Civ - Rome, train, not usual ?, if you have ridden train-advice please

I haven't seen this quesion asked - need help with train from Civitavecchia.

I will be arriving Civ. via Royal Princess on a SUNDAY, we are in port from 7am - 7pm. I plan on making a day of it in Rome, taking the train on my own. I have been on the train website http://trenitalia.com. I have a couple of specific questions I hope you can help with.

1) What time can I reasonably expect to get to the Civ. train station by? My ship holds 750 passengers if this helps in the equation. I'm assuming shore excursions thru the ship get priority off the ship.

2) The trains on SUnday appear to be after 7am (with Rome arrival):

7:35 - 8:50 (arrival)

8:41 - 9:50

9:02 - 10:20

Would you (or did you) prepurchase tickets online. Pick them up (if prepurchased) at the station or have them mailed. Or just purchase at the station?

3) I had hoped to go to the Vatican first, thus getting off at Ottaviano - San Pietro. Do any of the trains do this or do I need to go first to the Termini station then take the A Metro to the Vatican. (Is there an easier way?)

3) The return the schedule is as follows:

16:08 - 17:15 (arrival)

16:38 - 17:56

17:00 - 17:45

17:46 - 18:32

The first two trains are not express, the last two are. My plan was to take the 17:00 express train, leaving the 17:46 train as a close back-up. Would this be the best alternative?

Then....(sorry so many questions, trying to be VERY thorough) I have noticed the express train has seat reservation. Is this just another reason to take the 17:00 express rather than the 16:38 train?

I am doing all this planning for my husband and myself, but also friends and I want to make sure I appear to know what I am doing! :cool:

Thanks for any and all info you can give me!

JEAN

Hi Jean - we took the train from Civitavecchia to Rome and back.

1) What time can I reasonably expect to get to the Civ. train station by? My ship holds 750 passengers if this helps in the equation. I'm assuming shore excursions thru the ship get priority off the ship.

Since you are at dock, you should be able to disembark as soon as the gangplank is open. (Those on excursions usually meet in a certain area of the ship, e.g. theatre, and then disembark.)

2) The trains on SUnday appear to be after 7am (with Rome arrival):

7:35 - 8:50 (arrival)

8:41 - 9:50

9:02 - 10:20

Would you (or did you) prepurchase tickets online. Pick them up (if prepurchased) at the station or have them mailed. Or just purchase at the station?

Purchase at the station - the ticket attendant just handed us a B.I.R.G. ticket in exchange for 9E each. Be sure to validate it before boarding. It might be difficult to make the 7:35 train (we were on the first Celebrity shuttle to the station which left the port at 7:30 .... then still had the 10 min. walk to the station.)

3) I had hoped to go to the Vatican first, thus getting off at Ottaviano - San Pietro. Do any of the trains do this or do I need to go first to the Termini station then take the A Metro to the Vatican. (Is there an easier way?)

Some people on our train got off at San Pietro ... we went to Termini as we were going to the Collosseum first.

3) The return the schedule is as follows:

16:08 - 17:15 (arrival)

16:38 - 17:56

17:00 - 17:45

17:46 - 18:32

The first two trains are not express, the last two are. My plan was to take the 17:00 express train, leaving the 17:46 train as a close back-up. Would this be the best alternative?

We took the 16:38 as it was included in our B.I.R.G. ticket and only 20 minutes earlier than the express.

Then....(sorry so many questions, trying to be VERY thorough) I have noticed the express train has seat reservation. Is this just another reason to take the 17:00 express rather than the 16:38 train?

We had no problems getting seats on the train in both directions, so reserved seating wasn't a concern. We were there on a weekday when there were commuters, so the train was quite full.

I am doing all this planning for my husband and myself, but also friends and I want to make sure I appear to know what I am doing! :cool:

It sounds to me like you know what you are doing .... have fun! :)

Just one addition to the perfect answers above:

The train station San Pietro is not the metro station Ottaviano. (OP, you wrote "I had hoped to go to the Vatican first, thus getting off at Ottaviano - San Pietro.") It is a train station on the other side of the Vatican close to the basilica while Ottaviano is close to the Vatican museum.

