waiting until the price drops to book

tacobird

Has anyone waited until the price drops to book on a cruise? I realize the selection of cabins would not be there but the price does go down pretty low on some of these cruises. I have noticed on a Hawaii cruise the price 8 weeks before departure is lower than 4-5 months prior and it is an upgraded cabin. :)

If you have the flexibility of schedule to wait until the last minute, it can be a great way to grab a bargain. But you also have to be willing to accept the real possibility that the ship and/or sailing that you want will sell out.

I am placing my bets that a Sept 2 cruise in Hawaii will not sell out. This also being the last 7 day cruise for this ship may help out. We will have our flights set for Honolulu and I will keep my fingers crossed. Any savings for a group of five will help. Life on the edge. :)

Travel company like Airline and other holiday provider have employed what is called Revenue Optimiser Officers to get the most revenue for the company. They have sophisticated computer models on the public booking pattern and habit and can lower or raise fare at any time to acheive this.

You are competing against such persons and their computers.

Having said that you may get lucky. Good luck to you.

As long as you're not picky about the stateroom you end up with I would always rather wait to book a month or two before sailing date. Especially since we cruise in the off season. Now if we are talking about peak season (summer-spring break-holidays) waiting until the last minute may not work as the cruise may sell out or the price may increase.

Why wait to book. Book when ever you want to, then keep an eye on your cruise. When prices drop and you CALL, the cruise line will honor the reduced price and give you a credit on your charge card. WE have done this TWICE with Celebrity and ended up saving around $400.00 each time, and still got the stateroom we wanted.

Beth in Georgia

I like to wait for the price to drop. I look for the lowest priced inside guarantee, so the cabin I end up with doesn't matter much. Usually I receive an "upgrade"....(better location grade, but never an outside).

Will cruiseline really refund difference if fare drops? What about so-called non-refundable fares? I usually travel during off-season if possible for best fares and selection.

I agree with what's said above about cruiselines using airline style "yield-management", as do hotels and car rentals nowadays also. If that's the case, why would they reduce fare already sold? And if they would, why wouldn't they do it for all booked passengers, regardless if they called and asked for refund or were not aware of it? They must know that many passengers discuss fares paid on board. Why anger a passenger who booked a year or more in advance in good faith of getting an "early-booking discount"?

More advantages of last minute booking are that you are aware of late itinerary changes, etc. Also, there is less need to buy expensive trip cancellation insurance, as there is less chance of need to cancel.

The only time I would book way in advance is if it's a one-of-a-kind itinerary such as the HAL Maasdam Viking Transatlantic, then it's highly unlikey to get a last minute discount or even get on board!:)

The last two cruises we have taken on Hal, we booked real early. I followed the prices to the end of both cruises and they did not change, at the cabins we booked in and they were inside cabins(main deck). I think if it is the cruise you really want and the cabin you want, you book as soon as possible, now if the price does go down you can talk to your TA and they can try to get that price for you. Our very first cruise with Hal, we did just that and not only got a lower price, but upgraded to a outside cabin, so it pays to watch the prices still you finally have to make final payment. We have been more than happy with our Hal cruises so far.

Why wait to book. Book when ever you want to, then keep an eye on your cruise. When prices drop and you CALL, the cruise line will honor the reduced price and give you a credit on your charge card. WE have done this TWICE with Celebrity and ended up saving around $400.00 each time, and still got the stateroom we wanted.

Beth in Georgia

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity will not refund your cruise fare if the lower price is a "happy hour" special which are for new bookings only.

Last month I watched the cruise of choice go up $140 pp. Then last week I found another that was $40 pp less than the week before and with my "SENIOR DISCOUNT" I got a 2 cabin upgrade. All cruises were in the same time frame.

Normally we book when we find a cruise that suits us and have booked as far as 14 months out, but this was a spur of the moment thing.

Maybe being an old fogey has its benefits!;)

The real answer is, it depends on what time of the year you are cruising. If you pay attention to the rock bottom prices, you will know when the off season is for every area of interest. If you wait and want to go at a more popular time, you will be out of luck. Not only will the prices increase, there is the risk the ship will be sold out and you will not cruise at all.

For Hawaii, the best time (cheapest) is in the early fall, after school is back in session, right after winter holidays and after spring break time is over, before summer begins. All other times of the year will be at a premium. Hawaii weather is usually best in the spring and fall, a great time to go :)

We book early to get "early " discounts. Then when the final payment is due, our T.A. has been known to get an addtional discount for us. We've never saved over 100.00 tho.

We also use a cruise- only T.A. who gets great "deals" because the company has tight connections with the lines, due to the volume of cruises they book.

Archived