Dutch Night

MSammy

It's not the same as it used to be.

No big whoop!

Glad to hear it....I don't even remember a "Dutch Night" on our cruise! I wonder how we missed it? Guess it couldn't have been anything that special.....

On a 30 day Tahiti cruise in Jan-Feb this year on the Ryndam, there was a night where most of the items served on the old "Dutch Night" were offered as was well as the Dutch hats offered to all diners. I have heard that there is no longer an advertised "Dutch Night" as other nationalities were feeling left out and thought they should also have designated theme nights, so HAL felt it best to drop any such designations.It's too bad that we can't let HAL celebrate their Dutch beginnings but so be it,there is no pleasing all of us.

I am Dutch! And hopefully you will be too, or at least feel like it, fabulous dinners!! :cool:

Surprise.........yes I am dutch too and have a daily dutch night at home....

(and visited Napa sept. 2005)

I forget which ship, but once during embarkation we were trying to make reservations at the specialty restaurant and the reservation guy told us to make our specialty reservation during dutch night so that we could avoid the dutch food that was served. Apparently lots of people don't care for the menu on dutch night because on another cruise that was the night that lots of folks didn't come to dinner in the main restaurant. I don't remember having any major dislike of the food choices the times we have eaten the dutch food. To each his own....I mean some folks don't care for chocolate and that is something I just don't understand.

Gosh, where and how else can you travel and try unfamiliar food without financial consequences. The food on the Dutch Night menu had unusual names but the descriptions were very clear. Read the descriptions, go for what sounds interesting. If you hate it ask the waiter to bring you something else - no charge, no foul.

Once upon a time, everything, even baby formula was a foreign food. Somehow we all tried new foods, survived, and learned to love things like parsnips, escargot, mashed potatoes, chicken "fingers", bami goreng and a host of other exotic foods. Live a little!!

Thumbs up for Dutch Night!!

I have heard that there is no longer an advertised "Dutch Night" as other nationalities were feeling left out and thought they should also have designated theme nights, so HAL felt it best to drop any such designations.It's too bad that we can't let HAL celebrate their Dutch beginnings but so be it,there is no pleasing all of us.

I'm sure you're kidding, right?

It's

HOLLAND America Line!!!

Late Night Buffets in Lido have Mexican, Italian, French etc themes. Varies each night.

Dover Sole is back on Dutch Night Menu. :)

Delicious Dutch Green Pea Soup is still on the menu. Wonderful!!!!

I didn't find this out until after we dined in the PG that night. I made the rez online and there wouldn't have been an alternative rez open by that time anyway. I'll have to catch it next time.

Candy the ZuiderPrincess <-- looking forward to Zuidy #8

Just got off the Rotterdam where we had Dutch night. If someone could tell me how to post a copy of the menu I would do so , so that you can judge for yourselves whether or not it is worth while.

Personally we enjoyed it a lot as we do every time we travel HAL. Granted there is no longer the great rikstaffel (sorry for the spelling), but it is good just the same.

Jocelysue

I am pretty sure that HAL does not to the traditional Dutch night with the hats etc. However in January on the Oosterdam which was a short cruise there were several Dutch dishes (among others) on one evening, but it was not at all like the former totally Dutch themed dinners, which I didn't like at the time, but as time goes by I do miss. I guess that is the way of the world.

Just got off the Rotterdam where we had Dutch night. If someone could tell me how to post a copy of the menu I would do so , so that you can judge for yourselves whether or not it is worth while.

Personally we enjoyed it a lot as we do every time we travel HAL. Granted there is no longer the great rikstaffel (sorry for the spelling), but it is good just the same.

Jocelysue

Jocelysue; here you go!:)

Rijsttafel:

(Dutch: “rice table”), an elaborate meal of Indonesian dishes developed during the Dutch colonial era. A Rijsttafel consists of rice accompanied by several, often spicy side dishes served buffet-style. Popular side dishes include egg rolls, sambals, satay, fish, fruit, vegetables, pickles, and nuts. It is a Dutch colonial adaptation of the Indonesian makan besar, and popular in both Indonesia and the Netherlands.

The number of side dishes depends mainly on the number of guests; in a restaurant, as many as two dozen side dishes may be served. In many restaurants, the side dishes are brought to the guests' table, covering the table with the many small plates.

I am pretty sure that HAL does not to the traditional Dutch night with the hats etc. However in January on the Oosterdam which was a short cruise there were several Dutch dishes (among others) on one evening, but it was not at all like the former totally Dutch themed dinners, which I didn't like at the time, but as time goes by I do miss. I guess that is the way of the world.

It's been hit and miss for the last year, year and a half or so. You're right though, in that I also haven't seen the "traditional" Dutch night with the red, white and blue decorations, the his and her hats, the stewards dressing up in Dutch costume, and the multitude of Dutch appetizers, dishes/entrees, soups, and deserts in a while:( Too bad!

Archived