Pacific Sun Vs Sapphire Princess

karmac

Hi Lorraine,

I looked about an hour ago and Sapphire's last reported position was recorded at approx 8pm AEST. I put her position then about 25 miles south of the entrance to Akaroa and 150 miles from Port Chalmers.

I'm really just being an amateur detective here! - but its fun. I might be completely "up the tree!"

Would like to hear what your friends say tomorrow.

You might like to have a look yourself.

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/cruiseships.phtml

Regards,

Tim

Just heard on this mornings news that Sapphire had to cancel its call to Dunedin yesterday because of high winds.

It is a long and narrow channel up the harbour there and with Sapphire being so high it was probably a bit risky.

Hi Lorraine,

I looked about an hour ago and Sapphire's last reported position was recorded at approx 8pm AEST. I put her position then about 25 miles south of the entrance to Akaroa and 150 miles from Port Chalmers.

I'm really just being an amateur detective here! - but its fun. I might be completely "up the tree!"

Regards,

that is a good site tim,i havent seen that one before.

it is amzing just how many cruise ships there are out there sailing the seas!

Hi Lorraine,

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim, thanks , you weren't up a tree.!!!!! the ship did not stop at Port Chalmers.

and thank you for putting some of us onto a new site...

I didn't know it existed....

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Hi Lorraine,

You're welcome.

I'm glad that it wasn't a problem with the ship, just high winds. Apparently, the Captain tried to enter the harbour 3 times but it was too risky.

I hope you have a fantastic cruise on the Sapphire from next week - we did the same Auckland to Sydney trip last year on the Diamond and thoroughly enjoyed it. Make sure you get up early on the day you visit Port Chalmers - it is beautiful scenery as you sail into the harbour at dawn. I took the picture in my avatar as we approached Tairoa Head.

Bon voyage and regards,

Tim

PS : hope to hear all about it when you return.:cool:

Hi Lorraine,

You're welcome.

I'm glad that it wasn't a problem with the ship, just high winds. Apparently, the Captain tried to enter the harbour 3 times but it was too risky.

I hope you have a fantastic cruise on the Sapphire from next week - we did the same Auckland to Sydney trip last year on the Diamond and thoroughly enjoyed it. Make sure you get up early on the day you visit Port Chalmers - it is beautiful scenery as you sail into the harbour at dawn. I took the picture in my avatar as we approached Tairoa Head.

Bon voyage and regards,

Tim

PS : hope to hear all about it when you return.:cool:

Hi Tim, thank you........yes I will be up early for Port Chalmers, I hope the wind is good to us that day.

I love to look at the Albatross nest near the entrance...

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Not long now Lorraine!!:p When do you leave for Auckland? Have you recieved your cabin number yet? Did you choose Traditional dining or Anytime Dining?

Have a wonderful time...:) Just make sure you remember about the size of the theatre!!

Hi Jarrod, thank you... we fly out from here tomorrow afternoon for Brisbane, overnight in hotel , then fly out Sunday morning.

inside cabin B737. not too bad, toward the back, but handy to lift and laundry.

traditional dining.... our travel mates wanted it.

we had anytime on the new Norwegian Star, and really liked it.

(you still had to book a table for formal nights)

I will take note for you regarding the Theatre.

kindest regards, Lorraine:) :)

Similar position to where we were. We were in cabin A718. Was handy to the buffet, only one flight up:) . Good thing you chose Traditional Dining, as the rear lifts are the only lifts that serve the International Dining Room. Was quite a trek to the front of the ship and back!! Didn't find the ship very user friendly.

Also beware of the bottleneck on Promenade deck from the rear lifts through to the Centre lift centrum. Try walking outside on the deck!! Was too hot to do that in Mexico!!:o

Anyway... have a ball.:)

we are in c411 and c333 both inside and in the middle near the lifts. C333 should be an easy number for MIL to recall. she gets lost easily and is a bit worried about the size of the ship.

i actually contacted TA today as i saw a great deal for our cruise (as well as cruise from brissy for tomorrow for under $500 8 days)to see if we could upgrade. she said cruise is sold out. Still they continue to advertise!

karon

I’ve sailed on Diamond Princess, Sister ship to the Sapphire I do have to agree its a somewhat understated inside, it lacks a wow factor for certain for a ship of its size, but I did find it vastly better than anything else on the local market comparing it to some old Canival cruiser thats had the guts run out of it is a joke. ( Its not even fair to compare really )

I couldn’t fault the food, Stateroom, Fellow Pax although the service from time to time was a little on the ordinary side ( Lots of staff seemed to be standing around lost with nothing to do, and the little bitch session a group of pursers staff conducted within earshot of several passengers in the steak house one evening was not a good look )

I have however found after cruising on Diamond, Royal and Sun Princess within the last 4 years to have lost its form a little compared to the earlier days when I used to cruise with my folks. My late father was a huge Royal Princess fan amongst other ships and in the late 80s early 90s it was quite a class act.

