***LIVE*** From the Carnival Freedom

blackegg

Europebound, thanks for the review.

On your Tuscany excursion to Siena and San Gimignano, how long was the drive?

Hubby and I are planning to rent a car and drive to this area, although not going to those 2 places.

Thanks

Not sure what the tour is that you have set up but there are lots of taxis when you arrive and they were very negotiable. The town is a great place for a down day. There are a couple of beaches close and then the trip to Olympia was about an hr. There were just 2 of us and we got a taxi for 40.00. Spent about 3 hrs with him

To Everyone,

This is mainly for Fiona (summerdays). We were in Messina yesterday and the bus to Taormina that you so kindly set up for us worked out perfectly. Just wanted to let you know. We are now headed to Barcelona. I will try to post some more in the next day or two If not, I will post a detailed review when we get home.

Richard

Hi Rich. We were on the April 19th sailing and many of us were wondering if you looked at the Carnival web cam on the 19th around 4:30 p.m. to see several of us waving wildly to you (as planned). We haven't heard. We may have been a few minutes late, but stayed there for awhile. Hope you saw us. If not, we still had fun waving.

I think you are at table with Les and Joyce. Please say "Hello" to them from Marilyn and Steve.

Enjoy the remainder of your wonderful cruise, Marilyn

Europebound, thanks for the review.

On your Tuscany excursion to Siena and San Gimignano, how long was the drive?

Hubby and I are planning to rent a car and drive to this area, although not going to those 2 places.

Thanks

I'm not positive, but I would guess it was about a two hour drive through some very, very beautiful Tuscany countryside. At one point we saw a sign that said that we were only 19 kilometers from Florence. We were all surprised at that. The ride back from San G. seemed shorter. Don't know what routes our driver took, but I'm sure you will truly enjoy driving to this area. Its wonderful. Have a great time.

Our tour is with Gemma - it is 420 euros for 4 hours in a mini van.

The taxi sounds like a great deal though!

We recently had Gemma for an 8-passenger van to the ancient Olympia site. The tour--and Gemma--was terrific. She is very knowledgable and passionate about that site. Are you splitting the cost with others? I'm not sure, but for us I think it was around 57 euros per person (8 of us), plus 9 euros admission to the site and museum. It turned out that our van was larger than for 8 passengers, but we were only charged for the 8-pass van. We enjoyed it tremendously. However, if you have less people, perhaps a taxi would be cheaper. I don't know about the taxis. You will enjoy whatever you do.

We did have about 1 1/2 hours to shop and have lunch in Katatalon before boarding the ship.

There are 4 adults and 3 kids going with Gemma - we could fit more people but with the kids we would hate to have them act up and bother anyone.

I am torn whether to just have a down day or keep our reservation with her.

Hi Europebound

Thanks for the library info!!! We are going to Rome a couple days early...where did you get the Hop On/Off tickets? We want a 48 hour pass ....

Thanks

ONLY 57 more days :D :D :D

Hi Europebound

Thanks for the library info!!! We are going to Rome a couple days early...where did you get the Hop On/Off tickets? We want a 48 hour pass ....

Thanks

ONLY 57 more days :D :D :D

Hello,

We have also booked this bus. The link is:

http://www.viator.com/tours/Europe/Rome-Open-Top-Double-Decker-Bus-Hop-On-Hop-Off-Tour/d6-3523ROMOPEN

Janet

Hi, Richard & Marilynn!

Wow! I can't believe that 12N pass so quickly, and that you'd be getting off the ship tomorrow.

I'd look forward to your detailed postings when you return home!

I'd be flying to Rome on 21 May and hopefully, can read your sharing before I go. : )

Regards

Fiona

First, THANKS!! to everyone for taking the time to post and respond!!!!!!

Silly question, were there enough hangers in the cabins...???? or do we need to pack some.. we are not planning to take a garment bag.

Lynn

BP:

We took a taxi with another couple to Olympia. We had experienced a variety of ancient sites prior to this, since we had already spent a number of days in Rome. Even after Pompeii, Rome, Athens, Ephesus, Olympus was a site that we were glad we didn't miss. George the Taxi driver suggested we see the museum first. This museum offered the best access to viewing the antiquities from the buildings of any museum that we had visited. We were so glad we saw them first because we could then relate the objects we had just seen in the sites we were visiting. It made the whole experience come to life. My husband says that this was his favorite site to visit. We were able to spend several hours between the museum and the archaeological site and still get back to have plenty of time to walk through the village. On the way back to the ship, our cab driver told us about a free museum for the modern day Olympics but we decided not to do that one. It might be interesting for kids.

Meg

wrk2cruz - can't remember how many hangers were in each closet (maybe somewhere around 14 total?), but we bought a pack of 13 for about $1 at Walmart and left them in the closet when we disembarked. I know 7ish hangers each wouldn't have worked for us and soooo glad we took extra hangers, so it depends on how many clothes you're taking!

First, THANKS!! to everyone for taking the time to post and respond!!!!!!

Silly question, were there enough hangers in the cabins...???? or do we need to pack some.. we are not planning to take a garment bag.

Lynn

Hi

There were 2 separate clothes hanging areas with about 8 or so hangers which was not enough for us.

Just as your room steward for more hangers the first day. He brought us the 10 we asked for no problem. He told us that someone else had asked him for 25 more. lol

They have the white plastic ones to bring if you need more, no need to pack them and take up valuable shoe space in your luggage:eek:

Tara

Don't use your luggage space for hangers. Just ask your room steward. We asked ours as soon as our luggage got into the room which was very quick and he brought us several. A few days later we asked a steward in the hallway and watched him go to a storage area and pulled them from huge boxes, so they should not run out of hangers.

Hi Rich. We were on the April 19th sailing and many of us were wondering if you looked at the Carnival web cam on the 19th around 4:30 p.m. to see several of us waving wildly to you (as planned). We haven't heard. We may have been a few minutes late, but stayed there for awhile. Hope you saw us. If not, we still had fun waving.

I think you are at table with Les and Joyce. Please say "Hello" to them from Marilyn and Steve.

Enjoy the remainder of your wonderful cruise, Marilyn

Marilyn,

I'm so sorry that I didn't see your post while wee were on the Freedom, but yes I saw you waving. Thanks for taking the time. I didn't hear from anyone else about seeing you. We were at a table with Joyce and Les and loved being with them.

Richard

Archived