Nicer cocktail type dress on non-formal night?

March Cruiser

In other words - I have too many cute dresses! I borrowed a couple form friends and bought one myself and I like them all. I am wondering if anyone dresses up on non formal nights...? Here is a description of each one:

Light icy pink, floor length, sleeveless, empire waist silk gown (that must be a formal night one I think b/c of the length

Black sleeveless straight *clingy* with silver sparkle pattern over the whole thing. Not floor length, but almost, goes to lower calf/upper ankle area (seems formal also)

Black matte satin strapless, tea length (below kneww) simple cut A-line with small sash at waist. (this is probably the least formal, b/c of the length, simplicity, etc., but it is still satiny and strapless, so I don't know)

The last one is the one my GF just let me borrow yesterday and it is so cute - but I am already attached to the others:eek: I am not sure if dress #3 sounds too dressy for a non formal night. My DH will be wearing (renting) a tux on the formal nights, and then docker type pants and a polo type shirt on the other nights, though he does have one pair of dress slacks and will probably wear those with a button down shirt (maybe a tie??) one night, so I could dress up more that night.

Any thoughts? TIA!

Chandra

I usually tend toward wearing cocktail type dresses on nonformal nights, so to me your dress #3 sounds fine for nonformal. It depends a bit on the ship, but I've always felt comfortable in my cocktail dresses. The only exception would be on a really casual night, such as the last night; then a cocktail dress might be a bit too much.

I'm one that would prefer to dress in cocktail dresses and dressy pants outfits every night of the cruise. Just as much as someone else may say "wear what you want" when speaking of casual clothes, the same can be said for dressing beautifully every night (or several nights) on a cruise.

Wear your pretty dresses and look great. The dining rooms are so elegant, you will look just fine, no matter what others are wearing.

As a matter of fact, I could do away with the formal nights and do semi-formal every night :)

Your cocktail dresses will work great!! People are in so many different kind of things all over the ship that it won't matter. I do sundresss, cocktail dresses, and sometimes dressy capris on non-formal nights (depending on my mood, or sunburn) and I never feel over or under dressed in any of it.

Have a Great Cruise

Karla

My daughter and I have the same problem. We are booked for October on the Pride of Hawaii, and we have decided to dress up EVERY night, with more formal on the formal nights (altho they aren't very formal even then!). The guys can wear their aloha shirts and nice khakis, and everyone will be happy!

I would say wear the pretty dresses!! My only concern would be that you not be too "overdressed" when compared to your husband--a button down with the slacks might be a better match than a cotton polo shirt (I wouldn't dream of asking my husband to wear a tie unless required--tuxedos, funerals & weddings, that's about it:p Well, and the soon-to-be gone informal dress code on HAL)

I dress for dinner every night as I would for an upscale restaurant on land. That means LBDs, cocktail, dressy slacks/skirts and top.

I do think it is better to dress to the same level of formality as one's husband, partner, etc. It looks mismatched IMO to do otherwise.

Eh..take them. Dress them down a little with more casual shoes, light makeup and a simple hair style and jewelry.

I myself, tend to wear semi-formal on 'informal' nights. Capris & sundresses for casual. I like dressing up.

what line are you on? A line like Celebrity or HAL people, especially women tend to dress up more-but a line like Carnival or RCI you will be overdressed. Now people do dress up more for the alternative pay extra restuarants-I know I wore a cocktail dress to Chops, the specialty restuarant on Mariner of the Seas- but I changed after dinner as I was WAY overdressed compared to others.

Now I would rather be overdressed then underdressed-but I like to "blend in with the crowd" and not "stick out"-which is why I changed into a more casual pantsuit after dinner at Chops on the MOS. I guess it depends on YOU and your comfort zone-and ofcourse what line you are on also.

what line are you on? A line like Celebrity or HAL people, especially women tend to dress up more-but a line like Carnival or RCI you will be overdressed. Now people do dress up more for the alternative pay extra restuarants-I know I wore a cocktail dress to Chops, the specialty restuarant on Mariner of the Seas- but I changed after dinner as I was WAY overdressed compared to others.

Now I would rather be overdressed then underdressed-but I like to "blend in with the crowd" and not "stick out"-which is why I changed into a more casual pantsuit after dinner at Chops on the MOS. I guess it depends on YOU and your comfort zone-and ofcourse what line you are on also.

momofmeg, DH and I were amongst the most dressed up of all passengers on our recent Jewel cruise. There were many in jeans, shorts, sweats in the the evenings all over the ship. Since we never went to the dining room I do not know if that is how they dressed for dinner but I was really surprised at the % of people dressed down to the extreme.

I think that they looked more out of place on this beautiful ship than we did. I personally do not dress down because others choose to; on HAL and X it is never an issue but RCI is becoming ever more casual.

momofmeg, DH and I were amongst the most dressed up of all passengers on our recent Jewel cruise. There were many in jeans, shorts, sweats in the the evenings all over the ship. Since we never went to the dining room I do not know if that is how they dressed for dinner but I was really surprised at the % of people dressed down to the extreme.

I think that they looked more out of place on this beautiful ship than we did. I personally do not dress down because others choose to; on HAL and X it is never an issue but RCI is becoming ever more casual.

You know, caviergal, I was thinking about your Celebrity cruise and how you said many were not dressed to code. You think it being on Thankgving weekend and it being a 4 day was why? (more kids) We did not see that on our Zenith cruise last year and it also was less then 7 days, a 5 day.

I like to dress up-but I have no desire to stick out like a sore thumb-if you know what I mean-but I do admire others who have the confidence to do that.

I am looking forward to my transatlantic on the Connie this fall-and I think I have figured out how I can pack enough-without paying overages on the luggage to the airline. I am taking two pairs of black pants, a black skirt, a brown skirt, a taupe pantsuit (I can wear other blouses with the slacks) a black formal skirt-and lots of tops -3 very formal, and other very dressy and some sort've dressy-with one dressy blazer, several dressy shrugs to switch everything around. I will do alot of mixing and matching.

Now hubby will be harder-so we will use the laundry service for him for sure-and I think we may rent a tux for him on ship-but we will bring his black dress shoes we bought not too long ago. He canwear them both formal and informal nights-that will be 6 of the dinners for the cruise.

You know, caviergal, I was thinking about your Celebrity cruise and how you said many were not dressed to code. You think it being on Thankgving weekend and it being a 4 day was why? (more kids) We did not see that on our Zenith cruise last year and it also was less then 7 days, a 5 day.

Yes, I am sure it was the short cruise that made the difference, as I have never seen shorts and sweats on an X cruise in the dining room at dinner.

There were lots of families and I suspect first timers as well.

I too prefer to dress more than I have to for casual nights. I say go for it!

but you are young-many young women wear pretty sundresses. I know my daughter often wears the dressy satin camis with dressy shrugs and dress pants or a nice skirt-you seem to see it all for your age group-but most women my age do not dress up on casual nights on Carnival and RCI.

Celebrity was the complete opposite-many were dressed up at lunch-it reminded me of the the old "Loveboat" TV show-where you would see Marian Ross wearing this beautiful silk pantsuit playing table tennis!

I wore cocktail dresses on casual nights and gowns on formal night. I love dressing up, and like the OP, I have too many cute dresses. Wear them, and have a great time. One thing though, depending on the line (I have only done Carnival), you'll probably want to change after dinner/main show if you're going to hit some of the bars/lounges...you will be overdressed.

Archived