Teenager on Naviator - Mediterranean Trip, Summer 07

nhmomjcd

We are trying to decide whether we want to take Regent thru the Mediterranean with our teenagers this summer or deal with the masses on a RCI cruise thru the Mediterranean (more fun for them??).

We have heard so much about this cruise line and I've been reading alot of the boards trying to decide on which ship to take. Our travel agent is recommending this cruise line and thinks it will not be a problem with the kids. Any opinions would be helpful from seasoned travelers on their views of this ship line with teenagers during the summer. Can I find out how many kids are booked on this trip now?

Any help would be appreciated...

Many European extended families vacation during the summer months in the Mediterranean on upscale cruise lines. I'm confident this will be a great way to utilize any language skills your teens have acquired in school. They'll fit right in and enjoy themselves.

Rick

Your TA can find out right now how many other teens are booked. I cannot vouch for the Med cruises but I can tell you that we have done the Panama Canal, Western Caribbean, British Isles, Alaska (4 times) and are booked on the March 30 cruise with our now 15 year old son. We have cruised on HAL, Celebrity and Disney also and he says hands down that he prefers Regent. As parents we think their youth program is just exceptional. As a cruise line we all prefer the smaller size ships, the small crowds, the incredible flexibility in diing, the attentive crew who pay as much attention to the young adults as to their folks. You will read many posts about this being a line that is more suited to 'adults'. You will also read posts who state they know kids were on board but were not bothered by them and rarely saw them. I can't speak for other families who have cruised with Regent. I can say that our child has been sailing with them since age 7. He knows how to behave, knows what we expect and he loves the cruising as much as we do. He likes their program because instead of 60 or 100 or 200 kids in his age group there may only be about a dozen. Regent does a good job of splitting the kids up in to age appropriate groups doing age appropriate things. He has made some good friends over the years who he still stays in contact with. On sea days we never see him except at dinner and then afterwards its back off to youth group. On port days there are always evening events and usually afternoon events for those who don't want to go ashore with their folks or who do morning excursions and come back for the afternoon. Many of the counselors are repeat employees. They do a good job of not treating the teens like 'summer campers' and find and create activities that really make them want to join in. Of course you will always see kids on board and ask your child if they know them and they will say no. Some kids just are shy or don't join in. But for kids who want to meet others and do fun things Regent has the best game going that we know of. Our son developed a strong and continuing love of cooking on the British Isles cruise after his group had a private afternoon with the young and innovative chef. He had his first cup of coffee with pals after dinner one night while putting together a puzzle after dinner. During a teen scavenger hunt on one Alaska cruise he learned how to work in a team with 3 others he had never even met but who quickly became his buddies for the rest of the cruise. There is no perfect cruise and no perfect cruise line. I can only comment on some of the reasons we enjoy Regent. We see the huge ships in port with the long lines to return and we are so happy to be on Regent. We see how happy our kid is and thus how much more relaxed we can be and we are happy. You know your children. You will have to decide what you think will be best for your family. Whatever you decide, happy cruising:)

Sounds like your son loves the experience, that is wonderful. I know that my 15 will be looking to do something with others on board. How about the food, are their some sample menu's online to look at?

Are there dedicated areas for teens on that Navigator ship?

Thank you for your very detailed response !

My kids are a bit younger, but I have a good bit of experience with the kid's program. There is no true dedicated area on the Navigator, but there are certain areas which are used regularly. It is nothing like what you find on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, etc.

HOWEVER, even with less kids and no dedicated areas I pretty much universally hear from kids of all ages that they prefer the more personal experience and the more upscale feel of the Regent ships. Teens, especially, tend to appreciate things they would be reluctant to admit to when at home.

As far as the menu, there are a number of kid-friendly foods and the menus change daily, so I don't think you will have an issue.

One other point to consider: In the Med the itineraries are fairly port intensive and with longer times in port. Therefore your ship is more of a resting and rejuvenation station rather than the destination, so it can be less critical when it comes to keeping children occupied or entertained.

My boys love RSSC--but they are very well-travelled and know how to behave. They like actual good food, rather than junk food, and like to try new things. They enjoyed the youth program, and they like visiting different ports. But you have to have the right kind of kid--if all they like to do is play video games and talk to their friends, they may not like this kind of a cruise.

WE were on the Christmas cruise on Navigator. My kids, though slightly younger, had a great time. They are not too sophisticated about food, but they always found something they loved. While no real teen area, they always had someplace to go and loved the people they met and hung out with. My older daughter, now 15, has also been on an RCI cruise, and was prepared to not enjoy the Navigator...she said hands down she loved every minute of it!

Sounds like your son loves the experience, that is wonderful. I know that my 15 will be looking to do something with others on board. How about the food, are their some sample menu's online to look at?

Are there dedicated areas for teens on that Navigator ship?

Thank you for your very detailed response !

Hi,

No, there are no dedicated areas for teens on Navigator ( or on any Regent ship). The Navigator ( which we love) is a small ship. As somebody said before, only you know your kids. We have taken 3 Regent cruises in the last 7 years and are booked for another later this year. We have kids ages 12 and 17 and we have never brought them with us. Maybe if they had youth program when they were much younger I would have considered it. But now, I know they would be bored to tears. They are not into long , leisure meals and conversation. I am not even sure where onNavigator would a group of 15 years old hang out. I don't know what activities they can organize to entertain a 15 year old. That's different that , for example, entertaining a 10 yr. old.

Maybe if it is a port intensive cruise it won't be a problem for your son. Again, only you know that.

We are departing on Friday with our 9 and 14 year old for a 10 night cruise on the Mariner. I am hoping for the best, but have made sure to pack plenty of books/cards/small games in case they get bored. I am hoping to find other families since this trip will take place over Spring Break.

Nancy

My kids eat dinner with us all year long and we are together all day on excursions, etc. As it is their vacation too, they are very happy to have room service (where they can order off the dining room menu) and then head out to the kids program and hang with their friends (and on Spring Break there will be friends to be sure) rather than hang with adults with their boring conversations.

I also find that good quality radios (walkie talkies) set to vibrate are a great way to give them independence but allow monitoring without disturbing dinner, shows or drinks with "Dad! Is it all right if I...." I feel the buzz, excuse myself and deal with the request without disturbing anyone.

BTW, while there is no specific kid's facility, on each ship there is a room that is essentially the kid's facility complete with video games, movies, etc. Even on the larger lines the older kids are moved about the ships to different venues. It would get boring hanging out in the same room/jail.

We took our then 11- and 13-year old daughters to Alaska on the Mariner in 2004 and they had a blast. There weren't that many other kids on the trip, teenage or otherwise, but that didn't seem to matter. They didn't choose to participate in the kids' program. It helped that they had each other - they fight like cats and dogs at home but manage to have a great time together on trips! They loved dressing up for dinner (even Country Club casual is dressing up to them) and loved trying the different food, especially the desserts. We chose excursions that would appeal to them - rafting, the train from Skagway, hiking, etc. We had such a great time we're going to Tahiti on the PG this summer. They're a bit older now - 14 and 16 - and are so excited about the trip they can hardly stand it. I think they like being among the few kids on board because the crew treats them especially nice, as do the rest of the cruisers!

Archived