Just off the AOS B2B!!!

I don't know the exact dry dock dates - but I did speak with Fernando who is the Guest Relations Manager (and an excellent one at that!) and I was told drydock will take place within the next 6 months.

We visited Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten and St. Thomas. I would be happy to share our excursions with you if you are interested? Just let me know!

Robyn, a few questions.....I'm sailing in October.

1. Did they mention what improvements were to be made during drydock? I heard rumor of a Chops......any scoop on that?

2. What time did the ship leave San Juan? I'm told it's earlier than before.

3. Not really a question, but let us know when your photos are posted. I'm staying at the SJ Marriot for two nights pre-cruise and would love to see recent photos.

Hey Daycare!

I don't know the exact dry dock dates - but I did speak with Fernando who is the Guest Relations Manager (and an excellent one at that!) and I was told drydock will take place within the next 6 months.

We visited Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten and St. Thomas. I would be happy to share our excursions with you if you are interested? Just let me know!

By the way - we were on the ship by 12:00pm on boarding day!

Hi, I am going on aos in june and would love to know what you did for your excursions.:)

Hey Robyn, welcome back. I am sure you and your family had a great time, sounds like you had fantastic weather. Like many :D I am looking forward to reading your trip report.

Well, I got hooked into another cruise, seems my SO (Bea) kinda liked the idea of another cruise rather than playing golf in the D.R. Sooo, we are booked on Explorer out of Cape Liberty on a 9 nighter in May, no flying (I'm actually getting tired of flying) and my question is:

Did you beat out of them the menu change schedule for the fleet and if so, when will Explorer get the change? I am assuming a menu change is a heck of a lot faster than a bedding change. Thank you....:)

Robyn, a few questions.....I'm sailing in October.

1. Did they mention what improvements were to be made during drydock? I heard rumor of a Chops......any scoop on that?

2. What time did the ship leave San Juan? I'm told it's earlier than before.

3. Not really a question, but let us know when your photos are posted. I'm staying at the SJ Marriot for two nights pre-cruise and would love to see recent photos.

Hey Aqua!

I don't know specifically about the dry dock and what improvements are planned, I definitely didn't hear about Chops? As far as I am concerned, the ship looks wonderful! Yes, there is some evidence of wear in various areas, but not enough to make you say the ship is run down or anything.

The ship left San Juan at 10:00pm, but it is my understanding that beginning sometime in late spring - the AOS will depart at 8:00pm.

Of course I will let you know when the pics are posted! I'm glad that I took lots of pics of the SJ Marriott as many CC folks are interested in seeing them....stay tuned! :)

Hey Robyn, welcome back. I am sure you and your family had a great time, sounds like you had fantastic weather. Like many :D I am looking forward to reading your trip report.

Well, I got hooked into another cruise, seems my SO (Bea) kinda liked the idea of another cruise rather than playing golf in the D.R. Sooo, we are booked on Explorer out of Cape Liberty on a 9 nighter in May, no flying (I'm actually getting tired of flying) and my question is:

Did you beat out of them the menu change schedule for the fleet and if so, when will Explorer get the change? I am assuming a menu change is a heck of a lot faster than a bedding change. Thank you....:)

Bob! Always a pleasure to hear from you ;) One day we shall cruise together..........just be sure and stay FAR away from any railings when I am around......LOL!

How well you know me! Of course the menu change came about as a result of ckrobyn's status on Cruise Critic......did you even need to ask???? :p

Hi, I am going on aos in june and would love to know what you did for your excursions.:)

Hey Tad!

In Aruba we hopped in a cab and went to Palm Beach ( the cab ride was 10 minutes from the port and cost about $10) We really enjoyed our day there, and we rented chairs and umbrellas. There is a restaurant that overlooks the ocean and serves great food!

In Curacao we shopped! We had spent a week there a few years ago and were not all that fond of the beaches (you need water shoes at every one of them as the sand is all crushed coral) so we decided to skip the beach and enjoy a morning browsing around the downtown area and enjoying a cold drink in a quaint cafe!

