Help Soot!

afdds

I am specifically referring to numerous complaints of copious amounts of black soot dropping unto the balcony of our stateroom 8277 (as well as that of our traveling companions in 8272) which I presented to the Spirit Purser staff beginning the fourth day of our cruise (including an initial SOOT sample which I had I collected in a plastic baggie on Friday) and continuing through the last day of the cruise. The only formal response I received was the attached FORM letter referencing only one of my written comment/complaints (ref # 001948298A). Although I did speak directly to the Ship’s Environmental Officer, Gianni, (and him provided a second SOOT sample which I had again collected in a plastic baggie) ) on two separate occasions, he could neither explain the cause of this disgusting situation, nor offer any assurance that it would be resolved during the course of our Cruise.

More importantly, after I cited my wife’s Cancer survivor status as well as my own health concerns as a post 9/11 NYC recovery official, (Gianni could or would not explain any of the possible health related effects resulting for being exposed to this soot (I do have one remaining soot sample which I collected on on the last afternoon of our cruise, I will gladly share it with your offices, assuming the ship’s personnel have not done so).

Ok, I'm frecking out from reading this. I'm booked in this cabin on the Legend in April. Has anyone else had problems with soot on the Legend?

I personally have found no soot on any of my aft balconies, a friend of mine said she had a light dusting, in the morning she would wipe it up with a towel.

If you look at the other posts from the person you quoted, you will find nothing has ever been right one any of his cruises, i would take his posts with a grain of salt.

I have had aft balconies 7 out of 9 times. I didnt have a problem either.. but also wipe everything down before we use it each day. DOntleave nothing out overnight.

I for one have other things to do on a cruise then collect soot samples from a balcony.

Just wipe it down before yousit and you will be fine.

I hate to tell you this, but we did have a "soot problem" our last cruise on Spirit. We were in wraparound aft balcony one deck below Lido. We were on the balcony at night, came in and there were black spots all over the rug! I realized that I "tracked them in." Looked like shoe polish. I PANICED. Thought I "did something wrong." Then we realized it was the soot. Didn't have it too bad, but just be aware that it CAN come down on your balcony. Check chairs before you sit on them. I brought a towel out with me to wipe them down. BTW, I left a note for our steward apologizing for the mess I made of the rug! When we got back from breakfast the next day the mess was gone ;) We booked the same cabin for next Feb. That is how "worried" I am about the problem! :rolleyes:

I have never had soot. In fact, my husband will only cruise if we get AFT balcony cabins.

I too, would just have to wipe in down if I did, or ask my room steward to do it. Even this inconvenience would be worth the privilage of having these cabins. Just like anything in life, You either love them or not....we do!!!!!

Maybe people want to discourage these rooms since they want them to be more available? If you change your mind, then there is one available!

These boards are great, but you have to be careful in what you trust and believe.

The Captain ain't trying to take sides here, but if some have had balconies and noticed any kind of "dusting" on their balconies, isn't there a slight possibility that the OP making this claim might be on to something?

The only kind of dusting I have noticed when we have had balconies was just the white stuff :D , NO NOT THAT KIND OF WHITE STUFF, lol :D Just dried salt from the ocean spray. If it is anything but white (black, grey) then maybe, just maybe.........

Happy cruising

Thanks for all the help. This is where I found the post. I love aft balconies, but we have always been sandwiched in between decks with cabins. I've never booked the Panorama deck and now I'm questioning my decision. We will be traveling with another couple that have not cruised before and I suggested these cabins. I don't mind cleaning a little soot, but not sure how the other couple will feel.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=514928

Will take poster with a grain of salt. I will think positive and hope the soot isn't a big deal.

Haven't you guys seen that crap that comes out of the smoke stack? It is soot, those things burn diesel, usually it never has a chance to come down on balconies, but I can imagine at a slow speed or during a port stop, it is a definite possibility, depending upon the wind. It is a by-product of all diesel engines...

I have been on cruises where we left stuff outside on the balcony to dry, like scuba gear, and occasionally, you encounter some soot. And it's not specific to aft balconies, as I've had it happen elsewhere.

I am not all that concerned about it, but I wouldn't leave any clothes out there to dry - a lot depends on the direction of the wind. It's a good idea to ask your cabin steward for a balcony towel - one you can use to wipe down the chairs and table. It's not just soot you have to worry about - things get damp and salty and sometimes seagulls leave you a present out there!

The benefits of having a balcony out weigh any of the negatives.

Soot happens! :p I would think if you were booking a aft cabin the price should be less.
I'm gonna' make sure I bring that up the next time I am booking an aft! LOVE the aft cabins! :)

Maybe we can start getting that beautiful 9A for less than an OV because of the soot..:rolleyes: :p IMHO

I was on the Pride last year in a aft cabin, everyday there was ash on the deck and rail.

not being of super IQ or anything i looked up and seen the the smoke from the engine blowing overhead. i also read that CCL burns some of the trash during the night as they do not dump anything overboard.

i put 2 and 2 together as to where the ash came from, it was a very quick deal to wipe down the chair and railing, except the last day when i had to get a snow shovel to clean off the deck.

(:) opps never mind the last part, i had to do that when i got home:) )

Hi debra,

It's micheline, I saw your post and I just wanted to wish you a happy cruise! I hope you rememmber me. I was on the fantasy with you. We had a great time on that cruise! We are going in one week on the Valor with my 2 teen girls. Glad to hear you from you. Say hello to your hubby. Have fun cruising.

Conquest Aft cabin. Soot on everything. Not much but it was there. Just wiped all down before sitting and leaning and :). Lady next door didn't catch it in time and her nice white/white shorts weren't so white any more.

We were on the Pride last month in an aft wrap cabin on the Verandah deck and had very minimal soot problems and no actual ash. There were a couple of spots here and there once in a while, but easily cleanable and in fact, I think our steward cleaned it, because I would see a spot or in the morning and then later it was gone.

Archived