Carnival Cruise, How Formal?

Lowie

We are doing a 7 night Carnival Triumph cruise in June and so many people I've spoken to say that Carnival is really lax in the dress code and formal night isn't ultra formal. So, my question is... will I be TOO formal in a full length gown? it's not an 'over the top' gown, but still...

Do you all think that there will be at least 30% of women in gowns? if so, then I'll be OK, but if I'm one out of 5 women I'd die!

My 1st dress is dark blue mainly backless with laces criss crossing the back and square cut across the chest. It's even got a bit of a train on the back.

My 2nd dress is extremely low cut, long and black.

You will see everything but most will be in either nice formal gowns or cocktail dresses. A few will wear maybe a dressy dress or a sparkly top with dress slacks and few will even ignore the dress code and wear jeans-but at least 90% will be dressed nicely.

If you have a nice dress that you would wear to an afternoon wedding or to a dressy Christmas party that will be fine.

Even though it is referred to "formal" night-it does not mean black tie-many say "after 5" dress would be a better term.

We are doing a 7 night Carnival Triumph cruise in June and so many people I've spoken to say that Carnival is really lax in the dress code and formal night isn't ultra formal. So, my question is... will I be TOO formal in a full length gown? it's not an 'over the top' gown, but still...

Never never never TOO formal!

You will not "stand out", you will be "outstanding"!:D

Wear what you want, please, run around to each and every picture station that is set up for those nights (Carnival has some of the best photographers out there)...

Then, pick and choose near the end of the cruise, which are your best pictures and shots - once in a lifetime...

From a lifetime cruiser on many different lines, since I was a baby (and now currently Carnival is my favorite for this particular time in my life)...

Take the pictures, dress up to what you want...

You will treasure the pictures forever, and most people will never remember who was dressed "down", but all people will remember in the best way (especially the most important person in this perspective - yourself and your family) who looked great!

Do you all think that there will be at least 30% of women in gowns? if so, then I'll be OK, but if I'm one out of 5 women I'd die!

Stop "die"ing or even worrying about this...

Dress up! Look great, you will be fine!

You will find on Carnival in general, that yes, there can be some "lax" dressers, but again on Carnival you will find some of the most amazing best dressers! Go for it! See if you can be the "best dressed"!

My 1st dress is dark blue mainly backless with laces criss crossing the back and square cut across the chest. It's even got a bit of a train on the back.

It all sounds good! Go for it! Take pictures! Enjoy your evening! Stop worrying about what anyone else is going to be wearing.

Own it! Enjoy it! Take as many pictures as you can!

You will be thankful later on to have this time and these memories!

Just my two cents;)

But I know what I'm talking about here...

CJW

CJW is absolutely right! I wear gowns on the formal nights and cocktail dresses on the other nights. Yes, I'm a bit overdressed for the other nights, but I have the dresses, and I always get tons of compliments. Wear what you want, look fabulous, don't worry about what others are wearing, and have a FANTASTIC time!

I would rather err on the side of caution and dress according to the written dress code. And just think - that's the best time to get great formals photos taken! They make the best souvenirs, IMO.

One last thing, though. The formality of your dress should match (not color-wise) your SO's outfit.

I really didn't notice much difference in the type of formal wear between the two Carnival cruises we've taken versus Princess and Celebrity. I almost always wear long gowns, including the one 'ball' gown I own and have never felt out-of-place. Since I never get to dress up much in my normal life, I love putting on the glitz for a few brief hours.

On any cruise line you will see a wide range from 'church' type clothes to full out ball gowns on formal night. Plus a few people who ignore the dress code altogether and dress very casually. I also tend to be more dressy on most other nights too, often wearing cocktail dresses or a long black skirt with a dressy top.

Wear your long gowns and enjoy!

If it makes you happy to wear what you have, by all means wear it, and never worry about what other people are wearing.

Cheers,

Peter

You will see everything but most will be in either nice formal gowns or cocktail dresses. A few will wear maybe a dressy dress or a sparkly top with dress slacks and few will even ignore the dress code and wear jeans-but at least 90% will be dressed nicely.

If you have a nice dress that you would wear to an afternoon wedding or to a dressy Christmas party that will be fine.

Even though it is referred to "formal" night-it does not mean black tie-many say "after 5" dress would be a better term.