Only the normal trains stop at San Pietro not the express ones. To go this way is much faster than going all the way around Rome to Stazione Termini and taking the metro from there.

It's easy to get off at ROMA S. Pietro.

You'll arrive 15 minutes before you will arrive at ROMA Termini.

But you only need to walk about 10 minutes from station to Peter Square.

Just follow:

MusFSSPietro1-vi.jpg

When you are in front of the station you'll already see St. Peter:

MusFSSPietro3-vi.jpg

Follow this sign:

MusWegSPietro1-vi.jpg

But do not follow all other cruisers who just walk towards the dome and make a right turn at the TOTAL service station:

MusWegSPietro2-vi.jpg

Use the subway to arrive on Peter Square:

MusWegSPietro4-vi.jpg

If you are planning to use HOHO-bus within Rome a BIRG ticket does not make sense.

Then you can book in advance and just collect at the yellow ticket machine without queuing up.

I booked regional trains to St. Peter (but no 1st class available - most of the trains start in Civitavechhia - so lot of space - train offer English announcements).

For the return we booked InterCity Express which was nice. Therefore we booked for about 5 USD more 1st class incl. reservation.

Have a nice trip to Rome.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I just love cruisecritic! Thank you so much for your answers! You are such tremendous help! I just have a couple of clarifications...please!

HeinBloed:

Great pictures! I am such a visual learner that this will really help! WHen you say to "Follow this sign" I assume it's the S. Pietro one, not the blue arrow:eek: ...and when you say to "use the subway to Peter's Square" you don't actually mean for me to get on a subway but use the station to get thru to it?

Cruiseluv:

Yes, I knew about the Sunday stuff, this happens to be on the last SUnday of the month. I checked the Vatican (Holy See) website and it said the museum is open from 9:00-12:30 so that's why I'm heading there first....I don't know what kind of lines I can expect, but maybe it being APril...not too bad.

Carlmm:

Thanks for the head's up on the station name. My Knopf Mapguides Rome book is not very clear on that. I finally pout the info you gave me into www.amadeus.net in their subway planner (AN INCREDIBLE DEVICE I MUST SAY) and it gives me that station. PERFECT!

Susan-M:

You said "Purchase at the station - the ticket attendant just handed us a B.I.R.G. ticket in exchange for 9E each. Be sure to validate it before boarding. It might be difficult to make the 7:35 train (we were on the first Celebrity shuttle to the station which left the port at 7:30 .... then still had the 10 min. walk to the station.) "

Can I break this down to ask a question?

Does the B.I.R.G. ticket include all metro's and buses in Rome? I will be taking the metro from the Vatican to the Colosseum, then to the Parthenon and back to the Termini so I would want a pass that includes all. That would make me want to skip the express and take the 16:38 train instead. (Have to think about it a while I guess).

It will be interesting to try to hit the 7:35 train...would give us an extra hour in ROme... I'm assuming Pricess has shuttle's to the Port entrance, will try to catch the earliest thing I can.

Again guys, thanks for your help! I have been trying to put this together and have at times thought "AW, what the heck, buy the shore excursion bus trip..." but I need to have FAITH in my ability to do this! :D

JEAN

Susan-M:

Does the B.I.R.G. ticket include all metro's and buses in Rome?

Yes

It will be interesting to try to hit the 7:35 train...would give us an extra hour in ROme... I'm assuming Pricess has shuttle's to the Port entrance, will try to catch the earliest thing I can.

I would try for the 7:35 train .... maybe you could grab a taxi as soon as you get off the ship. They usually are looking for full day tours, but if you are off the ship first thing, maybe they'll be willing to run you over to the station.

