Stupid Question about luggage and passport

riggrnr

:confused: :confused: Just to let you know.. I have also posted this in Roll call.

OK Guys, Need to know 1 little stupid thing. Should we put locks on our luggae or is that a nono for security at airports and cruise lines? I have only flown 1 time before and that was 20 years ago. Never been on cruise ship.

Also checked with the passport web site and read that the passports would be avaiable for tracking approximatly 3 weeks after submittin. Passport should arrive 10 weeks after submitting. That puts me to the day before the cruise. I still can not check status onlyin, and when I called passport agency last week they asked me when trip was and I told them. Thye said we should have them in plenty of time. This was before update on web site about the 10 weeks. Any suggestions???? We sent in our only birth certificates. I am statrting to get alittle freaked about right now..

My advice is to get another birth certificate just in case it doesn't make it. My passport arrived in 7 weeks. 1 week before our cruise. This year my boyfriends came within 6 weeks. I also could not check my status. You can call the number on the passport site and they will check for you, it could just be an error inthe symstem.

You can lock you bags as long as you have TSA approved locks.

You can put only TSA (Transportation Safety Administration) approved locks on your luggage. Otherwise they have the right to cut off any non-approved locks. Some people just put on little plastic tags you can buy from Magellan's or TravelSmith or at travel supply stores.

You can call your Congressperson's office about the passports if you're "freaked". Some of them do things like that as a service to constituents.

I can't help you regarding the passports. I will say that we have had good luck getting them in a shorter amount of time.

As to locking your luggage. You can purchase TSA approved locks. If they are not the approved type, they may be cut off if your luggage needs to be inspected.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/locks.shtm

I hope that this helps.

You may want to pay extra to expedite your passport - mine took 7 weeks for a renewal. You can do that even if you have already sent it in.

I understand it is taking close to a month for people to see tracking on the website because the passport office is so backed up.

You can use TSA approved locks. We do all the time.

Call the toll-free number listed on the website. They will have info, even if the website doesn't. After they told me they had it, but the expected date would probably never show up on the web, about two weeks later it did show up with a date, which is actually when I got it.

FWIW, mine took 5 weeks, even with 2 holidays and a national day of mourning in there.

Instead of a regular lock, we use plastic cable ties that you can buy somewhere like WalMart - around $1 for a bag of 100. If Security removes them, they are supposed to replace them with another cable tie. Ours have never been cut off and replaced. You can tell if they have been removed and replaced because the TSA cable ties are a differenc color. This way your bags are securely closed so that just anyone can't open them. A lot cheaper than TSA approved locks. Just be sure to put some type of scissors in an outside pocket on your checked luggage or you will get to your destination and not have anything to cut the cable ties off with.

Rec'd our passports in 7 weeks to the day. I think that I would get another bc just in case. By the way that was not a stupid question. I am sure that you will enjoy your cruise once you get over the panic situation. I know I felt the same way before I got mine. :)

Had TSA type locks they are supposed to be able to open. Yeah, right...cut them anyway, and they aren't cheap. I am not impressed, and am a frequent flyer (>50,000 miles last year. Get a box of cable ties at Lowes or WallyWorld or the like and use them. Keep a nail clipper in an outer pocket so you have something to cut them off with.

I'm sorry. Something that can be cut off with a fingernail clipper or any pocket knife doesn't add much security in my mind. Especially if a convenient device for cutting them is in an outside pocket! I' d recommend the TSA locks.

I'm sorry. Something that can be cut off with a fingernail clipper or any pocket knife doesn't add much security in my mind. Especially if a convenient device for cutting them is in an outside pocket! I' d recommend the TSA locks.

Do you really think thieves can't get their hands on the master keys to open the TSA locks? The main reasons to lock your luggage or use the ties are: 1) so the luggage won't come open by accident, 2) to deter thieves - they would prefer to open and steal from a suitcase with no hindrance getting in it. Even a plastic tie provides some hindrance and would reduce their speed somewhat, but either the lock or the tie would require minimal time for a thief to enter the suitcase.

My friend renewed his passport in early February. It took 3-1/2 weeks for the passport office to even open his envelope. He asked for and paid for express mail on the return. Still took just over 4 weeks to get it back. He was lucky. Apparently there are over 100,000 passport applications in the system right now.

My advice is to get another birth certificate just in case it doesn't make it. My passport arrived in 7 weeks. 1 week before our cruise. This year my boyfriends came within 6 weeks. I also could not check my status. You can call the number on the passport site and they will check for you, it could just be an error inthe symstem.

