Just off the AOS B2B!!!

Hey Cbabe!

Hang in there for the review - it's coming! I know you will love the AOS - especially the Sunday between cruises when you have the ship to yourself! Here's a very important tip if you enjoy a drink ;) On the last night of the first cruise, go to the shop on board and buy your liquor for the second week. They have NO idea you are a B2B cruiser and you can take that liquor back to your cabin. The 2 cruises are totally separate and unless you tell the store clerk you are sailing the second week, they wouldn't have a clue! :D We don't drink enough to have taken advantage of this - but it would have been SO easy to do!

Never thought about that!! On our previous cruises, our bartab topped a grand everytime. Thanks for the tip!!:)

Robyn,

Thanks so much for the information on the Marriott Stellaris. I have one more question. I booked a room there several months ago for my husband, myself and two sons. Then just a few weeks ago my oldest son found out that he's able to get the time off of work, so he's going now and I was able to book the flight and cruise for him. But the Marriott will not allow more than 4 people in a room. We plan on having him just sleep on the floor because it's only for one night. I assume the room will be plenty big enough for that. Does the hotel give out passes to each person to use the pool or anything like that where we'd run into a problem? I really don't want to pay $200 for another room, but I hope we get checked in okay. I was thinking of having him wait outside or something while we check in so they don't see we now have five people. Thanks for all the info.

Hey Tad!

In Aruba we hopped in a cab and went to Palm Beach ( the cab ride was 10 minutes from the port and cost about $10) We really enjoyed our day there, and we rented chairs and umbrellas. There is a restaurant that overlooks the ocean and serves great food!

In Curacao we shopped! We had spent a week there a few years ago and were not all that fond of the beaches (you need water shoes at every one of them as the sand is all crushed coral) so we decided to skip the beach and enjoy a morning browsing around the downtown area and enjoying a cold drink in a quaint cafe!

In St. Maarten we rented a jeep and headed straight to Mullet Bay - we LOVE this place! The sand is like powder and the ocean is crystal clear :D

In St. Thomas we booked the Megan's Bay Beach Getaway - I decided to stay on the ship, but my DH and DD went on the excursion and had a great afternoon on the beach!

In Aruba you can forgo the cab and take the local bus. It is easy and the cost is only $2.00 per person round trip. When you get off the ship just ask where is the bus that takes you to palm beach (we got off at the Radisson) it is right across the street.

In Curacao we went to Mambo beach, not the prettiest beach of the whole trip but calm water, sand is not to harsh, and you can walk right into the water without needing water shoes.

St Thomas take the Ferry to St John it is the most amazing beach and scenery you have ever seen in your life. Actually Trunk Bays Picture came on my sons cell phone screen saver, that how pretty it is.

I am so glad to know they changed the menu I hope for our long 12 day cruise in Dec it is better because the menu needs to keep up with the times. I hope they listened to the complaints on this board and took that into account when they planned the new menu.

Robyn!!!

OK it sounds like you've answered most of my questions pertaining to the cruise and Marriott Stellaris hotel. But what I really want to know is how much did you spend in the Coach Outlet in OSJ? LOL

Glad you're back and anxious to read your review and see your photos. Take Care, Anne

What was the attire you saw during formal night? would a little black cocktail dress and for men a sports jacket and dress pants be sufficient?

I am off this cruise the end of Feb and I wore a little black cocktail dress and it was fine, I just dressed it up with a lot of jewelry, but I would say no to a sport jacket, that is more casual. I would say a dark suit. If they want you to be formally dressed a dark suit is closer then a smart casual sport coat. But if you are comfortable in that then don't worry about what people say just do what you want and have a greatttttttttttt time.

Also to confirm you don't need your passport but do need a PHOTO ID.

We had a 11:15 flight so we were the first group off and it sounds like we were very lucky. We waited no more than 15 mins to check in.

Also for those buying booze we noticed the prices were very close compared to ports and on ship in the San Juan airport. Bottles of Absolut for $9.95. I will say the didn't have the huge selection that the ship and ports had but you didn't have to worry about carrying it around. We bought 3 bottles of absolut and a bottle of Captain Morgan for $38.00 and it included a special carrying bag to bring on the plane. Very nice

Whew....I'm glad you got some....I was worried that you two were going to have to stop in NH after that long flight. :)

Hi CK Robyn,

My DH & I were right next door to you, in 1692, on the first leg of your B2B. Sorry we never did meet.

