New Orleans Is Coming Back

jgmpuma

Of course, those of us who have actually been there know this to be true. It's a shame that the Carnival "powers that be" are too timid to be a major part of the re-birth. The door is open and opportunity is knocking for a cruise line to make a year-round seven-day cruise commitment.

Of course, those of us who have actually been there know this to be true. It's a shame that the Carnival "powers that be" are too timid to be a major part of the re-birth. The door is open and opportunity is knocking for a cruise line to make a year-round seven-day cruise commitment.

Carnival is a major part of that "re-birth" as the ONLY cruise line to sail out of there full time. Actually a 4/5/5 schedule was better for New Orleans than a 7 day, because it brings in fresh tourist twice a week instead of once a week.

The bottom line is that WE (the cruisers) did not book up the Triumph-New Orleans cruises...shame on us. If we wanted a SECOND Carnival ship there, we should have put our money where our 'whining" was.

Carnival is a major part of that "re-birth" as the ONLY cruise line to sail out of there full time. Actually a 4/5/5 schedule was better for New Orleans than a 7 day, because it brings in fresh tourist twice a week instead of once a week.

Pre-K we had both and they were money makers for the City and Carnival.

That is my point. I am one of the Carnival "cheerleaders" BTW. I am just irked that bookings might have been down because of the perceived safety concerns. I blame it all on sensationalist journalism. Where are the stories about all the tourists who were not robbed/killed/mugged during our recent Mardi Gras celebrations where, as mentioned in the article, there was an influx of upwards to 800,000 visitors?

The bottom line is that WE (the cruisers) did not book up the Triumph-New Orleans cruises...shame on us. If we wanted a SECOND Carnival ship there, we should have put our money where our 'whining" was./quote]

We did, but obviously not enough.

New Orleans is about 2 hours further to drive than Galveston, so I would be willing to drive to either and was hoping for more choices out of New Orleans. I am dissapointed as well.

That being said, everything else being equal, Galveston you can get a hotel for $70/night which includes a week's parking. New Orleans rates were showing $125/night for a hotel which included the week's parking and no shuttle to the port.

New Orleans the new terminal parking rates I heard were $14 a day. I can park in Galveston for $35 for a 5 day, $50 for a day at EZCruise.

Galveston is losing all its ships this fall except for Carnival as well. Folks who fly in say too expensive to shuttle to Galveston. Those who drive say what a bargain. No easy answers to keeping everyone happy? :(

Im sure going to miss so many choices in New Orleans and Texas and dissapointed in the lack of choices.

The bottom line is that WE (the cruisers) did not book up the Triumph-New Orleans cruises...shame on us. If we wanted a SECOND Carnival ship there, we should have put our money where our 'whining" was.

I did my part! Now I'm on the Conquest out of boring ole Galveston. I was born and raised in New Orleans and was so excited to cruise out of there again.

Totally agree that Carnivals decision was totally based on dollars and cents. Why move a ship from one port where it is having great success with bookings to another where the bookings were lack luster. Consumers vote with their pocket books and clearly they must of voted down a second ship in New Orleans.

No whining here. Over 100 of us just got off Fantasy in January & about 200 of us would have gladly sailed out of Nola in Oct if Conquest had been moved back. Some of us were in the planning stage about to book Triumph when the announcement was made about delaying the relocation.

Even though Nola is twice as far for me.......I prefer cruising out of Nola anyday before Galveston.

For those that are scared to return to New Orleans....you don't know what you are missing. The City is alive & improving daily. If you care to read the news there....it is NOT the tourists that are being murdered.......it's the drug dealers & criminals killing each other. I have made several trips back since Katrina & have never felt safer in the French Quarter.

Galveston is losing all its ships this fall except for Carnival as well. Folks who fly in say too expensive to shuttle to Galveston. Those who drive say what a bargain. No easy answers to keeping everyone happy? :(

Houston is building a new cruise terminal that may make the commute from the airports to the cruise ships easier.

I'm kind of excited to see how that plays out, i.e. if we get some different ships, itineraries, etc.

Say what you will about Galveston but the Conquest has been immensely popular since they moved her here from New Orleans.

Houston is building a new cruise terminal that may make the commute from the airports to the cruise ships easier.

I'm kind of excited to see how that plays out, i.e. if we get some different ships, itineraries, etc.

Say what you will about Galveston but the Conquest has been immensely popular since they moved her here from New Orleans.

I would have rathered sailed out of NOLA. We were planning on booking the Triumph if we enjoyed our cruise in May...but now we'll have to go somewhere else... florida or texas i guess until they get a 7 day ship here

I said that about the "whining" because I am one of the ones that did the whining when I should have been booking my cruise. We sailed out of New Orleans in December and are headed out again next week. We are booked on the Victory for Sept. I was waiting to nail down the dates on a Triumph out of New Orleans. (We could not decide if we wanted to squeeze it in on Sept 2 before the Victory cruise or wait until our oldest son could go after Christmas ~~ or BOTH). While I am trying to make up my silly mind...the whole ship gets cancelled.

I have read so many posts from people who were planning to book...that it made me feel "guilty" that if we had all DONE IT instead of talked about it perhaps the outcome would be different.

Carnival...build it and we will come....WE PROMISE!!!!

LHP, I understood what you were trying to get across. We were in the same "boat" as it were. Waiting to decide on what dates would fit everyone's schedule. If/when we do get a (Carnival) seven-day cruise ship you can bet we will be on it !:D

Wasn't Carnival already having a problem with the bridge in NOLA being too low even before Katrina? I remember there was a big controversy between NOLA and Carnival about the ship having trouble clearing the bridge. NOLA was not being very cooperative at that time. Wonder what happened?

I would prefer more choices in NOLA since I have a house there and family there as well. But where I live now, I am equally close to Houston or NOLA... so I'm hoping to take more cruises in the future from either one. DH has been deathly afriad of the viruses and this cruise to Hawaii is our first.

Before Katrina and before the house, I used to get Priceline, 4 star (or whatever their highest is) in Metairie at the Doubletree or the Wyndham (both have since been sold) for 45.00 a night. I haven't tried Priceline since Katrina. If it works, you couldn't go wrong trying for the highest star hotel and check off only one area-- downtown CBD. Just a suggestion... would love to know if anyone has tried priceline for NOLA... just out of curiosity.

Archived