Again guys, thanks for your help! I have been trying to put this together and have at times thought "AW, what the heck, buy the shore excursion bus trip..." but I need to have FAITH in my ability to do this! :D

You're welcome! It takes a lot of planning to put it all together .... but it sounds like you are enjoying it, and your day in Rome should work out really well.

HeinBloed:

Great pictures! I am such a visual learner that this will really help! WHen you say to "Follow this sign" I assume it's the S. Pietro one, not the blue arrow:eek: ...and when you say to "use the subway to Peter's Square" you don't actually mean for me to get on a subway but use the station to get thru to it?

Blue arrow = European style to show "one way"...

(Off-Topic: In Germany the word "Einbahnstraße" (= one way) is written in the arrow - we asked an American friend to locate herself that we can arrange a collection - and she said: Einbahnstraße...)

S. Pietro (= Italian) means St. Peter

The circle within the circle means in Italy Centre

Therefore the yellow sign stands for Center of St. Peter!

Subway = here NO SUBWAY or UNDERGROUND - just a pedestrian tunnel !!! This pedestrian tunnel will bring you just to the admission to Peter Square.

If you want to use the express (InterCity) train you need an extra ticket, as BIRG would not work.

Some details on BIRG-tickets:

http://www.atac.roma.it/biglietti/page.asp?p=1&i=7&lng=2&tp=3&ID=16

Civitavecchia is in Zone D.

Therefore back to your suggestion to return by express: I would highly recommend to book the seperate train tickets in advance by internet.

Collection point at Civitavecchia station: this yellow machine:

MusCvBahnhofAutomat-vi.jpg

Just ignore all other queing passengers and go through to this machine.

Change language to English and enter Internet collection.

Enter your booking code. And you get your ticket.

CONVALIDA and the arrow to the bottom shows the location of the CANCELLING MACHINE/VALIDATING MACHINE/PUNCHER. Put your ticket into this machine.

For the regional trains to Roma S. Pietro you will not get any reservation.

For the express trains back from Roma Termini you can order reservations. But as already described by others: Do not forget to cancel/validate/punch your return ticket in Roma Termini at such a machine

MusCvEntwerter-vi.jpg

By this way: we did it exactly: Use the regional train to St. Peter (because this is 15 minutes ahead of Termini) and then using the Express train back to Civitavecchia.

1. we had reserved seats (which was very nice as you normally return during the rush-hours when everybody wants to get home)

2. we had 1st class (which was for little money more very comfortable!)

3. we had air condition (which was not need - but on hot summer days and you had a full day in Rome after long walks and with heavy shopping bags...)

4. we had access to ALL trains back to Civitavecchia if we are late or need more options so only our reservations would be unvalid if we use another train (so we could take ANY train - as in St. Peter only the regional stopped)

5. we had a restaurant car in the train to catch up the missed lunch-time (Rome was so exciting that we feel sorry to interrupt our tour to have some food)

6. we had only one additional stop before we arrived back in Civitavecchia (when just want to be back on your ship)

7. we had no other cruisers on board because they all follow the recommendation to use the BIRG tickets... (and they were not valid on the InterCity trains...).

But then you should check as option to use Bus 110 (that's provided as joint service of the Rome Transport Authorities). While public (bus + subway/metro/underground-lines) connect for local people - bus 110 connects all tourists attraction.

I feel sorry to be in a great place like Rome and see the subway/metro/underground as I can see in New York, Hong Kong, London, Paris... therefore I prefer to go on the ground and to see somthing from the city. Except very few attractions like Colosseum the subway/metro/underground can bring you fast from one point to the next but not in any case to the tourist attractions.

Check your options:

http://www.trambusopen.com/index.cfm?Id=home

As you have anyway seperate train tickets these two ticket options in Rome could be also very attractive for you:

BIT-Ticket (one day pass within Rome)

http://www.atac.roma.it/biglietti/page.asp?p=1&i=7&lng=2&tp=3&ID=15

or

ROMA PASS (three day pass for public transit, 2 free-of-charge admission to museums + discounts from the 3. attraction in Rome).

for 20 EUR.

