Civ - Rome, train, not usual ?, if you have ridden train-advice please

Thanks, HeinBloed, this was exactly the kind of information we needed. We are American and our prior port will have been Livorno, so we should not need to clear customs/immigration. Our feet are in good shape, but we might be reluctant to use our elbows..... so, we'll plan on catching the 8:41! :)

Thanks HeinBloed! I will keep researching all these activities. I am pretty sure we will spend the night in Rome & I don't think we will need Tupperware from the ship---we want to experience all the GREAT food available, well worth some extra $$$$$!!:D

Which trains have rest-rooms on them ?

We're arriving on a Saturday anything different at weekends ?

I am not sure if Italian Railways use other toilets on Saturday than other weekdays. Maybe because of Sunday they will decorate it more Christian or during Christmas...

As this question is coming from time to time these pictures are made on a Wednesday in January:

MusRegWC1-vi.jpg

That's the door to the toilet in the Regional train and it looks inside like this:

MusRegWC2-vi.jpg

And the following pictures are taken in an Intercity-(long-distance-express)-train:

MusICWC1-vi.jpg

MusICWC2-vi.jpg

Regards,

HeinBloed

Sorry what i meant was - are the trains times any different at weekend - are the trains less crowded ?

I think just the question came for Sunday... same about - a little more shopping traffic...

Regards,

HeinBloed

Based on Civitavecchia to Roma Termini (Central Station).

If you are taking a Regional Train (only 2nd class available) - indicated as R

4.50 EUR pp (adult)

2.30 EUR pp (child 4-12 yo)

BUT IF YOU ARE INTERESTED TO STAY FOR THE REST OF THE DAY IN ROME AND TO BROWSE WITH PUBLIC TRANSPORTS (BUS, SUBWAY, TRAM) you should buy a day pass:

BIRG for 4 Zones

7.00 EUR pp (adult + child)

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hi HeinBloed, thanks for having the patience to answer our questions. I have one more...if I bought the BIRG 7euros ticket, would this BIRG cover transportation to Tivoli (as I would like to visit on the same day that I return from Civit to Rome). THANKS:)

Oh, another question: re train from FCO to Rome....is the regional train the same train as Metropolitan FM1...it seems the FM1 trains stop at Rome Tiburtina/Fara Sabina (sp?) but the regional trains (from trenitalia site) go to Tiburtina, Trastevere, Ostiense etc. Sorry, I know I shouldn't ask this here, but I did not want to bother you with another thread question. Thanks.

Although we have been to Europe before we have never taken the train. This year we want to do the majority of travel via the train system but I can't seem to figure out where we have to transfer to. Following is a list of what we want to do. Is it better to buy individual tickets or a pass of some kind? Are there any discounts? I am 55 and my husband is 60.

June 30 - about 10 AM - Civitavecchia to Milan

July 2 - about 10 AM - Milan to Zermatt, Switzerland

July 5 - about 10 AM - Zermatt to Reims, France

July 10 - also about 10 AM - Reims to Paris

We also plan on using the Hop On Hop Off bus in Rome and Paris. We will be in each of those cities for a week and will probably use the metro or other transportation to get around.

Can we stay on the same train or do we need to make connections?

I appreciate your help very much because I am getting more confused the closer it gets to the traveling date. We are leaving the US for Rome on May 29 and need to get this finalized before we go.

Thank you!!

Linda

if I bought the BIRG 7euros ticket, would this BIRG cover transportation to Tivoli (as I would like to visit on the same day that I return from Civit to Rome). THANKS:)

If you are talking about the Tivoli... this one in Copenhagen??? No!!!

Only Civitavecchia - Rome - Civitavecchia incl. all public transports within Rome City Limits (NO airport transfers!).

Civitavecchia is in Zone D.

Rome in Zone A

Tivoli in Zone B

As you have purchased the D with more zones and D includes B this should be in...

I would make a print-out of this page and have this with me:

http://www.atac.roma.it/biglietti/index.asp?p=1&i=7&lng=2

Oh, another question: re train from FCO to Rome....is the regional train the same train as Metropolitan FM1...it seems the FM1 trains stop at Rome Tiburtina/Fara Sabina (sp?) but the regional trains (from trenitalia site) go to Tiburtina, Trastevere, Ostiense etc. Sorry, I know I shouldn't ask this here, but I did not want to bother you with another thread question.

Exactly!!! FM1 is a name for the specific route. Regional Train is the type of trains.

Regards,

HeinBloed

hey, i am new to this...so i don't know if it's impolite to ask a question on question...but i just want to know how to get to civitavecchia FROM rome. we are staying at a hotel very near the termini...is there a direct train from termini, i don't want to miss our ship...also how far from civita. train station to the ship? are taxis available.

thanks...

Is it better to buy individual tickets or a pass of some kind? Are there any discounts? I am 55 and my husband is 60..

