a misunderstanding. If I've learned anything from Cruising it's that cheese is always in abundance.

Of the 3 Cruises I've been on with my children I've ALWAYS ordered chocolate milk from room service (they love it and I certainly prefer it to the pop alternative) - sheesh! It's not even on the list, complimentary or for a small fee! I try and take a few from the breakfast buffet for later on but they always run out very early. Never once have I been charged. And get this.. I never even tipped the room server! Not intentionally of course, from plain ignorance (never knew I was suppose to tip each and every visit). Just plain great service a la Princess.

The cheese platter had to have been a misunderstanding. If I've learned anything from Cruising it's that cheese is always in abundance.

Then wouldnt it be a good idea for the OP to look at the charge slip before you sign it. :rolleyes:

If one orders off the room service menu there is no charge. My kids have been doing this over 10 cruises and we have never had any charges. If one orders off the menu there is a charge and it should not be a suprise.

It is too the point where my daughter likes to pick a room near a bar where she can use her coke card, and then orders her room service.. She is now 13 but has been doing this for years.

It is a matter of being an educated consumer. Order off the free menu and there is a charge. Stick to the menu, no charge.

I agree. On Princess, hot or cold chocolate is not available in horizon court or for free from room service. It MAY be available for breakfast in the dining room. But other cruise lines might be offering it -- hence the assumption that it would also be free on Princess. /Sultan

I have to admit, the last few cruises, I have not seen chocolate milk even offered at the buffet, morning or any other time. DH drinks milk but has to settle for white milk now (the poor baby).

Yes. If you carefully read the room service menu, there is a section for room service that is free (very limited) and there is a section with what is considered "gift" items that are extra.

Thank you, just a wee bit slow to get it here!:D

That really is too bad...Last time on Sapphire, the kids ordered a sandwhich and a plate of cookies. I assume the sandwhich was on the menu but not the cookies-they didn't have to pay a dime. I hope that this won't have changed!:eek:

The cookies truly were magnificant. Some of the best Chocolate Chip cookies we've ever had! That's saying alot coming from the kids!;)

I don't remember, but were items such as burgers and pizza on the menu? Or are those extra cost too? (for room service)

In the "Princess" cruise booklet, it says there is a 24 hour buffet at the horizon court/Lido AND International cafe is open 24 hours. Is this true or does the booklet need updating? I am a night person and was happy to read this. Is ther anything else open 24 hours??

Thanks

(I'm sorry the ship is the "Crown" I am asking about).

We are thinking of trying Princess but it concerns me that they dont give more options for room service. Do they not have any prepared foods available at all ?
It sounds like they are pretty stingy with their choices. RCCL gave pizza, cheeses and you could even have the full dinner menu delivered to your cabin.
Is that not the same with Princess ??:confused:

[quote name='sledhead']We are thinking of trying Princess but it concerns me that they dont give more options for room service. Do they not have any prepared foods available at all ?
It sounds like they are pretty stingy with their choices. RCCL gave pizza, cheeses and you could even have the full dinner menu delivered to your cabin.
Is that not the same with Princess ??:confused:[/quote]

The thing with Princess is that they are trying to push their ultimate balcony plans (breakfast and dinner only) for a fee of course. If one is staying in a full size suite (a mini suite is not a full size suite), as a perk, you are allowed to order items being served in the dinning rooms.

Just a thought about room service food...remember wading through all the used room service trays and dirty dishes while trying to get to your cabin. Once people eat they want the debris out of their site and stack it uncerimoniously out in the hall, most of the time without calling a server to pick it up.

With the problems like the Star fire, wouldn't you think the last thing you would want is a bunch of used dishes with uneaten food cluttering the hallways if you had to get out quickly. Maybe Princess is thinking this way, too.

Someone found these pics of the Crown room service menu - there are three pages. Sandwiches and hambugers, hot dogs.

If you look at the third picture of the menu, you will also see the Cheese Platter with the charge on it:

[URL]http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2755473410054971125Czrseo[/URL]

I guess no one has read my original post. I was NOT BILLED without knowledge. I was just shocked to hear the price, plain and simple, but I ordered the milk regardless because there was nowhere on this ship "free" chocolate milk other than the main dining room. Sorry Princess lovers, but the nickle and diming on this cruise line is a bit over the top for me. Bringing ovaltine on a $5000 cruise for a family of four is a bit ridiculous!

[quote name='2boyzmom']I guess no one has read my original post. I was NOT BILLED without knowledge. [/quote]

So let me get this straight. You saw how much the cheese platter & choc. milk was. You ordered it anyway. Then after the cruise you complain about it here.

There are lots of 'free' items on the room service menu that you could have chose and if you wanted cheese you could have made your own plate at the Horizon court for 'free'

I am not a princess lover :rolleyes: having sailed on the golden just once, but compared to other cruises I have been on Princess is not a nickel/dimer.

Speaking of drink costs, have you seen the price for cocktails on celebrity compared to Princess? :eek: I guess they can supply free cheese platters because of drink prices.

I think the real issue here is that the comments were taken out of context because of the way they were worded in the review.

Had she said "I was shocked that Princess charges for these things when we've gotten them for free on other cruise lines" or that when it was written, it was more clear that all room service is not charged for, it might have made a difference in the perception.

As you can see, that simple statement was misconstrued by the OP on this thread that all room service has a charge.

Now being able to see the three pages of the room service menu, others can see most of room service is free, with some optional items that are charged for . And they can also see how limited the room service menu is.

I do have to agree with the reviewer about the chocolate milk - it is ridiculous to charge for the chocolate, when you can get plain milk delivered to the room.

[quote name='sledhead']We are thinking of trying Princess but it concerns me that they dont give more options for room service. Do they not have any prepared foods available at all ?
Is that not the same with Princess ??:confused:[/QUOTE]

You most likely will spend several hundreds of dollars less on a Princess cruise compared to the newer RCCL cruises. Plus, the food on Princess is far better than RCCL.

Pick whatever you want but I have felt less nickel and dimed on Princess compared to RCCL and Celebrity. And the pizza is actually good on Princess (compared to RCCL).

[quote name='willysgrandma'] My best recollection is nothing on the room service menu was cooked. [/quote]

Room service sandwiches are served with fries (cooked ;) ) or potato chips. There is also a limited "hot food" selection.
[I]Chris[/I]

[URL]http://good-times.webshots.com/album/553226850DNXfha?track_pagetag=/page/photo/goodtimes/friendsfun&track_action=/MediaInfo/AlbumTitle[/URL]

My understanding is that the OP was disappointed that these items she had to pay for were not included in the initial cruise price.
One thing that needs researched if you want to know what is and is not included with each cruise line. Each cruise line is different, what you find available at no charge on one, is not available on another. But most lines are really cutting back on those free things the last couple of years, so it is best to not be shocked when what was available to you for free last time now has a small charge with it.

FYI-$5000 for a family of 4 sounds pretty reasonable to us. That is what we normally pay for just the two of us on Princess. I agree, try pricing RCI or Celebrity, they are quite a bit higher. Carnival is the only line I know of that has the cheaper prices anymore, and I am not even going on that subject, after 5 cruises with them, they weren't worth it at any price for us.

Archived