Pacific Sun Vs Sapphire Princess

karmac

Just thought I'd let you all know, last night I went out & one of my friends brought another friend along. She just got of the Sapphire Princess the other day (Auckland to Sydney) and went on the Pacific Sun in March last year. I was AMAZED as her comparisons. She said if she was to go on another cruise & had to choose between the 2, she would definately choose the Sun. She reckons the food on Sapphire was disgusting (to the extent that she didn't even have dinner a couple of nights), the entertainment was crap (as she put it) and basically no activities during the day. She did say the ship was BEAUTIFUL but apart from that, it had nothing going for it. Would love to hear from anybody else who has been on the 2 & see what they think.

Karen

I agree with some points. I was on Diamond (sistership), and found it to be 'average'. The food was great. We only ate at the buffet for breakfast, lunch & dinner, and found the food to the best Buffet food we have had.

Entertainment was so-so. And when there was something on, it would be the same time as something else.

The ship didn't have the WOW factor on me. In fact I was quite disappointed. It just seemed like a hotel to me. It lacked character.

I haven't been on the Sun, but will be going in October. I admit it, I'll be comparing it to previous ships (I know I really shouldn't).

Better go, there is lightning pretty close by...

Just thought I'd let you all know, last night I went out & one of my friends brought another friend along. She just got of the Sapphire Princess the other day (Auckland to Sydney) and went on the Pacific Sun in March last year. I was AMAZED as her comparisons. She said if she was to go on another cruise & had to choose between the 2, she would definately choose the Sun. She reckons the food on Sapphire was disgusting (to the extent that she didn't even have dinner a couple of nights), the entertainment was crap (as she put it) and basically no activities during the day. She did say the ship was BEAUTIFUL but apart from that, it had nothing going for it. Would love to hear from anybody else who has been on the 2 & see what they think.

Karen

Hi Karen, I will let you know my opinion in a couple of weeks. I join the ship in Auckland on the 12th. have already done several cruises on the Sun, and Star last year ,so will tell the difference.

Two of our cruise friends are doing BTB at the moment, rang up from Melbourne and Hobart, and they say everything is O.K. except a problem with electrics.

The dinner menu is the same as on Pacific Star and the Sun.

there have been days where 4 trivia games have been on. (even at night), they say the games are better organized than on the P&O ships.

but the CD is very average. DCD is an Aussie girl.

kindest regards, Lorraine:) :)

Hi Karen.

I too will be able to give you my opinion very soon.

i realise this will be a very different cruise. This is more land based and cooler not just sitting around a deserted island kind of trip, but this is why we chose this particular cruise.

I am still a little fearful of how dressy this is going to be comapred to the relaxed nature of the "sun" also how many kids are going to be on board.

Of course i have been reading tons on the "other" board and it does appear to appeal to the older set but again we will see. We will have a good time no matter what. there has been a ton of mixed reviews like the "sun" some love it some hate the party nature of it.

My three cruises have all been different (going with different people) so i dont expect not to love this one too.

karon

Hi Karen,

Your friend makes a very good point.As you know my view on P&O have been quiet critical but only about their ships.As far as entertainment,things to do etc, they are 1st class but their ships are old rejects from other lines.That will definately change when The Pacific Dawn arrives...if they get in repaired.Its long overdue for P&O to introduce a world class liner to its aussie fleet.This is a modern ship and together with P&O great activities ,food and service us aussies are gunna get the cruise market we havent had but always deserved.

With a lot of overseas ships i have sailed only have limited activities but this can be credited to mostly everyday they are in a port and only sail during the nights unlike cruising from Sydney you are at sea for 2-3 days before hitting a port and 2-3 days at sea after leaving your last port.I like time at sea its always fun times meeting new friends and just enjoying the pleasure of cruising....but it works either way.I have been on 21 cruises and i can honestly say that on all of them the food and service has always been of an exceptional standard.My favourite cruises would have to be on the old Fairstar when she was owned by sitmar....there were terrific.

Im really looking forward to your comments when you get back off the Dawn .I reckon you will love the bigger ,more spacious ship but still getting the famous P&O service and activities.Di and I will definately do a cruise on the Dawn one day.The only reason we are doing our next cruise on the Sun Princess is because its not here all the time and i like to try new ships.One good thing is the Dawn will always be here...yipeeee a good ship at last.

:) Cheers For now

Col & Di:rolleyes:

Hi Karen.

I too will be able to give you my opinion very soon.

i realise this will be a very different cruise. This is more land based and cooler not just sitting around a deserted island kind of trip, but this is why we chose this particular cruise.

I am still a little fearful of how dressy this is going to be comapred to the relaxed nature of the "sun" also how many kids are going to be on board.

Of course i have been reading tons on the "other" board and it does appear to appeal to the older set but again we will see. We will have a good time no matter what. there has been a ton of mixed reviews like the "sun" some love it some hate the party nature of it.