Sorry to say that: you are toooooo young. Mostly it start from 60.

But let's check:

EurorailSelectPassSaver in 1st class will be 295 EUR/354 USD.

valid any 5 days from a sececutive 2-month period in three countries which could be Italy, Switzerland and France.

Problem: not accepted on the route to Zermatt.

Are you going directly to Zermatt or wanted to take the scenic train Glacier-Express from St. Moritz to Zermatt??? You cannot do it if you are starting so late from Milan.

June 30 - about 10 AM - Civitavecchia to Milan.
´

too early to ask - final schedule not published yet:

valid from June 10.

July 2 - about 10 AM - Milan to Zermatt, Switzerland

10.25 hrs EC 132 leaving from Milano Centrale

13.40 hrs arriving in Brig

13.05 hrs R 245 leaving from Brig

14.24 hrs arriving in Zermatt

Direct connection.

Just to remember: http://www.swisstravelsystem.ch/fileadmin/pdf/STS-G-PASS-S-07-GZD01.pdf

If you are planning a trip on Gornegratbahn (while you are in Zermatt) and like it more scenic: keep this prices in mind:

3days/1month/1st class/SwissFlexi/312CHF/200EUR/235USD

50% on Gornegrat

(It's just to remember when I got the Italian prices after the schedules released...)

This is more scenic and nicer and gorgeous:

10.25 hrs EC 132 leaving from Milano Centrale

11.55 hrs arriving in Domodossola

12.05 hrs D 57 leaving from Domodossola

13.55 hrs arriving in Locarno

14.39 hrs IR 2286 leaving in Locarno

16.05 hrs arriving in Göschenen

17.52 hrs R 569 leaving in Göschenen

20.02 hrs arriving in Brig

20.23 hrs Bus leaving in Brig

21.25 hrs arriving in Taesch

21.30 hrs R 123 leaving in Taesch

21.42 hrs arriving in Zermatt

This schedule suggestion is based that you will not like to leave Milan before 10.00 hrs.

But as someone who used love scenic trains in Switzerland: you will not regret it. Check if you can go earlier.

As Göschenen - Zermatt is more scenic than Domodossola - Locarno this could be a compromise:

11.18 hrs CIS 154 leaving from Milano Centrale

12.33 hrs arriving in Bellinzona

13.00 hrs IR 2280 leaving from Bellinzona

14.05 hrs arriving in Göschenen

14.09 hrs R 551 leaving from Göschenen

14.18 hrs arriving in Andermatt

14.47 hrs D 909 GLACIER-EXPRESS leaving from Andermatt

17.42 hrs arriving in Zermatt

You would go along side of beautiful Alp seas and it's a scenic route over the glacier.

July 5 - about 10 AM - Zermatt to Reims, France

09.30 hrs R 226 leaving in Zermatt

10.39 hrs arriving in Visp

11.07 hrs IR 1720 leaving in Visp

12.40 hrs arriving in Lausanne

13.22 hrs TGV 9268 leaving in Lausanne

15.21 hrs arriving in Dijon Ville

15.40 hrs RE 39827/39826 leaving in Dijon Ville

19.18 hrs arriving in Reims

July 10 - also about 10 AM - Reims to Paris

10.15 hrs TGV 2722 leaving from Reims

11.00 hrs arriving in Paris Est

Regards,

HeinBloed

hey, i am new to this...so i don't know if it's impolite to ask a question on question...but i just want to know how to get to civitavecchia FROM rome. we are staying at a hotel very near the termini...is there a direct train from termini, i don't want to miss our ship

The whole thread is about it... YES!

...also how far from civita. train station to the ship? are taxis available.

Depends to the exact berth of the ship.

4 blocks to the port entrance - from there is a free shuttle bus to your ship available.

Taxis are available in front of the station building.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hein Bloed - Thank you very much for your help with the train and also for suggestions on how to make it better. Now I just have to decide and soon.

Thanks again!

Linda

You have been such a help, Hein Bloed. Wanted your opinion on this scenario. We are scheduled in the port of Civitivecchia on Tuesday May 22 from 8 am to 8:30 pm. We plan to get off the ship just as soon as possible after docking (one of us will wait in line - qnd we are good at this!) and be on the first shuttle to the port entrance. We will be attempting to make the 8:41 regional train, which I realize may be impossible, so back up plan is for the 9:02. We plan to go all the way to the Rome Termini to see the Colliseum and Forum areas first (plan to use subway Line B Colsseo stop) and to purchase BIRG tickets. If we have to we will upgrade return tickets.We already have a 2pm guided tour of the Vatican Museum/Sistene Chapel booked (3 hour tour) and will use the subway and or buses to get back there. Need to work in quick stops at the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps, probably before our Vatican tour (including a quick peak at St. Peters and the Pieta). We plan to catch just a regional train back to Civitivecchia. We figure if we leave Rome by 5:30 we will have 2 1/2 hours to get back. As you can see, time will be tight and we will just get a "taste" of Rome (we definitely plan to come back!) I know this is not the order you showed, but this is the tour timee we got for the Vatican Tour. Any suggestions would be appreciated for use of the public transport which we realize will be very busy for the hours we need. Thanks!