I have also been lucky enough to sail on Royal Caribbean ( Enchantment, Legend and Navigator of the Seas ) cannot fault Royal Caribbean and head to head would rate them a touch ahead to today’s Princess Cruises experience. Navigator is a wonderful ship I was truly impressed by it, Enchantment pre-stretch offered one of the best itinaries for the eastern Caribbean, and Legend of the Seas ex Sydney to NZ in 2001 was a great trip also.

Holland America Line - I’ve only been on Prinsendam, She brings back many happy memories for me of holidays with my parents when she sailed as Royal Viking Sun, I love this ship. Holland America offers quite a polished product, In some respects such as Food and Service it’s a little ahead as is Celebrity over its competition but its not so far ahead as to be considered in a different league.

I cannot wait till see Regal Princess here, I had to smile its going to get its twin staterooms reconfigured to 4 berthers, ( Anyone who has ever sailed off shore and then sees pictures of the cabins on P&O local offering would really roll there eyes - there is no comparison ours are sub standard for the money they ask ). Regal has in recent years had a interesting service history It will be interesting to see what P&O will do if it starts to give them trouble here. You could fault it on its lack of open deck space ( Its a wide and common complaint ) but it will be worth the fare to make the direct comparisons.

Happy Cruising....

Novemberbravo1974

Wow, that lady who thought the food was crap on the Sapphire, must be one fussy broad. The food was outstanding. We preferred the passenger mix on the Sky though and thought if you could transfer the Sky passengers onto the Sapphire it would have been friendlier. Even though we can be a funny lot. We found our way around the ship no trouble except for one occasion when I was trying to find the string quartet that were playing on deck 17 I think it was. Found 16 and 18. Hubby enjoyed the Sky better because it was easier for him to meet other bar flys. I don't need other people though and just go to whatever activities I want to during the day. The Sapphire is almost too big a ship I think.

I think the Kiwis and Aussies have more in common with each other than with other nationalities.

Just thought I'd let you all know, last night I went out & one of my friends brought another friend along. She just got of the Sapphire Princess the other day (Auckland to Sydney) and went on the Pacific Sun in March last year. I was AMAZED as her comparisons. She said if she was to go on another cruise & had to choose between the 2, she would definately choose the Sun. She reckons the food on Sapphire was disgusting (to the extent that she didn't even have dinner a couple of nights), the entertainment was crap (as she put it) and basically no activities during the day. She did say the ship was BEAUTIFUL but apart from that, it had nothing going for it. Would love to hear from anybody else who has been on the 2 & see what they think.

Karen

I didn't like the sun one bit. I can't agree with you. :eek::eek: The sapphire princess is great

I didn't like the sun one bit. I can't agree with you. :eek::eek: The sapphire princess is great

You can't disagree with me either. I have no opinon on Sapphire as I haven't sailed on her and I'm not one of those people to comment on a ship I haven't been on. I was merely stating the opinion of a friend because I thought some people might be interested. She didn't say she didn't like the ship, she thought the Sapphire was beautiful. She was disappointed with the food & the activities (or should I say lack of).

Karen

Karon,

Location of your cabin is great we were in C413. Very handy to centre lifts. A little walk to the laudromat to the rear of the ship. It was the 2nd time we have been on Sapphire. We had Trasditional dining 1st sitting but they not only had INternational Dining Room but also Vivaldi as Traditional. Obviously there werer alot of people who wanted 1st siting.

Yes I agree that there were mainly "older" passengers on board but a cruise is what you make it. We could not fault the food or service especially our table waiters. My DH and I agreed that of all the cruises that we have done their service was top rate and we let the powers to be know. Nothing was trouble for them at our table of 8.

As for children on board. Yes I was very surprised that doing NZ-Aust cruise there were only total of 22 kids. 6 teens club of which we had 3 but the kids especially my 17yr old son had the best time and is still raving to anyone who wants to listen. He has been cruising since he was 9 and even thought there werent as many teens they probably got to do alo more things and became very close friends with each other.

We went on the Sun after we had been on Sapphire the first time and I will admit that we didnt enjoy it as much especially the old Sky (We loved that one) but it was a different type of cruise and yes we are talking about differnce bewteen 3 & 5 *.

