Air New Zealand Fares

I know this may sound very anal, but I've been playing around with the Air New Zealand booking site. We don't go until next February but I like to start analyzing early. If we were to book for April our round trip to Auckland and back from Sydney is xxxx, in June a few dollars less, in November the same, in December $305 more and in January $452 more.

For all you experienced travelers out there, is this a seasonal thing or, because the December and January flights are so far out they just command higher fares now but will drop them later in the year?

Thanks,

Ralph

From the UK, the cheapest time to fly to Australia is mid-April (after UK schools go back) to end-June. The most expensive time is in the two weeks before Christmas, with only a small scaling-back after Christmas.

So it looks to me like you're seeing the normal seasonality in fares. Don't expect December fares to go down at all.

All the posters are correct. Dec-Jan is the peak season in and out of Australia.

My other recommendation is (assuming you are travelling Economy) that, if all other considerations are equal, take Air New Zealand ... the 34" seat pitch will be worth it.

Also consider Premium Economy ... 38" seat pitch + extras .. for a price that's not too much more than Economy ... but a lot less than Business.

QANTAS doesn't have Premium Economy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

If you want to travel cheaply try Air Pacific through Nadi, Fiji. You leave LAX at 2230 and arr NAN at 0530. With a 4 hr layover+/- minutes then you're onto your next 3 + hr flt to either AKL or SYD.

Granted the seat pitch is not as good as NZ or QF, but after 5 hrs in the seat you wanna get up and stretch anyway even if it's the middle of the night.

Ciao for now!!!

Air

We have just taken four flights with Air New Zealand in Economy and I would recommend them to anyone.

We flew Melbourne to Auckland return and both planes were very comfortable with plenty of leg room and good meals.

We flew Auckland to Norfolk Island and again the plane was comfortable though smaller, a 737, and again we had good meals and service.

Next year we are flying to Vancouver and we are seriously thinking of using Air New Zealand for the flight as they are starting a non stop flight later on this year from Auckland.

With regard to your question re fares, yes December to February would be the most expensive time to fly to Australia and New Zealand as it is our summer and also school holiday time and that is when the majority of people travel.

I looked at the Premium Economy seats when we were embarking and disembarking the planes and I didn't think that they were worth the extra money. If you want to have a good seat go for Business, it is a huge difference both in comfort and in price!!

Jennie

Archived