You can lock you bags as long as you have TSA approved locks.

I total agree and would say this is excellent advise.

I've heard of many cases where the TSA locks are just cut off anyway...why bother? I can see using the zip ties so the luggage doesn't open by accident. I don't lock my luggage at all. I've never had a problem, flying 5-6 times a year. Of course, I don't pack anything in my luggage that anyone would want to steal anyway. That helps too. :p

If you're looking for security, tell me how ANY kind of lock prevents a thief from cutting into your CANVAS BAG with a pocket knife! Those TSA locks are no good unless you carry stainless steel luggaage. Even then....

Locks are only for keeping the suitcase zippers from sliding open and for scaring off the unambitious crooks!

Incidentally, I read a story recently about the TSA PEOPLE - WITH THEIR TSA LOCK MASTER KEYS being arrested for stealing from people's luggage at some airport.

You can't win, so just do whatever makes you feel better!

:)

No stupid question here ! You are doing the right thing getting the information now.

I wil chime in on the baggage issue. I understand that others have a different point of view- thats fine- we all have different comfort levels,

1) Pls put a copy of your itinerary in your suitcase on top of your clothes before you zip it up. This could help if tags fall off.

2) I would go for the cable ties. If you feel a need to lock. I never do. Previous posters have correctly stated that locking will be a nuisance factor to anyone who wants to break in.

The trick is HAVE NOTHING OF VALUE IN your suitcase.

3) Do not pack medications, jewelry, cameras, any technogy. Do not pack any documents. All these should be on your person all times during travel.

4) I like to use canvas webbing straps, they snap closed around your SUITCASE, looped thru the handle. Bag will not accidently open. And it will attract attention if anyone tries to get into it.

5) Again, others have a different POV, but I put on my cruise tags before flying to my destination. Princess usually gives you twice what you need. Retag if necessary upon arrival. These things are really sturdy. Again, this will provide instant information in the event your bag misses you along the way or at your destination.

Have fun !

As stated before: Do not put anything of value or anything that you don't want people rifling through! Use the zip ties to keep your zippers closed so your 'unmentionalbles' don't end up on the run way. Every one of our 6 suitcases was opened by tsa. Had zip tied. TSA did not put new ones on. Just put a note inside that our suitcases were the lucky ones! Carry extra zipties and I believe that now you can bring fingernail clippers again in your carry ons. If not, like others said, put a pair or some sort of cutting device in one of the outside pockets.

:rolleyes: Some bonus thoughts: Don't forget to mark your suitcase in some way (bright pink bandana tied around handle, etc) to make it know that it is yours. There are only ten million blue and black rolling suitcases out there. And make sure you check the tags to be certain that the bag is indeed yours! If you get home and it's not your suit case neither the airline or cruiseline will pay to swap them!

As others have said - no stupid questions here! This website is supposed to HELP, and it is great when it does!

After we had difficulty locating a black suitcase in the sea of suitcases on the disembarkation day, we started using the plastic hawaiian leis that they give you on the big party night on the ship - technically they are "free" and usually last through 2 flights or more, so by the time you cruise again, you will get another one!!

All the best on your upcoming vacation!

Ok just looked at account summary from bank and see that my 2 checks for DH & my passport have cleared the bank. Still does not show status on web site as of yet. How long do you think it shall be to show up? and how long till we get them. Any inout would be greatly appreciated. You guys are wonderful.

:confused: :confused: Just to let you know.. I have also posted this in Roll call.

Also checked with the passport web site and read that the passports would be avaiable for tracking approximatly 3 weeks after submittin. Passport should arrive 10 weeks after submitting. That puts me to the day before the cruise. I still can not check status onlyin, and when I called passport agency last week they asked me when trip was and I told them. Thye said we should have them in plenty of time. This was before update on web site about the 10 weeks. Any suggestions???? We sent in our only birth certificates. I am statrting to get alittle freaked about right now..

Not to scare you, but my DD applied for her passport renewl on Jan 5 and was told it would be 6-8 weeks. I checked online and it was supposed to come on or around 2/27. I tried calling the number multiple times - apparently they are so overloaded they aren't taking calls. Called my local County Clerk (where my DD submitted the app). They were able to check on the status on Monday, 3/5. Still had the application - had not begun processing it! They agreed to do it right away and send it express so that we'd have it by the end of the week. We are sailing 3/17. You may want to try this avenue, But they may not expedite it because they aren't technically late. A backup BC is a good idea as long as you don't need to fly to a foreign port. Good luck!

Archived