Smoking on cruiseships

Smartcookie

I've yet to enter a cabin or hotel room and be overcome by the stench of lingering perfume, but if you say so.....:rolleyes:

It's not unusual at all the enter a hotel room that wreaks of perfume and the smell of that takes longer to fade than a cigarette. The worst place is in a restaurant or in the ships dining rooms where just about every woman has a different perfume on and they all seem to work on the basis that they'll wear as much as possible of the heaviest perfume they can get their hands on so as theirs is noticed... There's nothing worse than chewing on perfume when your trying to eat.

Some of those perfumes, particularly in a crowded ship's elevator, make my eyes water, and then the sneezing starts!

Some of those poor old dears have perhaps lost their sense of smell, and then overuse it.

MikeBrill noted Oceania's very strong smoking policy. We've been on Oceania twice, and we never smelled tobacco smoke. Didn't smell perfume either - different clientele I guess.

Suddenly, cigarettes stink much more and everybody's allergic. Yeah, right.:rolleyes:

It's not that they stink more it's that they don't stink less...With all the areas that are now smoke free we are finding out how good cleaner air is...

I am not sure what you are trying to say I am sorry...we just stayed at a Hilton in Orlando and we were offered a smoking or a non smoking room also at a Holiday Inn I believe is where we stayed a few months back and we were offered a smoking or a non smoking. I feel the same way you do why should a cruiseline be any different. :)

PS It is not like I was suggesting wearing jeans in the dining room for heavens sake :)

Smoking is much worst I think:)

Why Go On A Cruise If Its That Bad? People Complain About The Smoke, About The Fat In The Food,people Drinking,chair Hogs,just Plain Loud Rude People.it Sounds Like I'm In New York City.[/quote]

Oh,Oh! Now you have really gone and done it :eek:

:D

I Call Myself Stupid For Smoking, But No One Else Should. I Am A Cancer Survivor, I Have Emphysema, I Work As A Technician On The Cardiac Floors. But, When On A Cruise, I Stay Away From Non-smokers. Funny, What Gives Me An Asmtha Attack Is Perfume, Cologne, After Shave And Musk. On The Sun Princess A Few Months Ago, I Swear Every Waiter Wore The Same Musk Cologne. I Nearly Choked Every Night. I Had To Use Inhalers Before I Ate In Order To Breathe. So, Perfume Wearers, Please Understand That Their Are A Lot Of Respiratory People In This World Too. The Smokers Have Taken Over, But I Wish I Could Stop All Aromas (even In Cleaning Products). But, Guess What, I'm Going On The Sun Again In Two Weeks. I Am Glad To Be Alive. Stop Complaining And Just Enjoy Life. Life Is Precious.

Are we going to get to the stage where we'll be telling people they can't smoke in their own homes or automobiles???! :mad:

Just saw a news segment yesterday, in a town in California they are working to do just that. No smoking in public, including outside anywhere in the town, and no smoking in any apartment or condo. Only place you'd be able to smoke in this town is in a single family home.:eek: If that's not an infringement on rights I don't know what is!

fpopcorn2.gif

Can you pass me some Casshew?

Do they sell cigarettes and cigars on the cruise ship? nuff said!

Indeed, and it's onboard revenue that they don't want to mess with.

I find it interesting that all of the law makers want to ban smoking everywhere and yet profit from the smokers by raising the taxes on cigarettes every chance they get.

I find it interesting that all of the law makers want to ban smoking everywhere, raise the taxes on cigarettes to make it so costly for smokers, and yet in the Capital building they have the benefit of being able to purchase cigarettes cheap, cheap, cheap! We're talking duty free pricing here.:confused:

I find it interesting that all the people wanting to ban smoking everywhere don't see that when they're finished with the smokers they'll be coming after something else.

Our society today is too caught up in making it 'safe' for everyone that sooner or later we'll all be giving up everything and living in true dictatorship on what we can and can not do. Makes Caribbean island living look that much more pleasant!:D

Our society today is too caught up in making it 'safe' for everyone that sooner or later we'll all be giving up everything and living in true dictatorship on what we can and can not do. Makes Caribbean island living look that much more pleasant!:D

AMEN AMEN!! Someone who finally GETS IT!!! Oh THANK YOU!!:D :D It's like society has decided that being born entitles one to perfect safety and everyone has bought this bill of goods and they're all ready to hand over any and all personal freedoms for the illusion of safety. And, of course, it's an illusion. NOT ONE OF US IS GETTING OUT OF HERE ALIVE!!! Yes, it DOES make Caribbean living look even more pleasant.

