Half Moon Cay HMC Cabana Review

AnnArborJC

DH and I were just on the Elation (2/26 sailing) and were lucky enough to rent the Yellow Cabana on Half Moon Cay. Here’s a bit about how it worked and what it was like. We got on the ship at about 1 pm and I noticed people were already lined up at the Excursion desk. We immediately got in line and the 2 groups in front of us were also signing up for cabanas! I know they sold out quickly, but I’m not sure when. They don’t have any listing of cabana colors available, you either need to know the color you want or they will assign you one. The cost was $199.00 for up to 4 people. When we signed up we needed to note the number of people, shoe sizes for snorkel gear and drink choices (pop/water types). The instructions on the Shore Excursion paper noted we should report to the Cole Porter Lounge at 9:45 am the day we were at HMC. When we arrived at the lounge that day, we were given two #2 tender stickers by just saying we had a cabana (they didn’t check our tickets or anything). We then got on the tender and very quickly got started over and were soon at our paradise, Half Moon Cay.

When you arrive at HMC, have your excursion ticket with you, report to the Information Building to the left immediately after entering the ‘gate’ and tell them the color of your Cabana (if you know it). They will direct you to the truck that will drive you to your cabana. When they drop you off they will ask what time you’d like to be picked up. You will most likely want to stay as LONG AS YOU CAN, so plan accordingly.

We arrived at our cabana and found the following… Food and Drinks: A cooler with 8 diet coke cans and 2 large Evian Water bottles on ice. A tray with 4 small bowls filled with sour cream, salsa, guacamole, and veggie dip, a tray of veggies, a tray of sliced fruit (green melon, cantaloupe, pineapple and watermelon) , a large bag of Tostitos tortilla chips, and about 10 oranges in a bowl. Also included was an ice bucket, a large stack of heavy duty paper plates, napkins and plastic silverware. There is also a small fridge where we placed the dips and fruit until we ate them. Some notes about the food. There was an ant problem on the back counter. Keep that in mind when putting items that ants find interesting on it. The ants never went to the table in the center of the cabana. Shortly after we arrived a beautiful yellow breasted bird arrived and perch on the fruit platter. All of the trays were covered with plastic wrap, so we thought nothing of it and watched. The bird proceeded to start to peck thru the wrap! He’d done this before! We shooed him away and transferred the fruit to a smaller plate so it could fit in the fridge. The bird never bothered the veggies.

There was a large table in the covered part of the cabana with 4 chairs, 2 extra beach towels, 2 adjustable padded lounge chairs on the deck, 2 ‘misters’, a fresh water shower, 4 blue foam floats and 2 sets of snorkel gear. The cabana has an air conditioner (which we did not use) and a ceiling fan. In the morning the deck area was shady but in the afternoon the sun is full on and the deck is very sunny. The further down the beach you go, the less crowded it is, so if you want privacy you should try to rent #15 Mauve (furthest), #14 Red, #13 Terra Cotta, #12 Yellow, #11 Lt Purple or #10 Green. From there down, the beach was very busy.

Since there were only two of us, we just ate the food in the cabana, rested, relaxed and enjoyed our paradise until about 4:45 pm. We didn’t go to the BBQ. The last tender was at 5 pm. Besides the bird(s) we also had some small lizards visit us, so be careful where you step! We both enjoyed the crystal clear water, the powder sand so much that we know we will never forget our day March 1, 2007 at Half Moon Cay.

I could post some photos - if you are interested in something specific.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you so much for the review. We are going on the Liberty next year (seems so far away) and I think I would like to have a cabana. Knowing the information they ask for in advance is really helpful!! Thanks also for the color information!

We didn't walk down to the food area, but I don't think it's too far...

Per the itinerary we are at HMC 9:30-6, but the last tender for passengers leaves the island at 5 pm. We were actually there (physically on the island) about 10 am to 4:45 pm.

I'm jealous! We would love to go back. We wrote on our comment card that if they offer a 3 day stay anchored at HMC, we are booked!

