Half Moon Cay HMC Cabana Review

AnnArborJC

Bruce-r probably would be the one who could help you with that info. If he doesn't see your post, you could start a new thread. I'm sure he'll have the answer for you. :)

Here's his website with his pictures. I love looking at them all, but the underwater ones are really cool. I just wish I had the nerve to scuba dive. Snorkeling is about it for me...

http://www.brobertson.org/

Which one would be good to have around the swimming area, but also have trees to shade the afternoon sun?

The turquoise cabana had a tree to the left (if you're standing in the cabana looking out toward the water). This was another reason we chose this cabana...we wanted shade in the afternoon.

I looked at the pictures that were posted (see the links above in other posts) and was able to determine which cabanas had a tree next to them, and wich did not.

The turquoise cabana had a tree to the left (if you're standing in the cabana looking out toward the water). This was another reason we chose this cabana...we wanted shade in the afternoon.

I looked at the pictures that were posted (see the links above in other posts) and was able to determine which cabanas had a tree next to them, and wich did not.

Thank you!

I've read a review that said each cabana has a "cabana boy" that services more than one cabana at a time, and the review didn't think the butler was a necessary service, since the cabana boy would get them the stuff they needed, even food from the BBQ... Is this just an old review or did they have someone working all the cabanas? I didn't see anyone here mention a person coming around and offering help, restocking drinks, etc.

I've read a review that said each cabana has a "cabana boy" that services more than one cabana at a time, and the review didn't think the butler was a necessary service, since the cabana boy would get them the stuff they needed, even food from the BBQ... Is this just an old review or did they have someone working all the cabanas? I didn't see anyone here mention a person coming around and offering help, restocking drinks, etc.

I think it's an old review. At some point, the cabana guys quit fetching the BBQ for the people in the cabanas. And from what I've read, the cabana guys are hit and miss. Sometimes they are there and they'll get your drinks, sometimes they aren't.

That's part of the reason we went with the butler. I would imagine someone within HAL pobably thought this would increase the number of butler's people reserved...and it did work that way for us. We didn't want to have to run for anything.

But the cabana is really nice...even without the butler. :)

Thanks! That is very helpful. I want to rent a cabana (my next cruise is going to be Eastern Caribbean) and I want to be as far away as I can from the hustle and bustle of the beach. In the pictures the cabanas look like they are pretty close together, so I don't know exactly how far a walk the buffet would be. I am not adverse to some walking, but the thought of treking a ways with plates of food isn't exactly the relaxation I had in mind. LOL

What kind of food do they have at the buffet? Hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken with trimmings? Desserts?

My husband and I will be going to half moon cay on Oct. We have never been here before so any onfo would be very helpful. Which Cabana should we rent and since we will be on Carnival how do we rent these. This is our anniversary trip so We are very much looking forward to some alone time and relaxing in the Sun...thanks for any help.

Thanks! That is very helpful. I want to rent a cabana (my next cruise is going to be Eastern Caribbean) and I want to be as far away as I can from the hustle and bustle of the beach. In the pictures the cabanas look like they are pretty close together, so I don't know exactly how far a walk the buffet would be. I am not adverse to some walking, but the thought of treking a ways with plates of food isn't exactly the relaxation I had in mind. LOL

What kind of food do they have at the buffet? Hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken with trimmings? Desserts?

If you want to be away from it all, I'd probably pick the dark green, yellow or brown one. I think there are even some new ones down on that end...maybe a peach one.

I don't know how far it is, but it's not too far to the last cabana. The cabanas are pretty close to one another. Not too close...but you can see what's going on in the next cabana when you are on the patio portion of the cabana.

The pink or the purple ones are pretty much in the middle. Not too far, but not wear the bigger crowds would be. We were in the turquoise, and it was right below the restroom and next to the stairs. The BBQ was also right in that area, although we didn't use it since we had the butler.

The day we were there, we were the only ship and it was not crowded at all.

From the pictures I've seen of the BBQ, it looks like hot dogs, handburders, fried chicken, slaw, fruit, desserts...things like that. It looked good.

Have a wonderful time on HMC. It's so pretty and the sand is so soft and white. :)

My husband and I will be going to half moon cay on Oct. We have never been here before so any onfo would be very helpful. Which Cabana should we rent and since we will be on Carnival how do we rent these. This is our anniversary trip so We are very much looking forward to some alone time and relaxing in the Sun...thanks for any help.

I'd start with looking at Ziggy's page. We picked the turquoise cabana because there was a tree next to it. We didn't really want the afternoon shade, so if this is something you do want, you might choose one that doesn't have a tree next to it.

http://www.webshots.com/search?query=ziggy+hmc&new=1&source=chromeheader

Right now, on Carnival, you'll have to wait until you get on the ship to book the cabana. I'd make a beeline for the excursion desk as soon as it's open. You might pick several cabanas that you like in case there are people in front of you. But really, any cabana is a good cabana.

There's a website somewhere, I have it but I'll have to hunt for it...but you can check the ports and see what other ships will be there with you. If you are the only ship, probably any would be good. If there are more than one, and you want privacy, I'd shoot for the purple or pink or beyond.

