Can This Marriage Be Saved? Princess First Timer

ebonybee

Hi All,

Seasoned cruisers but first time on Princess! April-Eastern Caribbean. 30 year marriage has been on the rocks for a week over the issue of suite or no suite? DH wants suite because he does stay in the room alot and just chill, plus we've always booked at least a mini suite on every cruise taken. However, just booked CB at last moment and the mini-suites that are available are uncovered. He doesn't care, he wants the extra room in the cabin. I can't stand the thought of paying $1000.00 more for a room where I will not use the balcony because of lack of privacy. Currently booked on Caribe Deck. There are three sea days and maybe a fourth if we can't tender to Princess Cays in April-so possible a lot of cabin time. We are also taking (paying) for adult children that have an outside. He says he need the extra room to entertain kids. Are the balconies lighted at night--meaning can you see onto Dolphin deck even at night?

Anybody else have encountered this issue and possible resolution? Should I just cancel one day anniversay cruise out of NY in September? If it rains alot on this cruise, the marriage is probably over!

I think the balconies on the Caribe deck are partially covered.

If you are taking your kids, though, having a mini-suite or suite will give you room for everyone to meet up in. We went on a cruise with others and I wish I had a larger room so we could have had company in our room.

I think you need to definately go for the Suite... I dont want this to sound mean, but imagine 1000.00 compared to losing the one you love, you know? If it rains, hey you can always say "told ya so"... But this also means you can patch things up by... well... not being on the balcony at all times;)

Go for it!

We always do a suite on board and couldn't imagine giving up the extra space for anything, even a balcony. Are you worried because of sun exposure or because other people can see you? What would you be doing out there that you wouldn't want other people to see???:eek:

Seriously, $1000 is well worth the extra room in the cabin and I don't think you'll be disappointed with the balcony. Make an agreement as my DH and I do. We have learned to compromise on cruises. he picks one, then I pick one. So let your DH have a suite this time and next time, you pick the cabin.

Big picture, it would be terrible to blow 30 years of marriage on something as silly as an uncovered balcony.

Charlie

The Caribe balconies are the most sought after balconies on the CB since they are larger and half covered and half in the sun giving it the best of both worlds. This is a picture taken from the Riviera deck above it. The Dolphin deck sticks out and the Caribe deck is directly above that one. However, if DH still wanted a suite knowing the price difference, I would book one especially since he does appear to use it alot.

DSCN1260.jpg

I am totally on your husbands side on this issue. My DH would cancel if there was not a mini suite at least in the picture, covered or uncovered balcony, doesn't matter to him. It isn't just the balcony, but the extra space to 'chill' inside the cabin that he loves.

Not worth a 'fight' to not have at least a mini suite, and have that extra space. Plus, having the kids visit is really going to cramp things in a regular balcony cabin, no matter what size the balcony is.

Thanks for all the replies, even if everyone is taking DH side!! But are they lit at night?

And yes he already has a bad attitude..." I'm not going to enjoy the cruise if ....."

He's a RCCL Radiance Class Ship guy and that's all he wants! He originally said he was willing to try Princess but the lack of a suite appears to be a deal breaker!

I really do appreciate the picture showing the exposure of each class of balconies. Someone has to lose. He has a GS suite on RCCL in January. I think he should think of me. The sun's exposue is my first concern, then privacy.

I confess-- things have occured on our balconies in the past that should not be viewed by the public---that's why they call it a vacation!!! My son has said that we aren't going to have any peace if father doesn't get his way.

I'm going to have to compare the square footage of both cabins for a logical argument!

We had a mini-suite on our first Princess cruise. The uncovered balcony didn't bother us, as all we were doing was enjoying the view. Plus, unless the people above you were hanging over their rail, you really couldn't be seen. We did enjoy the larger room and the tub.

Well, we've reserved a regular balcony cabin (on Caribe) for our upcoming cruise. Now I'm worried about the lack of space (and no sofa!) in the room and the shower!

Maybe this will convince DH that we should have splurged on another mini-suite!

Enjoy your cruise!

