Half Moon Cay HMC Cabana Review

AnnArborJC

Thanks so much for the cabana anf HMC general questions. I never would have thought of renting a cabana; it seems so extravagant!

We are a family of 5, so I am interested in what it costs to add a 5th to the cabana rental. She's 4 yrs. old, but we wouldn't need extra equipment or food - if that matters.

We booked this intinerary especially for the private island experience.

If we booked 2 clamshells, 4 chairs, 4 float mats, 2 snorkeling sets, and purchased 6 waters while on HMC; wouldn't that equal close to the same as renting a cabana (without the convenience!)?

If I have a fountain card for unlimited sodas on the ship, will this be honored on HMC?

Thanks so much. I think this will be my favorite port!

Just off of the Elation and rented a cabana on HMC. We are a family of five, one being 3 1/2 and when told his age, were not charged extra because he would not be using the snorkeling gear or float.

A wonderful day. Beautiful Island: Paradise. :) IMHO the cabana was definitely worth every penny and would do it again if the opportunity arises.

I would assume the fountain fun card would be honored, but can't say for sure. In renting the cabana, soft drinks and waters were provided, so had no need to show our card.

Whatever you decide to do, hope you have a great time. Can't see any way that you wouldn't.

We're going to be there on Sunday!! Yippeee!!

I've booked the taupe cabana, which my family knows about... what they don't know is I'm splurging for the Butler upgrade to suprise DH with. Hey... it's HIS first vacation in 10 years, so it's gotta be good :D

I'll be sure to report back afterwards!!!

Caroline in TO

new2cruising2008 -

here are prices

Beach/Water Float - $9 full day

Snorkel Gear Rental Adult - $16 full day

Snorkel Gear Rental Child - $10 full day

Clam Shell Sunshade Rental - $19 full day

Your fountain fun cards should work - but you have to go get your drinks vs having them there with a fridge. Keep in mind you also get the food, drinks, plus the fresh water shower, and cushioned chairs, etc.

Extra person is normally $50 but since not getting an extra float, etc they may not charge you as Parrothead experienced.

I found it WELL worth the cost. Keep in mind, 15 cabanas and 2000 people. They sell out FAST!

Have fun

Caroline, that's SO great! Be sure to let us know how he liked it...and how you all liked the cabana!

AnnArborJC, thanks for the prices! For 2 adults we're looking at $69 for the snorkel gear, floating mats and shell. $31 more isn't bad to have the food, privacy, a/c, etc.

Do you remember which cabana was closest to the bathrooms and food? My dad is handicap and can not walk long distances in the sand. Which cabana would you recommend???

Thanks -- by the way we set sail on May 7th.

Julie M.

This Photo shows the cabanas in order. I think the Turquoise Cabana is the one you want, or one on either side as a second choice.

Caroline, that's SO great! Be sure to let us know how he liked it...and how you all liked the cabana!

AnnArborJC, thanks for the prices! For 2 adults we're looking at $69 for the snorkel gear, floating mats and shell. $31 more isn't bad to have the food, privacy, a/c, etc.

My math skills were lacking today......I mean $131 more. :rolleyes:

Denycejac26 -

my description and prices are for Carnival. They don't offer a butler option. Holland America charges more $249 and also has an addl fee for a butler...

tmtip!!

How was everything at the yellow cabana? Did you have the little lizard with the curly tail as a visitor?

Sigh - dreaming of HMC...

Do you remember which cabana was closest to the bathrooms and food? My dad is handicap and can not walk long distances in the sand. Which cabana would you recommend???

Thanks -- by the way we set sail on May 7th.

Julie M.

We were in the turquoise cabana, and it's right next to the stairs that lead to the walkway...which leads to the restrooms. I have a bad knee (arthritis), and I can't walk for a long distance in sand, which is why we picked the turquoise cabana. But any of them in that area would be close to the restrooms...the taupe, blue, turquoise, orange, and sky blue would be closest. I'd probably stay away from the taupe because it's the first one, and people tended to be bunched-up in that area. But if it came down to the taupe, or one a bit down the way, I'd take the taupe becuase it is right near the restrooms.

We also picked the turquoise because there is a tree next to it. We wanted to make sure we had shade in the afternoon. The orange one (next to us) didn't have a tree, so the decking was in the sun.

• 1 month later...

These cabanas sound FANTASTIC! I am going on the Triumph next January, but my question is regarding the prices. I see that the cost is $199 for up to 4 people and then I saw where someone else said it costs $50 extra pp for more than 4 people. I am going with a group of about 17 people. There will be 9 adults and 8 children...by children I mean within the ages of 18-25. I thought this would be a great place for "home base" while everyone is doing their swimming, parasailing and snorkeling and for the adults who don't care to do that sort of thing, they can just relax and stay at the cabana. However the cost would be $850...is it still worth it or would it be better to get 2 or 3 cabanas (assuming we can rush to the excursion desk to rent them) or would it be better to try and get the grand cabana???? I'm pretty sure we'll eat a HUGE breakfast on the ship and possibly partake in the BBQ. I don't think people would mind paying for their own drinks and only the children would even want the snorkel gear. Should we just lie and tell them there will only be 8 of us, especially since the kids will probably be all over the place???? What's the best option for us?