Next year we are going on the Sun Princess so again a different mix - larger that the Pacific Sun and smaller than the Sapphire and we finally have a balcony for the first time

narelle

Hi narelle, thanks for the info. I though our cabin seemed to be in a good spot. Closer to the edge of the ship would have been better but then we didnt pay those prices either.

I think i may have read on your roll call about lack of kids on your cruise but i think you sailed towards the end of the school holidays so that may have affected numbers. I am hoping this being in school holidays (well except for one day) we will have more

Glad to hear you had a good time and I totally agree a cruise is what you make it. I intend to enjoy this one too...

karon

• 2 weeks later...
Just thought I'd let you all know, last night I went out & one of my friends brought another friend along. She just got of the Sapphire Princess the other day (Auckland to Sydney) and went on the Pacific Sun in March last year. I was AMAZED as her comparisons. She said if she was to go on another cruise & had to choose between the 2, she would definately choose the Sun. She reckons the food on Sapphire was disgusting (to the extent that she didn't even have dinner a couple of nights), the entertainment was crap (as she put it) and basically no activities during the day. She did say the ship was BEAUTIFUL but apart from that, it had nothing going for it. Would love to hear from anybody else who has been on the 2 & see what they think.

Karen

Hi Karen,

I can tell you the Sapphire is a great ship and I am amazed your friend said there were basically no activities during the day....there was plenty to do.... 4 trivia sessions a day, bingo, scrapbooking, flower making,scattergories, golf chipping challenge, ceramics at sea, paddle tennis,shuffleboard competitions, table tennis comps,scavenger hunt,line dancing class,pictionary, horse racing,

the shows rags to riches game show,liars club, and the list goes on.

for an extra fee they had computer lessons.

Every day a late release movie, which the next day was shown in your cabin. ....A good year, Dream girls, Little miss sunshine, The devil wears Prada, Flags of our fathers , The illusionist and the list goes on.

having got off last saturday, and had a great time.

the food was good, entertainment good, staff good etc.

I don't know the age group of your friend, but the majority of passengers were over 45years. maybe that has something to do with her comparison.

or the fact that cruise staff only had a few Aussies....

I have cruised numerous times on the Sun and love her too, but the Sapphire is a good step above her.

(I must love her as I am going on Sun in May and again in June)

Hi Lorraine

I'm glad you had a wonderful time and that the ship was better than what my friend (actually, friend of a friend) had said about her. Actually, she did say she was a lovely ship and nicer than the Sun. She just had a much better time on the Sun and said if she had a choice between the 2 again she would choose the Sun. Her biggest disappointment was the food. Said the cakes were extremely dry etc etc. Believe me, I was dumbfounded when she said it and I haven't even been on Sapphire. She is 50+ and doesn't drink so it's not like she was after more of a party ship. One of the main reasons I was dumbfounded. Anyway, what's important is that you enjoyed your cruise.

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

Karen

Hi karen

We just got off the Sapphire last Thursday in Auckland. here is a summary of what we thought in comparison to both the Sun and the Sky.

Food - practically the same food. Many more options on the Sapphire as to when you might eat (24 hr buffet option) and also we were able to dial complimentary room service 24 hours a day no charge. Also there were the Pizza and Sushi buffets for lunch and the ability to eat desert much later in the 24 hr buffet. All in all pretty much RSL type of food.

Drinks - we puchased one soda card between the three of us. We never once got questioned as to who was drinking what and managed to use the one card for the whole cruise. Travelled with another familly of three who also had the same experience. Coffee and tea were the same as the Sun - disgusting, except for the tea served at arvo tea. The drink service was somewhat lacking as more often than not we had to seek out someone to take our order. On the Sun it appeared that they were falling over themselves to take our orders.

Buffet - On the Sapphire the layout was better suited to the crowds than the SUN which we often found to be quite crowded at times. Seating on the Sun was always a problem for us but never once did we have to search or wait for a table on the Sapphire.

Entertainment - On the Sapphire - it pretty much sucked. The theatre only had seats for approx. a third of those on board. You had to front up at least an hour prior to a show to ensure a seat. Only got to one production and found it to be amateurish compared to other shows we had seen. The lounge entertainment was much better featuring a ventriloquist and a magician. These were not huge productions and we found they did not attract the bigger crowds who tended to flock to the earlier theatre shows. These shows started around 10.30pm.