Check here:

http://www.romapass.it/english/cosa.html

Personally I would say: as you want to use the express train for your return journey anyway:

seperate train tickets + bus 110

or

seperate train tickets + Roma Pass (depends if you like to go into the attractions or just want make pictures outside...).

Hope this was helpful...

Is not this city great???

MusRomForumRom-vi.jpg

MusSP3-vi.jpg

In preperation to your trip: Get ROMAN HOLIDAYS (Audrey Hepburn/Gregory Peck) and ONLY YOU (Marisa Tomei/Robert Downey Jr.) on DVD... and then feel what they felt... You'll love it!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

N. B.

What's your nationality and what's the country before you get to Civitavecchia.

I remember on my cruise Tripolis, Lybia was the last port before we get to Civitavecchia.

I. e. you are entering the Schengen-Countries from a third country (like Malta, Lybia, Morocco, Tunesia, Egypt, Turkey, Israel, Cyprus, Lebanon).

All non-European citizens had to wait before their passports were returned as they were stamped by the immigration authorities.

As my parents have no EU-passport it took us 30 minutes more before we could leave the ship...

If your last country before Rome are part of Schengen like France, Greece or Spain (there are some more... but no cruiseship from Luxemburg or Austria to Italy...) it should not happen.

Just before you plan an early disembaquement in Civitavecchia. Just keep it in mind!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Heinbloed:

Thank you so VERY much! You went above and beyond my wildest hopes in helping me plan this port! The pictures are great!

I will be travelling from Italy and am on US passport...so no problem there!

I can book now with confidence...will do a regular ticket from Civ. to Rome, getting off at S. Pietro, and return 1st class (might as well finish it off right!;) ) return on the express.

Thanks again!

JEAN

I am a little confused with the answers in some of the posts above. Just for clarification, do all of the trains listed above leave out of the Civ. train station such as trenitalia,the regional train and the express train. Are these all different lines or just different versions of the same line. We are wanting to ride the train to rome and see the Sistene Chapel first. From what is posted I should ride the regional train to S.Pietro and follow HeinBloed directions to the Chapel? Going back I should take the Express with reserved seats? Not knowing what time we can get to the station on both ends should we just buy tickets when we get there? Does that jeopordize getting reserved tickets? Sorry for all the questions but with so many ports to visit I didn't want to be fumbling around at any port. Thank you.

Sorry for having confused you:

Civitavechhia is enroute of the long-distance line from Genoa to Rome.

I. e. there some tram-routes you can use from Civitavechhia to Rome:

Minute behind the hour (with some exceptions / based on Monday Mar 12, 2007)

02 = regional train - starts in Civitavecchia stops at all stations incl. Roma S. Pietro (transit time 55 minutes) and Termini (76 minutes)

22 = InterCity (Express) train - starts in Genoa (or other places) arrives at Civitavecchia at 20 and continue WITHOUT stop in Roma S. Pietro and goes with one stop at another Rome suburb station to Termini (52 minutes)

41 = regional train - starts in Pisa arrives at Civitavechhia at minute 40 and continue with some stops but incl. Roma S. Pietro (46 minutes) and Termini (69 minutes)

NORMALLY there should be abt. 3 trains per hours to Rome but only Regional Trains (indicated with "R") will stop at Roma S. Pietro. Trains indicated with "IC" are long-distance express trains which do not stop at Roma S. Pietro.

During the rush hour there are additonal connections which do not fit to this schedule by hour. And it could be that some hours are skipped or small time deviation for single hours.

But check for your specific day at http://www.trenitalia.com.

Just for your information: Schedule change in Europe June 10, 2007.

So if you need connections after June 10, 2007 check after April 2007 again.

Now: if you use a BIRG-ticket (day pass incl. public transport in Rome) you are entitled to use the Regional trains only. You cannot use the IC (long-distance-express-trains).

If you have no BIRG-ticket and you want to go to S. Pietro first you use a Regional train to Roma S. Pietro and have a seperate ticket.

