Misc. Amsterdam questions

For those of you who have been unable to find a private tour in Amsterdam that can accommodate less mobile individuals, I wanted to let you all know that there is an option available to you.

I am a single woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis and was going to be in Amsterdam for 1 day. As I had never been in Europe and was traveling alone, I was concerned about trying to tour on my own. I would also be arriving on an early morning flight and would only have about 6-8 hours to see as much of Amsterdam as possilbe. I found http://www.seniorhollandtravel.com to be an excellent solution for me.

When I called the office, Wynand Vandiggelen answered. He is the owner and operator. He was very pleasant and spoke English (which was a strong requirement for me). We setup a pickup time at the airport and I gave him some information about the things I would like to see. I had wanted to see the countryside and such places as Zaanse Schans and the Keukenhof Tulip gardens were of interest.

My flight to Amsterdam was delayed and I was concerned that Wynand would not have realized that I would be late. I was very happy to see him waiting for me dressed very neatly in sports jacket, dress shirt and tie. He was holding a sign with my name and was very easy to find.

The rest of the day was a wonderful experience. We first went to the Keukenhof Gardens (http://www.keukenhof.nl/nm/english.html) and saw the tulips and spring bulb flowers in full-bloom. As I was traveling alone, I greatly appreciated having Wynand walking with me and providing education about the gardens and the flowers.

We had coffee and pastries at a small cafe in the gardens and chatted about many things. Wijnand was very affable and it was a pleasure to talk about his life in Holland.

After the Keukenhof gardens, we proceeded to a small village called Zaanse Schanse (http://www.zaanseschans.nl/). Tour buses go to this location regularlary, but I am sure those patrons who were 80 strong in a large tour bus did not have the same wonderful experience that I did. Once again, Wijnand was very informative and stayed by my side for the entire visit. We also enjoyed a local lunch of Dutch Pancakes (Do not think these are covered in maple syrup!).

Once we left Zaanse Schanse, Wynand drove toward the fishing town of Volendam. We traveled many small local roads and the view was dotted with small farms along the way.

Once in Volendam, Wynand and I walked throught the town and I was amazed by the local architecture and the clean, well-kept aura about the town. We then stopped at a local pub and were treated to some snacks from the barmaid as we drank some Amstel Light.

By this time I was very tired from Jet Lag and a wonderful touring day. Wynand deposited me safely to my hotel. I enjoyed the entire day ALL inclusive for the low price of 199 EUROS. This was for the Car and Chauffer/Tourguide. It was NOT per person!!

I want you all to know that this day TOTALLY exceeded all of my expectations and I feel that I saw more of Holland than I would have seen in 3 days on my own. I also feel that I have a better sense of the "real" Holland, not just the "tourist" Holland

For those of you who have not been able to get an exclusive tour... THIS IS THE ONE!!

We booked him because of your glowing recommendation. He replied promptly to our email and was very agreeable to what we needed. Thanks for the tip.

As the OP requested, here is specific info re Keukenhof (which I have visited several times and intend to visit again in early May). There was once an old castle/palace and its grounds have been converted to a huge park where plantings of all sorts of bulbs can be seen. The beds are in different arrangements - some straight rows between hedges, others with curves and dips around lakes. There are at least two large exhibition halls where you can see interesting displays which change frequently. An old windmill is in the midst of the gardens and you can climb up to its viewing platform and get a panaromic appreciation of the gardens. There are trees, shrubs, bulbs, you name it to be enjoyed!

The idea of hiring the car/driver sounds great and if he's available, I would jump on that!

Have also used left luggage at the airport and it is dead easy.

In fact, everything in Holland is dead easy - remember, these are people who repelled the Atlantic Ocean a bucket of dirt at a time. They are wonderful folks and I love their country!

But open only a few weeks of the year!!! Closes again on May 20 2007..

http://www.keukenhof.nl/nm/english.html

Ine - many thanks for all the suggestions you offer. We will be in Amsterdam for 3 days (precruise) July 7, 2007. We are staying at the Renaissance Hotel. How far is the Sama Sebo Indonesian restaurant from the hotel? How far in advance do you need to make reservations?

How far is Anne Frank's house from the Renaissance?

We have read (somewhere on these boards) that the Candlelight Canal cruise with wine & cheese is very enjoyable. Do you know if reservations are required. Have you taken this canal ride? Pros or cons? Are there mosquitos?

I have purchased the 72-hr Amsterdam Card in hopes of maximizing our time in your city. Any and all suggestions of must-see's will certainly be appreciated.