Bingo - pretty much the same,

Horse racing - much the same

Trivia - very American slant

The trouble with the Sapphire was the age demographic was on average 60+ and the cruise staff with an avergae age of 12 (just kidding) 20 - 30 was having rouble keeping their audience engaged. It is true that the acivities were few and far between but I believe this is because most passengers would retire early and also that there was a push to get passengers to use the spa facilities and the lessons at sea programs which were all very pricey. By not having other activities I think people are more inclined to investigate these options. Pretty sneaky.

Fellow passengers - majority were American approx. 80% in the 60+ age group. ( we asked ) Not to sound harsh but we felt as though we were on some sort of retirement cruise and not that this stopped us from meeting a great range of wonderful people.

Family - this cruise was fully booked approx. 2700 and there were only 35 odd children spread accross the age groups. The facilities compared to the Sun were magnificent. As there were very few children they were all grouped into one group. The lack of numbers in no way detracted from the amount of fun that the boys had. The activities on the Sun paled in comparison. There were no arts and crafts for the boys much to their relief. Instead there were remote control car races and rallies. A trip to the galley on two occasions for a cooking class to create the most outrageous looking cakes you have ever seen. ( all photographed complete with chefs uniforms) A water fight. Indoor tennis and mini golf.

Playstation and other staples were also available. There was no kids sitting for dinner but a trip to the buffet for a feed was all that was required and then back to kids club while we dressed leisurely for our dinner. After dinner we would collect the boys for one of the lounge shows.

Cabins _ very much the same except that we had a balcony on the Sapphire. We had a covered balcony and it was just lovely to have morning coffee out there or watch the sail aways from there. One negative is the secondhand smoke that tends to drift over as a lot of passengers will use their balconies as a smoking area.

TV - much better on the Sapphire. In house movies on every night and quite late as well. I saw a different movie each night and really quite recent releases. Dream girls, the Queen, casino royal, the break up, happy feet etc..

I recall having to pay extra for movies on the Sun - I can't remember.

Refrigerator - a small refrigerator in each cabin was ideal for storing drinks ice etc..

Also we had a different variety of chocolate placed in the cabin each night and the option of a fresh fruit basket daily. no charge.

Formal nights - Very dressy on the Sapphire- not our style. Americans go the whole way with full length gowns etc.. The Sun tended to be more casual in this regard and this suited us better. One thing though was that a lot of people would be dressed up to the nines for eating only. They would go back to their cabins and change after the meal. This happened on both formal nights. Very strange indeed. Why bother?? Small tip... The second formal night appeared to be the most formal with a greater percentage of full length gowns and tuxedos for this night. I used my best dress on the first night, darn it !!!!

Shops - comparable on both ships. Perfume was the best bargain to be had each time. Also I have managed to purchase a great watch on every cruise so I think that the prices are comparable. On the Sapphire though there was more variety and range in regards to bits and pieces like toothpaste, seasickness tabs, cold and flu medication etc.. Also the clothing available for sale catered to the older age group.

Cashless cruising - we much preferred the Sun mehtod of putting cash on your cruisecard. On the Sapphire you were required to give your credit card details to the pursar on embarking. This made it very easy to lose track of spending etc... On the last morning a statement is delivered to your room. Except in our case where an empty envelope was delivered to our room. When I went down to retrieve a statement there was a huge line up of people querying charges against their accounts. The pursar staff were simpley taking the passengers word for it and removing any charges being disputed without question. I found this to be amazing. But apparently this is normal. (we were told by experienced Princess cruisers). With the charges being reliant on the recording of a cabin number it is not unusual for charges to be incorrectly debited to another passenger in error.

Hope this has been helpful. Just realised the summary was turning into a bit of a review.

Cath B

Hi karen

We just got off the Sapphire last Thursday in Auckland. here is a summary of what we thought in comparison to both the Sun and the Sky.

Food - practically the same food. Many more options on the Sapphire as to when you might eat (24 hr buffet option) and also we were able to dial complimentary room service 24 hours a day no charge. Also there were the Pizza and Sushi buffets for lunch and the ability to eat desert much later in the 24 hr buffet. All in all pretty much RSL type of food.

Drinks - we puchased one soda card between the three of us. We never once got questioned as to who was drinking what and managed to use the one card for the whole cruise. Travelled with another familly of three who also had the same experience. Coffee and tea were the same as the Sun - disgusting, except for the tea served at arvo tea. The drink service was somewhat lacking as more often than not we had to seek out someone to take our order. On the Sun it appeared that they were falling over themselves to take our orders.

Buffet - On the Sapphire the layout was better suited to the crowds than the SUN which we often found to be quite crowded at times. Seating on the Sun was always a problem for us but never once did we have to search or wait for a table on the Sapphire.