If you want to return from Roma Termini back to Civitavecchia and have no BIRG-Ticket you can use ANY train - Regional and IC (long-distance-express) and have a sperate ticket.

ONCE AGAIN:

All suggestions are for

Civitavecchia - Roma S. Pietro (by Regional train)

Roma Termini - Civitavecchia (by IC Long-distance-express-train)

and only apply to those travellers who do not use a so-called BIRG ticket!!!

You are entering Rome from the West.

St. Peter is West of Rome City Center.

This suggestion is subject that you start your individual Rome tour eastbound after St. Peter and do not return to St. Peter to catch your train.

So you just enter the train back to your ship from Roma Termini and save so valuable transit time.

Hope everything is clear now.

I need even more help

There seems to several stations listed for Civitavecchia. Which is closest to the dock? Is that the one I should use?

Please explain the comment about using the express train for the return trip but with a ticket that was for use on any train in case of delay or early return.

Thanks so much

1:)

There is only the station CIVITAVECCHIA when you use Trenitalia's website.

When you buy a BIRG-ticket you are not entitled to use the Express trains.

In a case of missing the train you can only use a regional train.

If you buy a Trenitalia-ticket for all trains you can use any trains.

If you miss the Express train you can just use the next train: express or regional train. Only your reservation is invalid for the next train.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Ship arrives in Civ at 7AM. (Friday, October 5, 2007)

What is the name of the station out of Civ (nearest the pier)?

B.I.R.G. sounds great, however, since unable to use the IC trains this option may not be the best.

If you don't have B.I.R.G. then what do you miss out on? Is it better to have the B.I.R.G ticket?

When using the Trenitalia website, should we use this for info only or would it be best to buy tickets now, before the trip?

Thanks.

What is the name of the station out of Civ (nearest the pier)?

just Civitavecchia!!!

B.I.R.G. sounds great, however, since unable to use the IC trains this option may not be the best.

If you don't have B.I.R.G. then what do you miss out on? Is it better to have the B.I.R.G ticket?.

Some questions:

If you want only to go to St. Peter there is no IC train running.

Only if you want to go to Rome City Center and will need to use the station Roma Termini.

If you want to use hop-on-hop-off buses or you have a private tour starting in Rome you will not need to have a day pass for subway and buses. Therefore you will not need a BIRG ticket either.

Alternative option: BIG ticket (4 EUR) + "normal" train tickets from Civitavecchia - Rome - Civitavecchia. This will give you the same flexibility like BIRG-ticket but only subway+bus limited to Rome City Limits + flexibility to use IC trains.

When using the Trenitalia website, should we use this for info only or would it be best to buy tickets now, before the trip?./quote]

As I hate regional trains stopping at every farm house and I know that I prefer to return by IC trains and I hate especially long queues of cruisers who wants to catch all the same train in Civitavecchia:

it was great to have the ticket bought in advance in the internet.

But no BIRG ticket available!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks.

Last summer, my family used the BIRG ticket, but on our return journey we puurchased a supplement at the Central Rome station to go by express, which then arrived late, due to a breakdown!

I would stress to allow plenty of time for the return journey.

I have just tried to obtain train times from Civitavecchia to Rome, on 25 August, 2007. Whatever I do I cannot find any departures prior to 09.22. The Trenitalia site doesn't appear to list the regional trains, either. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place?

Sorry for having confused you:

Civitavechhia is enroute of the long-distance line from Genoa to Rome.