I am a huge fan of the aft cabins. This was my first on Voyager Class ships, and while the size of the aft balconies is GREAT, the view isn't as good as the Radience Class ships. I do love how quiet it is back there. The walk was never an issue--it was much needed!!

Question....it seems that many of the folks from the 2/25 cruise were getting sick towards the end of the week. Did you see any signs of an "outbreak" in the 2nd leg of your cruise?

I heard that many guests were ill towards the end of the week - thank goodness we were not affected, but I feel for those who were. All I know is that we were being served by staff in the Windjammer from the Thursday of the first week until Monday of the second week - after that we could finally serve ourselves again. I believe the March 4th sailing was a healthy one!

Welcome back Robyn! Now, tell us what we really want to know...about the food!:p What's on the new menus? Give us the goods!!

Hey Diamond! LOVE your avatar!!! :D

I wish I had snuck a new menu out of the dining room! LOL! I can't remember all the new selections but they looked and tasted yummy :) RCI was long overdue for a menu change - but the favourites are still on there!

Robyn!!!

OK it sounds like you've answered most of my questions pertaining to the cruise and Marriott Stellaris hotel. But what I really want to know is how much did you spend in the Coach Outlet in OSJ? LOL

Glad you're back and anxious to read your review and see your photos. Take Care, Anne

Anne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry to have kept you in such suspense! :o

Yes, we did visit both the Coach and Dooney and Bourke outlets in OSJ. I bought a beautiful D&B purse - but nothing at Coach :( Their prices this year were really no different than our Coach outlet in Niagara Falls NY (just across the border for us Canadians).

GREAT fakes in Curacao though!!!!! I bought 2 Coach bags :p

Robyn,

Thanks for all the great info. We leave April 8th. Just a few questions..

Did you use the concierge? If so how was it? Who was the concierge? What are the formal nights and what would be a good night to go to Portofino? Was there a C & A event for Diamond/+ members and if so when? Any experience w/adventure ocean?

If we book an excursion at9:00 in Aruba will we make it off the ship in time? What was there to do in Aruba in the late evening? Can the kids stay on the ship in AO if they don't want to get off the ship?

Did you notice a Champagne Beverage Card? I saw another post, but didn't know if it was still available.

Sorry for all the ??? But, we are gettiing really excited!!!

Thanks for the help!

Jodi

Hi Jodi -

Yes, we had access to the Concierge Lounge both weeks. The Concierge was wonderful. I have a brain freeze right now, but her name is something like Dygy and she is from Turkey.

Formal nights are Monday and Thursday - both sea days.

Yes there was a C&A event for Platinum and Diamond Members and it was actually a recital which was very nice. I still have the invite if you want more information. You can email me at ckrobyn@hotmail.com

You should have no problem with a 9:00am excursion in Aruba. Yes, the kids can stay on the ship in AO if they do not want to go on the island.

I know there is a Champagne "package" - not sure what it includes or what the cost is though....I saw some literature about it on the tables in the Champagne bar :)

Robyn,

Thanks so much for the information on the Marriott Stellaris. I have one more question. I booked a room there several months ago for my husband, myself and two sons. Then just a few weeks ago my oldest son found out that he's able to get the time off of work, so he's going now and I was able to book the flight and cruise for him. But the Marriott will not allow more than 4 people in a room. We plan on having him just sleep on the floor because it's only for one night. I assume the room will be plenty big enough for that. Does the hotel give out passes to each person to use the pool or anything like that where we'd run into a problem? I really don't want to pay $200 for another room, but I hope we get checked in okay. I was thinking of having him wait outside or something while we check in so they don't see we now have five people. Thanks for all the info.

The room should hold 5 - even if they say it will only hold 4 ;) There are no wristbands or anything like that, so don't worry about him using the pool etc. You can ask at check in for a cot and I'm sure they will provide it. You don't need to tell them you are 5 people - they'll never know who exactly the cot is for! The front desk staff were very friendly and accommodating.

My Webshots album is posted with pics of the hotel. Take a look!

2460653710085690988kYqjwq_th.jpg

Hi Robyn,

Can you tell me two things about St Maarten?

Mullet Bay (wow, that is gorgeous!) - how far away was it from the port...how much were chair/umbrella rentals...was there a bar or restaurant there?

Car rental (Hertz) - we have a reservation w/ them at St. Maarten. How did you find the office? Did you follow that "car rental" sign that I saw in your pictures on the side of the building? If so, that's easy! :-) It just looked far away from the ship from what I could tell, and I pictured it being right by the ship. Thanks!!