Ine - many thanks for all the suggestions you offer. We will be in Amsterdam for 3 days (precruise) July 7, 2007. We are staying at the Renaissance Hotel. How far is the Sama Sebo Indonesian restaurant from the hotel? How far in advance do you need to make reservations?

How far is Anne Frank's house from the Renaissance?

We have read (somewhere on these boards) that the Candlelight Canal cruise with wine & cheese is very enjoyable. Do you know if reservations are required. Have you taken this canal ride? Pros or cons? Are there mosquitos?

I have purchased the 72-hr Amsterdam Card in hopes of maximizing our time in your city. Any and all suggestions of must-see's will certainly be appreciated.

Renaissance Hotel is close to Centraal Station. Opposite CS you will find canalcruises with or without drinks/dinners etc. I always love to do it. Best way to see the city. For the special sailings with wine/dinner etc. you better make reservations.

Nice city maps can be found on:http://www.amsterdam.info/print/map/

Your hotel is on map B4, more or less at the crossing of Nieuwendijk and Singel. Ann Frank is on the south part of Prinsengracht on the same map. It is walkable or take tram 13 from Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal for about 3/4 stops to Westerkerk.

Sama Sebo is close to Rijksmuseum and VanGoghmuseum at van Baerlestraat/PC Hooftstraat. You need tram 24 to get there. Or try Indrapoera on Rembrandtplein, more city center.

Yes we have mosquitos, mostly at night. The hotel might spray the rooms, bring some if you want to sit on outside terraces at night.

You will see most places are close together. Amsterdam is by far not as large as US cities.

Sailaway 5. Just noticed on the HAL board you were at the LV meeting with Lisa and others. I had a meeting like that in LV about 2 years ago with them and again....recently during Lisa's (and Tijas) sailing on Oosterdam in P. vallarta. We had lunch at the beach.

A few years ago it all started when we met John and Donna (Jhannah), and Don and Kay before their sailing on Prinsendam.

Sailaway 5. Just noticed on the HAL board you were at the LV meeting with Lisa and others. I had a meeting like that in LV about 2 years ago with them and again....recently during Lisa's (and Tijas) sailing on Oosterdam in P. vallarta. We had lunch at the beach.

A few years ago it all started when we met John and Donna (Jhannah), and Don and Kay before their sailing on Prinsendam.

Ine: Yes, it was our first CC meeting here in Las Vegas. We are very fortunate to meet such a nice group of people. Bill S had mentioned the great dinner (or lunch) he had at Indrapoera with you. We will try that one since it is closer to our hotel. Will we need reservations before we arrive? Bill S has also given us so many good ideas for the Baltic ports we will be visiting. These boards have been so helpful to me - I just love them.

What is the temperature like in July (we are there 7-7 to 7-10). Thank you so much for all your help.

Hein Bloed and Ine if ya'll would keep us updated on how the blooms are doing, this is one of the things we where planning on doing while we are in Amsterdam but if all the flowers are gone we will have to go to plan B.

Thanks Paul

... and here some impression from today (Easter Saturday) in Central Europe:

Tulips1-vi.jpg

and here:

Tulips2-vi.jpg

I would say: you should come in the next weeks...

Have some nice Easter Holidays!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Ine: Yes, it was our first CC meeting here in Las Vegas. We are very fortunate to meet such a nice group of people. Bill S had mentioned the great dinner (or lunch) he had at Indrapoera with you. We will try that one since it is closer to our hotel. Will we need reservations before we arrive? Bill S has also given us so many good ideas for the Baltic ports we will be visiting. These boards have been so helpful to me - I just love them.

What is the temperature like in July (we are there 7-7 to 7-10). Thank you so much for all your help.

We had a very nice lunchmeeting just a few weeks ago with Lisa, Tija and husbands with more friends of Lisa, all sailing Oosterdam. We happened to be in P. Vallarta during that time.Met Bill last year when in Ams.

You can make advance reservations for Indrapura, either by using their website http://www.indrapura.nl/ or just phone from your hotel as soon as you know what evening you will be there. Bill had dinner and opted for the middle variety of Rijsttafel. (As far as I remember the Nusantara).

Last summer another CC member friend of LA sailed Prinsendam from Amsterdam. We made photos of the ship at the cruise-terminal and while sailing through Northseacanal. Also of the ship sailing into the lock in IJmuiden. Check:

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/Inevd/Prinsendam%20sails%20from%20Amsterdam/

Temperature are always difficult, but in general it can be around 25, (middle 80s). But lower or higher are also possible. Seldom is the weather very stable. (it is at the moment surpisingly warmer then usual and very sunny.)