In St. Maarten we rented a jeep and headed straight to Mullet Bay - we LOVE this place! The sand is like powder and the ocean is crystal clear :D

In St. Thomas we booked the Megan's Bay Beach Getaway - I decided to stay on the ship, but my DH and DD went on the excursion and had a great afternoon on the beach!

Robyn I know you did a lot of research on Afts before you left. Was this the cruise you were resarching for or the Mariner? If so, how was it. I am going on Voyager Aft in January 2008 in JS 1694. Thanks and welcome back.

Thanks for the update.

I'll be sailing AOS in August visiting..Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten and St. Thomas...Departure time for us will be 8:30pm....

Sad to hear the beaches are not that great in Curacao....I was planning on going....Aruba beach sounds interesting....

Now, I'm more excited about my up&coming cruise.

Thanks again for all your info...

:confused: I leave on April 8th for the AOS. You mentioned that you needed your passports everytime your boarded the ship? Why? Our seapass cards aren't enough this time. Do they tell you this ahead of time?

We used our drivers licenses. They were fine. They do let you know ahead of time and it is printed in every Compass

Robyn,

I'd love to hear more about the Marriott Stellaris. We're staying there one day and night post-cruise, and I was hoping the renovations would be done by then. We are booked in a pool/ocean view room. Any tips on what would be a good room to request, as far as a certain floor or one side of the building, etc? Someome had said before that they sell admission to the pool to locals on weekends and that it is super crowded. Did you find that to be the case? Did you eat at any of the restaurants there? Do you know how far it is from there into Old San Juan and about how much a cab is? Thanks for answering these questions.

Robyn,

I'd love to hear more about the Marriott Stellaris. We're staying there one day and night post-cruise, and I was hoping the renovations would be done by then. We are booked in a pool/ocean view room. Any tips on what would be a good room to request, as far as a certain floor or one side of the building, etc? Someome had said before that they sell admission to the pool to locals on weekends and that it is super crowded. Did you find that to be the case? Did you eat at any of the restaurants there? Do you know how far it is from there into Old San Juan and about how much a cab is? Thanks for answering these questions.

Hey Sunlover!

The Marriott Stellaris was wonderful :) I believe they are nearing completion of their 35 million dollar renovation. We requested a tower room with a view as I knew beforehand that those rooms have all been renovated. The room itself was gorgeous with brand new beds, a flat panel TV and a big marble bathroom. I did take pictures of the room which I will post once they are downloaded tomorrow.

We arrived on a Saturday and didn't notice an abundance of locals - although the pool area was quite busy all afternoon. We had lunch at the pool restaurant - VERY pricey but good food....cost us almost $50 for a few burgers and some chicken fingers :eek:

The cab ride to Old San Juan is about $15 and takes about 15 minutes.

Next year we are planning 4 nights at the Stellaris pre-cruise and then a night post cruise. We really enjoyed this hotel!

Robyn; Thanks so much for the update on the bedding and the Marriott. I'm looking forward to your pics. the tips on the beaches are helpful too.

CBabe: Are you on AOS on 5/6/07? If so, we are also on that sailing. Please slide over to rollcalls & visit our thread.

Hi CkRobyn,

I'm anxiously awaiting your review! Glad you had a great time.

I am also doing a B2b on the AOS in April/May 2007.

Hey Cbabe!

Hang in there for the review - it's coming! I know you will love the AOS - especially the Sunday between cruises when you have the ship to yourself! Here's a very important tip if you enjoy a drink ;) On the last night of the first cruise, go to the shop on board and buy your liquor for the second week. They have NO idea you are a B2B cruiser and you can take that liquor back to your cabin. The 2 cruises are totally separate and unless you tell the store clerk you are sailing the second week, they wouldn't have a clue! :D We don't drink enough to have taken advantage of this - but it would have been SO easy to do!

