whittier help

txracefan

Do you know how you're getting from Whittier to Anchorage? There are shuttles and the train that leave Whittier, but I think they all go within a few hours of the cruise ship docking. If you can get to Anchorage later, the small boat tours from Whittier are good. There's not much in Whittier otherwise. In Anchorage, you can go to the museums, native arts center, etc.

If there is an earlier flight, you can stand by for that flight at the airport. I avoid the dread red-eye whenever possible, and will even overnight somewhere so I don't have to fly all night.

Thanks for the help.Don't mind the late time.Really wanted to do a Glacier tour.Know we will have to find our on way to Anchorage.Just wanted to know what you do with the luggage if you do one on your own ,instead of through the ship.

Thanks for the help.Don't mind the late time.Really wanted to do a Glacier tour.Know we will have to find our on way to Anchorage.Just wanted to know what you do with the luggage if you do one on your own ,instead of through the ship.

The company you take your glacier cruise in Whittier with will keep your luggage at their office.

I also don't mind the red eye returning - well it was the only option for me this coming July when I am returning from King Salmon via Anchorage to Minneapolis...or spend the night. Didn't want to lose the day, I can rest well on airplanes and for this trip I am in first class using miles. But then I am a guy who flies from Atlanta to Minneapolis with a 90 minute layover in Amsterdam!

We're taking a Prince William Sound small ship cruise and then taking the evening train from Whittier to Anchorage. This is the one we're doing, but there are others:

http://www.princewilliamsound.com/579.cfm

Our plane leaves at 1:00 am!:D

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary. We sailed the Island last year to Alaska for our 25th. Had a wonderful time. Wishing you good weather, a smooth sailing, and many happy memories!

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary. We sailed the Island last year to Alaska for our 25th. Had a wonderful time. Wishing you good weather, a smooth sailing, and many happy memories!

Thanks for your good wishes. This will be our third year in a row going on an Alaskan cruise. I can't think of a better way to celebrate our 30th!:D

If you do a glacier boat tour, they return in time for taking the Alaska RR. You would have a block of time downtown Anchorage, with luggage, but you probably could take a cab to a nice resturant, have dinner, with your bags stored by the resturant, then another cab to the airport?

But then I am a guy who flies from Atlanta to Minneapolis with a 90 minute layover in Amsterdam!

Okay, I'll bite... do you mind sharing the story behind this?

If you do a glacier boat tour, they return in time for taking the Alaska RR.

I believe AKRR train transfer would be cutting way too close for comfort. Leaving Whittier 6:45p, arriving Anchorage 9:15p. With a 10:05p flight, I would not chance it. I believe she read Alaska05 departure time rather than txracefan, as this isn't typical advice from her!:)

I agree the PWS day tour out of Whittier would be a fabulous way to spend the day, and the company will store your luggage. The tour company might have some great ideas for transfers with regard to your flight-time. Limo perhaps.

Okay, I'll bite... do you mind sharing the story behind this?

I believe AKRR train transfer would be cutting way too close for comfort. Leaving Whittier 6:45p, arriving Anchorage 9:15p. With a 10:05p flight, I would not chance it. I believe she read Alaska05 departure time rather than txracefan, as this isn't typical advice from her!:)

I agree the PWS day tour out of Whittier would be a fabulous way to spend the day, and the company will store your luggage. The tour company might have some great ideas for transfers with regard to your flight-time. Limo perhaps.

Absolutely correct. Sorry for getting the times mixed, and giving the wrong advice.

I instead would suggest getting to Anchorage, early and getting a one day car rental. Plenty of places to go and enjoy and time enough for very scenic Hatcher Pass, if of interest.

Archived