First time Costa cruiser

Mr. Mouse

I've learned much reading questions and answers from all of you.

1) However, can we wear shorts or beach attire in main restaurant for breakfast and lunch on the Mediterranea?

2) Did the dinner buffet have enough variety and selections or should we plan to eat in the dining room on some evenings?

3) Does the ship usually have a Caribbean band for "Electric Slide" or is the music more sophisticated?

4) Can we get early disembarkation if we have large luggage or only if we have carry-on sizes?

5) Is there a Captain's "welcome-aboard" reception with drinks? If so, do they serve wine or mixed drinks?

I've been on over 20 cruises with other lines, but this first Costa cruise has me wondering if we made correct decision for fun.

1) However, can we wear shorts or beach attire in main restaurant for breakfast and lunch on the Mediterranea? Shorts with appropriate tops (no tank tops) at breakfast and lunch; no swimsuit coverups. The buffet is more suited to a quick lunch.

2) Did the dinner buffet have enough variety and selections or should we plan to eat in the dining room on some evenings? Yes, the buffet has plenty of options, but there are specialty nights in the DR that you should enjoy, especially as you are first time cruisers.

3) Does the ship usually have a Caribbean band for "Electric Slide" or is the music more sophisticated? Can you say "limbo" anyone? I am assuming you are in the Caribbean, so you will plenty of reggae type music.

4) Can we get early disembarkation if we have large luggage or only if we have carry-on sizes? You have to be able to transport all of your luggage regardless of size through the ship, out through the stairs, customs, etc at Port Everglades and EVERYONE in your party must have a valid US (ONLY US) passport. Unless you truly have to be off at 7 am; you can de-board at 8am with less hassle.

5) Is there a Captain's "welcome-aboard" reception with drinks? If so, do they serve wine or mixed drinks? The Captain's reception is for repeat cruisers on most sailings.

I've been on over 20 cruises with other lines, but this first Costa cruise has me wondering if we made correct decision for fun. Depends on what kind of fun you want to have!

Just got off the Mediterranea and YES they have a Captain's Welcome Aboard Party for all cruisers. It was the first formal night before dinner. They served whiskey sours, punch, and champagne. The Past Cruiser's Party was a separate night.

Self debarkation where you carry all of your luggage wasn't offered. Disembarkation times were assigned by post cruise information. They requested that all cruisers be out of their cabins by 8 am and wait in different assigned areas according to luggage tag color. Colors weren't called over the PA. They only made announcements in your assigned area.

Enjoy your cruise!!

We called Costa for prices and then checked all large cruise agencies on-line. Some agencies had same Costa price, but none had lower. Some agencies had higher cancellation penalty; but they offered freebies which Costa didn't. The choice is yours when booking. Make sure your room is not with obstructed outside view or above or below disco or jogging track!

Thanks for your reply. Your cruise seems to have done things a little differently than most responses. We'll be prepared for various disembarkation times and bring enough shorts for breakfast or lunch in the dining room.

Archived