Thanks for the update.

I'll be sailing AOS in August visiting..Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten and St. Thomas...Departure time for us will be 8:30pm....

Sad to hear the beaches are not that great in Curacao....I was planning on going....Aruba beach sounds interesting....

Now, I'm more excited about my up&coming cruise.

Thanks again for all your info...

Sandytoes:

Go to the beach in Curacao!!!!!! The beach itself is beautiful, it's just the sand that is not soft and you will need water shoes. My suggestion for a beach in Curacao is Cas Abou - it's really lovely.:)

Robyn I know you did a lot of research on Afts before you left. Was this the cruise you were resarching for or the Mariner? If so, how was it. I am going on Voyager Aft in January 2008 in JS 1694. Thanks and welcome back.

I was researching the AOS for our aft JS which was 1694. The cabin was really big (bigger than a side JS which my folks had) and the balcony of course was REALLY big! 2 full size loungers and 4 chairs with a table.

I took lots of pics and will post shortly! :)

CKRobyn, you said you do need a passport everytime you get off the ship??? What if you don't have a passport they will not let you go on the different ports?

What I really meant was that you need picture I.D - you can use your drivers license. They will let you OFF the ship with a sea pass only, but they require picture I.D to re-enter the secure dock area.

Hi CK Robyn,

My DH & I were right next door to you, in 1692, on the first leg of your B2B. Sorry we never did meet.

I am a huge fan of the aft cabins. This was my first on Voyager Class ships, and while the size of the aft balconies is GREAT, the view isn't as good as the Radience Class ships. I do love how quiet it is back there. The walk was never an issue--it was much needed!!

Question....it seems that many of the folks from the 2/25 cruise were getting sick towards the end of the week. Did you see any signs of an "outbreak" in the 2nd leg of your cruise?

:confused: I leave on April 8th for the AOS. You mentioned that you needed your passports everytime your boarded the ship? Why? Our seapass cards aren't enough this time. Do they tell you this ahead of time?

You also can bring your drivers license. You need a picture ID to get back on. I was on the week before Robyn. Just be sure to read the compass to see what you need at each port to re-board. I believe it was just a picture ID, but will review them in the morning to make sure I am not giving the wrong info.

Robyn.....we were on the week before you.......I was the one kicking and screaming as I was being pulled off as you were getting on board! ;) We had our first aft cabin......1688 which was very nice.

I wasn't all that impressed with the food. I didn't go hungry, but I didn't gain any weight either. (and after a bar tab that was over a grand I can't say I didn't have a few calories that way!) No big deal......I've just had better food on other RC cruises.

I was disappointed that the only omelet station was in the very aft beyond the Windjammer......(forget the name) because every other cruises I have been on they were in the windjammer and they only had the one and the line was always very long. They did have "pre-made" omelets in the Windjammer......not even close to made to order omelets.

In Curacao we went to the aquarium. It was really nice. Lots of hands on things.....picking up starfish and other sea creatures. We went to Palm Beach as well. Still like Magan's Bay over Palm Beach. But it was very nice! No complaints.

Glad you made it back safely. We, too, had beautiful weather.......not one drop of rain! Looked like we would get it one day, but the Captain took a little turn and we avoided it.

Welcome home!

Robyn,

Thanks for all the great info. We leave April 8th. Just a few questions..

Did you use the concierge? If so how was it? Who was the concierge? What are the formal nights and what would be a good night to go to Portofino? Was there a C & A event for Diamond/+ members and if so when? Any experience w/adventure ocean?

If we book an excursion at9:00 in Aruba will we make it off the ship in time? What was there to do in Aruba in the late evening? Can the kids stay on the ship in AO if they don't want to get off the ship?

Did you notice a Champagne Beverage Card? I saw another post, but didn't know if it was still available.

Sorry for all the ??? But, we are gettiing really excited!!!

Thanks for the help!

Jodi

Archived