Well I can't speak for anyone else, but on my upcoming Carnival Miracle cruise this June, I will be wearing a very fancy black cocktail dress for the first formal night, hubby will be in a suit and tie. Second formal night I will be wearing a very fancy black pants suit and again hubby will be in a suit and tie. The other nights I will wear capris with a nice top and sweater or a nice casual pants suit and hubby will be in dockers and a nice collard shirt. We like to dress for the occasion. :D

CJW is right!!! My husband and I just came back from Panama and I wore formal dresses every night! He wore his tux 4 times! Did we stand out? I hope so! We are both in our late 40's and we never get to get dresses up like this, and it's wonderful. Others looked good, on the formal nights probably 70% went formal. The one's that didn't-they stood out. We head to Alaska in Sept and we will be with an older crowd and they always know how to dress! Have a great time and look great!!

Pam

mostly long gowns and beaded dresses on formal nights on Carnival...even on the 4 day cruise! Many men in tuxedos also! There is such an elegance about those formal nights, dress up and enjoy!

My daughter just bought a beautiful red gown, could almost be called a ball gown for our Valor cruise. I wear a long dress for both formals, my daughter wears one gown and then a sparkly cocktail dress. There is never a time when it is wrong to look your best. I love when out of the blue a fellow passenger will come up and say " Hey I love your Dress" or "You all look really great tonight".It really makes my night. I always tell people I see how much I like their evening wear.Last Year we got a whole table load of petite fours and stuff because our whole family is platinum and we each get a plate. So we picked a table we felt were really dressed well for formal night and took a couple of plates to their table and told them we picked them because they looked so nice. My boys and husband always wear their tuxes and this year my oldest son will be wearing his dress whites from the Navy. I can't wait. We all love dressing for formal night including my TEENAGE sons. Have fun and wear your pretty gown!! Cindy

DH and I LOVE dressing up and getting all decked out for the formal nights. On the cruises I have been on that has always been the majority (nice gowns, beaded dresses, etc.) Even on the 4 and 5 day itineraries. I have two very nice dresses (probably considered gowns) that I am wearing on our upcoming Miracle trip on the 18th. DH doesn't wear a tux (don't own one and would rather save the money for other things besides a rental) but he dresses in his very best suits and takes it up a notch wearing a vest under his jackets too. We love having the formal photos taken and always buy several different ones to put up at home to take us back to our cruise ship memories :D

I concur with most of what's been said before, except that the people who look the most ridiculous are those who don't dress in the same league as their partners. A husband shouldn't wear a tux if his wife doesn't have a long evening dress and a wife shouldn't wear the ball gown if her husband won't wear the tux. Yet there's always some guy in a sports jacket accompanying his wife/girlfriend who's dressed to the 9s!

DH rented a tux and I wore a little black dress on our recent 4 night cruise. There were two other couples at our table. We were dressed more formally than the others but I felt just fine. We were dressed to please each other and I was darn pleased with how we looked.

Check us out in the link below if you like.

Your dresses sound lovely. Can I borrow them?

Never feel uneasy showing off your well dressed selves. My wife and I don't normally dress up, but it's quite appropriate (and requested) to dress well on formal nights (do a search and read some of the hottest debates on these boards). I don't think too many of the posters would tell you they remember how well dressed others were, but I think we all remember the clod who wears jeans and sandals to formal night. Even my 15-year-old likes wearing a suite on a cruise. Dress like a movie star and enjoy. Those moments don't happen enough for most.

Your dresses sound lovely. Can I borrow them?

lol, not a bad idea!! i know on the disney boards people have set up swaps with everything from hotel room fridges to 'pal mickey' dolls. we could set up a cruise wear swap. it would be most awesome for kids clothes!

DW and I love to dress for formal nights (as the avatar shows). Go for the long gown - DW always brings AT LEAST one of those along with a few cocktail dresses so she's prepared. I always rent the black tux/white dinner jacket combo from Carnival and we go all out on the Formal Nights no matter what everyone else is wearing. On our latest cruise on the Lengend, we went to the photo gallery to check out our 2nd Formal Night pics (me in a white dinner jacket tux, DW in a great cocktail dress - see avatar), there were a couple of ladies who found our pics first and said "wow, that's a great picture!". Of course, we bought said picture, but it also shows you that dressing "to the nines" is the way to go. We LOVE it!

We have a cruise booked for this June on the Carnival Destiny but it will be probably our last cruise on lines that pretend to have formal nights. We enjoy fine dining but pigs will fly before I put on a tuxedo to eat a good meal. Pigs will fly to h*&% before I fly formal clothes half way around the world just to eat a good meal.

I love ships so probably will have to look at an alternative.

MexicoBob

Without a doubt, DRESS UP!!! Really, how often you we have to dress up in cocktail dresses and formal gowns? The Valor in June will be my 4th cruise and each time I really enjoyed going all out. This is our honeymoon cruise so for formal night I picked a burgandy top gown with an ivory bottom with a small train. Cant wait to wear it

Archived