Are French pedicures "out"?

I don't see a whole lot of it around right now, but everyone has closed toed shoes on! I'm getting a pedi tomorrow and I'll ask.

I've never gotten used to the look, it always looks like (to me) the person has neglected to cut their toenails. But, it's right up there with long French acrylics looking so much more artificial than a shorter version.

I love a bit of color on my toes :)

Yes, am wearing an American on my toes for and upcoming wedding and for our cruise this summer as well.

Hey Alyson...long time no see, good to see a familiar face...how are you and your family...done any cruises or any planned since we last saw you???? :)

Every time I've seen a French Pedicure I've gotten grossed out--it looks like you haven't cut your toenails in ages and they've taken on claw-like tendencies. Ick.

I think this would depend on the place/person that you have do it...yea, dime nail/pedi shop most certainly will make not look so great, as they are the quick in and quick out type of places...but at my hair salon where we get pedis (almost 3x the costs of "dime" pedi shops), makes my toes look very natrual and clean...so no grossing out my way.

Here in CO...at least during the summer months when toes are more noticeable, brightly painted peds with 'art work' are the rage.

I got a ped before my last cruise in Jan. and my manicurist did a cute 'Palm Tree' on the big toes and then on all the other toes, she put a wavy stripe sort of like the ocean. They really looked cute and very tropical.

Even though the link below is not exactly how my 'nail art' looked like (different colors, etc.) it can give you an idea how it looked when it was finished.

The photo 'C' of the 'Palm Tree' is close to what she put on each of my big toes without the water/ocean on the bottom:

http://www.miginailart.com/DesignStudio.aspx

I really enjoyed the 'nail art'...it gave me such a fun feeling for my cruise!

I get a pedi every 2 weeks..even in the winter (for, uh, medical reasons. Ya know..those pesky ingrowns. Yeah, that's it). Anyway, my tech talked me into a french once, and I tried to like it, but I just couldn't. I love color on my toes. I usually get bright red or a deep purple. On my last cruise, she did them red and painted a martini on the big toe. So cute!

Hi all,

Hi KBT Kim!!

Have you girls who hate the french mani/pedi tried the American?? Much more subtle and natural looking. I also like a simple finger nail with a bright, funky toenail. Serious on top, party on the bottom!!!!

Kim,

We are great! Doing Carribean on Hal in 3 weeks!! How is your handsome hubby and if I remember correctly...twins?

Hope you are well...

A:D

French pedicures are still in in Mississippi! In fact I just got one myself last week. We have beautiful Spring weather here.:) The nails do not look gross, and they do not yellow. I think it depends on who does your nails and how they do them. I always get regular pedicures so I keep mine looking fresh and clean. They do not look as if they need to be cut. I think it is a matter of opinion. Of course, I like my nails occasionally polished red too!

I have to agree that the french or american pedicure just looks like the toenails are too long. YuK! The purpose of the white or pink tip of the manicure version is to imitate the look of the natural nail. My unpainted toenails have never been so long that the white tips are visable! If they where, it would be time to cut them.

Sorry, if you have a french pedicure most people would just think, wow she needs a trim! Luckily here in the Seattle area it was a short lived trend.:eek:

I'm Canadian and have never heard of an American pedi...what does it look like?

I don't mind a french manicure but don't favor the look of the french pedi - most leave the toe nails too long for my liking.

I prefer colored polish pedi's, and the idea of a palm tree or martini painted on sounds neat.

Payd:)

Archived