We had a very nice lunchmeeting just a few weeks ago with Lisa, Tija and husbands with more friends of Lisa, all sailing Oosterdam. We happened to be in P. Vallarta during that time.Met Bill last year when in Ams.

You can make advance reservations for Indrapura, either by using their website http://www.indrapura.nl/ or just phone from your hotel as soon as you know what evening you will be there. Bill had dinner and opted for the middle variety of Rijsttafel. (As far as I remember the Nusantara).

Last summer another CC member friend of LA sailed Prinsendam from Amsterdam. We made photos of the ship at the cruise-terminal and while sailing through Northseacanal. Also of the ship sailing into the lock in IJmuiden. Check:

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/Inevd/Prinsendam%20sails%20from%20Amsterdam/

Temperature are always difficult, but in general it can be around 25, (middle 80s). But lower or higher are also possible. Seldom is the weather very stable. (it is at the moment surpisingly warmer then usual and very sunny.)

Thank you, Ine, for the great photo link. This is a wonderful preview of our upcoming cruise. We are getting very excited. I will add these pictures to my "album". It is not often you can get a pictures of your ship like this. If you are in town, maybe you would like to join us (& our 2 friends) for dinner at the Indrapura.

In your opinion, what are the must sees in Amsterdam? Thanks again.

Heinbloed It looks like the flowers are just about ready to bloom so you think the best veiwing will be in the next 2 weeks. It looks like I am going to have to go to plan B because we do not arrive to Amsterdam until May 15.

Thanks and keep me up to date on the blooms!!!

Paul

Crewsin 250.

The quick way flowers bloom this spring, it looks like it will be over before you arrive here. It is much warmer then usual.

My best quess is, 1st week of May might still be o.k., but hardly anything after that. Unless spring cools down again, but it doesnot look like that.

(Last year openingdays of keukenhof were extended because of the late blooming..)

Sailaway 5.

In Amsterdam there is a lot to see/do, Amsterdam isnot that big compared to US cities.

Of course the Rijksmuseum (Rembrandt), Van Goghmuseum, Ann Frankhouse, Flowermarket, absolutely make a canalcruise (or the special with wine and cheese and/or dinner). http://www.amsterdamcitytours.com/boat-tours.html

Lost of outdoor terraces to have a drink and watch people walk by.

Just walk along the many canals, or make one of those bike-tours.If you like beer: Heineken Experience. There are a few Diamond factories.

More on:http://www.simplyamsterdam.nl/sights.htm

But if you have time enough, also go out of the city. Think about Zaanse Schans: http://www.zaanseschans.nl/ Easy to reach by train from CS in 15/20 minutes. Also the old small town of Delft http://www.delft.nl/webEN/content.jsp?objectid=33500

incl. a visit to Porceleyne Fles:http://www.royaldelft.com/index.cfm?.

Can also be done by train, which Bill S. also did last year.

Please note Lisa has my private e-mail. I will ask her to send it to you.

Ine or HeinBloed,

Can taxis pull right up to the berths of the river boats? Gate1 transfers passengers from the airport to a Welcome Center at the Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Centre. I don't know how far it is to the ship from there. We (4 of us) have our own air and do not have transfers. In fact, we have a pre-cruise night at the Tulip Inn Dam Square, and will taxi to the hotel, or dock if that is possible. We're boarding the MS Bolero Saturday afternoon, 4/14.

Well - if you need the answer after May 20, 2007 I can tell you as I will arrive at this date by JEWEL OF THE SEAS in Amsterdam.

So far I have investigated in preperation to my cruise:

2007AMSPassTerm-vi.jpg

that's the Amsterdam Passenger Terminal-Building.

Where you see the flags on the right is the place all coaches + taxis are waiting.

And you Mövenpick-Hotel is just left of the terminal building within the building complex.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Ine -

Thanks so much for the link to your pics of the Prinsendam. I am going to be on the ship this September and cannot wait. Your pics made my day!

Lynn

Glad to help you. I am sure you will love the ship.

Ine:

Will be studying all of the suggestions and links you have provided. You have given us much to think about. Thank you for providing so much information. We really appreciate it.

Glad to help you. We will be in touch before you sail!

Ine,

I have been reading your information on touring Amsterdam. We will be arriving on the Millenium to spend the day there on Tuesday, April 24 from 8am to 6pm. Is it possible to travel to Keukenhof and take in the sights of Amsterdam in such a short period of time? I think the timing should be perfect for seeing the flowers at their peak (?) but want to do a canal tour and purchase tickets ahead of time for a visit to the Anne Frank House. Do you have a recommendation as to the best way to accomplish this and if doing all of this is even possible?

