Journey in Antarctica

See Norway

I have not be able to determine if the Antarctica sailings will include expeditions ashore on Zodiacs. I even called Celebrity and they had no clue. Does anyone know if the ship will be just sailing in Antarctica or if they will be doing shore excursions? Thanks!

The itinerary on Celebrity's website indicates "cruising" for all of the Antarctica islands. In the Shore Excursion section for those locations, nothing is available .... so it appears that the whole Antarctica portion is cruising only.

Dave - did you find something specific about going ashore on Coronation Island?

Not funny, I just went back and X is now showing 'Cruising' for all of the islands as you mentioned.

Either they changed the schedule, or I just haven't had enough caffeine:o .

Sorry about the misinformation.

Dave:eek:

Susan and Dave,

The itinerary on Celebrity's website indicates "cruising" for all of the Antarctica islands. In the Shore Excursion section for those locations, nothing is available .... so it appears that the whole Antarctica portion is cruising only.

Not funny, I just went back and X is now showing 'Cruising' for all of the islands as you mentioned.

Either they changed the schedule, or I just haven't had enough caffeine.

It's a bit early in the cycle. Celebrity's web site does not list shore excursions Yalta, Ukraine, yet, either, and MV Galaxy will visit there in early November. I understand that Celebrity is working out details for shore excursions in Antarctica, which probably will consist of small groups guided ashore by naturalists who are familiar with the ecological concerns of the area.

Norm.

Dave, I have just started doing research on a cruise to Antartica. Celebrity's Journey is priced incredibly low in comparison to other cruises. I think this is because they do not actually stop and use zodiacs in any of the three islands they listed. This is simply a cruising . . . . prices for those trips that include lots of zodiac experiences are very dear. . . . and the cabins are often very basic. Just got a catalogue from ". . . ." They have a great 20 day that starts and ends in Ushuaia. Price range from $5K to $9K pp, Also a 23 which also includes the Falklands from $8K-$16K. This pricing range seems to be the norm for most of the zodiac intensive trips. And again, when you look at pics of the cabins, very basic!! Expensive part of the world.

Susan and Dave,

It's a bit early in the cycle.

Celebrity's website is currently showing shore and land excursions for the Jan. 2008 S.A./Antartica itinerary for those ports where the ship is docked or tendered. It seems pretty definite that "cruising" is the only option in Antarctica.

I understand that Celebrity is working out details for shore excursions in Antarctica, which probably will consist of small groups guided ashore by naturalists who are familiar with the ecological concerns of the area.

Has someone from Celebrity advised you that they are working on shore excursions in Antarctica?

Thanks for the input everyone. I am doing my research on cruises to Antarctica and agree that this X trip is very reasonable. If I am going to take this trip I REALLY want one that makes the Zodiac landings. If anyone hears more about the X Journey cruise please post. I'd love to sail on X, but not if this is a "crusing" trip.

I went to Anarctica ten years ago with another company. I really recommend the zodiac and shore visits. The trip was very expensive but I wouldn't have wanted to do it differently. We slid down ice hills and once our boat tipped over when a big chunk of ice crashed into the water, creating a title wave. I loved tromping though the abandoned whaling village. We visited one of the scientific stations. They were happy to have visitors and stamped our passports.

Setting foot on Anarctica meant I can now say I've been to all 7 continents.

The cabin and whole ship were very basic but the food was great. There was a sauna. The crew was Russian. There was a 27 year-old Agentinian tour operator on a fam trip, otherwise, I was the youngest at age 33. Two of us were on airline discounts and one couple arrived in Ushaia on their own and made a deal at the port space-available. This is possible but iffy.

A lot of people were traveling without their spouse because of the high cost. If you don't really, really want to do it, the cost can't be justified. We even had two brother-in-laws who left the wife/sister behind!

I combined it with a whole trip to S. America, visiting Chile and Argentina and the second-youngest (39) joined me for some of it.

It is really "adventure" travel. I went with Marine Expeditions, a Canadian company and the author of Lonley Planet Anarctica was one of our guides.

This time, I'm going to the Med in August with my dh, three small kids and friends from here. A whole different ball game!

You're welcome to email me on Eclipsepearl at hotmail if you have any questions.

I really recommend the zodiac and shore visits.

Interesting post Eclipsepearl .... I too have been looking at various expedition type trips (also a Canadian company...Quest Nature Tours). We've decided that doing shore excursions is important to us in Antarctica. I'm sure that views from Journey will be wonderful and the price is great, but a lack of shore excursions in Antarctica is keeping us from booking Journey. I was hoping that Celebrity would use another Xpedition ship for that itinerary .... the one that they use in the Galapagos is the perfect size.

