CocoCay -- how often do they make it?

So if you have paid for excursions on Cococay and the ship does not stop, are they pretty quick in refunding you your money so that you can use for excursions at another port? I assume they then also offer excursions for the new port?

we missed it twice on Galaxy & missed it twice on Grandeur. the best excuse for 1st time on Galaxy was "black widows were running rampant on island"-- this was halloween so we weren't sure if they were pulling our leg. i am on sovereign in 2 weeks- and will be completely shocked if i actually step foot on this supposed island! (btw, we did make little stirrup cay adjacent with norwegian- it was nice!)

we missed it twice on Galaxy & missed it twice on Grandeur. the best excuse for 1st time on Galaxy was "black widows were running rampant on island"-- this was halloween so we weren't sure if they were pulling our leg. i am on sovereign in 2 weeks- and will be completely shocked if i actually step foot on this supposed island! (btw, we did make little stirrup cay adjacent with norwegian- it was nice!)

Little Stirrup Cay is the real name for CocoCay. NCL has a beach on the larger Great Stirrup Cay next door

We're two for tow at Coco Cay but each time proved challenging. Just this Wednesday we had a squall with lightening and gale-force winds that suddenly cleared up so we were able to go. Has a great itme, but just as we finished eating, that squall came back. The guys on the top of the tender were soaked. Well, we did too undernath. It wa slightening, too. I pitied the guys on top. It rained the rest of the afternoon, so I guess everyone who left the island after lunch got soaked.

The first time we went it was a wonderful day, then suddenly a cold front came in. The surf was rocking. We got sprayed in the boat. The worst part was when the tenders tied to hook up the gangplank to the shipo, it kept leaping in the air. It was terribly hard to get on the ship. It took a long, long time to get us all off the tender and it was quite dangerous because the gangplank would fly up and throw whoever was on it forward.

Our luck at Labadee is one out of two. The first time we were to go, there was a revolution in Haiti, so we didn't stop and were given an extra at sea day with osme small reduction in our cruise accounts. When we finally made it to Labadee on Freedom of the Seas, I absolutely loved the place and can't wait to return.

We're two for tow at Coco Cay but each time proved challenging. Just this Wednesday we had a squall with lightening and gale-force winds that suddenly cleared up so we were able to go. Has a great itme, but just as we finished eating, that squall came back. The guys on the top of the tender were soaked. Well, we did too undernath. It wa slightening, too. I pitied the guys on top. It rained the rest of the afternoon, so I guess everyone who left the island after lunch got soaked.

The first time we went it was a wonderful day, then suddenly a cold front came in. The surf was rocking. We got sprayed in the boat. The worst part was when the tenders tied to hook up the gangplank to the shipo, it kept leaping in the air. It was terribly hard to get on the ship. It took a long, long time to get us all off the tender and it was quite dangerous because the gangplank would fly up and throw whoever was on it forward.

Our luck at Labadee is one out of two. The first time we were to go, there was a revolution in Haiti, so we didn't stop and were given an extra at sea day with osme small reduction in our cruise accounts. When we finally made it to Labadee on Freedom of the Seas, I absolutely loved the place and can't wait to return.

Reminds me of an incident a few years ago. The Majesty had been tendering passengers over, and the weather turned extremely nasty very quickly. They could not get people back off the island. They had to raid the shops onboard for clothing (like sweatshirts, jackets, etc.) and some crew volunteered to fill the tenders with supplies and brave another crossing. The Majesty was forced to pull up anchor and circle all night, while a lot of the passengers spent the night on the island. While I realize it was a serious situation, personally I would have loved to spend the night !!!

So if you have paid for excursions on Cococay and the ship does not stop, are they pretty quick in refunding you your money so that you can use for excursions at another port? I assume they then also offer excursions for the new port?

We did not pre-book any excursions on CocoCay, so I can't answer that. We were rerouted to San Juan, and they did offer about 5 or 6 excursions there.

Jarie- I am jealous. That is a load of cruising! WOW!

No, no!!! LOL!!! I have NOT cruised 52 times and made it 35 to Coco Cay. I was just adding up everything everybody submitted on the thread.:D

....would be nice though, huh?

With RCCL it was 2 for 2 for me, both times were September.

BUT, on Disney, they were unable to make it to Castaway Cay and it was Feb (same area, the Bahamas)

And on NCL, they were BARELY able to make it to their private island in the Bahamas and we finally got there at 4pm, the weather was bad, it was June.

For us, all scheduled stops were successful being 4 out of 4, and we often sail during hurricane season because of the really great pricing that time of year. I made it to Labadee 1 out of 1 as well on Mariner in 2005.

Of all the cruises we have taken, we have never had ANY port of call cancelled or replaced with a different destination. If we were to be affected by not stopping or diverted elsewhere, it would not matter to us, as I love the ships more than the ports, and having been to them before would not be a big deal if the seas did not allow the stop to cococay, or anywhere else for that matter. :)

My favorite place to be is on the balcony anyways...:)

0 out of 1 here! Rough seas in December last meant another day at sea. On my first cruise I missed San Juan also and had Labadee cut short. I just think it's something that you can't do anything about so no point in fretting.

Archived