I. e. there some tram-routes you can use from Civitavechhia to Rome:

Minute behind the hour (with some exceptions / based on Monday Mar 12, 2007)

02 = regional train - starts in Civitavecchia stops at all stations incl. Roma S. Pietro (transit time 55 minutes) and Termini (76 minutes)

22 = InterCity (Express) train - starts in Genoa (or other places) arrives at Civitavecchia at 20 and continue WITHOUT stop in Roma S. Pietro and goes with one stop at another Rome suburb station to Termini (52 minutes)

41 = regional train - starts in Pisa arrives at Civitavechhia at minute 40 and continue with some stops but incl. Roma S. Pietro (46 minutes) and Termini (69 minutes)

NORMALLY there should be abt. 3 trains per hours to Rome but only Regional Trains (indicated with "R") will stop at Roma S. Pietro. Trains indicated with "IC" are long-distance express trains which do not stop at Roma S. Pietro.

During the rush hour there are additonal connections which do not fit to this schedule by hour. And it could be that some hours are skipped or small time deviation for single hours.

But check for your specific day at http://www.trenitalia.com.

Just for your information: Schedule change in Europe June 10, 2007.

So if you need connections after June 10, 2007 check after April 2007 again.

Now: if you use a BIRG-ticket (day pass incl. public transport in Rome) you are entitled to use the Regional trains only. You cannot use the IC (long-distance-express-trains).

If you have no BIRG-ticket and you want to go to S. Pietro first you use a Regional train to Roma S. Pietro and have a seperate ticket.

If you want to return from Roma Termini back to Civitavecchia and have no BIRG-Ticket you can use ANY train - Regional and IC (long-distance-express) and have a sperate ticket.

ONCE AGAIN:

All suggestions are for

Civitavecchia - Roma S. Pietro (by Regional train)

Roma Termini - Civitavecchia (by IC Long-distance-express-train)

and only apply to those travellers who do not use a so-called BIRG ticket!!!

You are entering Rome from the West.

St. Peter is West of Rome City Center.

This suggestion is subject that you start your individual Rome tour eastbound after St. Peter and do not return to St. Peter to catch your train.

So you just enter the train back to your ship from Roma Termini and save so valuable transit time.

Hope everything is clear now.

Help me understand(one more novice on board) We would like to take a train from the port and go to the Vaitican museum. We want to tour the museum which eventually ends up at St. Peters ( I believe) and then take the train back to port. Which trains do I need to accomplish this feat! Also is that way reasonable or should we do it the opposite way?

I have just tried to obtain train times from Civitavecchia to Rome, on 25 August, 2007. Whatever I do I cannot find any departures prior to 09.22. The Trenitalia site doesn't appear to list the regional trains, either. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place?

I would highly recommend to wait until 10 June 2007 before checking the schedule.

Due to inauguration of High-Speed-Train Line in France the whole European schedule is supposed to change on 10 June 2007.

Therefore it could be that not all train operators already maintained their schedules in the complete European schedules.

1st are international and other long-distance trains.

then the regional trains must find slots in between.

That's the reason why you currently find only the connections with the long-distance trains.

I am sure Mid/End of May the final should be available!

Help me understand(one more novice on board) We would like to take a train from the port and go to the Vaitican museum. We want to tour the museum which eventually ends up at St. Peters ( I believe) and then take the train back to port. Which trains do I need to accomplish this feat! Also is that way reasonable or should we do it the opposite way?

Vatican = St. Peter

Regards,

HeinBloed

We're on RCI BOS visiting here in May and just had the cruise co ships tour brochure. They list a special excursion from the pier station, stopping at Civitavecchia station then on to St Peters, and returning later to the pier/dock station. Is this station open to the public or is it normally just used for dock/freight traffic only?? I can see what Heinbloed says that only one station listed on timetables etc yet there seems to be another one according to RCI?? Just curious!

Hi,

I think that this is a so-called private rail access for freight and charters.

There is no public trains running.

So if RCI is offering a charter train direct from the pier: use it!

Out of the Railways Software:

Next stations to Civitavecchia:

2007CitavStation-vi.jpg

So S. Marinella is already enroute to Rome.

No closer PUBLIC station according to Railways Database.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you for your reply! The trip costs £87 per person!!!! The train is described as a luxury train but as my husband and I can go on the trains for free/discounted (we have staff passes) I think we will suffer the walk to the local train station!

Archived