Civ - Rome, train, not usual ?, if you have ridden train-advice please

Three families are using the train to get to port. We have the time (June 6 at 1:08) and the train, but none of us seem to be able to book the darn tickets. I put in that we are using the standard rate. I put in the number of adults and kids (no first class on this train), and once it even let me put in my name, but after that it keeps looping around to the number of travelers page.

if you have booked a ticket successfully online, please help me out with this.

Thanks-

Linda

O.K. Let me see if I can help you...

The correct website is

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Then it looks this way:

2007FSTicketing7-vi.jpg

You must enter

Roma Termini

Civitavecchia

06 06 2007

13 08

SEND

Next screen

2007FSTicketing6-vi.jpg

Your train appears as first train. Click right the

SHOPPING CART

Next screen

2007FSTicketing5-vi.jpg

Please enter

Fare: STANDARD

Adults: No. of adults

Children: No. of children

NORMALLY: You cannot book more than 5 persons at once.

Larger than 5 is a group and normally only availalbe at the counter in advance.

No. adults + children should not exceed 5

Now: ADD

Next screen

2007FSTicketing4a-vi.jpg

The second line of the fare you do not fill out!!!

Just ADD

and scroll down:

2007FSTicketing4b-vi.jpg

Click

SELF SERVICE

CONTINUE

--- to be continued in next posting as only 5 images allowed at once ---

Regards,

HeinBloed

Part 2:

2007FSTicketing3-vi.jpg

I am already registered customer of Italian Railways. Therefore please click to link to register yourself as customer (not shown here).

Enter

OK

2007FSTicketing2a-vi.jpg

scroll down to:

2007FSTicketing2b-vi.jpg

Click

BUY Credit Card

2007FSTicketing1-vi.jpg

Now you should enter your credit card details

and do not forget to click

I AGREE

OK

Please accept my decision that I am not entering my credit card no. just to show the next screen... But my next cruise is in the English Channel and not in Rome...

You get a booking confirmation and 6-digit alpha-numeric code (like airline tickets).

What is very important:

If you do not use a long-distance train (InterCity) you should not book too early your tickets as validity starts at date of purchase not at date of travel - validity 2 monthes - but users of IC-trains should book as early as possible to get seat reservations.

When you are at the station you collect your ticket at this yellow machine:

MusCvBahnhofAutomat-vi.jpg

There is a screentouch.

Select your language

Select internet ticket collection

Enter the 6-digit booking no.

Get the ticket

Before you board:

validate/cancel/punch your ticket by following CONVALIDA arrow to the buttom!!!

No mercy with tourists. You will be fined by conductor!!!

If you have further concrete questions feel free to ask.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Heinbloed,

Thank you very much for all of the useful info re train from Civ to Rome and back.

If possible I require help with train travel from venice (post cruise) to munich in August, 2007 Which train system should I book thru, Italian or German sites. I am looking at taking the train during the day to see the country side and sites and leaving Venice around lunch time or early afternoon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,

Ukiecruzer

If possible I require help with train travel from venice (post cruise) to munich in August, 2007 Which train system should I book thru, Italian or German sites. I am looking at taking the train during the day to see the country side and sites and leaving Venice around lunch time or early afternoon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Good Morning,

let's see what we can do for you.

1. The new schedule starts on June 10, 2007

2. The booking starts 122 days ahead of this date for night trains between Italy and Germany.

3. The booking starts 60 days ahead of this date for day trains.

4. There will some summer specials coming - on Italian - on German - and on Austrian side (maybe there are two Austrain specials to combine...) - I am sure. Depending if you are going night or day you can go for 29 EUR... - maybe. If you book now you get only standard prices but have to order your reservations seperately...

Meanwhile what you should think about:

a) Do you like to see a beautiful landscape during a day trip? BUT you must change at least once the train

or

b) Do you prefer to safe time and a hotel stay and travel during the night without any sight and you can go without changing.

So when you have a decisiion night or day we can continue to talk!!!

Specify your date!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

We prefer a day train .

Put me as reminder on 60 days ahead of your planned travel from Venice to Munich...

Let's talk then again.

You can buy now STANDARD tickets it 89,10 EUR and you cannot make any reservations before 60 days prior to your travel date...

But if we then see if there is a summer special saving fare (like now in spring) available... Maybe I can get you for 32,50 EUR (!!!) - checked for June 09, 2007 from Venice to Munich on basis German Railways.

