Does RCCL upgrade without consent?

I'm curious if anyone has ever been upgraded without their permission. I've never been offered an upgrade, but I may choose to decline if I don't care for the location of the new cabin. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks!

I'm curious if anyone has ever been upgraded without their permission. I've never been offered an upgrade, but I may choose to decline if I don't care for the location of the new cabin. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks!

Hi there,

I've received upgrades (to my surprise) when I've received my documents as well as upon check-in. They usually won't do this unless something is noted in your record stating that you would like to receive a complimentary upgrade. They have to take into consideration that you might be traveling with a group and if only one cabin gets upgraded, it might separate you from your group. Your T/A and/or the cruise line should always contact the passenger when something like this might happen. I'm hoping for an upgrade on the Splendour transatlantic in April because there are still lots of outside cabins available and I'm a Diamond member so being on the cruise line a few times, certainly helps (in some cases)!

Laurie

Absolutely. They took away my aft corner and put me in a junior suite without my permission and that I did not want on my Panama cruise in Dec. I'm a diamond plus. We did not find out until after we boarded and our key didn't work. They probably thought they were doing a good thing but there was hell to pay trying to get my cabin back and it ruined my first day. You see a crazy woman at guest relations.....that was me.

Hi there,

I've received upgrades (to my surprise) when I've received my documents as well as upon check-in. They usually won't do this unless something is noted in your record stating that you would like to receive a complimentary upgrade. They have to take into consideration that you might be traveling with a group and if only one cabin gets upgraded, it might separate you from your group. Your T/A and/or the cruise line should always contact the passenger when something like this might happen. I'm hoping for an upgrade on the Splendour transatlantic in April because there are still lots of outside cabins available and I'm a Diamond member so being on the cruise line a few times, certainly helps (in some cases)!

Laurie

You're just hoping for the cabin with the fan boy, aren't you? :D

I've received upgrades as well with my final documentation, and baggage tags to match. I'd say that was done without my permission. However, I was pleased with the category and location upgrade, so I didn't bother calling the cruise line about it.

I've actually had a co-worker get an "upgrade" from a promenade stateroom on the Mariner on Deck 7, midship, to an oceanview on deck 3. To her, that wasn't much of an upgrade (she wanted the higher deck, and the view of the promenade). RCCL gave her original room away, but they were able to get her a promenade room on deck 6, a little more towards aft.

She wasn't pleased, obviously, but at least RCCL was amenable to getting her back where she was. Her travel agent also requested a notation in the reservation stating "NO CABIN CHANGES WITHOUT PASSENGER APPROVAL" or somesuch language.

If it's of concern, and you're in the cabin you want, maybe that would be the best thing to discuss with RCCL and/or your TA.

-Steve

I guess I got an upgrade and was NOT AT ALL HAPPY ABOUT IT!

We have a Junior Suite and an inside stateroom where I put my two teen boys in. Of course when you book, you put an adult in both rooms per THEIR proceedures.

Well, while going on line to book excursions, I notice that my inside was now a ocean view on DECK TWO! And, whoa, this room listed all three MINORS in it. No adult.

I know I didn't do this! There is no way I'm going up and down just to check on my teens, getting ready for dinners, excursions, I'm just lazy like that! They were 5 doors down from us on the same deck and now?

Two hours on the phone, I finally got them to see, although they told me it was upgrade, there was a mistake having all three minors in a room on a separate deck. I got the inside stateroom back on deck nine but they are allllllllllllllllllllllllllll the way down the hall - 20 staterooms in between us - but I got them back on Deck 9.... not happy at all about that!:mad:

We were never told of our upgrade on AOS until the key didn't work in the cabin door (D1 deck 6). Customer service told us we had the wrong room, and gave us a new number, but still didn't tell we had been upgraded, just "moved". I assumed it was another D1, on deck 10, but when we opened the door, we saw that it was a GS!!! Needless to say, we were VERY pleased!!!

we were upgraded twice and were very pleased with them. However, our next cruise, I chose a cabin on the hump with a huge balcony. I was afraid of an upgrade so I called my TA and told them to put a "DO NOT UPGRADE" on it. Hopefully that works. Of course if they wanted to give me the Royal Suite then that would be ok;)

Hi there,

Does anyone know how to do this? My cruise almost sold out -- but might ne nice to know for next time!

If anyone would know, it would be cruiselover57! She's my sister and is very consistent with getting upgrades. I will tell her to post what she knows. By the way, we have gone in multiple cabins and ALL have been upgraded at the same time.

Hi there,

Does anyone know how to do this? My cruise almost sold out -- but might ne nice to know for next time!

OK - here's what I did for this cruise coming up. I call up RCI and told them to note in my reservation that I would like a complimentary upgrade to an outside cabin should one become available - simple as that. I will probably check back with them about 1 week prior and also a few days before the cruise to see if anything has changed. If I don't get it, no big deal - at least I'm going. I wouldn't say I "whined" about anything (as my sister Julieanne) mentioned. It's just nice if they do give an upgrade, to give it to a passenger who is loyal to the line (no matter what cabins they've booked in the past) - they really tend to look at how many times a person has traveled with them and what level they are. Julianne is also right - we, as a family have been upgraded altogether to balcony rooms from an outside (maybe 5 cabins) which was great - our mother was a big influence on getting those upgrades for sure. It's harder to get upgrades though if it's a holiday cruise. Also, as I mentioned, some may not want to be upgraded if they have cabins altogether because someone might be split up from the group.

I just told her to post and I know she will! She's the upgrade queen. She actually whined the one time they only got the cabin they paid for! Oh, I am going to catch he** for this now! :D

Yes you are (well, maybe just a little) - I don't think I whined. May have been a bit disappointed but who cares? As long as I'm going, that's what counts! I won't whine on this one - just knowing there are many outside cabins still available makes me think I may have a good chance at getting one. Couldn't hurt - the cruise line has nothing to lose by giving one to me "gratis."

I was on the Radiance 2/3/07 and got an upgrade from an inside to an outside cabin that I did not request. Im glad it was on the same deck in the same area of the ship or I would not have liked it. In my opinion unless you request an upgrade they should ask you if you want it before assigning it. In my case it worked out fine.:)

Yes we did receive a complimentary upgrade on a Panama Canal Cruise on Brilliance. We had a D1 corner aft on deck 8 originally and they upgraded us to a JR suite on Deck 10 mid ship. We did not know we had an ugrade until my spouse filled out our pre boarding info on line. We were traveling by ourselves. We were platinum members and did not request an upgrade nor did we expect one. We have never asked for one either.We were surprised when our pre boarding info did not match our cruise documents..but we really enjoyed our JR suite and all the extra room.We just try to go with the flow and not get too wrapped up in things. It consumes to much energy. We were just happy to be on a cruise!!

Has anyone ever been moved to another cabin at the same level without being told or asked?

We are only 2 people, but we booked a cabin that will sleep 4 since it was one of the only ones left in the price category. Do we stand a chance of getting bumped within our category?

We did state that we are willing to be upgraded, but since we went super cheap - there are some kinda bad locations in our price category. :)

Thanks.

Hi there,

We never put any notes on our reservations for an upgrade and out of 5 cruises on RCCL we have had 2 very welcomed upgrades. I really don't know how their upgrade system works. I just know I don't want an upgrade on my next one. After that who knows?

Archived