RCI credit card and cruise points: worth the trouble?

JHCALLAHAN

I was checking out the offerings on RCI's website not long ago and saw their ad about their credit card, cruise point offers, etc.

Does anyone have one of these, and are the goodies worth the trouble to get and use the credit card? My wife and I are planning our first cruise in Sept. for our tenth anniversary. We rarely use credit cards, but if I got one of these we could rack up the points pretty quick if we charged groceries, gas, etc day to day. And I take it if you pay it off each month it's basically free stuff to be had.

Any opinions appreciated.

Su amigo,

JHC

I have had the card for 3 years and have used $1250. in OBC and money used towards the cruise price. I would certainly say that it is worthwhile for us; we use it for everything--gas, groceries, restaurants, dentist, etc. It is paid off every month so basically, it is free money. Not a bad deal!

I have one too, though I have only cruised once with RCCL. Thought I would use it for cruises or on-board credits, but haven't been back on RCCL.

However, you can exchange your points for a cash payment to your balance if you choose to do that. I think I just got $100 applied to my balance because I couldn't use the points on Celebrity. So when I got my bill, there was a notice that I could "buy" different things with my points.

SO, if you have a credit card, why not get something free for using it.

I try to pay off the balance each month, but don't quite do it some months, so this helped whittle down the balance. It's not a lot, but it's free.:rolleyes:

We have the RCI credit card, and use it to pay for everything (except our house payment). We even paid our car off using it, just to get the points (instead of sending in cashier check direct to the loan dept).

It paid off big time when we used our points to pay for the majority of our 2 flights to Rome, it didn't cover the complete flight amt, but paying for our mother separately, we paid $1500 for 3 folks, when the flight is about $1000.00 per person (so half price).

If you don't use the RCI, use any other card that gives some sort of bonus. I can't use my RCI at Sam's Club, so I use Discover, and just got $50.00 gift certificate -

As long as you pay off balance in a fashion as to not get any type of interest payments, your golden!! :D

Even though we usually cruise with Royal the NCL Mastercard is by far the best cruise credit card out there. It's the only one I use. I've only had the card for two years and I already have enough points for a free cruise. Just have to decide which one to take.

We use our RCCL card for just about everything and after 2 years had enough points for a free cruise for two so we were able to take our grown children last February. We are hoping (and should be able) to have enough points for our January '08 cruise to be free also. So..... we're tracking basically a free cruise every two years. Worth it? Just to use that card rather than my debit card?

we are sailing on the ADVENTURE OF THE SEA'S in 2 weeks 3-18-07...and have over a $400 on board credit and we have only had our card for about 1 1/2 yrs...ya i think it's worth it...will pay for a whole lot of things that we do that week...

There are some people who will give you a financial analysis of the return per dollar, but if you pay it off every month, the rewards are free no matter how you figure it! We leave in less than 60 hours for a "buy one, get one free" cruise to the Southern Caribbean......combine that with the Thanksgiving weekend "sale", and we have a one week cruise for two (with a balcony cabin) for just over $1000. It's DEFINITELY worth using the RCI Visa card!

We tried to use our frequent flier miles with US airway, but the dates were blacked out......now THAT would have been SWEET to have free flights on top of the free companion fare!

We also use our card for groceries, etc. and pay it off each month. When we sail to Alaska in May, we'll have a lot of onboard credit to enjoy with our family - Chops, Portofino, photos, etc. - all paid for with our points. Definitely worth it for us!

Worth it???

I've had my card about two or three years now...

I just cashed in my award at the 125,000 point level...

A FREE 7-night Caribbean cruise!

Actually, they let you use it as an "up to $2500" credit toward an upgraded cruise (it gets a little complicated)...So, I've had mine applied to my center hump balcony cabin on my upcoming Liberty of The Seas cruise...

That's $2500 toward an amazing cruise in a little over two years of card use...

I use the card for MOST of my purchases--gas, groceries, restaurants...and, of course, other cruises (which net me DOUBLE points!)...

The points build up fast...

My advice: DON'T use the points toward those lower level awards--like onboard credits...Save them up toward that 125,000 levelo--the value is DOUBLE what you get for the lower levels...ie. the $150 onboard credit requires 15,000 points--a 1% return, but the $2500 "free cruise" only requires 125,000 points--a 2% return!! Don't be impatient...

Compare the return to other credit cards...like some that have a 1% "cashback"...For the lower rewards, cash back would have been better...but that 125,000 point deal is worth twice as much...

I do have a Discover card that gives me 5% toward GAS purchases...but it has a cap at $1200 per year...and in SoCal, that means I stop getting a return in March...

I also use an American Airlines card for some things--so my Airfare to meet the Liberty of the Seas is FREE also!!!

Psychologically, the idea that I can fly across country and cruise--all for FREE is just wonderful...

We just returned from our cruise that we cashed in 125,000 points that we earned in one year. We have had our card for about 2 years and we are only about 10,000 points from our 2nd free 7 night cruise. We use ours for everything and pay it off every month. We will put it toward our November cruise.

One week before we left on this cruise we received a phone call on a Sunday afternoon while driving up to see my Mom. It was the CC company calling to ask if we were buying something for $400 at a Super Walmart in Florida. We live in MI and I had just used the card here so it thru up a red flag. They sent our new cards out and we had them in time for our vacation. I called them and told them where we'd be and where we might spend some large bucks (Joe's Jewelry in St Maarten.) We've been pleased with our RCCL card.

When leaving your normal spending zone, like going on a cruise, always call your credit card companies and let them know. It will save you the embarassment of having your card denied when you want to buy a special item somewhere far from home.

Worth it???

My advice: DON'T use the points toward those lower level awards--like onboard credits...Save them up toward that 125,000 levelo--the value is DOUBLE what you get for the lower levels...ie. the $150 onboard credit requires 15,000 points--a 1% return, but the $2500 "free cruise" only requires 125,000 points--a 2% return!! Don't be impatient...

So when you qualify for rewards, those points are subtracted?? maybe this is a dumb question but I just wondered if maybe it was a rolling balance and you were entitled to a reward at each level and points just continued to accrue.

So when you qualify for rewards, those points are subtracted?? maybe this is a dumb question but I just wondered if maybe it was a rolling balance and you were entitled to a reward at each level and points just continued to accrue.

Yes, the points are deducted so you can only use them once. It is like money in your checking acct.; you can use it, but have to put more in for the next purchase.

I can't use my RCI at Sam's Club, so I use Discover, and just got $50.00 gift certificate -

You can't? My membership is expired, so if that is the case, its time to check out the new Costco.

Archived