Laptop or no Laptop???

We will be on the Mariner this summer -- in a JS. I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to bring a laptop or not. For those of you who have done so, was it worth it? What are the pros and cons?

I know I can always use the public computers, but I "should" check in with work a couple times during the week. Are there hook-ups in the cabins? If not, how easy is it to access the wireless?

We will be on the Mariner this summer -- in a JS. I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to bring a laptop or not. For those of you who have done so, was it worth it? What are the pros and cons?

I know I can always use the public computers, but I "should" check in with work a couple times during the week. Are there hook-ups in the cabins? If not, how easy is it to access the wireless?

I'm going back on forth on this also. The only reason I really want to bring it is to be able to download my pictures from my digital camera each day because I know I am going to fill up that memory card! :D

I'm going back on forth on this also. The only reason I really want to bring it is to be able to download my pictures from my digital camera each day because I know I am going to fill up that memory card! :D

If memory cards are the only reason to consider bringing the laptop. Go get more! Where I live I can get 1gb cards for $9.99 and 2gb for 15.99. I didn't fill up a 512mb card on our first cruise.

for those of you considering buying a new laptop and possibly traveling with it, buy the accidental damage coverage. I normally hate additional warranties, but this one is worth it. I broke the screen on a 3 month old $600 laptop and was quoted $550 to replace it.

There are many spots on the ship where the wireless will work. However, you still have to pay for it! If you are going to spend hours and hours doing work on your laptop (it sucks to be you) you might as well bring it and buy the wireless package. If you are going to just "check in with work a couple times" then just use the internet café on board. Why lug the laptop all over. I brought 2 1GB cards for my camera that will hold about 750 photos each. I took 450 pictures.

I have been debating this one also...have one of the blasted things so thought I might as well use it! However, it's really not worth the hassle...can't pack it in your checked baggage so you have to lug it with you everywhere except on the ship (airport...pre and post cruise). I bought the $25 package on FOS and was able to play on the computers pretty much to my hearts content. The comments about extra cards for digital cameras are good as well...I take LOTS of photos and will make sure I have an extra card just in case. They sell them on the ship if it get's to be a crisis. I say leave the laptop at home and just have a fantastic trip...ditto the cell phone...some peace and quite, undisturbed, is what it's all about. Bon voyage!

If memory cards are the only reason to consider bringing the laptop. Go get more! Where I live I can get 1gb cards for $9.99 and 2gb for 15.99. I didn't fill up a 512mb card on our first cruise.

for those of you considering buying a new laptop and possibly traveling with it, buy the accidental damage coverage. I normally hate additional warranties, but this one is worth it. I broke the screen on a 3 month old $600 laptop and was quoted $550 to replace it.

Unfortunately, my camera won't use anything larger than a 128 MB card and they are difficult and more expensive to buy.

I like having my laptop to transfer pictures and also to start my write up about my cruise if I have time.

I am brining my laptop on my cruise - for the pictures (as a back-up to the cards because they do malfunction and you do lose pictures - happened to my brother on his honeymoon in Hawaii :( ) and for my hard drive video camera which needs an open 30 gigs to dump each night. Also - its more convient for me to have my own computer when I MUST check in at work, than using someone else's. Its just your preference. You can purchase an in-room internet connection, but it is a modem. I believe its about $10 per day, with unlimited minutes. As someone else mentioned, you can also do the wireless thing if your laptop has a card. You can also rent a card from RCI. Purchasing minutes on a card, $50=100 minutes, etc. is the way I am going to go.

I just got back on Sunday from the mariner. Also in a js. We took two (!!) laptops, one for dh and one for ds. We got the cybercabin, unlimited dial-up access, for $99 for the week. We connected at 46.6, so the speed was acceptable. There are only 15 cybercabins available, so if you can't get to the ship early enough to pick one up, it wouldn't be worth it.

Have fun - the mariner is my favorite ship.

Okay -- just want to clear up a couple things....the in-cabin connection is a modem which will be a similar connection to the internet cafe??? Or will it be slower?

The laptop I may bring is from work so it is equipped with a wireless card, etc. I'm just not sure I want to lug it throught the airport, onto the cruise ship, lock it up each time I leave the cabin, etc.

