Rogue Wave or pics of ship listing?

That is insane! I cant believe the captain and officers could do that just leave all those people on board like that.

......what was even more insane......was his explaination that.......when he gave the order to abandon ship.......that it included everyone including himself and his crew......:confused:

......what was even more insane......was his explaination that.......when he gave the order to abandon ship.......that it included everyone including himself and his crew......:confused:

I hope he got into a huge amount of trouble! Does anyone know what happened to him? Jail time???

I hope he got into a huge amount of trouble! Does anyone know what happened to him? Jail time???

Nothing happened to the captain. He cannot captain a cruise ship again. However, last I heard, he was the captain of a ferry boat.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, WOW I had better really listen up when they are doing the safety drill right?? My first cruise :eek: I cant help but want to see more of these pics for some strange reason, dont know what is wrong with me, here??:rolleyes:

Danielle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have to say that out of everything I have seen nothing made me not want to cruise again (even the one where the captain and some crew abandoned ship without passengers) BUT when I watched that video of the Voyager and heard that child crying mama, Oh my heart... I would NEVER even step foot on a raft in a kiddy pool if that were me on that ship.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to be digging up such an old thread, but I just recently found these videos of the Crown Princess when she listed.

Taken from the Security cameras onboard...

Longest. Just over a minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmpcwWo63sY

This looks just like the Poseidon Adventure. Watch the guy who flips over the blackjack table.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgiumz3RRhI

View of the port side (I think). People getting piled with furniture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPJP6OrcJ9A

More falling chairs and people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc9EL_O1B7s

Everything comes toward the camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRCxZ_p5sY4

Sea Princess in heavy seas. Would've hated to have been walking when it hit the big one...

The Saga Rose gets hit by a huge wave. I heard it did a good amount of damage.

Cruise ships are designed for "cruising" and as such have limitations as to the conditions they can endure. "Liners" are much more robust but there are fewer of them these days. Take all safety drills very seriously.

Having been in some heavy seas on much smaller vessels, I can say the experience is not pleasant.

Cruise ships are designed for "cruising" and as such have limitations as to the conditions they can endure. "Liners" are much more robust but there are fewer of them these days. Take all safety drills very seriously.

Having been in some heavy seas on much smaller vessels, I can say the experience is not pleasant.

Do I understand your comment as saying that modern "cruise ships" are just floating hotels safe only in placid warters and are inherently riskier to sail on than true "ocean liners" of the past that were designed to navigate heavy seas?

That would be grossly irresponsible of the cruise industry if true. I would imagine that the people at SOLAS might be interested in that theory. Exposing millions of people to the dangers of sub-standard vessels seems like it might be a bigger issue that over-indulgent passengers falling over the railing.

Dave

• 1 year later...
ship_20list.jpg

021569.1-lg.jpg

:eek: did it right itself or sink?

I was just reading about a NCL ship that listed 30 degrees and all the liquor bottles fell out and crashed on the floor of the shop as well as all'

the glasses in the bar.

The worst I was ever on was the carnival triumph where the dining room is on a bottom floor and when we looked out the window we realized we were kind of floating crooked or the dining room must have been built at a slant :eek: cause the ocean was slanting about 35 degrees onthe window:rolleyes:

but that creaking and groaning (the ship, not us) voyage is another story....:eek:

Awesome pictures!! I somehow followed a thread and ended up on Youtube watching a ton of videos of ships out in horrible conditions - in cyclones, hurricanes, rogue waves, etc. I'm leaving on CCL cruise in two weeks and will just say alittle prayer that I never see or experience anything like that! My boyfriend was in the Navy (many years ago) and he said it could be fun! (yea, right).

Linda

Archived