You have been such a help, Hein Bloed. Wanted your opinion on this scenario. We are scheduled in the port of Civitivecchia on Tuesday May 22 from 8 am to 8:30 pm. We plan to get off the ship just as soon as possible after docking (one of us will wait in line - qnd we are good at this!) and be on the first shuttle to the port entrance. We will be attempting to make the 8:41 regional train, which I realize may be impossible, so back up plan is for the 9:02.

Let me be honest: 9.02 hrs is too optimistic.

Suggestion take 9.22 hrs which arrives 6 minutes earlier in Roma Termini than 9.02 hrs train as it is an express train. So although you start later in Civitavecchia you arrive earlier in Roma Termini!!!

It's a little more expensive.

We plan to go all the way to the Rome Termini to see the Colliseum and Forum areas first (plan to use subway Line B Colsseo stop) and to purchase BIRG tickets. If we have to we will upgrade return tickets.We already have a 2pm guided tour of the Vatican Museum/Sistene Chapel booked (3 hour tour) and will use the subway and or buses to get back there. Need to work in quick stops at the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps, probably before our Vatican tour (including a quick peak at St. Peters and the Pieta). We plan to catch just a regional train back to Civitivecchia. We figure if we leave Rome by 5:30 we will have 2 1/2 hours to get back.

If your tour starts at 14.00 hrs and it last until 17.00 hrs it does not make sense to get back to Roma Termini.

Why do not you just walk to Roma S. Pietro station at get back as follows:

17.28/17.34/17.58/18.29 hrs leaving in Roma S. Pietro

18.15/18.24/18.56/19.15 hrs arriving in Citivitavecchia

Spend some minutes to have a cup of coffee at the square or walk to the Angel's castle which makes more sense than to walk to Roma Termini and get on your train.

Have fun.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you HeinBloed! Perhaps we will dock early and we can go with one of the earlier times for the train (wishful thinking!). However, with the help of all your previous posts I have a great idea about all our options with the tickets we will need. We are still firming up our plans and hoping for the best. Planning does make a huge difference!

• 2 weeks later...

HeinBloed, thank you for the information and photos it is very valuable. Maybe you have a suggestion here.

I have been unable to complete a purchase at trenitalia.com for tickets on an IC train for a trip in June. I get to the end to purchase using credit card, but each time I get a message stating "Payment denied". I have tried several different types of credit cards, making sure the security code is correct. I have created different accounts, in case one was locked out. Still, "payment denied'. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks again.

Greetings!

I started this thread way back when we were planning our APril stop in ROme. Thank you Heinbloed for your excellent advice! Everything worked out perfectly. We did get off at S. Pietro and watched the people needlessly walk to the dome rather than follow your directions (the pictures you provided helped!). We made it there so easily!

We were in Civ. on a Sunday, the last SUnday of the month. Trains on that day are limited so I was really counting on catching the 7:41am train. We were off our ship a few minutes before 7am, us and about 3 other couples. The "free shuttle" was there as well as a few taxis. To our dismay the shuttle was not going to leave until more people got off the ship...so we went in with another couple and split the cost of a taxi (15 Euro total) to the train station and we were there lickety-split! I would do that again in a heartbeat as it took away any concern about getting to the train on time. NO STRESS!

I also had the problem with the credit card purchase giving me a "payment denied" message. I called my CC company - Capital 1 - they could not tell me why, it was not being denied on their end, it didn't even show up on any activity they had. I ended up using a Chase Visa and it went thru with no problem. My advice I guess would be to make sure your CC company is aware of your trying to make a purchase in Italy and then try again....It was completely frustrating to go thru the whole thing and get that "denied" message! There is hope though!

JEAN

Before the schedule disappears again on Italian Railways' website:

The new schedule is released!!! FINALLY!!!

