Tauranga/Rotorua Questions

Brookeh424

Let's see, I've been talk to Ian about doing a tour on April 6th, but I was wondering if we know exactly what we want to do...has anyone just rented a car?

We are mainly interested in Wai-O-Tapu and then the gondola/luge at Mt. M......not interested in the Te Puia Maori Concert...so we are thinking these activities shoudl only take a few hours and may be easier on our own.

Thoughts?

This is the other port where we rented a car. We rented from a local company, Pegasus, who brought the cars right to the ship. If you go with the U.S. companies, you'll have to take a taxi to their locations (as we discovered with Avis). If you reserve in advance with Pegasus, the rate will be less than if you wait until that day.

Very easy to do on your own - the driving is very easy, not that much traffic, in fact very little compared to North America. Wai-O-Tapu is pretty cool but you'll likely have seen enough after about 2 hours max leaving plenty of time to do your own thing. Enjoy!

I would highly recommend taking a private tour if you can. There is so much to see from this port and having someone taking you around that knows where to go and when will help you to see a lot more of this wonderful port. Since I won't be cruising New Zealand on a regular basis, like I can the Caribbean, I wanted to see as much as possible. The one tour we took where our group rented a van, we ended up missing some of the sights we had planned to see. We had a great time anyway, but it is easy to get lost and not know the best way to fit in what needs to be done.

Tuaranga is a beautiful port, the ship docks very close to the Mount Manganui township. It is walking distance to the main shopping strip and to the wonderful beaches with lots of cafes along the beach front. We also walked the base of Mount Manganui which took about 1 hour. If you want to do a tour there where numerous locals with small tour vans waiting at the entry to the port area willing to take you to various locations and much cheaper than anything offered by Princess, there was also a tourist information shop just outside the wharf area.

Have a great trip.

Mark & Matt

To Matmar,

We are scheduled for a cruise to Australia and NZ. We have made an inquiry with Supa Tours in Tauranga for the day. I read where you have stated that there are many taxis at the dock offering tours. We are a group of 10, and the tour company has offered a large van for our group. Do you think that there would be large vans at the dock? Thank you!

Kia Ora Folks,

If you're in Tauranga for the day, it's easy to rent a car in advance over the internet (NZ Rent a Car, Pegasus (as previously mentioned) and where I got a car cheap with insurance, Rent a Dent, where it was NZ$50/day.

Most of these you can book online, and I've found that the NZ companies are much better rates than the folks at Hertz and Avis who can charge you in the neighborhood of NZ$79/day without insurance.

Driving in NZ is not difficult with an automatic. Standards take about 3 blocks to get used to shifting with the left hand.

The highway southwest from Tauranga/Mt Maunganui to Rotorua is an excellent highway and well paved. Roads (even highways) tend to be mostly 2 lanes with passing lanes near hills.

Rather than go to Wai o Tapu in Rotorua, I would recommend Te Puia Thermal Wonderland. It's a shame that the ships don't stay later in the evening in Tauranga, as the Tamaki Maori Village is probably the best exhibition of Maori culture and song on the North Island.

Mt Maunganui was nice 30 years ago when there was just a little pub at the bottom of the domain (Mt Maunganui). Now it is a thriving beach resort town that is a "tourist trap". You really should take the opportunity to see the geo-thermal area near Rotorua if it's the only time you'll be in that part of the world.

Ciao for now!!!

I lived in Rotorua for 2 years, These are the things I would look at

about a 30 to 40 minute drive to Rotorua. 60 minutes for tourists

Gondola/Luge. yeah do it. its a hoot even for these old bones

$39NZ gondola ride up and 5 luge rides. chairlift takes you up after each ride. there is a fast and a slow track (do 2 slow ones then 3 fast ones)

http://www.skylineskyrides.co.nz/

Rainbow Springs (right next door to the gondola)

well worth a browse around if you have seen New Zealand animals and fauna

http://www.rainbowsprings.co.nz/home.asp

Mud and boiling stuff. Kuirau Park which is just beside the main shopping area has lots of hot water and boiling mud and is very very free.

