***LIVE*** FROM THE GOLDEN PRINCESS with Arlene & Tony

arlenemilt

I know Arlene did not go with Tony for lunch as he was having Baaaa....

Let's hope she is just having such a great time that posting is not on the agenda. I think a group went together so I am sure everyone is fine.:o We just want to know about the day.

from sunny Punta Arenas where the temp is currently in the mid 40's; calm water and no wind. Please, please, powers that be, keep it this way. We've heard that this area gets so windy you sometimes need to "hang on" just to stay upright. The four of us (Milt, Fran, Len and myself) will tender at approx. 9:15 and check out the town. Perhaps we'll pick up a tour at the pier; playing it by ear. We are so happy to see clear weather and hopefully Bill and Vicky (easykruz) will be able to complete their Antarctica excursion.

BTW, Bill says he can make towel elephants, but I didn't find one in my cabin last night. :mad: You owe me, Bill! :)

We had another special dish prepared for our table last night; yummy pasta dish. Angel hair pasta folded into a wrap of grilled eggplant and topped off with marinara and layer of thick cheese. Also special dessert; don't know what because I don't eat that stuff. Of the ten of us, 8 are staying on all the way to San Fran and we definitely intend to keep our wonderful wait staff all the way.

We did not attend any show; don't care for jugglers or harpists. I did buy myself a small piece of jewelry in one of the shops. After all, Milt had a successful shopping day, so I took my turn too. :D

Just jabbering away now so need to end it. Nothing to report until post port. Bye for now.

Arlene

Arlene, we had that same pasta dish on the Antarctic cruise. Vincinzo had it made for us and then gave the ladies at the table the recipe. I've made it once since my return home. It is yummy. I don't remember if you said you were in traditional dinning or anytime. Which dinning room and table do you have?

Arlene, we had that same pasta dish on the Antarctic cruise. Vincinzo had it made for us and then gave the ladies at the table the recipe. I've made it once since my return home. It is yummy. I don't remember if you said you were in traditional dinning or anytime. Which dinning room and table do you have?

Stacey, Dare I ask you post the recipe? It does indeed sound yummy!

Tony, The recipe for the strawberry liquor please?

I am still hibernating and can't think of anything but food and drink. Love that Limoncello!

Well then, you're all set! One thing I would advise is to keep an eye on the Princess Cruise Personalizer after final payment is made. When you are allowed to book your shore excursions, do so. They sell out fast and if you wait until you're onboard, you'll probably be disappointed. I esearched the excursions from the past year's cruise and had a good idea what I wanted before my cruise options were offered. It made it very easy to choose my bookings when I finally could.
Kathleen is correct: by the time you board, most of the tours (and all of the most popular ones) are sold out. There are no "extra" tours added, as is the case on many cruises when they feel they can fill another bus or boat, since the ports have a limited capacity. Many people were disappointed on our recent Golden cruise but if there are no busses, there are no busses.

Since we have no "live from posts" maybe the internet connection is down.

Otherwise can someone on the ship tell us about the day, tours, food, weather, good times?

It's dinner time, that is why we haven't heard yet!;)

Bill(Waiting with the rest of you)

golden_bridge.jpg

Milt's a doctor and knows better, but sometimes the uric acid gets too high all by itself. I don't know what your MIL eats, but she needs to not OD on shellfish, beans, peanuts, asparagus and alcohol; all in moderation, but not at the same time. A buildup of high purine foods triggers a gouty attack. Beer is a killer.

Arlene (the almost doctor :D without a license)

Arlene, no MIL does NOT eat shellfish, beans, asparagus, beans, alcohol.... She jsut doesn't know what's good;) she overdoes the sweets and eats lots of fried chicken- take out diner food. Refuses to eat red meats- says that causes the problem, then switches and says no, it's tomatoes.... OK and where do we get tomatoes in winter in MN?! Little red rubber balls more like it- which she doesn't eat. So, it was just one of those questions I just had to ask you- Dr Arlene/or Dr. Milt... just wanting to be the nice daughter-in-law- I'm generally in the dog house sice I take her son on those God awful ships! (MIL is AFRAID of the water) And now I've lured her daughter onto ships too... evil aren't I? I tell her she has 10 other children that aren't interested in traveling with me!:D Thanks for the in put! Gabrielle

Kathleen is correct: by the time you board, most of the tours (and all of the most popular ones) are sold out.

