Galveston Hotel Question - Harbor House?

awesummom1

My family and I are leaving on Ecstasy from Galveston May 19th and I just booked our room at the Harbor House for the 18th. It said breakfast was included...does anyone know what that consists of? Should we plan to eat out that morning before getting on the ship?

Does anyone know if there is a grocery close to this hotel for a quick "pre-leave" trip for water/sodas?

It's our first cruise and we are soooo excited. These message boards have been very very helpful with planning! Thank you in advance for any info you can provide.

I don't know how big the breakfast offered by The Harbor House is but I do know that you don't need much. As soon as you get on board they will start feeding you all you can eat. Just drop your carry-ons in your cabin and head to the buffet or poolside grill. You will most likely be waiting on your luggage to arrive before you can unpack anyway. Some of it may not arrive until after the muster drill.

As far as a grocery store around the Harbor House - You are staying in an upscale tourist area one block from the Historic Strand. You can walk to the strand where you will find many specialty shops, museums, restaurants and bars. some of the specialty shops like The Old Strand Emporium (2122 Strand St.) will have sodas, water and imported beers. If you are looking for a large full line grocery store you will need to take a taxi to WalMart, Kroger, Arlan's Mkt., HEB or Randall's.

Thank you for the info! We are already so excited, it will be hard to sleep the night before. So, I have a feeling we'll be up early that morning and my kiddos will be hungry. I was hoping the continental breakfast they offer would be sufficient to satisfy my growing boy...who loves breakfast (and isn't really picky) I didn't realize you could eat shortly after getting on board. That's a plus!

Looking for a few sodas and water before leaving, so thanks for the info on where to find them. Do you have any favorite stops on the Strand? Love to shop and sight see...Sounds right up my alley!

http://www.thestrand.com/dining.php

Take a look at the restaurant / bar map on the site above. The Harbor House is where #48 is located just off Harborside Dr.. The outline of the cruise terminal and a ship is also visible in the top left corner.

You can click around this site to for dining, shipping and museums. Downtown Galveston is loaded with many late 1800's early 1900's restored buildings that have been converted to shops & restaurants. Most of these are located on Strand St., Mechanic & Post Office St.. All these areas plus Seawall Blvd. are connected with the Galveston Trolley so you don't need a car. I don't know what type of shops you like but my DW & I like doing the Friday Or Saturday night art gallery stroll on Post Office St. after eating a great dinner at The Salt Water Grill and then stopping off for a latte at the coffee shop on Post Office before heading home. This might be a little boring for Young kids.

They would like touring the Tall Ship Elissa which is docked a few yards from the Harbor House or the Railroad museum located at the end of Strand and 25th St.. I know they will like the candy & ice cream at the Rocky Mtn. Chocolate Factory on Strand St..

Enjoy Galveston,

Texreno

If you have kids do not miss La Kings on the Strand, it is an old fashioned Ice Cream shop and saltwater taffy which is made right in front of you, lots of other candy too :) Very cute atmosphere.

As far as favorite shops- I like Yaga Mo Bettah Threadz, Big Dog Sportswear (for the dh), D'Vine Wine, and Old Strand Emporium. But there are many shops and they are all fun to look around in.

There is also a Fuddruckers Restaurant right off the Strand if you want something convenient other than seafood.

The previous poster is right- the trolley can take you around the island and all the way to the Seawall. :)

Have fun, Galveston is a great place!

Thank you very much for the info! Everything sounds delightful and now I'm even more excited about the trip! (perhaps we'll go an extra day earlier to take advantage of more sights in Galveston) I really appreciate your responses and plan to visit the places you suggested. ;)

Thank you very much for the info! Everything sounds delightful and now I'm even more excited about the trip! (perhaps we'll go an extra day earlier to take advantage of more sights in Galveston) I really appreciate your responses and plan to visit the places you suggested. ;)

I'm assuming you are driving down from OK and have a car available. If so kids will love Moody Gardens, Schlitterbahn water park or both.

Also Harborhouse is next to the Texas Sea Port Museum with the tall ship Elissa. http://www.tsm-elissa.org/

Try Academy 45th and Seawall for inexpensive cruise wear snorkel gear etc.

Enjoy Galveston have a great cruise.

You can also go to the the Houston Space Centre on your way to Galveston if you have time. We did that a couple of years agao when we cruised out of galveston. My kids loved it.

We will be staying at Harbor House the night prior to the cruise, so we thought we'd hang out and have dinner in the same area. As far as having dinner the night prior to the cruise, which for us, will be on a Saturday, is it reasonable to think that we could have reservations as Fisherman's Wharf or does that place usually get really booked up with people looking to cruise the next day???

ThoneyCU, do you happen to know how late La Kings is open on a Saturday? I'd love to purchase real taffy. Or are they open on Sunday to grab some prior to cruising????

Thanks ahead of time for any information.

Stacey

... As far as having dinner the night prior to the cruise, which for us, will be on a Saturday, is it reasonable to think that we could have reservations as Fisherman's Wharf or does that place usually get really booked up with people looking to cruise the next day???...

... how late La Kings is open on a Saturday? I'd love to purchase real taffy. Or are they open on Sunday to grab some prior to cruising????...

For info on Fisherman's Wharf: http://www.galveston.com/fishermanswharf/

Don't know if they take reservations in the evening or not. I have only eaten there at lunch time. You might want to give them a call at (409)765-5708. Or, someone else might chime in with more info.

For info on La King's Confectionery: http://www.galveston.com/laking/

Open 7 Days: 4:00 PM - 10:00 PM. Note: Hours may be seasonal and subject to change.

Kat 060104_emM12_prv.gif

Texas is a very non-reservation state, first-come-first-serve. Except for one visit when Fisherman's Wharf was booked for a private party, we've never waited more than 20 to 30 minutes. Go early 5:00 to 6:00 PM or late after 9:00 PM to avoid the crowds.

You are correct about our drive from OK. The museum sounds great ~ my son will love it! I want to do it all! haha Thank you for the info and shopping tip!

hey awesummom1

we have reservations at the harbor house on april 7th for our april 8th cruise on the conquest. booked the room on hotels.com.

i'll try to post my experience once we return the week of the 16th. i've emailed them a couple of times trying to get a harbor side room, but they haven't returned either one of my email.

so they are not starting out so well relating to their customer service.

have fun on your cruise

Thanks Big Mike for the offer! I'd love to hear your feedback on the stay at the Harbor House when you return. (Disappointing to hear of the lack of response to you from them though) Let me know if you get the harbor side room you wanted. I'd love to hear of any other things you do around the hotel and enjoyed (or didn't). I'll watch for your post when you get back. Here's wishing you the best time ever ~ Enjoy!

One more thing for Big Mike. You said you booked your room on Hotels.com. Are you driving? If so, I am curious to know if you had to pay for parking while on the cruise. My understanding was that parking was free for the week if I booked through Galveston.com. So I did. But, it was a little higher than it was quoted on Hotels.com. Just curious. :rolleyes:

Archived