Float Plane/Helicopters

ksilver

There are NO guarantees on a smooth flight. If you aren't comfortable- tell him to go by himself- it is too good to miss and too costly to take someone who is afraid to go. You can stay in town in Juneau or Ketchikan and find plenty to do. Meet back at the gangplank at a certain time. Perhaps you can find a tour of interest to you? I have gone many times in helicopters, floatplanes and regular flightseeing. I've had rough flights in all of them. You are asking a question that can't be answered. And for going next week- BOOK now- there already is very limited availability.

ksilver,

I was a bit nervous with going on a helicopter flight too , but once up and in the air, the thrill and excitement removed any fear I had left. We took the helicopter and dogsledding tour out of Juneau, and the helicopter portion is so memorable and breathtaking.

I was completely amazed at how smooth our flight was. We hit a lot more turbulance just flying from LA to Seattle. Actually I don't remember the helicopter hitting any kind of turbulance at all. Perhaps it was pilot skill, or maybe it was just darn good luck. The weather that day in Juneau was rainy and partially cloudy, but I felt safe the entire time on the flight.

My recommendation would be to do your research on the safety records of the various flight operators and go with one you feel comfortable with. In our case, we went with Era Aviation.

Seeing the glaciers from above and having a chance to land on and exploring them is a wonderful experience, and one I hope you get a chance to take.

We just got back and did a helicopter in Juneau and a float plane in Ketchikan... definately go with the float plane. Call Island Wings and see the Misty Fjords with Michelle. The scenery is so breathtaking that you won't have time to be scared. Plus, one of the women that went in our group was TERRIFIED and Michelle had her at ease before long. They book up quick, so make reservations ahead of time. Have fun! Kim

Archived