Originally Princess used a ship that held 1200 passengers. Then 1980. Now, with the Golden and Star, 2600.

Over twice as many passengers, but not necessarily twice as many tour positions available.

Follow Kathleen's advice and book what you want as early as you are allowed to in order to avoid disappointment.

Hi, Donna. I've been following right along! Glad you and everyone are having such a great cruise with wonderful weather.

What happened with the Bluff Cove tour being cancelled? That was a Princess tour, wasn't it? I wondered if you were the ones who didn't make dinner.:eek: Guess that means next year I need to bring some throw-away shoes for the penguin tours!!

Keep on having fun, and thanks for sharing it with us all!

Becky

There had been lots of rain the previous day or two in the Falklands/Malvinas (trying to be politically neutral here) and the "road" over the farmland to get to the cove was very muddy. So muddy that the first tour out got bogged down and was very late getting back, so the second tour was late getting started and the dominos began to fall. End of the story was that the final tour of the day (clever me, decided to do the last one on the theory that the penguins who were out feeding during the day would be returning to the colony...) anyway - it was cancelled as it was impossible to get us out there and back and make the tender. As it was, the next to the last tour has some spaces available, we were able to go, slogged around the colony with Tina and Ken, got major mud and unmentionable goo all over everything, and had a wonderfully good time, including a wild and wooly ride back to the tender pier in our assorted 4 wheel vehicles. Drivers were all either family or friends of the farmer who owns the property where the penguins have their rookery, and are recruited to help out. Was a wonderful excursion, but they did have to hold the ship for us to get back.

Today we had amazingly sunny, reasonably warm, very calm weather in Punta Arenas, did a nice private tour (half day of the highlights of the city,) stopped off at a grocery for some Chilean wine (very good prices!) and back for a relaxing afternoon on board.

Usual suspects at dinner minus Bill and Vickie and 68 others who were on the excursion to Antartica. I'm pretty sure they must have landed, as they hadn't gotten back for dinner, and the captain announced we were waiting on the return of that excursion. Usual wonderful and special treatment for our CC table of folks, and I'm going to have to shake my mild cold and get up to the gym or all these 'special' extras are going to have a very negative impact!

Tonight they are doing Caliente for our big stage show - Arlene assures me I must have seen it, but I don't remember it so will go have a look.

Captain announced that we are supposed to have 35+knot winds in the AM so we'll all be hanging on to the rails and taking our dramamine and ginger.

Will post as we have a chance.

Thanks, Donna. I knew there had to be a good story behind that tour being cancelled. Glad y'all were able to go. Sounds like it was worth the stress of getting there!

Thanks to everyone for the advice to books tours early. I will definitely heed it!

I know we're all eager to get Bill's report on the Antartica excursion. What a thrill that must be.

Hope you all have a good day tomorrow with tolerable seas and winds.

Becky

Stacey, Dare I ask you post the recipe? It does indeed sound yummy!

Tony, The recipe for the strawberry liquor please?

I am still hibernating and can't think of anything but food and drink. Love that Limoncello!

Absolutely. . .I'm more than happy to share it with you. Keep in mind they don't give any measurements so I had to convert it.

I am going to give you the recipe as they gave it to me (with all the marvelous misspellings) and then my converted recipe.

LUCULUS PASTA

Ingredens:

Eggplants

Garlic

Tomato Sauce

Olive Oil

Angel Hair Pasta

Mozzarella Cheese cut in to rectangles 1cm

Method:

Peel the eggplants and cut into slices abaut 2cm thick

Gill on both dides till partally cooked

Prepare Marinara sauce by saute’ garlic in olive oil till golden brown, and chopped fresch tomato as well as canned.

Cook by simmering sauce for approx 20/30 minutes

Allow to Cool

Take same of cooked tomato and mix the cooked angel hair pasta

Take one Lasagna tray coat surface with a thin layer of tomato sauce

Place one eggplant slice on the tray, on the edge of eggplant slice place some cooked angel hair pasta and block of mozzarella cheese.