Went to Antartica last year in HAL Rotterdam, by Treaty ships with more than 200 passangers are NOT ALLOWED to have landings. Only "expedition" ships with less than 200 pass. can get zodiacs. We got pretty close to the shore though. My best friend did go in one of these "expedition" ships, a Russian icebreaker, and she did land in Antartica. She also told me that during the Drake Passage crossing she thought she was going to die, and she never gets seasick. We were in a very big ship and the waves were 40ft, it was hard to walk around, I can not imagine how it would be in a small ship, and it takes 2 days to cross in one of those, so I would HIGHLY reccomend that unless you REALLY REALLY want to step into the White Continent you go in a big ship, more comfortable, actually cheaper ( we talked at the airport in Santiago with a couple that was in a Linbad ship that we had actually seen when we were in Antartica and she told me how much they payed, 50% more than a balcony suite in the Rotterdam!!). God it is sooooo cold down there....

Went to Antartica last year in HAL Rotterdam, by Treaty ships with more than 200 passangers are NOT ALLOWED to have landings. Only "expedition" ships with less than 200 pass. can get zodiacs. We got pretty close to the shore though. My best friend did go in one of these "expedition" ships, a Russian icebreaker, and she did land in Antartica. She also told me that during the Drake Passage crossing she thought she was going to die, and she never gets seasick. We were in a very big ship and the waves were 40ft, it was hard to walk around, I can not imagine how it would be in a small ship, and it takes 2 days to cross in one of those, so I would HIGHLY reccomend that unless you REALLY REALLY want to step into the White Continent you go in a big ship....

Oh I guess I forgot to mention the seasickness! Too true. It was awful. It took a full 48 hours. I couldn't walk and I was soooo sick. I'm allergic to the meds but you can survive that way. The roughest seas in the world!

We were also on a Russian icebreaker and I think there were 50 pax.

It is actually not that cold down there in summer. Once you arrive, it's smooth as silk and there was virtually no wind.

It was worth it but my travels are more adventure/backpacking...until I had three kids. That changed things a bit...

Susan-M,

Celebrity's website is currently showing shore and land excursions for the Jan. 2008 S.A./Antartica itinerary for those ports where the ship is docked or tendered. It seems pretty definite that "cruising" is the only option in Antarctica.

You are correct about the listed itinerary, but that could change in a heartbeat if a shore excursion becomes possible. And it's also possible that the ship cannot moor or anchor, and thus must continue cruising back and forth nearby while excursion groups are on land.

The shore excursions listed on Celebrity's web site are those of current or recent cruises that called at each ports. Celebrity may drop some of the existing excursions and/or add new excursions before January. If there are no shore excursions listed for a particular port, the only thing that you can infer is that Celebrity's ships have not called there recently.

I'm on a cruise that's now scheduled to call at Yalta, Ukraine, in November of 2007, and there were no shore excursions listed when I looked a week or two ago.

Has someone from Celebrity advised you that they are working on shore excursions in Antarctica?

I based my comments on another fairly recent discussion about this, but I don't recall whether it was in another thread on this site or on a similar discussion board on another site. In any case, the shore excursions for cruises in the fall of this year and beyond are not yet final.

Norm.

We did Quark's Falklands/South Georgia/Peninsula itinerary this January. We were on the 48-pax Molchanov. We did have some heavy seas - force 8 gale crossing from S America to the Falklands and 30 ft waves one night crossing the Drake Passage back to Ushuaia. Those who had taken precautions never had a problem with seasickness - my husband and I used the patch and were fine. Unfortunately, those who did not heed the warnings of the expedition crew suffered quite a bit until their meds kicked in. The Quark physician dispensed meds of varying strength as necessary. In coastal waters and around the Peninsula, we were fine with no patch/no meds.

The Molchanov did bob like a cork even when the waters were relatively calm, but that was all part of the experience and no one really complained; not even those who had to seclude themselves in their cabins at times. No one missed any of the landings. And by the time we arrived in S Georgia (day 6 - with two days of landings and three sea days), everyone had their sea legs and we had a full contingent at all meals.

Overall, there was discomfort in rough seas, but everyone agreed that being able to make landings and do zodiac cruises was worth it (nothing like looking down the throat of a leopard seal with just a feet or two separating you). With only 48 pax, we were all off the ship in 15-20 minutes at the most, and stayed on land anywhere from 2-3 hours, sometimes longer if there was a hike involved.