My three cruises have all been different (going with different people) so i dont expect not to love this one too.

karon

Karon,

I did find Princess a bit dressy, afterall they are classified as a 'premium' line. During the day wasn't a problem, it was very casual, but at night it was quite formal, even on the informal nights.Don't forget there will be plenty of Americans on this ship, so I think it will cater more for them. I packed my suit with me, but didn't end up using it, as we ate in the buffet every day for BL & D. The food was fantastic.:)

Don't expect a party scene at all. Even Mexico, which is classified as a 'fun' destination, there were was no 'partying'.

And if you ever get the opportunity, do Alaska before it's too late!!:rolleyes: You don't need any activities to keep occupied. I just sat outside on the balcony watching the beautiful scenery go by.:cool:

Karon/Karen

Friends of ours were on the Sapphire in December, they havent cruised before so didnt have anything to compare it to. They did say there were alot of Americans, everything was really expensive as it was the USD$, tipping was huge. They do have the cruising bug though and have booked on the Sun Princess for next February to do NZ. They met some wonderful friends but would not like to do Asia again as most of the ports were so far away from major towns and attractions they spent most of their time travelling. They said the ship was beautiful!

Jarrod,

Can I pick your brains re an Alaskan cruise, think this is how I would get my hubby cruising again, after Tahiti of course!

Which is the best line to go with and why? and when is the best season? I usually do heaps of research before I ask questions, but since you have mentioned it........Thanks heaps

Chez

Chez,

There are plenty of bargains to be had!! Back in 04 we paid about $3500 each for a 7 night cruise on Celebrity Infinity in the most expensive balcony cabin. This also included the return airfare to Vancouver with Air Canada. It also included all the taxes and tips.

We went in early June, which was the 'low' season. I think it was only the 3rd cruise of the season.

Cruise line is a difficult one. It depends what you want. I found Celebrity to be a bit upmarket, but the Ship was magnificent. The cabin was the best yet, with plenty of space, and even a sofa bed. There is so many choices. Do you want to do a Northbound, Southbound or a Vancouver return cruise. We did a Vancouver return cruise, and visited Ketchikan, Juneau and Sitka. Weather was good (for me anyway), with temps in the late teens. The following week it was in the 30's, so it is luck I guess. Seeing the sunset around 113opm was something special as well.

Personally I could see you on Royal Caribbean. They have a few ships that go to Alaska. Currently they have Radiance, Serenade and Vision of the Seas doing Alaska. If you have a chance visit http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/home.do;jsessionid=0000lGk3Z5CRFATVgh6YquN59kN:10ktdmods?shipClassCode=RD&br=R , I would try ans stick to the Radiance Class, they are alot nicer apparently. Have a look at the Virtual tour.

If you don't like that, the other bet would be NCL with their freestyle cruising. Check out www.ncl.com

There are Sooooooo many options with Alaska.

Also, there can be some good deals from San Francisco. You have some extra days at sea, and you pay alot less.:confused:

Happy hunting.:D

Thanks Jarrod,

Looks like I have some research to do! Just used to hopping on P&O and knowing where I am going:rolleyes: If it's going to be anthing like my research for Thailand I had better start now! Hubby was reading your post over my shoulder, this is a good sign!

Will check out those websites and keep you updated with my thoughts,

was looking at some photo's of the Regal Princess and loved the scenery, here is the website i was looking at, notice the underwater veiw of the pool:eek: better keep Geri and I away from that when it becomes the Dawn! We will be the ones on the other side taking photo's! I loved these photo's!

http://www.megapathdsl.net/%7Ewebsailor/Alaska_Cruise_2006/index.html

Chez

Some great photos there. Ah the memories...:rolleyes:. Was very similar weather to what we had in Sitka. When we were cruising the Hubbard glacier, it was overcast, a bit rainy and a bit on the cool side.:D

The Butchart Gardens on Vancouver Island is a must!! Even I, who absolutely hates anything to do with gardens, found it awesome.:eek:

The Sapphire and Diamond both cruise Alaska during the Summer (not ours of course!!). So if you like the Sapphire kaseyoz, you can cruise Alaska on her!!:)

In a way it is a shame that the Regal is going to visit Alaska for the last time this year. Would have been a nice ship to do Alaska. Seemed very warm and inviting. She defiantely looks like a Princess ship inside!!

The mini-suite looked a bit run down though.:(

thanks jarrod for the info.

an alaskan cruise is probably the only other cruise i will be able to talk my husband into.

Our next trip will probably be disneyworld in dec 2008 for our 20th anniversary and my 50th birthday. AS well as cruising i also love disney and mickey(i must have over 200 mickeys)

During this trip we may do another cruise from florida or if we can swing a trip to canada as well(we have good friends there)we may do the alskan tour. it will be over the xmas break. i havent done any research on those cruises yet. What is the best time for alaska?

karon

Alaska is strictly mid May to end of September. You'd freeze your butt off otherwise.:p

Soooo many options out of Florida as well. Miami, Port Canaveral, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa & Jacksonville!! You could try the massive Freedom of the Seas & Liberty of the Seas. I think 7 nights is around $1000 inside twin.