Roll the eggplant slice, covering all the pasta

Carry one rolling the eggplant slice till the tray is full with the eggplant rolls

Coast the rolls with more of tomate souce, sprinkle parmesan cheese over, place under a hot gill and heat till the mozzarella starts melt

Here’s my converted recipe

LUCULLUS PASTA (Note: Lucullus was a Roman General and Epicure, although it may also be the name of Vincinzo’s mother;) )

Ingredients:

3 or 4 eggplants peeled and cut lengthwise into ½ to ¾ inch slices

½ lb Angel Hair Pasta

1 lb or more Mozzarella Cheese cut into rectangles about ½ inch wide, 1/3 inch thick and about as long at the slices of eggplant slices are wide.

About 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese or to taste

Marinara Sauce (see recipe below)

Method:

1. Prepare the Marinara Sauce and allow to cool

2. Cook the Angle Hair Pasta

3. Add some of the Marinara Sauce to the Pasta, just enough to coat

4. Grill the eggplant on both sides until partially cooked (about 2 to 3 minutes on each side)

5. Coat the bottom of a nonreactive baking dish with a thin layer of Marinara Sauce

6. Place some cooked pasta and a piece of Mozzarella on the edge of each piece of eggplant and roll the eggplant covering all of the pasta

7. Place the eggplant rolls in the baking dish, seam side down, and pour enough Marinara Sauce over them to coat well

8. Sprinkle with a layer Parmesan Cheese

9. Place under broiler and heat until Parmesan is golden brown and Mozzarella starts to melt.

Serve immediately with salad and crusty bread.

Marinara Sauce

Makes about 7 cups

Ingredients

2 twenty-eight ounce cans Italian plum tomatoes with basil (preferable those labeled 'San Marzano')

1/4 cup fine-quality olive oil

2 ounces fatback or salt pork (optional)

3 tablespoons minced onion

2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced

Salt and pepper to taste

6 leaves fresh basil, torn (optional)

Pinch dried oregano

Procedure

1. Remove tomatoes from the can,, reserving the juice in which they are packed. Using your hands, crush the tomatoes, gently remove and discard the hard core from the stem end, and remove and discard any skin and tough membrane. Set aside.

2. Put oil in a large, nonreactive saucepan over medium-low heat. If using fatback, cut it into small pieces and add to the pan. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until all fat has been rendered. Remove and discard fatback.

3. Then add onion. Sauté for 3 minutes or until translucent and just beginning to brown. Stir in garlic and sauté for 30 seconds or until just softened (see Note). Stir in tomatoes, reserved juice, and salt. Raise heat, and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to a very low simmer and cook for about 1 hour or until flavors have combined and sauce is slightly thickened. (If you prefer a thicker sauce, cook for an additional 15 minutes.

4. Stir in basil, oregano, and pepper, and cook for an additional minute. Remove from heat and serve.

Note: Take care when adding garlic to hot oil, as it will burn and turn bitter very quickly. If this happens, discard oil and vegetables and start again. We never have sauce left over; however, if you do store it, tightly covered and refrigerated, for a day or two or freeze for up to 3 months.

This makes me ill, but I'll be more ill if this thread disappears or gets locked. There is so much of interest here, not to mention a huge education for future South America cruisers. Hopefully Bill and Donna and the others will keep it going until all is well again . . .

Becky:(

"This makes me ill, but I'll be more ill if this thread disappears or gets locked. There is so much of interest here, not to mention a huge education for future South America cruisers. Hopefully Bill and Donna and the others will keep it going until all is well again . . .

Becky"

Anything is possible!:(

My Best to you all!:)

Bill

Thanks Pam and Kiwi Kruzer for the great pics. Sat. DH and I leave for our cruise. I won't be able to read and post here, because I'm far, far away from elite status and I don't want to run up our bill with internet fees. I'll have to catch up when I get back.

I really appreciate your posts and the time you take out of your day to share your cruise with us.

I am praying for good weather for you on your Antartica trip.

We started rocking and rolling just after 6am - before 6 my cabin was still and by 6:15 things were beginning to roll around on the desk. The ship is beginning to sound like a sick elephant. There goes my walk around the deck this morning and think I will skip the gym till later. But the internet seems to be faster.

the recent posting from host caroline and absence of postings from the ship all seem a little unusual

anyone know what if anything has happened??

jim

GM Jim,:)

Please see Host Caroline's Post # 443 above.

Let's just say, things will not be the same:(

But, we should be hearing from someone onboard soon;)

jotBill

Archived