There are larger ships that make landings (Marco Polo, comes to mind - they restrict the number of total pax on the cruise to about 400 or so I think; and there is the Nordnorge and Nordkapp, with fewer pax I believe), but you do have to take turns on landings and that will cut into time on shore.

I respect everyone's choice to travel in the size of ship that makes them most comfortable. And, admittedly, the small ship expeditions are very, very expensive. They are, however, worth every penny and for us it was the "only" way to go.

I would also say that if you are going for the wildlife as well as the scenic aspect of Antarctica, an itinerary that includes S Georgia is a must. (It does add more sea days to the voyage, but that increases opportunities to see the wanderers and other seabirds in flight; a very majestic sight.)

I am still working on a summary of our trip - up to 50 pages so far - and pictures will be a while coming, but if anyone is interested in reading the trip summary and seeing the pictures, post a note on this thread with your email address and I will email you the file when I am done. I'll probably post the summary on the S America Board as well, if you prefer to read it online.

Let me emphasize, I can't take seasickness meds. I'm allergic. I've ended up in the hospital with reactions to these sorts of drugs. In case you're wondering about my job, yes, I did get sick on flights and had to be careful so I am not immune to motion sickness. Even if you don't have a history like I do, I highly recommend getting something and taking it (or slapping it on) as soon as you're going to hit rough waters. They will be able to tell you when that is and these meds work better to prevent motion sickness than stopping it once it starts. No need to suffer.

The other passengers and myself came to the conclusion that it was genetic. Some of us were sick, some weren't and there wasn't too much in between. A mother and daugher, 45 and 78 were scampering around like billy goats the whole time without a moment of ill feeling.

The wildlife itself was so worth it. The animals are so unused to people that they're not afraid. Nothing like wading though baby penguins and those huge walrus seals only a few feet away!

You don't see Emperor or King Penguins. They live more in the interior of Antarctica. You do see a lot of other breeds. I found "Happy Feet" pretty entertaining. There are few times that penguin knowedge is useful.

One small detail, mentioning going to Anarctica is a conversation killer. You're talking about something else and let slip "Yes, I bought this jacket for going to Antarctica. It's Gore-Tex..." Forget talking about your jacket anymore. Once, I had some idiot hotel clerk try to give me some story as if I never stayed in hotels, ever. I was all "Listen, I'm an ex-Flight Attendant whose been to all seven continents..." He looks at me smugly "That's impossible. You would have had to have been to Antarctica..." and guess what I then said??

I wish I could recommend this trip but it's just so costly, you have to really want to go. Sailing by just isn't the same...

I recently came back from Chilean Fjords and Antarctica cruise on the MS Nordkapp, a Hurtigruten (Norwegian Coastal Voyages) trip which I booked through Vantage World Travel. This is an expedition cruise with 200-300 passengers that makes approx. two landings each day you're in Antarctica, weather permitting. An extremely affordable trip - Vantage rates were much cheaper than NCV's posted website rates and the single supplement they offered was only $500. The trip was amazing!!

I believe next season (2007-2008) Vantage will be offering several different Antarctica expedition trips - some including the Chilean Fjords and some without them, but stopping at South Georgia instead. You should check them out if you want to have a comfortable well-priced and active trip!!

Everyone's talking about seasickness - and these ships are NOT as small as the Explorer or Discovery or Russian ships which I think makes them a bit more comfortable in bad weather. The cabins are smaller than on a large cruise ship, but very comfortable. There's no night life - lectures and movies by the expedition staff instead. There's only one dining room but the food is quite good, with a large variety and excellent desserts. Of course, if the weather's real bad - like our return trip across the Drake through the "storm of the century" with 50-80 foot swells and 70 mph winds, not much is going to help you. We were told that even people who don't get seasick usually do on that 36-hour passage (although I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who don't get seasick even at that level).

If seasickness is a REAL issue - take a larger ship cruise, but make sure it stops at say the Falkland Islands and South Georgia. At least that way you'll get to see some penguins up close and personal in the landings available to large cruise ships there. I don't believe large cruise ships make ANY landings in Antarctic waters.

You are correct about the listed itinerary, but that could change in a heartbeat if a shore excursion becomes possible.

Hi Norm,

Yes, that's a possibility, but I wouldn't want to book unless I knew for sure.

I'm on a cruise that's now scheduled to call at Yalta, Ukraine, in November of 2007, and there were no shore excursions listed when I looked a week or two ago.

But when you booked your cruise, did the itinerary show "cruising" or "docked/tendered" for Yalta?

Archived