If you want to pay I would keep it nice and close and go to Whakarewarewa which is just on the city limits and get the mud geysers and culture all rolled into one $20NZ per adult

Waiotapu is like half way to Taupo which would be another 30 minutes south of Rotorua

http://www.tikitouring.co.nz/rotorua-whakarewarewa.htm

The Government Gardens + Museum + Blue Baths

Well worth a wander aroud the gardens. The Museum is on the must see list. Pretty sure its about $5NZ which also lets you look around the Blue Baths

http://www.rotoruanz.com/information/parksandreserves/GovernmentGardens.asp

Last on the list before the drive back

Unwind and soak in the thermal pools

http://www.polynesianspa.co.nz/

These are some of the attractions we liked when we lived there. I hope this helps

:)

• 3 weeks later...

hi mipps, hope you read this.

we visited whaakarewa which was fantastic. Our guide said it is owned by the villagers and showed us how the village cooks and washes using the thermal springs. She also mentioned that the government took possession of most of their land to form te pia is that right?

thye also put on a wonderful cultural show and photo ops with their "warriors" we ended up not going to te puia as we saw the geyser and show at whakarewa.

we also visited the hidden village again with a very knowlegable local which doesnt seem to get much coverage but a lovely drive near the blue lake(hope i am getting my places correct)we even made the trek down to the waterfall not sure how i managed to get back....hard work

this was a self drive vvisit and certainly has whet my appetite to come back for a longer visit. I think you could stay a week here and not see everything, just around the lake was wonderful

karon

kaseyoz it was wonderful living there. I did not want to leave.

you get used to the smell in the end ..... honest

I gather you ment the Buried Village? thats a must see if you are in staying in Rotorua for a few days. It brings home how close we are in New Zealand to very destructive volcanoes.

http://www.buriedvillage.co.nz/

Yes beautiful walking around those lakes. The Blue Lake, Lake Tikitapu you can swim in. The Green, Lake Rotokakahi remains out of bounds as Tapu (sacred). A rule which is respected by both Pakeha (European) and Maori alike.

Our favorite day trip with the kids was to grab plastic sheets and take a drive to Taupo for breakfast in front of the lake and then onto to Mount Ruapehu ski fields (one of those very destructive volcanoes). We would get as cold as Iceblocks and then drive back to the "secret locals only" hot pools in Rotorua. cost ... 1 tank of gas :p

so close to everything there. glad you enjoyed it as much as we did

:)

• 1 month later...
This is the other port where we rented a car. We rented from a local company, Pegasus, who brought the cars right to the ship. If you go with the U.S. companies, you'll have to take a taxi to their locations (as we discovered with Avis). If you reserve in advance with Pegasus, the rate will be less than if you wait until that day.

Thanks for this suggestion!!! Have been looking at the Rotorua site and it looks quite easy to go where we want. We drive on the left so driving won't be a problem. :)

• 1 month later...
Let's see, I've been talk to Ian about doing a tour on April 6th, but I was wondering if we know exactly what we want to do...has anyone just rented a car?

We are mainly interested in Wai-O-Tapu and then the gondola/luge at Mt. M......not interested in the Te Puia Maori Concert...so we are thinking these activities shoudl only take a few hours and may be easier on our own.

Thoughts?

I just wonder if you did use Ian for your tour from Tauranga. Could you supply me with the web address, or a way to contact him. Many thanks.

We are cruisisng Sydney to Auckland on Mercury Jan 2008.

Mike,

I read your whole report when we first booked our Down Under cruises...now that we're planning shore excursions will refer to your recommendations frequently. Thanks so much for such a thorough Web site and for continuing to stay on the boards as an 'expert'!

I love reading your reviews and i live here although we did do the sapphire NZ cruise which is why i found your reviews in the first place.

i see you have a venice one posted now, will have to go and have a read.

thanks for the time. Even if we dont do the cruises they are lovely to read and dream about that next one!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mike & Carol....

I just wanted to tell you how nice your site is. I am going down under on Mercury in Feb 2008 and came across it while was poking around the Ports of Call threads here. You did a beautiful job on it and its obvious a lot of time & thought went into it. I put it in a post on the thread for the NZ/Aust cruise I'll be on & they are enjoying it too. Thank you so much for sharing it!

Sheila

Archived