Tour of the Cruise Ship?

Sailing on Legend of the Seas 3/17 thru 3/24. Does RCCL offer tours of the ship where you could see the bridge, etc? My wife's family (in their 70's and 80's) have always been into sailing and I thought they would be fascinated by a tour of such a large ship.

As I understand it, they used to do tours until 9/11 etc, and since then don't for 'security' reasons, although I believe if you are Diamond cruiser or something, you do sometimes get the offer. I was on the Radience in 2005 and managed to blag my way on to joining a tour of the galley which was big and fascinating...then the chef who was acting as guide says "of course, we have 4 of these galleys plus 8 satelites for the room service"! Unbelievable!

Simon

As I understand it, they used to do tours until 9/11 etc, and since then don't for 'security' reasons, although I believe if you are Diamond cruiser or something, you do sometimes get the offer. I was on the Radience in 2005 and managed to blag my way on to joining a tour of the galley which was big and fascinating...then the chef who was acting as guide says "of course, we have 4 of these galleys plus 8 satelites for the room service"! Unbelievable!

Simon

You must be Diamond Plus to get these tours.

Mike

Even Diamond Plus is NOT ALLOWED ON THE BRIDGE! Since 9/11.

I don't think that is true because in 2002 when we were on the Radiance the bridge was open for a walk-through one day. Hundreds of people were allowed to walk through and ask questions.

It was announced on my August AOS Cruise from the captain, that NO pax are allowed to tour the Bridge since 9/11, due to security issues. You can still go up to the bridge and look through the windowson certain ships, and some ships even have that section roped off, that you can't even get near the windows.

You'd have to see if someone who's sailed on the Legend has managed to get a tour

On the ships I've been on in the past 5 years (see below), only Radiance and Grandeur were giving bridge tours to Diamond and Platinum and only if the captain was cool with it. During the '03 Alaska season, Capt Kent opened bridge tours to everyone, but there were limited 'tickets' and a thorough security screening.

I was lucky enough to spend a good hunk of the day during the Panama Canal transit this past year on Radiance. Capt Rune invited any crew members up to watch. It was very fasinating!

Here a link to pix

I'd advise you to ask the Loyalty Ambassador as that's the person who schedules those tours onboard (along with the galley and backstage D&P tours)

This is incorrect. We had a private bridge tour on Jewel in December, just as we (D+) have had on all sailings. It is by invitation only and the groups are small.

We spent more than a half hour on the bridge with the Captain and First Officer.

We are taking my father-in-law on the Monarch next weekend for a surprise 70th birthday... I wish there was some way to arrange a tour even though we aren't D+ (yet!).

He is quite a figure in the So. California sailing world as Captain of several historic tallship replicas and runs the SeaScout program for kids, USGC Master License, etc. (if by some weird chance you recognize and know this person, don't blow the surprise this week by mentioning any of this!)

Will polite begging with the Loyalty Ambassador or Guest Relations on board do squat?

It was announced on my August AOS Cruise from the captain, that NO pax are allowed to tour the Bridge since 9/11, due to security issues. You can still go up to the bridge and look through the windowson certain ships, and some ships even have that section roped off, that you can't even get near the windows.

The Captain misspoke. As Diamond Plus members we have been on several bridge tours on RCI ships since 9/11. You do have to go through an additional security screening and be wanded before you are allowed into the bridge, but what your captain told you is not true on all RCI ships. Your particular captain may have decided not to allow visitors to the bridge or he may have made his statement to discourage passengers from requesting a tour, but Diamond plus members generally get a printed invitation while they are onboard indicating that tours of the bridge, galley, and backstage are available to them. We have taken several and passed on others.

The Captain decides who and when someone gets on the bridge. There are lots of reasons someone may tour the bridge. There is just one person on the ship that has the choice, the Captain. It is afterall his/her ship. If you want a tour, ask for it. If you get one say thanks, if you get a "NO" say thanks. Maybe next time.

We are taking my father-in-law on the Monarch next weekend for a surprise 70th birthday... I wish there was some way to arrange a tour even though we aren't D+ (yet!).

He is quite a figure in the So. California sailing world as Captain of several historic tallship replicas and runs the SeaScout program for kids, USGC Master License, etc. (if by some weird chance you recognize and know this person, don't blow the surprise this week by mentioning any of this!)

Will polite begging with the Loyalty Ambassador or Guest Relations on board do squat?

In your particular case, I would prepare a letter to the captain ahead of time (before boarding-as short and clear as possible and typed as English is second language for many) explaining the bday, age, 'qualifications" -so to speak, and reason for wanting the tour...and ask guest relations to deliver it. The bridge tour is usually done toward the end of the cruise and he might consent to include you. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

That is incorrect. our friends were on Enchantment last week and posted pictures of their visit to the bridge, as diamond passengers.

You must be Diamond Plus to get these tours.

Mike

Both statements are wrong, I´ve been on bridge tours past 9/11 as Platinum, Diamond and Elite on Celebrity. Some have been by special invitation and others open for signing up for everybody on the ship including first timers.

I´ve never been searched on any of these tours.

They are still existant but not on every ship.

My opinion is that it´s up to the Captains choice if he wants to perform these tours or not and who will get them.

My 11 year old daughter, was on the bridge on Mariner over New Years, she made friends with a kid whose Dad worked for RCI and was friends with the Captain. They had a tour of the bridge and also the captains suite.

I took a 5 night cruise during spring break when I was a senior in college in 1995, can't remember the ship or the line now but I know it was an older, smaller ship even then. I introduced myself to the First Mate at the bar one night, indicated an interest in nautical engineering and spent about 3 hours the next day touring everything from the bowels of the engine room (I actually got to stand on a catwalk over the propellor shafts and see where they went out into the water!) to the galley to the crew's quarters to the bridge. It was an AWESOME experience. They even had me exit the engine room area through the emergency ports (a series of ladders with water sealing hatches between them).

Yeah, I was a bit younger, and thinner, and cuter back then! ;-) AND of course 1995 was a different world security wise!

Archived