Quantas and Baggage

Brookeh424

I was just looking at the quantas flight and I saw that for Australian domestic flights, they allow economy passengers only 1 checked bag....is this true?? We are flying international which has the same rules as the US, but then we are doing an Australian leg....I think we usually only take one checked bag each....but just in case I want to know if we truly are limited to one checked bag.....THANKS. (yes, I rambled a bit).

Route Piece Allowance and Dimensions Weight Allowance Australian DomesticBusiness: 3 pieces

Economy: 1 piece

Total dimensions* of each piece must not exceed 140cm (54in)

32kg (70lb) per piece

First of all, please forgive me a personal mantra: "There is no 'u' in Qantas."

The free baggage allowance on Qantas' Australian domestic flights is indeed one checked bag per person.

But there are two things you should bear in mind.

First, if you're connecting from an international flight to the domestic flight, you should be entitled to the higher baggage allowance.

Second, the excess baggage charge is trivial, anyway, if you want to check more than one piece: it's only AUD 20 per piece + GST (ie AUD 22 total). See this page. Given how cheap it now is to fly domestically within Australia, this is hardly a big problem.

I always for get there is no "u", suppose that could easily be a pet peeve. OOPS!! :eek:

Anyway, we are not connecting from an international flight so the limits will apply. We are taking a flight from Sydney to Cairns. Thanks for letting me know the fees and you are right those are pretty trivial in the grand scheme.

Hopefully we'll be within the limits anyway, but if we have extra bag it won't be the hundreds of dollars that you end up paying here in the US (and I've even had it happen in Japan pre 9/11).

THANKS.

I believe if you look at the Qantas website, they have an exception for international travelers even if the international ticket is separate from the domestic ticket (but you need to show them the international portion).

32 kgs is a lot . i always thought it was a limit of 20 kilos. I would hate to be lugging around a 32 kilo suitcase. Lucky we have 5 people so we can take 5 bags as we are travelling qantas too.

karon

Anyway, we are not connecting from an international flight so the limits will apply. We are taking a flight from Sydney to Cairns.

We did the exact same thing and then back again. No problems with more than one checked bag, I think the 2 of us had 2 checked bags each. I did hold my breath both times, but they didn't say a word. The return to SYD was even booked separate from our original tickets. Our main suitcases were only 45 lbs--no where near the maximum--so maybe that helped. The a.m. SYD-CNS flight continued onto Japan so there was lots of luggage! I was glad I ended up booking CNS-SYD on Qantas rather than Virgin Blue or Jetstar because we probably would have had a problem with them.

Guest caribcruzin

What about the luggage limit if you are flying two separate airlines. We are flying Air New Zealand to and from the US. We will be staying in Sydney a few days THEN we will be flying Qantas from Sydney to Ayers Rock and then on to Cairns and then back to Sydney for a few more days before boarding the ship. Can we take all our bags with us or do we have to use the luggage hold at the airport?

What about the luggage limit if you are flying two separate airlines. We are flying Air New Zealand to and from the US. We will be staying in Sydney a few days THEN we will be flying Qantas from Sydney to Ayers Rock and then on to Cairns and then back to Sydney for a few more days before boarding the ship. Can we take all our bags with us or do we have to use the luggage hold at the airport?

The limit on QANTAS domestic flights in Australia is 20kg per passenger. More than that and you'll be charged per kg over.

The limit on QANTAS domestic flights in Australia is 20kg per passenger. More than that and you'll be charged per kg over.
No, the baggage allowance really is exactly what's been posted at the beginning of this thread. In economy, 1 piece, to weigh no more than 32 kg (70 lbs). Excess charge: AUD 20 + GST per piece.

The only exception is on Dash-8 aircraft, where the max allowance is 20 kg (or 14 kg to/from Lord Howe Island).

Can we take all our bags with us or do we have to use the luggage hold at the airport?
You can certainly take them all with you. You'll just have to pay extra for the excess over your free allowance.

Globiliser is correct. On domestic airlines in economy, you can have one suitcase weighing up to 30kg. It is a huge amount to lug around. We have often had 24kg but no more. Qantas are very good with weight.

By the way QANTAS stands for Queensland and Northern Territory Air Services. That was the original name of the airline and it started in far north Queensland, hence there is no U in the word.

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...
By the way those 2 piece rules only apply to flights emerging or returning to the American continent. For the rest of us suckers it is 20 kg or 44 pounds ONLY!

That is correct if we are flying to Europe and the United Kingdom in Economy and 30kg if we are flying Business with only one suitcase.

As Globiliser and I have stated we are still allowed 30kg with one case if flying within Australia.

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

As a former TA, I'd recommend that you actually go onto the websites of the airlines on which you are flying. QANTAS as a major world carrier keeps their site current. If that is what it says on the website believe it.

There is an exception: eg. if you are flying LAX/SYD but are immediately connecting to Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne whatever... then your international flight baggage allowance will get you to your first destiination (read STOP point) in Oz. After a nite in the hotel, if you fly from an Oz city to another you will be subject to Domestic flight baggage allowances and should you wish to hiphop around with all your baggage, may be subject to charges for excess baggage.

Similarly if you are deprting Oz, but going through SYD (as a connection only) for example to LAX or SFO, then the international baggage allowances would take effect for that the two flights that comprise your return flights to the USA.

Hope this helps, and...

Ciao for now!!!

Archived