VALID FROM June 10, 2007

dep Civitavecchia - arr Roma S. Pietro - arr Roma Termini - train - day of operation Sun=e.g. June 10, 2007, Mon-Fri=e.g. June 11, 2007, Sat=e.g. June 16, 2007

7.02 - 7.57 - 8.20 - Regional 12229 - daily

7.35 - 8.25 - 8.50 - Regional 3259 - daily

8.02 - 8.57 - 9.20 - Regional 34361 - daily

8.41 - 9.27 - 9.50 - Regional 2335 - daily

9.02 - 9.57 - 10.20 - Regional 12233 - daily

9.22 - skip - 10.14 - InterCityPlus 501 - Mon-Sat

9.41 - 10.27 - 10.50 - Regional 3263 - Mon-Sat

9.57 - skip - 10.57 - EuroStar 9305 - daily

10.02 - 10.57 - 11.20 - Regional 12235 - Mon-Sat

10.41 - 11.27 - 11.50 - Regional 2337 - daily

dep Roma Termini - dep Roma S. Pietro - arr Civitavecchia - train - day of operation Sun=e.g. June 10, 2007, Mon-Fri=e.g. June 11, 2007, Sat=e.g. June 16, 2007

15.08 - 15.28 - 16.15 - Regional 3260 - Mon-Sat

15.38 - 15.58 - 16.56 - Regional 12244 - Mon-Sat

15.46 - skip - 16.32 - InterCity 538 - daily

16.08 - 16.28 - 17.15 - Regional 2344 - daily

16.38 - 16.58 - 17.56 - Regional 12246 - daily

17.00 - skip - 17.45 - EuroStar 9308 - daily

17.08 - 17.28 - 18.15 - Regional 3262 - Mon-Sat

17.13 - 17.34 - 18.24 - Regional 3264 - Mon-Sat

17.38 - 17.58 - 18.56 - Regional 12248 - Mon-Sat

17.46 - skip - 18.32 - InterCityPlus 542 - daily

18.08 - 18.29 - 19.15 - Regional 2346 - daily

18.16 - 18.37 - 19.31 - Regional 7146 - Mon-Sat

18.38 - 18.58 - 19.56 - Regional 12250 - daily

19.08 - 19.28 - 20.18 - Regional 3268 - Mon-Sat

19.38 - 19.58 - 20.56 - Regional 12252 - Mon-Sat

19.46 - skip - 20.32 - InterCityPlus 546 - Sun

20.08 - 20.28 - 21.15 - Regional 2348 - daily

20.38 - 20.58 - 21.56 - Regional 12254 - daily

No garantuee for validity - check yourself for final schedule. Just for orientation. Should be valid until December 09, 2007.

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed, thank you for the information and photos it is very valuable. Maybe you have a suggestion here.

I have been unable to complete a purchase at trenitalia.com for tickets on an IC train for a trip in June. I get to the end to purchase using credit card, but each time I get a message stating "Payment denied". I have tried several different types of credit cards, making sure the security code is correct. I have created different accounts, in case one was locked out. Still, "payment denied'. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks again.

Hello,

if you visit

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/area_clienti/index.html

and contact Italian Railways and explain your problem - I am sure that they will help you.

I was nicely surprised how fast my request were attended.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Sorry if this has been asked before, but are there a lot of stairs at the station in Civ, but no elevator?

I heard that it can be difficult to maneuver with luggage and everything...

LEAVING CIVITAVECCHIA for Rome:

Beside the long ramp or alternatively the 8-10 steps in front of the station building from the promenade there is no further steps to walk.

Rome bound trains just start from the platform on the track side directly to station building or to the right outside the hall but no further steps.

ARRIVING CIVITAVECCHIA from Rome:

There is no escalator - but you have to carry your baggage to the tunnel and up on the surface ground level again.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 1 year later...
N. B.

What's your nationality and what's the country before you get to Civitavecchia.

I remember on my cruise Tripolis, Lybia was the last port before we get to Civitavecchia.

I. e. you are entering the Schengen-Countries from a third country (like Malta, Lybia, Morocco, Tunesia, Egypt, Turkey, Israel, Cyprus, Lebanon).

All non-European citizens had to wait before their passports were returned as they were stamped by the immigration authorities.

As my parents have no EU-passport it took us 30 minutes more before we could leave the ship...

If your last country before Rome are part of Schengen like France, Greece or Spain (there are some more... but no cruiseship from Luxemburg or Austria to Italy...) it should not happen.

Just before you plan an early disembaquement in Civitavecchia. Just keep it in mind!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hi HeinBloed, for your information Malta is part of the Eu and far off from a third world country.

Hi HeinBloed, for your information Malta is part of the Eu and far off from a third world country.

Read carefully:

I. e. you are entering the Schengen-Countries from a third country (like Malta, Lybia, Morocco, Tunesia, Egypt, Turkey, Israel, Cyprus, Lebanon).

The posting is of early 2007:

but at this time Malta joined the EU May 1, 2004

but Schengen was inaugurated in Malta December 21, 2007

Therefore in relation to the Schengen Countries: Malta was a so-called "third country", i. e. not a Schengen Country. I have never mentioned that Malta was part of the "Third World" - that was your wording!!!

I just apology that I do not update my postings after some historical events happened.

Regards,

HeinBloed

And do not forget to correct everyone who has not corrected former postings that Malta is not part of EuroZone.

Archived