I don't mind paying for the service I get....I'm just trying to figure out if I want to have access in the cabin or use the internet cafe. I doubt I would walk around the ship with the laptop to get to a wireless spot.

DH bought me two 2GB memory cards for my digital camera....I have tons memory.

We took my laptop because of the entertainment factor involved with traveling with my teenaged niece and nephews. In the airport, on the flight, in the car, during down time on the ship, etc. etc., the kids can play games, watch movies...a world of entertainment for them and peace and quiet for me.

Having said that, you are running the risk of getting it damaged anytime you travel with one. In this case, combined with the kid factor, you are running a big risk..

If it's a work-related laptop (like mine is), be sure and back up everything prior to leaving home...because if something happens to it during the trip, you're going to be inconvenienced in a major way. I have just about decided that I'm not going to take mine on trips anymore just because of this risk factor...the entertainment value just doesn't outweigh the risk.

The cybercabin requires a modem, hooks up to the phone line in the cabin. I found in the past that the wifi is a hit or miss, depending on the port, location, etc. I thought the wifi connection was incredibly slow, considering I was paying for every minute.

Okay -- just want to clear up a couple things....the in-cabin connection is a modem which will be a similar connection to the internet cafe??? Or will it be slower?

The laptop I may bring is from work so it is equipped with a wireless card, etc. I'm just not sure I want to lug it throught the airport, onto the cruise ship, lock it up each time I leave the cabin, etc.

I don't mind paying for the service I get....I'm just trying to figure out if I want to have access in the cabin or use the internet cafe. I doubt I would walk around the ship with the laptop to get to a wireless spot.

DH bought me two 2GB memory cards for my digital camera....I have tons memory.

From what I've been told the in-room dial-up is slower. The other computers (or your wireless laptop) are not dial-up.

Actually, I found the wireless slower - but that was 2 years ago, so maybe they have made improvements. When we were in a mountainous port (labadee, jamaica) it seemed to take FOREVER to connect. You would see the minutes and $$$ being eaten up. You never knew if you were going to be able to connect or not.

The dial-up was not speedy, but consistent at 46.6. Some web pages were slow to load, but I could get on to the internet at any time.

I'll bring alwyas my iBook with me when I go on a cruise.

Every evening I download the photos from my camera to the laptop (I take lot's of photos during my cruises).

When you take your laptop with you you don't have to worry of the memorycard, do you have enough of cards etc, with the laptop with you just take much photos as you wish with the best resolution.

Another great thing to bring the laptop is that some hotels have free wi-fi. I did use the free wi-fi a lot last year in the Holiday Inn Marina Park Hotel in Miami.

And then you can use it for watching movies in the hotel, at the airport...

Just my thoughts...

Regards

Here's the new, super-wham-a-dyne RCL FAQ page for computer access, pretty much explains everything you need to know about it. Click here. I always take my laptop with me, my wife brings hers. We use them for in-flight entertainment, geeking at the airport while waiting on flights, backing up pictures, checking email and when I was in school, homework. FWIW, it's much cheaper to log on, download email, log off, read and write replies, then log on and send email, log back off and go back to your stateroom. Cyber cabin is 46.6 Kbaud, and Wi-Fi is much faster than that, although not nearly as fast as broadband at home. You can get faster service by logging on early in the morning or late at night, since there are fewer people using the resource, you get more for the same money. Happy computing!

I'm bringing my laptop with me for several reasons:

1 - dumping my pictures - I've had camera issues in the past because of the heat and I don't want to pay RCCL to dump my pictures on a CD again

2 - when I'm writing to my family telling them I'm staying on the ship indefinitely, I can do it offline :D

3 - I do scrapbooking so when I'm sitting out on my balcony listening to the ocean, I can write about my day

4 - when they are dragging me off the ship kicking and screaming I'll have something to hit security with :D

I'm VERY careful with my laptop, bordering on OCD, so it will be packaged very well in its bag. I'll backup everything and it's still covered under the accidental insurance for another year. Maybe I'll regret it but I think for me, the pros outweigh the cons.