The taupe one (the first one) will have the most traffic around it. There will be people who think that the shower in the cabana is public, so the more you get away from the crowds, the less people that will walk up and want to use your shower. We only had one person who did this...and even though it was posted...they didn't see the sign. It was really no big deal, but I just thought I'd let you know if this happens, it doesn't come as a surprise.

The first ones (I think they're taupe, and the one next to it, don't know the color, turquoise, orange, and sky blue) will be the ones that are closest to the food and restrooms. Then the next ones are the purple, pink, green, and some others...they'd be a bit farther down, but even so, they're not too far away. The cabanas are fairly close together.

Have a great anniversary and I hope you snag a cabana!

Where is the Grand Cabanas located? We have a group of 20 who are interested in getting one. Also does anyone know if theres anyway to get to the cabanas with a wheelchair? I can have someone carry me if not

You'll see the grand cabana as you're heading toward the island. It's at the very beginning of the area where the beach area starts. I'm not sure about a wheelchair access at the grand cabana...but I do remember there being a path that led to the GC. Maybe someone who has actually been there will come along with the info you are looking for.

I think it would be hard to get to the other cabanas with a wheelchair, but I have seen this discussed before, I just can't remember the details. There is a path for the tram that takes you to the cabanas, but you have to walk down steps or a somewhat steep incline to get to the cabana. We were in the turquoise cabana, but it might be differnt as you move on down the beach.

I've read posts where someone has mentioned a sand wheelchair that you can rent or borrow. It also might be possible to enter the beach area from a different location that will allow you to use your own wheelchair.

Hopefully someone will come along with more detailed answers.

Enjoy your day on HMC. :)

You'll see the grand cabana as you're heading toward the island. It's at the very beginning of the area where the beach area starts. I'm not sure about a wheelchair access at the grand cabana...but I do remember there being a path that led to the GC. Maybe someone who has actually been there will come along with the info you are looking for.

I think it would be hard to get to the other cabanas with a wheelchair, but I have seen this discussed before, I just can't remember the details. There is a path for the tram that takes you to the cabanas, but you have to walk down steps or a somewhat steep incline to get to the cabana. We were in the turquoise cabana, but it might be differnt as you move on down the beach.

I've read posts where someone has mentioned a sand wheelchair that you can rent or borrow. It also might be possible to enter the beach area from a different location that will allow you to use your own wheelchair.

Hopefully someone will come along with more detailed answers.

Enjoy your day on HMC. :)

Thanks! I heard that they had the sand wheelchairs. Either way i'll make due I have enough people that can carry me into one if needed

Thanks! I heard that they had the sand wheelchairs. Either way i'll make due I have enough people that can carry me into one if needed

BruceR posts here and he's very knowledgeable about the island. If he doesn't see your post on this thread, I'd start a thread and ask for him...and ask him about this.

We pretty much stayed in the general area of our cabana...but it may be that as you move away from where we were, there's not as much of a slope coming down from the tram path. So he might be able to help you out more as to what's beyond where we were.

Have a great time! :)

• 2 weeks later...

We'd like to keep an eye on our kids in the swimming area from the cabana. Does the swimming area extend down the whole length of all the cabana's? Or, is the swimming area just down by the first few. I have reserved the peach cabana. It doesn't look like there is much shade around and am thinking of moving to the yellow, but am concerned about location relative to the swimming area. Thanks!

We'd like to keep an eye on our kids in the swimming area from the cabana. Does the swimming area extend down the whole length of all the cabana's? Or, is the swimming area just down by the first few. I have reserved the peach cabana. It doesn't look like there is much shade around and am thinking of moving to the yellow, but am concerned about location relative to the swimming area. Thanks!

The water is pretty shallow quite a way out so you can swim just about anywhere along the beach. If you want to be close to the kids "Aquatic Play Place" then you want one of the first cabanas, Grey, blue, or Turquois.

http://static.flickr.com/108/296583013_6fa96f5e51_o.jpg

In the photo, the cabanas on the left are the farthest away from the kids area and the "designated" swim area. The cabanas on the right end of the photos would be closest to the kids area.

Here are My HMC photos and you can see the whole beach, from one end to the other, is a swimming area.

I'm on the Zuiderdam - 6 ladies - in January and decided to book a cabana - I got the Green one (looked like it might have some trees around it.

I was surprised that I had to pay now, even though I haven't even finished paying for the cruise! Anyone have any idea how hard it would be to get a credit if, for some reason, the ladies elect to not use the cabana??

I'm on the Zuiderdam - 6 ladies - in January and decided to book a cabana - I got the Green one (looked like it might have some trees around it.

I was surprised that I had to pay now, even though I haven't even finished paying for the cruise! Anyone have any idea how hard it would be to get a credit if, for some reason, the ladies elect to not use the cabana??

From what I understand, there's usually a waiting list for the cabanas...but I don't know what HAL's policy is on a cancellation. So should you decide to not use the cabana, someone will snap it up in a nanosecond.

I think any excursion you book in advance, you pay for in advance (at least through HAL). We only booked the excursions in advance that we knew would sell out quickly...like the cabanas. :)

I think you'll really enjoy the cabana. We loved ours. :)

Archived