I hope you can help...we are cruising in 2 weeks and want to rent a cabana. We are 2 adults, a 7 y/o and a 4y/o. We have friends that are going who might share this with is, who also have 2 adults, and a 10 y/o. Would they charge us for 4, or would they charge us for 7? Or, should we just book it, pay for it, then let them split it with us?

In your opinion, is there enough food for all of us? From reading what you said, there should be enough....right?

I hope you can help...we are cruising in 2 weeks and want to rent a cabana. We are 2 adults, a 7 y/o and a 4y/o. We have friends that are going who might share this with is, who also have 2 adults, and a 10 y/o. Would they charge us for 4, or would they charge us for 7? Or, should we just book it, pay for it, then let them split it with us?

In your opinion, is there enough food for all of us? From reading what you said, there should be enough....right?

There is an additional charge for each person above 4, so you or your friends will have to pay. I think that if you aren't honest upfront, you will still get charged for the extra people afterwards. If you pay for all the people that use the cabana, I would think they would provide enough food. You can easily just walk to the BBQ and get more food as well.

We were also on the Elation 2/26 !

We had the Terra Cotta cabana, same day as you, AnnArbourJC ! (we were the ones with 3 kids all dressed in matching sun-protection outfits and big sunhats!!! i see one or 2 of them in a couple of your beach photos!)

It was heaven, couldn't have asked for a better day, and having the cabana was so awesome, we thought it was so worth it! We loved the snacks included!! i was definetely happy with having chosen a cabana farther away from the main area because it was much less crowded, which is just how we like it!! the only thing about the terra cotta cabana that we weren't happy about was that there was not one of those sun-shades that you could pull down at the front, which didn't make any difference until about 3pm when there was sun pouring into the cabana, the only shade left was the back wall and counter and maybe 1 foot or less in front of that, so it got pretty hot in there later in the day. we actually didn't ever mention this to any carnival excursion staff although I had planned to, it kinda slipped my mind.... it could be fixed by now, not sure.

Just a note: We had bought 3 pail/shovel sets before boarding the ship and we left them behind in the terra cotta cabana, inside the cabinets hoping someone else with little kids might find them(!?), i assume (hope) that staff would leave them there if they found them...

as far as walking distance to the washrooms/food area I would guess that it was about 5 minutes walk (a lot longer for us with a 2 yr old!!)

HMC was a wonderful little island, a fabulous beach day :D

I thought another Cruise Critic member was in Terra Cotta! When I signed up they said the only cabana specifically requested so far was Terra Cotta. How many people other than CC's know the names! Your kids were very well behaved and I agree that the quieter end of the beach was a real plus. Too bad about no shade for your cabana.

We wish more of Carnival's ships went to HMC!

Too funny about thinking it had to be a CC member requesting a specific colour cabana!! Reading these boards was what convinced dh and I that we absolutely HAD to get a cabana for HMC so we literally lined up at the shore excursion desk when we boarded the ship at about 12:30 to make sure we got one!

Thanks for the comment about our kids being well behaved- they often give us a hard time at home but i have to say they do really travel well, no problems at all with them on this cruise, including eating in the dining room once or twice a day!

it is too bad more ships don't go to hmc, i loved this cruise so much i'd consider the same itinerary and same ship- but i guess that will not happen!!

;)

Based on the sun position when we were there - take your photos towards the water in the morning or noontime. In the afternoon you are taking the photos into the sun and they don't turn out as well showing the ship and the water colors...

The Yellow Cabana had the shade you could roll down....

I'm SOOO JEALOUS! Huband and I are looking at a Triumph trip next year so we can go to HMC again!

Thanks for the tip on the photos! I'm one of those that takes thousands while on vacation. lol

Just an idea...the Freedom that I'm booked on has a great itinerary that includes HMC. It leaves April 19th out of Miami. You'll also get to visit Grand Turk, St Thomas and San Juan (a daytime visit, not the usual night visit). It'd be great to be cabana neighbors! ;)

Archived