Robyn, thanks for the pics. We leave 3-25 on the AOS. Cant wait, and we are also staying at the SJ Marriott on Sat 3-24.

One quick question, how long was the check by customs at St Thomas? We want to go to St Johns, but didnt know how long it took to get off the ship.

Robyn, thanks for the pics. We leave 3-25 on the AOS. Cant wait, and we are also staying at the SJ Marriott on Sat 3-24.

One quick question, how long was the check by customs at St Thomas? We want to go to St Johns, but didnt know how long it took to get off the ship.

I was on the 3/4 sailing with Robyn and the Immigration line in St. THomas went right through. I'm a US citizen so I can't speak to those who aren't but DW and I went down right at 7:30 (had an 8:00 excursion) and basically we walked into the dining room, walked around the dining room, flashed our passports to the Immigration guy, walked around the other side of the dining room and had our sea pass cards marked. We were back in the cabin eating our breakfast by 7:40 (it took ten minutes because of waiting for elevators going up and down....there was no wait for the immigration).

Hi Robyn,

Can you tell me two things about St Maarten?

Mullet Bay (wow, that is gorgeous!) - how far away was it from the port...how much were chair/umbrella rentals...was there a bar or restaurant there?

Car rental (Hertz) - we have a reservation w/ them at St. Maarten. How did you find the office? Did you follow that "car rental" sign that I saw in your pictures on the side of the building? If so, that's easy! :-) It just looked far away from the ship from what I could tell, and I pictured it being right by the ship. Thanks!!

Hi Jim!

Yes - Mullet Bay (IMHO) is the most spectacular beach! We love it there :D We rented 2 chairs and an umbrella for about $24. I highly suggest the umbrella as it can get really HOT on the beach!

There is a little outdoor restaurant there as well that sells the most delicious back ribs (they are only $5 and a must try!)

We picked up our Jeep at Hertz which is located right at the port in St. Maarten. Simply follow the car rental signs and it will take you right to the little row of car rental companies. From there, they will shuttle you to the yard where they keep the cars/jeeps. Hope this helps?

I was on the 3/4 sailing with Robyn and the Immigration line in St. THomas went right through. I'm a US citizen so I can't speak to those who aren't but DW and I went down right at 7:30 (had an 8:00 excursion) and basically we walked into the dining room, walked around the dining room, flashed our passports to the Immigration guy, walked around the other side of the dining room and had our sea pass cards marked. We were back in the cabin eating our breakfast by 7:40 (it took ten minutes because of waiting for elevators going up and down....there was no wait for the immigration).

We had the same experience as well. It didn't take 2 min. to go through, and I was so afraid of there being a tremendous line.

HI ROBYN...glad to hear that you had a wonderful time on the AOS...b2b...we sail this coming sunday...doing pre-nite at the marriott miramar...where in curaceao did you buy the coach knock off's...my wife purchased one for our daughter when she graduated high school last spring and i almost fell out of the chair when she told me the cost...what's wrong with a purse from target or walmart or even kohls...kock off's are good for kids...

HI ROBYN...glad to hear that you had a wonderful time on the AOS...b2b...we sail this coming sunday...doing pre-nite at the marriott miramar...where in curaceao did you buy the coach knock off's...my wife purchased one for our daughter when she graduated high school last spring and i almost fell out of the chair when she told me the cost...what's wrong with a purse from target or walmart or even kohls...kock off's are good for kids...

Hi Mike :)

I'm sure you will have a fabulous time on the AOS - the new beds are very comfy!

As for the knock off Coach bags - we got them in a small boutique in the middle of downtown Curacao. There are several narrow laneways in this area lined with stores. Be sure to look at the displays in each window as this will show you the variety of purses available for sale inside.

Yes, authentic Coach bags are expensive! You will be able to purchase pretty great knock off's for about $25-35.

Have a wonderful cruise! :D

We stayed at the Marriott Miramar for a night before and after the cruise. Nice hotel. The guy to talk to there is Tony. He can give you the scoop on what to do around there

Hi Mike :)

I'm sure you will have a fabulous time on the AOS - the new beds are very comfy!

As for the knock off Coach bags - we got them in a small boutique in the middle of downtown Curacao. There are several narrow laneways in this area lined with stores. Be sure to look at the displays in each window as this will show you the variety of purses available for sale inside.

Yes, authentic Coach bags are expensive! You will be able to purchase pretty great knock off's for about $25-35.

Have a wonderful cruise! :D

My daughter got a great louie viton knock off in Curacao it was a satchel and a wallet for 25.00 and they look real.

Archived