Please advise! Thank you.

Please read my review of the tour that I took in Amsterdam. The tour guide, Wynand can take you to all the places you want to see in a short time period. He took me to the Keukenhof and it was WONDERFUL!!

Ine,

I have been reading your information on touring Amsterdam. We will be arriving on the Millenium to spend the day there on Tuesday, April 24 from 8am to 6pm. Is it possible to travel to Keukenhof and take in the sights of Amsterdam in such a short period of time? I think the timing should be perfect for seeing the flowers at their peak (?) but want to do a canal tour and purchase tickets ahead of time for a visit to the Anne Frank House. Do you have a recommendation as to the best way to accomplish this and if doing all of this is even possible?

Please advise! Thank you.

I think you might have to make choices that day. Millenium sails in from GB, that means maybe customs has to clear the ship first before passengers can disembark. Normally this is routine, so you could be off between 8.00/8.30. However traffic is rushhour...

Even by car you need 50/60 minutes from port to Keukenhof.

By public transport you can take a train from Amsterdam Centraal Station at 09.02 to Schiphol airport. From there take busnr.58 to Lisse and walk a short distance. You arrrive 1 hour later.

Once in there you can easily spend 3/4 hours.

Back leave at 2.22 pm to Schiphol again, train to CS which arrives at 3.30pm..... (or 1 hour earlier).

Canalboattours take 1 hour at least and inside An Frankhouse you need about 45/60minutes again.

Even with a private driver your time is short, but may be an option for the drive to/from Keukenhof. Maybe he can drop you at An Frank or the canalboat.

PS. If the weather is nice that day, watch for persons waving and making photos along the canal at starboardsite at about 1.15 hr.after leaving Amsterdam...

Thank you, MKTMZM and Ine.

MKTMZM....I read your post but we are 2 couples and the cost jumps significantly! It sounds as though you had a wonderful day.

Ine...I was afraid of just what you had to say in your reply...choices! I had not thought about rush hour traffic but would we not be going against traffic? Also, would you know what cab fare would be to Keukenhof or is that not realistic? Or maybe you have a further recommendation as far as a private car? It seems that "if" we could get there by 10am, tour for an hour, and return by 1pm, we should then have time for the Amsterdam portion. The train system seems as though it could eat up a lot of time. Perhaps, though, I am overrating the importance of Keukenhof. Would we get as much out of the market in Amsterdam? We, actually, will be in Brugge, Belgium the day before.

Once again, any input is much appreciated!

MKTMZM

We have been in touch with Wynard and can hardly wait to meet him. Thank you so much for posting about Senior Holland Travel. I will post after our tour in Amsterdam at the end os this month.

Another couple from our cruise has booked his service for two days. Thanks again for your post.

Alice:)

Thank you, MKTMZM and Ine.

MKTMZM....I read your post but we are 2 couples and the cost jumps significantly! It sounds as though you had a wonderful day.

Ine...I was afraid of just what you had to say in your reply...choices! I had not thought about rush hour traffic but would we not be going against traffic? Also, would you know what cab fare would be to Keukenhof or is that not realistic? Or maybe you have a further recommendation as far as a private car? It seems that "if" we could get there by 10am, tour for an hour, and return by 1pm, we should then have time for the Amsterdam portion. The train system seems as though it could eat up a lot of time. Perhaps, though, I am overrating the importance of Keukenhof. Would we get as much out of the market in Amsterdam? We, actually, will be in Brugge, Belgium the day before.

Once again, any input is much appreciated!

Rushhour can be a problem the first 4/5 miles, after that you will be o.k.

Try to make a deal with a taxidriver at the cruiseterminal, maybe not just going but also for the return. You will not find many taxis at Keukenhof as most passengers arrive by car, public transport or tourbus.. Be aware taxis are expensive in general. Get a map and if you walk around the lake, go in the windmill, you will have covered about 70%.

Double check if Celebrity maybe offers tours to Keukenhof?

Since you will be in Brugge, maybe you better make a canalcruise there and choose Keukenhof in NL, if you love flowers. Remember Keukenhof is only open 10 weeks a year, so should you ever return to Amsterdam you can make a canalcruise year round...

To give you an impression I just put some photos on-line. Check:

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/Inevd/Keukenhof%20and%20flowerfields/

Photos nr. 238 and 239 is outside Keukenhof. on 239 you can see the windmill in Keukenhof in the distance.

Archived