Entertainment - On the Sapphire - it pretty much sucked. The theatre only had seats for approx. a third of those on board. You had to front up at least an hour prior to a show to ensure a seat. Only got to one production and found it to be amateurish compared to other shows we had seen. The lounge entertainment was much better featuring a ventriloquist and a magician. These were not huge productions and we found they did not attract the bigger crowds who tended to flock to the earlier theatre shows. These shows started around 10.30pm.

Bingo - pretty much the same,

Horse racing - much the same

Trivia - very American slant

The trouble with the Sapphire was the age demographic was on average 60+ and the cruise staff with an avergae age of 12 (just kidding) 20 - 30 was having rouble keeping their audience engaged. It is true that the acivities were few and far between but I believe this is because most passengers would retire early and also that there was a push to get passengers to use the spa facilities and the lessons at sea programs which were all very pricey. By not having other activities I think people are more inclined to investigate these options. Pretty sneaky.

Fellow passengers - majority were American approx. 80% in the 60+ age group. ( we asked ) Not to sound harsh but we felt as though we were on some sort of retirement cruise and not that this stopped us from meeting a great range of wonderful people.

Family - this cruise was fully booked approx. 2700 and there were only 35 odd children spread accross the age groups. The facilities compared to the Sun were magnificent. As there were very few children they were all grouped into one group. The lack of numbers in no way detracted from the amount of fun that the boys had. The activities on the Sun paled in comparison. There were no arts and crafts for the boys much to their relief. Instead there were remote control car races and rallies. A trip to the galley on two occasions for a cooking class to create the most outrageous looking cakes you have ever seen. ( all photographed complete with chefs uniforms) A water fight. Indoor tennis and mini golf.

Playstation and other staples were also available. There was no kids sitting for dinner but a trip to the buffet for a feed was all that was required and then back to kids club while we dressed leisurely for our dinner. After dinner we would collect the boys for one of the lounge shows.

Cabins _ very much the same except that we had a balcony on the Sapphire. We had a covered balcony and it was just lovely to have morning coffee out there or watch the sail aways from there. One negative is the secondhand smoke that tends to drift over as a lot of passengers will use their balconies as a smoking area.

TV - much better on the Sapphire. In house movies on every night and quite late as well. I saw a different movie each night and really quite recent releases. Dream girls, the Queen, casino royal, the break up, happy feet etc..

I recall having to pay extra for movies on the Sun - I can't remember.

Refrigerator - a small refrigerator in each cabin was ideal for storing drinks ice etc..

Also we had a different variety of chocolate placed in the cabin each night and the option of a fresh fruit basket daily. no charge.

Formal nights - Very dressy on the Sapphire- not our style. Americans go the whole way with full length gowns etc.. The Sun tended to be more casual in this regard and this suited us better. One thing though was that a lot of people would be dressed up to the nines for eating only. They would go back to their cabins and change after the meal. This happened on both formal nights. Very strange indeed. Why bother?? Small tip... The second formal night appeared to be the most formal with a greater percentage of full length gowns and tuxedos for this night. I used my best dress on the first night, darn it !!!!

Shops - comparable on both ships. Perfume was the best bargain to be had each time. Also I have managed to purchase a great watch on every cruise so I think that the prices are comparable. On the Sapphire though there was more variety and range in regards to bits and pieces like toothpaste, seasickness tabs, cold and flu medication etc.. Also the clothing available for sale catered to the older age group.

Cashless cruising - we much preferred the Sun mehtod of putting cash on your cruisecard. On the Sapphire you were required to give your credit card details to the pursar on embarking. This made it very easy to lose track of spending etc... On the last morning a statement is delivered to your room. Except in our case where an empty envelope was delivered to our room. When I went down to retrieve a statement there was a huge line up of people querying charges against their accounts. The pursar staff were simpley taking the passengers word for it and removing any charges being disputed without question. I found this to be amazing. But apparently this is normal. (we were told by experienced Princess cruisers). With the charges being reliant on the recording of a cabin number it is not unusual for charges to be incorrectly debited to another passenger in error.

Hope this has been helpful. Just realised the summary was turning into a bit of a review.

Cath B

Hi Cath, we had a great cruise also, but regarding your comment about having to give details of your credit card !!!!.....we were on the cruise before yours and we were able to place cash into our account.

had no trouble at all.

Cath B

The same system is now in place on both Pacific Star and Pacific Sun, except the cruise card is used for every transaction so mistakes shouldn't happen.

• 5 months later...

Archived