Ebony, from what I hear alot alot of the better suites have little privacy on the CB and our TA encouraged us to take just a balcony on Caribe deck instead. It's really not worth the money in my opinion. Yup, I'm on your side with this one. For $1000 you can go on another cruise!

If your hubby still wants a bit of luxury, I say let him pony up the extra dough! No need to fight over it.

Got to side with DH on this one. I loved our mini on both the cruises we had and if things have happend in the past that people may not want to see, God Bless you after 30 years. Give him the suite and enjoy each other. Life is way too short.:)

That $1000 extra would buy our drinks, excursions and pay for tipping for a week cruise. I personally would go for a balcony but if your husband is going to be spending lots of time in the room, then it may be worth it. We spend very little time in the cabin so for us its an easier decision.

Joe

We were on the CB in December with a family group. We splurged for the Aft suite and spent a lot more time in our room that we normally do. It was the perfect place for everyone to meet up and there was room for all. The table on the balcony is large enough for 4 to 6 for lunch or dinner (which we did). The balcony on the aft suites is half covered so you still get a little bit of sun, but ours (on Aloha) was totally private.

It was worth every penny and we would definitely do it again!

Balcony cabins on Princess ships are SMALL...if you're used to a balcony cabin on RC, they will seem a lot smaller (no sitting area or sofa). If you are used to a GS on RC, they will seem box-like. Wear your sunblock and go for the minisuite. Depending on which way the sun is coming from, the ship may shade your balcony during the morning/evening hours. Depending on which way the sun is coming from, the sun may reach your Caribe Deck covered area except at midday.

We love RC's Radiance Class balony cabins too (but, let's face it, on them you're looking down on the lifeboat covering, so nothing is perfect)...go for the minisuite on Princess.

I went back and forth with the idea of having a uncovered balcony on our cruise on the CB this May (so excited, just 2 months and 1 week away). Then I started to do some thinking. Last year on the CB we had a balcony cabin on Rivera Deck, and yes we could look down on our neighbors, but I don't remember spending that much time doing so (we might have had boring neighbors, though). Anyway, they can look at me on my deck or out by the pool with hundreds of others. So I went with the mini suite. I'm looking so forward to the extra room and not having to be so creative when shaving my legs.

Has anyone tried a clip on umbrella on the chairs on the balcony? I'm really trying to work this out.

When you say your current booking is on the Caribe deck, are you saying, regular balcony or minisuite? I took it to mean that you have a regular balcony room booked but your husband wants a suite. (not minisuite)

A minisuite on Princess gives you the sofa, extra TV and a bathtub however no divider between the two TV's.

I never saw any umbrella's on the balconies and frankly the only time I saw people out on the balconies was at sailaways from each port or coming into port. Other than that the main people that are on watch all the time is the bridge. They can see all the balconies and in fact have a big white hand they will wave to you if you look their way. There is a person on guard 24 hours a day watching so......you get the picture as far as privacy.

I'm piling on with DH here. If he's going to be cocooning in there, he won't have any place comfortable to sit in a balcony cabin. There is a single chair, and it's usually in the way of the door. The minisuite has a full sofa for him to stretch out on and a second TV so he doesn't have to bother swivelling the TV facing the bed. The balconies are exposed, but I've never noticed people watching me. And on Caribe Deck, your neighbors can HEAR you doing....whatever...unless you're really quiet about it.:eek:

Just make sure he knows that a minisuite does not get the full suite amenities shown on the Princess website - no minibar setup, free laundry, etc. But the extra space and comfort is totally worth $1000 over a week if you're "cabin" vs "out and about" people. Only you know if you can actually afford it without crying out in pain, however.

There are mini-suites with fully covered balconies on Emerald deck.

Have you checked in to that? If you get one on the starboard side,

then you won't have noise from Club Fusion. On the port side cabins

noise has been reported from the club.

If you do in fact get one of these cabins, mark it as "No Upgrades" because

then you might get moved to the exposed Dolphin balconies.

Have you considered a full suite? Those are great.

Archived