So have some patience and revert once it's time to contact me again.

What we can do definately:

Seat reservations costs only 3,50 EUR pp. And if you book together online with your tickets 1,50 EUR.

But we can book the seats at first and then wait for the specials. Even one week before your travel we can see if there is a short term special released. So you have all options. It cannot get worse than the standard fare!!!

If you do not take the reserved seats: 3,50 EUR is not a big loss!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

CRUISECRITIC (at) nickname-onboard dot de

Please replace nickname by my nickname used here in this forum

Heinbloed -- thank you so much for the information you have provided. However, I am still a bit confused. Following the instructions of taking the regional train in the morning from Civitivecchia to Rome, and the express in the afternoon, must I make a reservation in advance? If I don't, is there a good chance I won't be able to catch the express in the late afternoon? Do both types of train require a reservation? How much will it cost for each leg of the trip?

Thank you!

~Lynn

By the way what do you mean by please replace nickname.

Good Morning:

exactly - that's my e-mail-address.

Your nickname here is ukiecruzer but you should my nickname in the address-line.

It's to avoid spam-mails detected by automated scanners which are checking e-mail-addresses from public websites.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Good Morning,

and the express in the afternoon, must I make a reservation in advance?

I would do it - you are safe! As this is peak-time and you do not want to stand all the way to Civitavecchia.

If I don't, is there a good chance I won't be able to catch the express in the late afternoon?

You can just make it be on the safe side!

Do both types of train require a reservation?

No - no reservations available for regional trains.

As the Express is leaving every 2 hour there should be only ONE POTENTIAL connection which fit to your plans. So if you do not get it - you just missed and have to use a regional train.

How much will it cost for each leg of the trip?

The reservation is free as long as you book the train in the internet.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you, HeinBloed.

More dumb questions: :o

Leaving from Civitavecchia, I just ask for a one-way ticket to Rome? How much will it cost?

For the return on the express train (with a reservation), I just validate the ticket as instructed by you previously? How much is the return on the express train?

You would think I had never travelled in Europe before! I just want to make sure I know exactly what to do.

~Lynn

More dumb questions

There are NO (!!!) dumb questions.

We would not have progress if everyone is thinking that a question is dumb.

There are only dumb answers by people who are expecting that everyone have the same knowledge and new questions are not allowed...

Therefore ask ANYTHING you need to ask to create your perfect cruise.

Otherwise you will be disappointed because of wrong knowledge or expectations.

Leaving from Civitavecchia, I just ask for a one-way ticket to Rome? How much will it cost?

Based on Civitavecchia to Roma Termini (Central Station).

If you are taking an InterCity (long-distance-express) - indicated as IC/ICplus

11.00 EUR pp (adult / 1st class)

8.50 EUR pp (adult / 2nd class)

6.00 EUR pp (child 4-12 yo / 1st class)

5.50 EUR pp (child 4-12 yo / 2nd class)

If you are taking an EuroStar (long-distance-high-speed-express) - indicated as ES

15.00 EUR pp (adult / 1st class)

9.00 EUR pp (adult / 2nd class)

11.00 EUR pp (child 4-12 yo / 1st class)

9.00 EUR pp (child 4-12 yo / 2nd class)

If you are taking a Regional Train (only 2nd class available) - indicated as R

4.50 EUR pp (adult)

2.30 EUR pp (child 4-12 yo)

BUT IF YOU ARE INTERESTED TO STAY FOR THE REST OF THE DAY IN ROME AND TO BROWSE WITH PUBLIC TRANSPORTS (BUS, SUBWAY, TRAM) you should buy a day pass:

BIRG for 4 Zones

7.00 EUR pp (adult + child)

For the return on the express train (with a reservation), I just validate the ticket as instructed by you previously?

Exactly

How much is the return on the express train?

Exactly the same like indicated.

But if you are not using public transport and you get off at Roma S. Pietro to see the Vatican you pay a little less than above indicated on Regional trains.

You would think I had never travelled in Europe before! I just want to make sure I know exactly what to do.

What do you think how I am feeling to be first time in a big US-city and use the public transport??? Then I am also helpful to be prepared before...

All prices indicated as per May 01, 2007 - possible changes apply!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Heinbloed

i am so sorry as you have been so helpful to other people on the board and given me so much information. I have been trying unsuccessfully to navigate the trenitalia site just to check times for trains on 12th June. We will ( as so well advised!) get the regional train there to s.pietro and the intercity back from termini.

could you possibly give me soem help in getting the times from say 8am to 9.30 and then coming back in time to get abck to the ship for 6pm? I am assuming we are best to get a taxi from the dock to the station/

much obliged ( and if you ever need tips on Edinburgh.....)