I am all for no smoking anywhere - I would go for the tickets proposed in MA for drivers smoking with a child under the age of 5 (or so). Why should the smokers have the rights and the non-smokers who have worse effect from the second hand smoke have none??? In our town you cannot smoke anywhere. Marrriotts have no smoking and it has not hurt their sales one :cool: bit.

Way back in 9th grade (more than 30 years ago) I wrote a term paper on the dangers of second hand smoke. At the time, there was very little public support for smoking bans. I couldn't have dreamed that now in North Carolina (a traditionally tobacco friendly place) the legislature would ban smoking in state offices--and is now considering a ban in public places, including restaurants and bars. (N&O story here.)

AMEN AMEN!! Someone who finally GETS IT!!! Oh THANK YOU!!:D :D It's like society has decided that being born entitles one to perfect safety and everyone has bought this bill of goods and they're all ready to hand over any and all personal freedoms for the illusion of safety. And, of course, it's an illusion. NOT ONE OF US IS GETTING OUT OF HERE ALIVE!!! Yes, it DOES make Caribbean living look even more pleasant.

So to understand what you keep saying:)

Smoking good:D

Non-Smoking bad:mad:

If we got a room that had been smoked in...I would be pissed. I didn't even know people were allowed to smoke in the rooms. Now that I know I'm going to call Princess and make sure I don't have a room that's been smoked in. And the person on the live thread did have the room steward clean the carpets and change the bed sheets again and she said it still smelled like smoke. Not to mention that when you get home all your stuff smells like smoke... hair, luggage, clothes, souvenirs, etc. It's gross, not to mention some people can't breathe around smoke. And about the perfume, give me a break... perfume doesn't linger around for weeks.

It's not unusual at all the enter a hotel room that wreaks of perfume and the smell of that takes longer to fade than a cigarette. The worst place is in a restaurant or in the ships dining rooms where just about every woman has a different perfume on and they all seem to work on the basis that they'll wear as much as possible of the heaviest perfume they can get their hands on so as theirs is noticed... There's nothing worse than chewing on perfume when your trying to eat.

No kidding! I've lost count of how many meals have been ruined for me because of someone seated next to or near us that is absolutely BATHED in perfume or cologne! I'm allergic to most perfumes and fragrances and when people just plain overdo it, I am unable to breathe and I begin to choke uncontrollably. I usually have to leave the restaurant/dining room and don't get to finish my meal.

Whatever happened to a little dab'll do ya? The effects of the perfume and the taste of it in your throat lingers for hours!

Can we ban perfume and cologne too? Pleeeeeassse!!!!!:(

Perfume is very offensive to many people. How fair is it that the non-perfume-wearing people have to live with the horrible smell of all the perfume-wearing people all over the ship (including the rooms, where it lingers?)

Perfume doesn't cause lung cancer like secondhand smoke does!

No kidding! I've lost count of how many meals have been ruined for me because of someone seated next to or near us that is absolutely BATHED in perfume or cologne! I'm allergic to most perfumes and fragrances and when people just plain overdo it, I am unable to breathe and I begin to choke uncontrollably. I usually have to leave the restaurant/dining room and don't get to finish my meal.

Whatever happened to a little dab'll do ya? The effects of the perfume and the taste of it in your throat lingers for hours!

Can we ban perfume and cologne too? Pleeeeeassse!!!!!:(

OK.

Smoking good:D

Perfume bad:mad:

BTW, how do you keep the smoke from smelling worst then the perfume:confused:

If my perfume can be smelled by anyone other than the man nibbling on my neck, I'm wearing too much. That's my standard -- if he can smell it without being pretty much "in my face," I wash it off. I try to apply that same standard to any odor I might produce or apply, and I appreciate it when others do, as well.

I have gotten out of the habit -- completely -- of using perfumes in the dining room (even at home) and in restaurants, because I don't want to take a chance that even a dot of it will compete with the flavor of the food we're all trying to enjoy.

Archived