Keep these cards and letters coming! Need more info: sky blue cabana? butler service? Is this (butler service) worth it for only two? Would you book again? Give us more...:)

We loved the butler service...but if it were just the two of us, I don't know that I'd have the butler again. If it were just the two of us, we'd just sit in the cabana and read. We're not big sun people (these days) and hubby does not like to snorkel, so for us, just sitting there, would be fine for us. Plus, the BBQ would be fine. We had a light breakfast on the ship, and by the time we had some of the munchies in the cabana...we were pretty full. The food they brought was really wonderful...but once we got past the appetizer and lobster sandwiches...we were really stuffed and there was more food to come.

We did end up inviting a couple with us to share the cabana...and we had a ball with them. We ended up playing a couple of games of Cranium, and had a couple of drinks.

Either way...it was fun. The upside to the butler is you have someone to schlep your things, and keep an eye on things should you go off and do an excursion or get in the water. We also had a couple of people come up and try and use the shower, and the butler explained the situation to them. I think a lot of people thought these were just open to whoever wanted to use them...even though there is a sign that says otherwise.

So if you plan on going off and using the water, I'd probably have one. They kept an eye on our things when we went to the restrooms, which was nice.

These cabanas sound FANTASTIC! I am going on the Triumph next January, but my question is regarding the prices. I see that the cost is $199 for up to 4 people and then I saw where someone else said it costs $50 extra pp for more than 4 people. I am going with a group of about 17 people. There will be 9 adults and 8 children...by children I mean within the ages of 18-25. I thought this would be a great place for "home base" while everyone is doing their swimming, parasailing and snorkeling and for the adults who don't care to do that sort of thing, they can just relax and stay at the cabana. However the cost would be $850...is it still worth it or would it be better to get 2 or 3 cabanas (assuming we can rush to the excursion desk to rent them) or would it be better to try and get the grand cabana???? I'm pretty sure we'll eat a HUGE breakfast on the ship and possibly partake in the BBQ. I don't think people would mind paying for their own drinks and only the children would even want the snorkel gear. Should we just lie and tell them there will only be 8 of us, especially since the kids will probably be all over the place???? What's the best option for us?

The big cabana looked nice, but I think it was $1,200 or so.

I'd probably try and get one or two cabanas and just snag several of the loungers that are in front of the cabanas. The cabanas aren't that big. You can get four around the table inside, and there is really only room for 2 more on the loungers.

Thanks for great response twinkletoes! We'll probably "make do" :) with the BBQ. Great information. Thanks again.

Getting the cabana is the most important thing...the BBQ or the butler, it doesn't really matter to me. Either would be fine for us. And I would have probably enjoyed just having a burger and some fruit. We were just too stuffed after eating the items the butler brought. In fact, I only ate part of everything (except the dessert, lol) and I remember one of them asking me if everything was fine. It was, but it was really just too much food. The champagne was nice, but we're not big drinkers. So one or two pina coladas and some BBQ would have been fine.

Here's Ziggy's pictures from HMC. The blue cabana is in several pictures. I must have looked at her pictures at least once a day, prior to our cruise.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/310184391qmbGBl

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/408974717jKHbAe

http://travel.webshots.com/album/545430035SNnJOv

Have a great time!

So is food from the BBQ included when you and reserve a cabana? Or what if you don't reserve a cabana....is food sold there, or is it included because it is a private island owned by Carnival? Thanks

When we first arrived in our cabin on the ship, there was a form to fill out for the cabana. You're able to select the soft drinks you want (I think it was 2 cans per person) and they also provide bottled water. They also asked info about shoe sizes...for snorkel equipment.

We also found a plate of fruit, chips and dip waiting for us in the cabana when we arrived.

Since we had the butler, none of the drinks we ordered we there. The butlers went and retrieved whatever we wanted.

The BBQ is for provided at no cost for everyone...including those in the cabanas. They also sold drinks (beer, pina coladas, etc) on the island. If you have a butler, then they will bring you your lunch (which you selected from a menu earlier in the week).

If you want to do any shopping, there is a small gift shop on the island and you can use your ship card (we were on HAL and we used ours). It's not a big shop, but they the usual island souvenirs. There were also some items available in shops that were next to this building. They are more of an open-air market type thing. I believe they wanted cash if you made a purchase.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the information and pictures on the cabana's!!! After seeing a picture on another thread of "Aunt Ruth" who is 90? 94? and she was in the water!!!! I am definitely going to try to get one when we go on the Carnival Triumph March 2008. My mother will be 79 that month and she too cannot walk that far, so the closer to the restrooms, the better for me.

I can always go to the BBQ and bring her food back. I'm assuming as there will be 6 of us, it will cost me approximately $299.

Thanks for all the info!

Thanks for all the information and pictures on the cabana's!!! After seeing a picture on another thread of "Aunt Ruth" who is 90? 94? and she was in the water!!!! I am definitely going to try to get one when we go on the Carnival Triumph March 2008. My mother will be 79 that month and she too cannot walk that far, so the closer to the restrooms, the better for me.

I can always go to the BBQ and bring her food back. I'm assuming as there will be 6 of us, it will cost me approximately $299.

Thanks for all the info!

The turquoise cabana is right next to the steps, so any of those right in that area would be a good choice for your mom. I also found the "Aunt Ruth" pictures prior to our cruise. I can't tell you how many times I looked at those each day. We even booked a cabin like they had and I looked at those pictures...over and over.

Have a good time! Our first cruise was on the Triumph...and I have such wonderful memories from that cruise. :)

Archived