K

i am so sorry as you have been so helpful to other people on the board and given me so much information.

Why sorry - the forum is an exchange platform of knowledge... Therefore no reason to feel sorry.

I have been trying unsuccessfully to navigate the trenitalia site just to check times for trains on 12th June. We will ( as so well advised!) get the regional train there to s.pietro and the intercity back from termini.

It was NOT YOUR mistake. Italian Railways is updating their schedule.

The new European schedule will become valid on 10.06.2007.

Therefore your requested connection is already in the new schedule period.

I am sure that the information for the Regional trains will be available any minute.

could you possibly give me soem help in getting the times from say 8am to 9.30 and then coming back in time to get abck to the ship for 6pm?

I wish I could but I need to have the same patience like you... Sorry.

I am assuming we are best to get a taxi from the dock to the station/much obliged

Beside you have stolen stones from Forum Romanum as souvenirs and your bags are very heavy when you are returning or you are mobility limited or you are late...

There is a free shuttle bus taking you to the port entrance. From there it's only 4 blocks (8-12 minutes walk) to the station... Save the money for a taxi and buy some more souvenirs!!!

( and if you ever need tips on Edinburgh.....)

I will revert!!! - But any knowledge about Greenock???

Regards,

HeinBloed

thank you so much. I will check again next week and see if i can get the times i require.

greenock- i presume you mean the port. it is basically a town outside Glasgow and not that nice to be honest. All very industricla and previously big shipbuilfing area. It is very easy to get a train itno Glasgow anfd the station ( Glasgow central) is right slap bang in the middle of town and will not cost more that about £8.00 return for an adult.It ttakes about 50 mins and trains are very frequent. try www.spt.co.uk for more information and a good journey planner. you will need to walk or get a cab to the station but from memory not that far.

ayr is also nice for a day out byt the sea or largs if you do nto want to go into glasgow although it has wonderful architecture and shopping!

Ok I'll jump in with a question--even though it is ridiculously early for me to be this obssessed. We are going to be in Rome three days pre-cruise, leaving from Civitavecchia next Feb 29 (a Friday if that makes a difference). We plan to stay in the Piazza Nuova area and would taxi to termini and take the train to Civitavecchia, probably aiming at leaving in the early afternoon (we sail at 7pm).

We will have one rolling garment bag each plus a backpack carry-on.

It seems like getting an express would be worth the extra money, at this time of the year do you think we could wait until we get to Rome to buy our tickets? If we are using the metro and other forms of public transportation during our stay it seems that all roads lead to Termini anyway, we could just bop in and buy the tickets then.

After struggling with too much too heavy luggage on the airport bus in Barcelona--we've learned our lesson and from now on if we can't lift it we don't pack it. (we already have our forum and coloseum rocks--but don't tell!!!!!)

Ok I'll jump in with a question--even though it is ridiculously early for me to be this obssessed. We are going to be in Rome three days pre-cruise, leaving from Civitavecchia next Feb 29 (a Friday if that makes a difference). We plan to stay in the Piazza Nuova area and would taxi to termini and take the train to Civitavecchia, probably aiming at leaving in the early afternoon (we sail at 7pm).

We will have one rolling garment bag each plus a backpack carry-on.

It seems like getting an express would be worth the extra money, at this time of the year do you think we could wait until we get to Rome to buy our tickets? If we are using the metro and other forms of public transportation during our stay it seems that all roads lead to Termini anyway, we could just bop in and buy the tickets then.

After struggling with too much too heavy luggage on the airport bus in Barcelona--we've learned our lesson and from now on if we can't lift it we don't pack it. (we already have our forum and coloseum rocks--but don't tell!!!!!)

Let's make a long story short:

we'll have another schedule change in Europe in December 2007.

Talk to you in November 2007 again!

Regards,

HeinBloed

If our ship docks in Civitavecchia at 7:00 am, and we are planning to take the ship's shuttle to the port entrance and then walk to the station, is it feasible that we could catch the 8:02 train? Or should we rather plan on getting the 8:41 or even the 9:02?