Also came across this, a 13 night Transatlantic cruise for $449US!! inside twin share.:eek: :eek: :eek: Pack your bags because it leaves the 23rd of April. Sorry accidenatally came across when doing a price search for cruise out of Miami.:o

Back on topic.... Got any patricular places in mind? How many nights minimum. Maximum though from Florida is usually 7 though. It's a bit far out to check schedules and pricing for Dec/Jan 08/09.

Jarrod, what do think about HAL? been doing a bit of reading, they seem like more traditional ships.

I like the itinerary you did, I like the idea of Vancouver return. The Alaska forum is interesting reading too! Well looks like June 2008 is out with Tahiti booked and if the best time to go is July/September I will have to wait till 2009:eek: unless we win lotto of course and don't have to worry about annual leave and paying for it;)

Chez

I've always said, when the day comes for me to cruise other than P&O Aust, it would be HAL.

Actually, the lady I was talking about in my original post on this thread, has cruised on the Valendam and LOVED it.

Karen

Hi Chez...don't try HAL,we would never get you back on a P&O ship:D :D

ha ha!! I will always come back to P&O! We have a bit of history! And it's so convenient for us to cruise from Sydney, but I'm open for change for a different destination. Now the kids are older we can travel further and longer:D

Was just checking out the different ships, really not into 5 star cruising, is HAL too posh for us?? oh how I love travelling with my fellow Aussies!

Anyone cruised HAL on here?

Chez

I've always said, when the day comes for me to cruise other than P&O Aust, it would be HAL.

Actually, the lady I was talking about in my original post on this thread, has cruised on the Valendam and LOVED it.

Karen

Whoops, sorry Karen to hijack your post! maybe your friend was on the Sun with us in March last year? Isn't it amazing that she enjoyed the Pacific Sun more than the Sapphire! See, each to their own:D

HAL does look nice, and the reviews look good too.

Chez

ha ha!! I will always come back to P&O! Anyone cruised HAL on here?

P&O 12

N Capricorn 3

Princess 7

Royal Caribbean 2

Star Cruises 2

HAL 2

Cunard 1

NCL 1

Regent Seven Seas 1

and somehow , I always come back to P&O:)

.As far as entertainment,things to do etc, they are 1st class but their ships are old rejects from other lines.That will definately change when The Pacific Dawn arrives...if they get in repaired.Its long overdue for P&O to introduce a world class liner to its aussie fleet.This is a modern ship and together with P&O great activities ,food and service us aussies are gunna get the cruise market we havent had but always deserved.

I find the "old" style, look and feel of the P&O ships to be very warming, comforting and relaxing... I feel P&O don't need to have an upper class line where people need to dress up and generally watch their behaviour to unnatural extents... I would prefer a holiday where i can walk around in shorts and have a good time... That's why I choose P&O above other lines... Upper class is just not what they're about and if people want this they should be looking for other lines rather than expecting one to change... This is not meant to offend anyone but I tryuly enjoyed my holiday with P&O and get a little defensive of them :o

Hi all,

We recently cruised sydney to auckland on the sapphire in january 07 and have booked 13 night cruise on the pacific sun to fiji for August 07. We have also cruised on the pacific sky. We have thoroughly enjoyed each cruise for different reasons, I think if you go with the flow, you will love it whichever ship.

The sapphire is big and beautiful, service was excellent, food terrific, lots of pools and plenty to do if you wanted to. We were happy relaxing by the pool. I do agree that at night the different shows were sometimes on at the same time, perhaps because there are so many lounges/bars. The cruise director was average. The average age on the sapphire is OLD, and I guess activities are directed at them, compared to the sky where it was party party! We are in our early forties, and can adapt to either type of crowd. The sapphire also has a lot of americans on it.

We are looking forward to cruising on the sun, and really dont want to compare it. We know it is 3 star, and the sapphire 5 star, you make your own fun on your own holiday, and just enjoy being away with no housework or cooking to do, and get out of bed when it suits you! I love it!:)

Regards,

Michele:)

Hi all,

I just wanted to add, that you could wear anything during the day. If you eat at the buffet at night- casual wear again. In the dining room at night, formal means formal! Semi-formal- some women wore jeans, I wore pants or dressy shorts with smart top. Some people really dressed up, I think they were the americans!

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Michele:)

Two of our cruise friends are doing BTB at the moment, rang up from Melbourne and Hobart, and they say everything is O.K. except a problem with electrics.

Lorraine, I notice that it appears that Sapphire Princess did not visit Port Chalmers today as scheduled and, as I write, is waiting outside Lyttleton Harbour (Christchurch) early (sailwx.info & both ports' schedules) I am wondering whether the electrical problems you mentioned caused a delay?

Lorraine, I notice that it appears that Sapphire Princess did not visit Port Chalmers today as scheduled and, as I write, is waiting outside Lyttleton Harbour (Christchurch) early (sailwx.info & both ports' schedules) I am wondering whether the electrical problems you mentioned caused a delay?

Hi, thank you for that info....

what time did you look at sailwx ???, because if Sapphire was in Port Chalmers today, she would have left at 4-4.30pm our time.

very interesting...

I may have to ring up tomorrow and find out if everything is on schedule before we leave here.

Archived