Unfortunately, the memory cards for my camera aren't as cheap as yours. I like to download my pictures to the computer so I have a second copy of them in case something happens to my camera (I'm probably a little anal, but oh well).

Since we aren't flying, it's not that big of a deal to bring the laptop if I decide to.

Unfortunately, the memory cards for my camera aren't as cheap as yours. I like to download my pictures to the computer so I have a second copy of them in case something happens to my camera (I'm probably a little anal, but oh well).

Since we aren't flying, it's not that big of a deal to bring the laptop if I decide to.

I agree...just saw a 2 gig SD memory card in Best Buy last night for $79.99...you can get them on sale for half that though. Still isn't $15.99...

Unfortunately, my camera won't use anything larger than a 128 MB card and they are difficult and more expensive to buy.

I like having my laptop to transfer pictures and also to start my write up about my cruise if I have time.

I see your in Ohio. Time to get a new camera! I bought my daughter a HP camera for $99. The price I mentioned on more current memory cards was from Microcenter here in Columbus. I do still have a digital camera that I love because of its excellent optics (14X OPTICAL zoom) and it saves pictures to 1.4mb floppies :) Just take a suit case full of floppies :)

I agree...just saw a 2 gig SD memory card in Best Buy last night for $79.99...you can get them on sale for half that though. Still isn't $15.99...

You can get them for about $15.99 on-line. I got a 2gb SD with usb card reader for something like $18.00 plus a $6.00 rebate last month. I didn't really need it (I already have a 2gb card in my camera) but for $12 I couldn't pass it up.

So on my next cruise I am bringing (2) 2gb memory cards AND my laptop. I don’t think I’ll even come close to using all that memory but I still want to back-up my pictures on a daily basis. I also like looking at them on a full-size screen.

I don’t plan on getting on-line. One of my favorite parts of a vacation is being incommunicado.

Ken

I took my laptop when we cruised in December. Sometimes it was a pain because it was one more thing to carry around when the rooms werent ready. I however will bring it again next time. I liked taking the time at night to upload to my pc and being able to sort them right there.

I see your in Ohio. Time to get a new camera! I bought my daughter a HP camera for $99. The price I mentioned on more current memory cards was from Microcenter here in Columbus. I do still have a digital camera that I love because of its excellent optics (14X OPTICAL zoom) and it saves pictures to 1.4mb floppies :) Just take a suit case full of floppies :)

You must be just down the road. In the last year I have gotten each of my kids a new digital camera under $100 each (disposables were costing us a fortune for development) but I really love the ease and the quality of the pictures of mine. I haven't found another one I like as much as mine. Some day I will upgrade, but not yet. :) I have tried both of my kids cameras and my dad's and I don't like any of them. They include a Nikon, an HP and an Argus. Of the 3, I like the Argus (never heard of before I bought it) the best.

1 part of the OP's question has not been answered yet (yes I am guilty of pulling us off topic).

How does the WIFI speed compare to the Internet Cafe speed -not considering the issue of disconnecting while composing emails, etc. with the WIFI.

Thanks.

On the memory card question again.

If you have an iPod, Apple sells an adapter that connects your camera to your iPod and downloads them all. Depending on your iPod you should have plenty of room. I think the adapter is 29$.

I'm bringing this with us for our TransAtlantic in April.

I'm also bringing a portable dvd player. But forcing myself to use other smaller less expensive devices I can get away with not bringing the laptop.

Your Milage may vary, but unless you write a lot, there are other alternatives to bringing a laptop. Plus I try to control my spending and paying for wifi or dial up is absolutely forbidden. On the other hand, as an IT geek, I work with computer daily I want an opportunity to de-computer my life. Everything can wait and the office can't reach me.

Wifi is faster than the cybercabin connection, but isn't that much faster than the ship's Internet cafe computers. It's also very spotty IME. Also, unless one is on a Freedom class ship, you will either need to be in a cabin near a hot spot or leave your cabin to fnd one.

We bring the laptop so DH can check in at work and I can keep my cruise diary plus do some photo editing as I go. Otherwise I'm likely to end up with 300 pictures and no time or inclination to go through them once I'm at home!:eek: I honestly don't find it to be that much of a burden.

Archived