We have hired a private driver who will meet us at the station in Rome, but we need to tell him which train we'll be on! ;)

Thanks for your help~

What a GREAT thread and wonderful information!!!!!:D

I have a question I have not seen asked just yet. We are on Summit (not until Nov '08) BUT....planning early is a good thing!:p

We will arrive in Cit. @ 7 am on a Monday but we don't depart until Tuesday @ 7pm! AND we have never been to Rome!

My question is this: would you recommend we get a hotel in Rome for the night rather than run back & forth on the train? We will be hiring a driver for some short tours of the surrounding areas if time permits, but can you give me a good "schedule" of what you seasoned Rome tourists would do?

It's just my DH & me and we are late 50's and very healthy for walking, etc!

Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks again, HeinBloed! Last question -- well maybe not! :D

We'll be going into Rome on a Sunday. Will the trains be less crowded? I'm hesitant to make the reservation and pay in advance just in case something happens and we decide not to go into Rome.

~Lynn

Sorry for late answers,

I was free to stay for two days on NORWEGIAN DREAM and just back from Dover.

Now I have to go for Shanghai for the week. Therefore do not wonder because of my reaction time...

If our ship docks in Civitavecchia at 7:00 am,

Depending to your nationality and which was the last port before you arrive in Civitavecchia.

and we are planning to take the ship's shuttle to the port entrance and then walk to the station, is it feasible that we could catch the 8:02 train?

Depends to your feet and ellbows...

There are only two or three buses running for the shuttle. It's not sure that you catch the 1st bus and you might wait some minutes for the next...

But if you can fight for getting on the bus...

Depending to the exact berth it can take some minutes to be at the port entrance.

Walk to station 8-12 minutes.

Tickets???

If your train starts from platform 1s add 3 minutes more to walk...

Or should we rather plan on getting the 8:41 or even the 9:02?

8.41 is perfect!

We have hired a private driver who will meet us at the station in Rome, but we need to tell him which train we'll be on! ;)

If you start in St. Peter/Vatican you should tell your driver to meet you at Roma S. Pietro instead of Roma Termini.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I have a question I have not seen asked just yet. We are on Summit (not until Nov '08) BUT....planning early is a good thing!:p

We will arrive in Cit. @ 7 am on a Monday but we don't depart until Tuesday @ 7pm! AND we have never been to Rome!

My question is this: would you recommend we get a hotel in Rome for the night rather than run back & forth on the train? We will be hiring a driver for some short tours of the surrounding areas if time permits, but can you give me a good "schedule" of what you seasoned Rome tourists would do?

I would say depends to your budget and how many tupperware you might have.

The advantage of being back on board:

- accomodation

- food

The disadvantage of being back on board:

- 2 hours lost of transit times instead of having additional time for Rome.

If your budget has a big volume: I would stay in Rome.

Check the movie "Roman Holidays" with Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck - Check the movie "Only You" with Marisa Tomei and Robert Downey Jr.

If you like such activities in the night you should stay in Rome.

If your budget does not allow bigger jumps you might want to stay in Rome in a hotel and getting some food from the night before in Tupperware from the ship... as food in Rome is not the cheapest!!!

But if you really would like to stay in Rome: stay in a central located hotel. It does not make sense to choose a budget hotel in the suburbs when you need same time to get back on the ship.

My personal recommendation:

Take the train to Rome -

meet their your local walking guide who can get you to your hotel

go from there with him to the Vatican.

Order a driver for the night who will drive you around through the illuminated scenic Rome.

The next day I would walk by myself to intensify my knowledge to special sights which you might be deeper interested.

Collect your bag in the hotel and get back by train to Civitavecchia.

Just a personal suggestion.

Regards,

HeinBloed

We'll be going into Rome on a Sunday. Will the trains be less crowded? I'm hesitant to make the reservation and pay in advance just in case something happens and we decide not to go into Rome.

Yes - no workers - less trains - more families...

depends to the weather - you are going anticycling:

sunny and warm: Most Romans get out to the beaches...

overcast and medium: People from the countryside going to the cities...

rainy and cold: everybody stay home...

To Rome it will not be a big problem... beside your cruise-mates from your ship and maybe other ships...

But from Rome could be a little bit more traffic...

There is a good customer service with FS. When I write them an e-mail they offered me a rufund to my credit card...

A reservation is only available for the Express-Trains. You can still use another train but your only your reservation is lost and you must find yourself a seat and you have overpaid a little bit if you are using a Regional Train. That's it.

But check this side and you will be nicely surprised:

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/orari_biglietti/rimborso/index.html

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived