Laptop or no Laptop???

In addition to the above reasons, I like to take my music library with me. My son bought me a set of thin travel speakers that fit in my laptop case. They make a pretty good sound rather than the speaker on the laptop. When spending a few quite moments with my wife in our cabin we enjoy some music. Cheese tray, good bottle of wine, some soft music and wham and evening to remember. Also i switch out the music on my mp3 player so I have a bit of variety. I'l be taking mine with or without the internet connection.:D

I just got off the Brilliance and had debated the same question. I needed to keep in touch with my son (for me) and wanted to be able to download pictures. In the end, I bought another memory card and left my laptop home. I am very happy I did! Flying just keeps getting more complicated and it would have just been one more hassle at the airport. I had no problems at all using the ship's computers. I bought the 60 min package and ended up with 5 min left over. Many people complained about the speed, or lack of, but it didn't really bother me.

I always travel with my laptop. While I need it for work and have an aircard it is invaluable if stuck in an airport.

I also know how my outlook works and getting onto my company's web site requires java and some other software that may not be on the public computers.

I also find it valuable to copy digital pictures to the lap top and then I can view them on the laptops screen. I also back up the pictures to an IPOD. This way I have two copies. While memory cards are cheap you still would need a laptop if you wanted to make a copy of one card to a second card. I stress this since recently I had a point and shoot camera along with spare battery pilfered from my checked luggage (they left the case) and I had not backed up the photos. This can not happen if I had backed them up.

Unfortunately, my camera won't use anything larger than a 128 MB card and they are difficult and more expensive to buy.

I like having my laptop to transfer pictures and also to start my write up about my cruise if I have time.

I'm with you Ann. I also like to write my emails offline and then upload them later. That way it saves minutes.

I'll bring alwyas my iBook with me when I go on a cruise.Regards

Do you ever have problems with a Mac? I have a G4 Powerbook and I am a little worried if I will be able to connect. Sounds like you are having NO problems though in spite of RCI's line that they are NOT Mac compatible! :)

Just my two cents:

I am a travelling business professional so I always carry my laptop on every overnight trip I take. Some (including my dear GF) call this obsessive-compulsive but I find that the value of having the information at my fingertips is just too convenient.

On our last cruise, I used the computer for several things.

1. Dowloading pictures--yes, some have said you can have multiple memory cards and, yes, I do always carry extras. But, I like to upload photos to Snapfish for my family to see and I like to be able to "folderize" my photos based on travel date or activities.

2. Directions/Local info--this comes in handy for making restaurant reservations or tour selections--even directions!

3. Entertainment--I like to watch my own movies on the plane or do work stuff during travel "down time." The computer makes this possible.

Then again, I see plenty of people who wouldn't think of touching a computer during their vacation. To each his own--enjoy!!!

2. Directions/Local info--this comes in handy for making restaurant reservations or tour selections--even directions!

I am with you 100% on this. In cities we are visiting, nothing is more useful than a quick google of the area for restaurants, hotels, sights...and of course maps!

Archived